Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Star Wars - The Last Jedi 00:12 - Dec 15 with 13416 viewsHooped_Pullie

Anyone else seen it yet ? Verdicts, opinions ? (Preferably spoiler-free for those yet to go)...

Saw it today at a 12.20pm show in the Enfield Cineworld - place was rammed out, so odd-feeling for the day and time. I guess only Star Wars could do that these days, plenty around me had clearly taken time off work to be there. Sat right next to a trendy young couple who couldn't stop fidgeting and eventually left twenty minutes before the end of the film. Fomo their motivation, I assume, but bloody annoying.

As for the film...

I thought a decent 9/10 - doesn't disappoint overall, but I'd agree with those critics who've said it drags in the middle. It definitely does, and it's a pity because lopping off 20 minutes would really have made a very good film even better. I won't give anything away, but if I were to be tempted I'd say the surprises lie more in what doesn't happen than what does. Hamill has never been better as Luke, and most of Carrie Fisher's scenes (particularly in the final hour of the film) are almost unbearably poignant. Everyone else in the cast is good as well, it must be said.

If you're a fan, I think it'll deliver for you, it did for me.
Star Wars - The Last Jedi on 17:51 - Dec 20 with 2621 viewsToast_R

See it this afternoon, shed out £20 notes for the 3D iMax experience. Enjoyed it immensely. I won't bother disecting it, it's Star Wars - plenty of action and just a solid 2 hours of pure escapism. 8.5/10. Better then Force Awakens but no as good as Rogue One.
Star Wars - The Last Jedi on 21:29 - Dec 21 with 2525 viewsbosh67

Star Wars - The Last Jedi on 17:51 - Dec 20 by Toast_R

See it this afternoon, shed out £20 notes for the 3D iMax experience. Enjoyed it immensely. I won't bother disecting it, it's Star Wars - plenty of action and just a solid 2 hours of pure escapism. 8.5/10. Better then Force Awakens but no as good as Rogue One.

Totally agree. Better than Force Awakens but not quite the tightness of story of Rogue One.

Liked the humour in it, a tilt of the hat to a lot of older fans. Especially the call holding thing at the beginning, which was tremendous.

I feel a bit sorry for Adam Driver. He's a fantastic actor slightly contained in a total knob of a character.

Ade Edmondson does a great cameo although I wanted him to git someone with a frying pan.
[Post edited 21 Dec 2017 22:01]

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Star Wars - The Last Jedi on 23:28 - Dec 28 with 2387 viewslondonscottish

Saw it today - it was my kid's birthday treat.

F*ck me it does goes on, doesn't it?

Thought it was never going to end.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Star Wars - The Last Jedi on 23:45 - Dec 28 with 2372 viewsPunteR

Star Wars - The Last Jedi on 23:28 - Dec 28 by londonscottish

Saw it today - it was my kid's birthday treat.

F*ck me it does goes on, doesn't it?

Thought it was never going to end.

Its never going to end.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Star Wars - The Last Jedi on 09:23 - Dec 29 with 2321 viewslondonscottish

Star Wars - The Last Jedi on 23:45 - Dec 28 by PunteR

Its never going to end.

That's what I'm worried about.

Having been bored to tears by The Force Awakens and then pleasantly surprised by Rogue 1 I was actually looking forward to this one.

But it was much more like TFA than R1. It had that that bloke playing Kylo whatissname for starters. And lots of long plodding scenes between the CGI stuff. And when there were long CGI battles I only watched with a sense of vague interest in that I wasn't that bothered about in any of the characters and they all seemed pretty bored trotting out predictable Star Wars cliches most of the time. This is where R1, to me, was massively better.

In fact the only interesting character in this one was the code breaker but he wasn't in it for long.

The kids liked it but it didn't really do it for me.
[Post edited 29 Dec 2017 9:26]

Star Wars - The Last Jedi on 13:19 - Dec 29 with 2254 viewsrsonist

Star Wars - The Last Jedi on 23:45 - Dec 28 by PunteR

Its never going to end.

New one every Xmas until we die I expect.
Star Wars - The Last Jedi on 13:44 - Dec 29 with 2235 viewsToast_R

Star Wars - The Last Jedi on 13:19 - Dec 29 by rsonist

Indeed, it's the Haan Solo story next I believe. Ron Howard directs this one having picked up the reigns from the previous director who apparently quit on set.
Star Wars - The Last Jedi on 14:00 - Dec 29 with 2229 viewslondonscottish

Star Wars - The Last Jedi on 13:19 - Dec 29 by rsonist

Christ. My youngest is only 10. Gulp.

Login to get fewer ads

Star Wars - The Last Jedi on 14:09 - Dec 29 with 2225 viewsthehat

Thought it was average at best - It could and should of been so much better - It had all the ingredients to be a classic but was left feeling quite disapointed.
Star Wars - The Last Jedi on 16:26 - Dec 29 with 2194 views1MoreBrightonR

Honestly debated walking out. I'm not a Star Wars nut but enjoy them and make sure i catch them in the cinema. Really enjoyed the last two but this was a jumbled mess. terrible characters, awful script, some awful attempts at humour and at times it felt more like a harry potter type film where they were just throwing in magical creatures for the sake of it.
Star Wars - The Last Jedi on 16:27 - Dec 29 with 2194 viewslondonscottish

Star Wars - The Last Jedi on 14:09 - Dec 29 by thehat

Thought it was average at best - It could and should of been so much better - It had all the ingredients to be a classic but was left feeling quite disapointed.

The production values were pretty high - like Rogue 1.

It was the dialogue that was a bit clunky to me - more like the Force Awakens.

Star Wars - The Last Jedi on 16:58 - Dec 29 with 2181 viewsPunteR

Star Wars - The Last Jedi on 16:27 - Dec 29 by londonscottish

The production values were pretty high - like Rogue 1.

It was the dialogue that was a bit clunky to me - more like the Force Awakens.

I loved the originals as a kid , Star Wars is just etched into my DNA as it with most my age but the prequels that came out after were an absolute disaster imo and a part of me died when jar jar binks showed his stupid face .
Force Awakens brought the story back round and JJ Abrams made the film that should have been made after Return of the Jedi. I thought it was great.
As Thamehoop says, the Force Awakens has now effectively killed off those characters from the originals, so i guess that's it now for fans of a certain age(me included) with a vested interest in how the story pans out and Disney are now picking the story up for the next generation of fans. (my son aged 9).
Its always been a daft and clunky film but while i still remember myself running around the school playground when i was 6 years old as Luke Skywalker i'll always have a fondness for the films. I honestly nearly shed a tear when Solo died. But then again i'm a daft nostalgic bugger.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Star Wars - The Last Jedi on 17:25 - Dec 29 with 2169 viewsAshdown_Ranger

Star Wars - The Last Jedi on 16:58 - Dec 29 by PunteR

I loved the originals as a kid , Star Wars is just etched into my DNA as it with most my age but the prequels that came out after were an absolute disaster imo and a part of me died when jar jar binks showed his stupid face .
Force Awakens brought the story back round and JJ Abrams made the film that should have been made after Return of the Jedi. I thought it was great.
As Thamehoop says, the Force Awakens has now effectively killed off those characters from the originals, so i guess that's it now for fans of a certain age(me included) with a vested interest in how the story pans out and Disney are now picking the story up for the next generation of fans. (my son aged 9).
Its always been a daft and clunky film but while i still remember myself running around the school playground when i was 6 years old as Luke Skywalker i'll always have a fondness for the films. I honestly nearly shed a tear when Solo died. But then again i'm a daft nostalgic bugger.

"But then again i'm a daft nostalgic bugger."

Ah, nostalgia... it ain't what it used to be...
Star Wars - The Last Jedi on 23:30 - Dec 29 with 2117 viewsSydneyRs

Surprised at the negative comments here. Saw it yesterday and absolutely loved it!
Star Wars - The Last Jedi on 14:15 - Dec 30 with 2053 viewsheadhoops

scene one: good vs bad - may the force be with you.
scene two: good vs bad - the rebel alliance must be strong
scene three: good vs bad - may the force be with you.
scene four: good vs bad - the rebel alliance must be strong

rpt rpt

scene thirty two: good vs bad - the rebel alliance lives on.

CGI is half decent - plot is thinner than Ralph Coates hair. Loved the scene when the rebel ship crashed at light speed into Snook's ship - cue Armageddon in the hanger where John boyega stands without a speck of dust on him or the chinese girl - literally everything else is toast.

as the Scots would say - George Lucas does Star wars and Walt Does'nee.

Loved some of the earlier films but this is a Christmas Turkey.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

Star Wars - The Last Jedi on 16:10 - Dec 30 with 2027 viewsJuzzie

Saw it last might. 6/10.

Echo many comments on here. I was a huge fan as a kid (10 when first one came out) and since the original trilogy my expectations have been very high, maybe too high.

The next three (the prequals) were pretty poor and Force Awakens was ok but just seemed to be a rehash of Episode 4.

The Empire/New Order really need to make their spaceships/stations harder to blow up.

I found Last Jedi to be with little substance and messy. 30 mins too long and flat in the middle.

It was too 'Disney' for the first third and for me only really got going about 10 mins before Yoda appeared and then it got better from there.

It does feel they're winding down old characters and feeding in new ones but does it take 2-3 movies to do that?
I'm guessig Ep 9, 10 and beyond will have little resemblance to me from the original films but I guess its all about attracting the you ger generation, just as they did with me in '77.
Star Wars - The Last Jedi on 10:15 - Dec 31 with 1970 viewsOrthodox_Hoop

Finally saw it the other day with daughter number 1. As much as I wanted to like it I just couldn't. Parts of the start and end were good, but the film is too long for starters with a glossy bloated middle bit that makes no sense and is essentially an advert for a bunch of new toys they'll undoubtedly make a mint from. Saying all that, I think it's a step in the right direction to try and revamp the series, but the execution itself was very strange.

As I exited the cinema a 9 year old kid excitedly told one of his mates "this is my new favourite Star Wars movie along with Attack of the Clones" which made me realise how shrewd these Disney types are. There is an entirely new generation of Star Wars fans growing up, for whom the prequels were probably amazing and are lapping up the jolly Marvel movies. They are quite rightly the new target audience, so us oldies need to accept that and let them enjoy these new films.

For me though, RIP Star Wars as I know it.
Star Wars - The Last Jedi on 11:18 - Dec 31 with 1942 viewsconnell10

I thought it was great , not as good as rogue 1 but still a great film , also Eddie hitler had a cameo in it at the start!!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024