Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Six Nations 2018 12:41 - Jan 31 with 21832 viewsrobith

Kicks off this weekend! Thought it might be good to take people's mind off the doom at the moment.

Some shameless pluging as well, you may know I used to write the old blogs, well I've now started a podcast as well, which I'd be honoured if you gave it a listen. Preview of the tournament and my squeaky voice for you delection

https://soundcloud.com/user-152690766/1-six-nations-preview

(apols for plugging clive, let me know if it's not cool and I'll take it down)

Anyway open tournament - England have a lot of injuries as do Wales. Kinda makes Ireland favourites by default, and despite my recent scepticism on us, we really should be winning it.

Scotland are the glamour team, but they're missing a lot of front rowers so will their backs get the ball enough? Wales have had to pick a lot of the Scarlets players so will be interesting to see how they play.

I reckon

Ireland
England
Scotland
Wales
France
Italy

FAO: people who will moan about pubs with made up stories about rugby fans. We've heard it all before so maybe lay off it? Surely preferable to gastro pubs full of Cockney Reds on a Sunday #winkyface #banter #earlybirdcatchestheworm
Six Nations 2018 on 18:48 - Feb 5 with 3230 viewsrobith

Six Nations 2018 on 10:31 - Feb 5 by Phildo

....with a special mention for Murrays pass back to Sexton for the DK.

Scotland though. Dear me.

Murray's passing through those 41 phases is absolutely out of this world
Six Nations 2018 on 22:56 - Feb 5 with 3176 viewsSimonJames

Scotland were atrocious.

England did enough, but can't afford to allow runners from the other teams to pour through their midfield like they let Castello and Boni do.
Shame Eddie has replaced Youngs with Wigglesworth rather than Dan Robson.

Apparently the French keep their brains behind their patelas.

Plays like that last push by Ireland are what wins tournaments - but they need to buck up their ideas a bit.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Six Nations 2018 on 23:53 - Feb 10 with 3040 viewsbob566

England were crap. Wales should have won. Too many knock ons
Six Nations 2018 on 07:22 - Feb 11 with 2969 viewsBlackCrowe

Six Nations 2018 on 23:53 - Feb 10 by bob566

England were crap. Wales should have won. Too many knock ons

Disagree with 1 and 2 and with such foul weather knock ons were always going to happen.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Six Nations 2018 on 09:02 - Feb 11 with 2927 viewsrrrspricey

Six Nations 2018 on 07:22 - Feb 11 by BlackCrowe

Disagree with 1 and 2 and with such foul weather knock ons were always going to happen.

Whatever way you look at it Wales were robbed. Not heard one person other than the cvnt Kiwi tmo say that wasn't a try
Six Nations 2018 on 09:52 - Feb 11 with 2900 viewsLblock

Six Nations 2018 on 09:02 - Feb 11 by rrrspricey

Whatever way you look at it Wales were robbed. Not heard one person other than the cvnt Kiwi tmo say that wasn't a try

Makes it all the more sweeter..... X

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Six Nations 2018 on 11:18 - Feb 11 with 2857 viewsJamesB1979

Six Nations 2018 on 09:02 - Feb 11 by rrrspricey

Not sure how you work that out. Would have been 12-5 or 12-7 at half time. The 3 wales got was from the penalty awarded when they didn’t get the try. So, 12-10 final score. Personally I thought the chap knocked it on to his knee, so no try.
Six Nations 2018 on 11:26 - Feb 11 with 2852 viewskingo

Personally I thought the TMO got it right as the wording of the law says ‘holding ‘ the ball and at no time was the Wales player holding the ball, or had it under control although control is not a key word.

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

Login to get fewer ads

Six Nations 2018 on 11:39 - Feb 11 with 2839 viewsrrrspricey

Six Nations 2018 on 11:26 - Feb 11 by kingo

Personally I thought the TMO got it right as the wording of the law says ‘holding ‘ the ball and at no time was the Wales player holding the ball, or had it under control although control is not a key word.

Ok, you and the cvnt Kiwi both know better than Sir Clive and pro's that have played for both countries.
Six Nations 2018 on 11:56 - Feb 11 with 2827 viewskingo

Six Nations 2018 on 11:39 - Feb 11 by rrrspricey

Ok, you and the cvnt Kiwi both know better than Sir Clive and pro's that have played for both countries.

The ONLY person who mattered was the TMO. Again, personal I think the panel got sidetracked into talking about downward pressure and having the ball under control, but that is just my opinion.

Six Nations 2018 on 11:58 - Feb 11 with 2824 viewsJamesB1979

Six Nations 2018 on 11:39 - Feb 11 by rrrspricey

As said above would have made no difference to result. Happy days.
Six Nations 2018 on 12:12 - Feb 11 with 2809 viewsMrSheen

I'm probably biased as a referee, but I hate all the manufactured outrage about refereeing. It's a real weakness of the sport that it can let itself be poisoned by self pity and jingoism so easily.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11992288
Six Nations 2018 on 12:32 - Feb 11 with 2787 viewsOldPedro

Six Nations 2018 on 11:56 - Feb 11 by kingo

The ONLY person who mattered was the TMO. Again, personal I think the panel got sidetracked into talking about downward pressure and having the ball under control, but that is just my opinion.

The World Rugby Laws 2018 state:
Law 8
A try is scored when an attacking player:
a. Is first to ground the ball in the opponents’ in-goal, against the opponents’ goal post or its surrounding padding.

No reference to downward pressure any more, so it should have been awarded but irrelevant now as TMO didn't give it (unfortunately)

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Six Nations 2018 on 14:23 - Feb 11 with 2744 viewskingo

Six Nations 2018 on 12:32 - Feb 11 by OldPedro

The World Rugby Laws 2018 state:
Law 8
A try is scored when an attacking player:
a. Is first to ground the ball in the opponents’ in-goal, against the opponents’ goal post or its surrounding padding.

No reference to downward pressure any more, so it should have been awarded but irrelevant now as TMO didn't give it (unfortunately)

I think you need to look at Law 21 which is to do with grounding the ball. This says that you ground the ball by holding the ball and and touching the ground with it or by pressing down on it with a hand or hands or other parts of the upper body. This is where the discussion is centred. Was he holding it ? Did he press down on it with his hand?

Six Nations 2018 on 14:40 - Feb 11 with 2729 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Eddie Jones is the Neil Warnock of Rugby.

Discuss.
Six Nations 2018 on 19:05 - Feb 11 with 2650 viewslondonscottish

Bit more like it from Scotland today.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Six Nations 2018 on 19:24 - Feb 11 with 2638 viewsSimonJames

If Wales had been awarded the try there's no reason to suggest that they would have won the game. Sam Warburton himself said he thought England edged it.

Besides, I didn't see Wales trying to give back last week's 4 try bonus point that they didn't deserve, because of a forward pass that the ref/TMO failed to spot. That point could end up putting them a place higher than they deserve to be at the end of the tournament.

Six Nations 2018 on 19:41 - Feb 11 with 2619 viewsTheBlob

Much weeping,gnashing of teeth,girlfriends consoling distaught boyfreinds last night in Aberystwyth.
Deep joy at the injustices of the rugby world.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Six Nations 2018 on 20:02 - Feb 11 with 2612 viewsBlackCrowe

Six Nations 2018 on 19:05 - Feb 11 by londonscottish

Bit more like it from Scotland today.

Aside from occasional flashes of flair, Finn Russell looks a bit of show pony. If i was Scottish i'd be flipping p*ssed off at this inane grinning after he'd made another fck up.

Good second half from the Scots though. French looked spent.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Six Nations 2018 on 09:02 - Feb 12 with 2454 viewsElHoop

I was at the game on Saturday so you don't get all of the controversy in quite the same way as you assume that they've got it right if they look at the videos, but if i were Welsh I'd be bloody furious about this.

They've already lost Halfpenny at the last minute due to a foot infection or something and so you've lost a quality international kicker. You presumably hope that the replacement Anscombe can do something and he does - he scores a try which is then disallowed.

It's disallowed because the English player got there first, which he clearly didn't. It was a tight game, and as with Italy England stole an early lead with a couple of tries and then we weren't wholly convincing after that. I feel that the disallowed try ruined the game a little as you just don't know what would have happened, and it was unnecessarily ruined.

Now we go to Scotland and you can see the same again - Scotland conceding early tries and England taking a lead which is never surrendered.

Meanwhile Wales clearly have North fit to start in the side to go to Dublin - Liam Williams turned out for Saracens at the weekend and presumably Halfpenny will be fit again, so I think that it's generally gone England's way this weekend, if it turns out to be an England Ireland Wales round robin tournament.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2018 9:03]
Six Nations 2018 on 09:25 - Feb 12 with 2443 viewsMrSheen

Six Nations 2018 on 09:02 - Feb 12 by ElHoop

I was at the game on Saturday so you don't get all of the controversy in quite the same way as you assume that they've got it right if they look at the videos, but if i were Welsh I'd be bloody furious about this.

They've already lost Halfpenny at the last minute due to a foot infection or something and so you've lost a quality international kicker. You presumably hope that the replacement Anscombe can do something and he does - he scores a try which is then disallowed.

It's disallowed because the English player got there first, which he clearly didn't. It was a tight game, and as with Italy England stole an early lead with a couple of tries and then we weren't wholly convincing after that. I feel that the disallowed try ruined the game a little as you just don't know what would have happened, and it was unnecessarily ruined.

Now we go to Scotland and you can see the same again - Scotland conceding early tries and England taking a lead which is never surrendered.

Meanwhile Wales clearly have North fit to start in the side to go to Dublin - Liam Williams turned out for Saracens at the weekend and presumably Halfpenny will be fit again, so I think that it's generally gone England's way this weekend, if it turns out to be an England Ireland Wales round robin tournament.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2018 9:03]

"Unnecessarily ruined" by a highly-qualified official giving his honest opinion, that you happen to disagree with. 57 minutes before the end of the game. What a fragile thing it is.
Six Nations 2018 on 09:31 - Feb 12 with 2440 viewsElHoop

Six Nations 2018 on 09:25 - Feb 12 by MrSheen

"Unnecessarily ruined" by a highly-qualified official giving his honest opinion, that you happen to disagree with. 57 minutes before the end of the game. What a fragile thing it is.

Well I don't know about you, but I like to watch a game and to the extent that it is possible - what you see is what you get. If you're going to use video evidence then ffs get it right. That was just inexcusably sloppy.

It's quite possible that the whole tournament ends up swinging on that one decision - being highly qualified and honest isn't always good enough. It wasn't good enough.
Six Nations 2018 on 09:32 - Feb 12 with 2436 viewsPhildo

Eddie Jones looks only a whisper away from going full Tonto to me.
Six Nations 2018 on 10:18 - Feb 12 with 2404 viewsTonto

Six Nations 2018 on 09:32 - Feb 12 by Phildo

Eddie Jones looks only a whisper away from going full Tonto to me.

eh? what have I done?

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Six Nations 2018 on 10:51 - Feb 12 with 2383 viewsSimonJames

Six Nations 2018 on 09:31 - Feb 12 by ElHoop

Well I don't know about you, but I like to watch a game and to the extent that it is possible - what you see is what you get. If you're going to use video evidence then ffs get it right. That was just inexcusably sloppy.

It's quite possible that the whole tournament ends up swinging on that one decision - being highly qualified and honest isn't always good enough. It wasn't good enough.

It's more likely that the tournament swings on the decision to give Wales a 4 try bonus point against Scotland that they didn't deserve because the pass was clearly forward.

People seem to be losing sight of the fact that failure to award this try did not snatch a last gasp win away from Wales.
It might have reduced the margin they lost by...
It might have galvanised England into even more of an effort that resulted in Wales losing by even more. (If the ref hadn't been so whistle happy I think England would have scored a lot more points.)

The main thing that kept Wales in this game was the very low number of penalties that they conceded.
Eddie Jones' England teams have a knack of grinding out a win - look what they did to Wales (and France) this time last year. (And look what Sam Underhill did to them when they had even better chance of scoring)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024