Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Surreal Shittu 16:38 - Jan 25 with 11524 viewsHadders

I'm supply teaching at the moment and have been teaching for a couple of weeks in a small primary school in New Southgate, where today they had an Ambitions' Day, with kids and staff dressing up in the outfit of their dream job (a lot of footballers, doctors, pop-singers - not so many regional managers). They had an assembly this morning with a parent speaking as a special guest: Danny Shittu!

He stood with a display of paraphernalia on stage behind him ( Drogba and Adeybayor shirts, QPR away, a souvenir from the South Africa World Cup...) and showed pictures on a screen of him playing in various games, including one (most impressive to kids) of him (playing for Nigeria) clattering into Messi. He spoke with passion about the value of holding on to a dream and working hard in school (mentioning the need for a fall-back if things don't work out), and certainly made a positive impression on the kids. Teachers told me he is very involved with the school and is much-liked by staff.

After his talk, I had to speak up, and ended up being asked by the headteacher to lead the entire school in three rounds of the chim-chimeny, chim-chimeny song, to everyone's amusement or bemusement. Danny covered his face in mock embarrassment, but was very friendly afterwards and clearly loved it. One of the more surreal moments of my life, for sure...
[Post edited 26 Jan 2018 1:01]
Surreal Shittu on 17:58 - Jan 26 with 3615 viewsAntti_Heinola

Surreal Shittu on 12:00 - Jan 26 by Maggsinho

Point 3 was Alan Lee vs Cardiff wasn't it? I remember gleefully recounting that chain of events to my dad afterwards.

you might be right, i've got a terrible memory!

Bare bones.

Surreal Shittu on 18:53 - Jan 26 with 3570 viewsFearless

Makavelli stuck his tongue in Danny Shittu a ear after the boro away 0-3 win
Surreal Shittu on 19:06 - Jan 26 with 3555 views_tf_

Danny 1 - away at Chesterfield, bullet header in front of everyone on that awful terrace, rips shirt off and adopts full on Hulk muscle squeeze resulting in a moment of near silent reverence before mad goal celebration

Danny 2 - having stood on the Bob Bank at Cardiff pretending to be Welsh with Mrs _tf_ (we may as well have been wearing pearly queen outfits and troughing jellied eels) we slunk back to the car park and were late leaving but very pleased with a one all draw (Matt Rose missed a sitter), got level with the Rangers coach as it was loading, windows down, full blown "You Rs" and Danny making a point of coming back out of the coach to give us a big thumbs up.

Possibly my favourite QPR player of all time.
Surreal Shittu on 19:10 - Jan 26 with 3549 viewsHantsR

Surreal Shittu on 11:52 - Jan 26 by Antti_Heinola

Ah, man. One of my all time favourites, top 10 for sure, and yet somehow not even my favourite QPR centre back called Danny. But there you go.

Three memories among many.

1. At Bournemouth, we won 2-1, he was on loan. He celebrated so much, I said to my Dad, 'I think he might sign for us,' even though we thought he was too good. But he did. You could tell he loved the club.

2. The time, possibly also against Bournemouth, when he played on after he'd done his ACL?

3. And I think this was v Norwich. Grant Holt, I think, elbowed him once. Danny didn't rise to it. So he tried again. Danny got a bit angry. A third time. Danny had to go off for treatment. Danny was not f'ing happy. We have a corner. He sprints on. The ground is shaking. Ball in. Bang. Goal. Well done Holty, that worked a treat, son, you ignorant pr!ck.

No 2 (bit unfortunate for Shittu? - carry on) was the memory that I recalled first. I think it was that game where I seem to remember a radio commentator saying how come he was an international player as he was plainly so poorly. Who would have known he had an ACL?

Love the guy.
Surreal Shittu on 20:39 - Jan 26 with 3475 viewsHadders

I'm working in the same school next week and will make sure to catch my new mate Danny and tell him about this thread, so keep 'em coming! One thought I just had is that I guess he is the sort of guy who would have given his all for whoever he played for - so that Millwall fans, for instance, seem to have loved him too.
[Post edited 27 Jan 2018 22:19]
Surreal Shittu on 21:32 - Jan 26 with 3433 viewsDeepcutHoop

Surreal Shittu on 08:30 - Jan 26 by LimehouseR

All of the above are great memories.
I was also there for his debut and despite the red card I thought, finally a proper centre back!

For some reason I've always remembered a game at Loftus Road when we must have been a few goals to the good because Danny was coming forward from the back, crossed the half way line and there were ridiculous cries of 'SHOOOOOOT' from everyone. So about 35 yards out he did. The ball flew dead straight towards the goal and crashed off the the bar, keeper rooted to the spot. Cries of 'Ohhhh' and applause from the crowd. Would have been some goal. Big Dan just jogged back to our half sheepishly with a mischeivous smile. Good times!

What an absolute top bloke and one of the reasons I used to go to every game back then. Not so much now. You could tell they really cared. There's never really been a group of players of since the likes of Dan, Furlong, Gallen, Rowlands etc.

EDIT: just searched on you tube, could have been this!

[Post edited 26 Jan 2018 8:38]

Remember watching that from almost directly behind, never seen a shot hit so hard!

I remember a Giggs-esque charge down the left wing followed by a peach of a cross that was greeted by gales of laughter at the sheer brilliance of it and the fact that it was this huge CB that had done it.

Absolutely love Danny Shittu, one of my favourite ever Rangers players for sure.
Surreal Shittu on 08:32 - Jan 27 with 3357 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Fantastic centre back for us. "Shittu's gonna get yer"

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Surreal Shittu on 08:46 - Jan 27 with 3349 viewssupahoopsa

One of my favourites was when the team sheet was read out at one game - Shittu, DouDou and Agoogoo (I think that was how it was spelt).

Blue & White hooped blood runs through the family

Login to get fewer ads

Surreal Shittu on 09:45 - Jan 27 with 3313 viewsRangersDave

Big Dan’s first goal, at Mansfield!

His passion, the fans adulation....... said it all.

Those that were there will remember, I did as I got carried away and as he vaulted the pitch barriers and came to the bottom of the stand I was there to share with the big guy.
Always a gent, gave my son his autograph at Kettering pre-season on his warm down

Has time for all, and is still a great ambassador for the club, in my eyes.

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Surreal Shittu on 16:11 - Jan 30 with 3170 viewsHadders

Briefly spoke to our man this morning and told him about this thread; just writing this to get it back on the first page, so he can easily find it!
Surreal Shittu on 16:54 - Jan 30 with 3119 viewsWestbourneR

When we did the parade thing after promotion to the Championship me and my mate saw Danny on the open top bus and squealed like teenage girls. I remember his mum looked properly weirded out by it.

Anyway I gave him my shirt - that terrible thin Binatone one we had in League One - and he signed it. Still got it.

That's my Shittu love story. What a man.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Surreal Shittu on 09:15 - Feb 1 with 2913 viewsYorkRanger

This may sound odd, but bumped into him in the toilets at the first class lounge at Kings Cross. He was with Millwall at the time and another player was with him. Had a chat told him how much I loved that time when he was at Rangers - he got the other player to take a photo of us on my phone. Really nice guy, friendly no arrogance and happy to make the time for some reflection on his QPR days...
Surreal Shittu on 20:15 - Feb 10 with 2731 viewsOnlyMe

Surreal Shittu on 19:06 - Jan 26 by _tf_

Danny 1 - away at Chesterfield, bullet header in front of everyone on that awful terrace, rips shirt off and adopts full on Hulk muscle squeeze resulting in a moment of near silent reverence before mad goal celebration

Danny 2 - having stood on the Bob Bank at Cardiff pretending to be Welsh with Mrs _tf_ (we may as well have been wearing pearly queen outfits and troughing jellied eels) we slunk back to the car park and were late leaving but very pleased with a one all draw (Matt Rose missed a sitter), got level with the Rangers coach as it was loading, windows down, full blown "You Rs" and Danny making a point of coming back out of the coach to give us a big thumbs up.

Possibly my favourite QPR player of all time.

Chesterfield? Bad terrace? My first time there we were in the stand at that terrace end. The first time we jumped around a bit we got showered with rust from the roof and someone jumped onto one of the bench seats and put his foot half through it.

And then there was the local police shepherding people off the Rs Family coach and filming them while they did it.

On the plus side, it always seemed an easy and quickish place to drive to.
Surreal Shittu on 21:59 - Feb 10 with 2634 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/17/football-manager-neil-warnock-made-pl
[Post edited 11 Feb 2018 0:06]
Surreal Shittu on 22:41 - Feb 10 with 2588 viewsPunteR

Surreal Shittu on 21:59 - Feb 10 by BazzaInTheLoft

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/17/football-manager-neil-warnock-made-pl

I'd pay Warnock to play if i had the money

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Surreal Shittu on 22:49 - Feb 10 with 2578 viewsAntti_Heinola

Surreal Shittu on 21:59 - Feb 10 by BazzaInTheLoft

JUst putting ‘allegedly’ in there doesnt make it any less libellous, byvthe way.

But the practice of a manager (not warnock of course) putting a sub on forv5 mibs and then sharing his appearance fee is not uncommon. Still, clive should probably take your post down - unless you can back it up?

Bare bones.

Surreal Shittu on 00:10 - Feb 11 with 2529 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Surreal Shittu on 22:49 - Feb 10 by Antti_Heinola

JUst putting ‘allegedly’ in there doesnt make it any less libellous, byvthe way.

But the practice of a manager (not warnock of course) putting a sub on forv5 mibs and then sharing his appearance fee is not uncommon. Still, clive should probably take your post down - unless you can back it up?

Lots of corrupt things are common, and are no less corrupt because they are frequent.

It’s not right to turn a blind eye because it’s inconveniant either.

Thanks for the free legal advice.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024