Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Working for HSBC 22:02 - Feb 7 with 5404 viewsLoftusR

I have just been offered a job with HSBC at Canary Wharf. I have never worked in the financial sector. Has anyone worked for them? What is the culture like as it comes across as long hours and a bit hire and fire. Is that true? Appreciate any views?
Working for HSBC on 22:07 - Feb 7 with 5378 viewsDubaiR

Depends what level going in at I guess. One of my best mates (also QPR) was with them for years. However he dealt with high net worth individuals so I wouldn't say long days but he had to be contactable regardless of time.

He left in the end but loved it for a long time. All i will say is think they treat staff better than their customers, terrible bank.
Working for HSBC on 22:22 - Feb 7 with 5323 viewsLblock

This is one for Disco.....

I’m looking forward to his advice based on his financial sector experiences

I’ve worked on the Wharf and I’d say to you be prepared for a bastard commute if you’re out west. That station is a bitch to get into after 5:00pm and the tunnel at Green Park monotonous

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Working for HSBC on 22:31 - Feb 7 with 5288 viewseghamranger

Offered a job with HSBC but never worked in financial sector or don't know anyone that works for them...

How did you get that job?
You must have done some research to get past the interview stage...
Working for HSBC on 22:37 - Feb 7 with 5249 viewsBoston

Working for HSBC on 22:31 - Feb 7 by eghamranger

Offered a job with HSBC but never worked in financial sector or don't know anyone that works for them...

How did you get that job?
You must have done some research to get past the interview stage...

Oh, doesn't sleeping with the right people not do it anymore?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Working for HSBC on 22:38 - Feb 7 with 5257 viewsLoftusR

It is a back office IT job. I currently work in fmcg but the systems and the vendors are much the same as financial services
Working for HSBC on 10:44 - Feb 8 with 4864 viewsA40Bosh

I suspect they are no better and no worse than any other large scale bank. I did 20yrs in Citibank with the last 3 years in Canary Wharf opposite the HSBC tower. 7th July bombings reminded me just how far from home the West London suburbs can be when things go wrong.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Working for HSBC on 11:12 - Feb 8 with 4795 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Working for HSBC on 10:44 - Feb 8 by A40Bosh

I suspect they are no better and no worse than any other large scale bank. I did 20yrs in Citibank with the last 3 years in Canary Wharf opposite the HSBC tower. 7th July bombings reminded me just how far from home the West London suburbs can be when things go wrong.

Yes, that will cheer him up!
Working for HSBC on 11:17 - Feb 8 with 4777 views1MoreBrightonR

I work in Canary Wharf. Not a fan of the area and a b1tch to get to, and i live in east london, so it shouldnt be! I dont work in financial services (i manage websites) but used to work in IT for Aviva...would never do it again. So slow to do anything in these huge financial organisations...too much red tape and old platforms that werent designed for large consumer sites. that may not be relevant for your role though.
Login to get fewer ads

Working for HSBC on 12:05 - Feb 8 with 4681 viewsEastR

If you can turn a blind eye to some of their less savoury business practices its probably a great place to work (the guy who blew the whistle on the dodgy Swiss dealings worked in IT for them — he only got 5 years for his troubles)

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/banking-giant-hsbc-shelte

https://www.ft.com/content/28c5744a-b03f-11e4-92b6-00144feab7de

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Working for HSBC on 12:27 - Feb 8 with 4618 viewsPBLOCK

I work for a large Bank over at Canary Wharf and have a few mates who work at HSBC.

Its probably like most large corporates in a lot of ways. Some really great people and some complete Kants.

I do know that there is a bit of an escalation culture there and have been told some people will throw you under the bus to save their own skin without a 2nd thought.

Canary Wharf itself is a bit of a funny place and one massive wind tunnel when its a bit blowy

Some decent boozers and some absolute holes as well

If the moneys good and the job sounds alright I'd do it especially if the IT stuff you do is a bit niche and you havent worked Financial Services before. Stick it for 18months then go contracting and coin it!!
Working for HSBC on 12:38 - Feb 8 with 4582 viewssmuttsontour

Hi mate,

If I can throw my two pence in - I actually work in the Tower for HSBC. I had the same preconceptions as you before joining, expecting long hours ect. I can honestly say given the prudent and conservative nature of the bank, it’s generally 9-5. If you had said JP Morgan or Goldman Sachs I’d confidently say you’d be in until 8pm every night. Hopefully this is transferrable to your role also, but you’ll find a lot of colleagues who have been here a long time — willing to give you help and advice. It’s only one area of the business, but I’ve genuinely had a positive experience so far, and feel a sense that the bank invests positively into the ‘youth’.

The building itself is a masterpiece. 40-something floors — the largest corporate canteen in Europe. The largest corporate gym in Europe. You can be bogged down at the lifts at 8:55am sometimes — and I imagine the tube station will be the same at times. I actually get the boat to work from South West London — and works out cheaper than the tube if you buy a monthly pass with the obvious benefits. If you want my opinion though — do it. There are bound to be additional perks, not to mention the CV builder brand you’ll take from it. At the risk of drum-beating the name, it will more than likely be a good move. It’s that big a beast where internally movement is common practice, so you may get a gig elsewhere in the company should your role dry up or you get fed up.

If you would like a head’s up on anything else or have any additional questions mate — drop me a private message and I’ll be happy to help.
Working for HSBC on 13:36 - Feb 8 with 4407 viewsSimonJames

Working for HSBC on 12:38 - Feb 8 by smuttsontour

Hi mate,

If I can throw my two pence in - I actually work in the Tower for HSBC. I had the same preconceptions as you before joining, expecting long hours ect. I can honestly say given the prudent and conservative nature of the bank, it’s generally 9-5. If you had said JP Morgan or Goldman Sachs I’d confidently say you’d be in until 8pm every night. Hopefully this is transferrable to your role also, but you’ll find a lot of colleagues who have been here a long time — willing to give you help and advice. It’s only one area of the business, but I’ve genuinely had a positive experience so far, and feel a sense that the bank invests positively into the ‘youth’.

The building itself is a masterpiece. 40-something floors — the largest corporate canteen in Europe. The largest corporate gym in Europe. You can be bogged down at the lifts at 8:55am sometimes — and I imagine the tube station will be the same at times. I actually get the boat to work from South West London — and works out cheaper than the tube if you buy a monthly pass with the obvious benefits. If you want my opinion though — do it. There are bound to be additional perks, not to mention the CV builder brand you’ll take from it. At the risk of drum-beating the name, it will more than likely be a good move. It’s that big a beast where internally movement is common practice, so you may get a gig elsewhere in the company should your role dry up or you get fed up.

If you would like a head’s up on anything else or have any additional questions mate — drop me a private message and I’ll be happy to help.

PR Department?

100% of people who drink water will die.

Working for HSBC on 13:52 - Feb 8 with 4377 viewsLoftusR

Working for HSBC on 12:38 - Feb 8 by smuttsontour

Hi mate,

That's really helpful. I'll drop you a PM this evening.
Working for HSBC on 11:58 - Feb 9 with 4016 viewsrobith

I'd say check out glassdoor. It's a site where employees anonymously review their workplace (one of my clients actually use their score as part of their HR team's performance reviews)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024