Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The boat race. 16:02 - Mar 24 with 4137 viewsconnell10

Does anyone really watch this crap?

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

The boat race. on 16:33 - Mar 24 with 3307 viewsStanisgod

Never have. Bunch of now Johnny foreigners having a jolly jape on the Thames. Unless one of them sinks, who cares.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

The boat race. on 16:34 - Mar 24 with 3302 viewsDeepcutHoop

I think some people still watch it.
The boat race. on 16:39 - Mar 24 with 3281 viewsjohncharles

Russians at Henley ! What's the world coming to.

Strong and stable my arse.

The boat race. on 17:04 - Mar 24 with 3239 viewsBoston

The boat race. on 16:39 - Mar 24 by johncharles

Russians at Henley ! What's the world coming to.

Henry! Where are we dug in, Maidenhead?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

The boat race. on 17:11 - Mar 24 with 3227 viewscolinallcars

Great business for the riverside pubs from Putney to Mortlake.....
The boat race. on 17:11 - Mar 24 with 3225 viewsPinnerPaul

Used to be bearable when David Coleman presented Grandstand from the tow path - it was put in its proper place - went over to the boats, just before the off and only after updating us on the important stuff, like the latest football scores and racing results.

Today's programme is over 2 hours long!!!!!!!!!!!
The boat race. on 17:25 - Mar 24 with 3198 viewsfrancisbowles

Part of our traditional sporting calendar.
The boat race. on 17:30 - Mar 24 with 3181 viewsPinnerPaul

The boat race. on 17:25 - Mar 24 by francisbowles

Part of our traditional sporting calendar.

so is the Henley Regatta, but it doesn't get hours of live coverage on the BBC!
Login to get fewer ads

The boat race. on 17:38 - Mar 24 with 3156 viewsPinnerPaul

2 and a half mins Cambridge in front - game over - riveting!
The boat race. on 17:52 - Mar 24 with 3135 viewsPinnerPaul

The boat race. on 17:38 - Mar 24 by PinnerPaul

2 and a half mins Cambridge in front - game over - riveting!

Yep they won!
The boat race. on 19:06 - Mar 24 with 3077 viewseastside_r

Did they dip their cox in the Thames afterwards?
The boat race. on 19:17 - Mar 24 with 3054 viewsjohncharles

The boat race. on 17:11 - Mar 24 by colinallcars

Great business for the riverside pubs from Putney to Mortlake.....

Well maybe, full of yahoo Henry’s. Pimms and half a lager and as much shouting as poss. I bet the takings are down.

Strong and stable my arse.

The boat race. on 19:31 - Mar 24 with 3031 viewssmegma

Was the winning team wearing blue ???
The boat race. on 19:37 - Mar 24 with 3024 viewshubble

I grew up next to Hammersmith Bridge so watching the boat race was almost compulsory. It's a lot more fun if you're there, the tow path on the Barnes side and the Mall on the Hammersmith packed with people, the pubs overflowing, if it's a nice day it's a laugh. Or it was.... televising it seems a bit pointless though.

I am connected to an infamous event in boat race history though.... A mate of mine, back in the day, inherited a lot of money and consequently became a bit of an arsehole. Well, he was an arsehole already, to be honest, but it made him worse. He bought a flat in Chelsea Harbour, loads of flash cars and a speedboat.

On boat race day, he invited two other friends of mine, a couple and their kid, to join him to watch the boat race from his boat. Naively, they agreed. On the day they motored out into the Thames and sped up the river until they reached the back of the flotilla. Ignoring several warnings from the police and boat race officials via loudhailers, he swerved past and, chased by a police boat, began to catch up with the two crews themselves. As the race neared its climax he overtook the two boats, rocking them in his wake as he went under Chiswick Bridge first, pumping his fist as if he'd won the race himself. My friends were mortified, but I have to admit, it was bloody funny...

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

The boat race. on 20:00 - Mar 24 with 2990 viewssmegma

The boat race. on 19:37 - Mar 24 by hubble

I grew up next to Hammersmith Bridge so watching the boat race was almost compulsory. It's a lot more fun if you're there, the tow path on the Barnes side and the Mall on the Hammersmith packed with people, the pubs overflowing, if it's a nice day it's a laugh. Or it was.... televising it seems a bit pointless though.

I am connected to an infamous event in boat race history though.... A mate of mine, back in the day, inherited a lot of money and consequently became a bit of an arsehole. Well, he was an arsehole already, to be honest, but it made him worse. He bought a flat in Chelsea Harbour, loads of flash cars and a speedboat.

On boat race day, he invited two other friends of mine, a couple and their kid, to join him to watch the boat race from his boat. Naively, they agreed. On the day they motored out into the Thames and sped up the river until they reached the back of the flotilla. Ignoring several warnings from the police and boat race officials via loudhailers, he swerved past and, chased by a police boat, began to catch up with the two crews themselves. As the race neared its climax he overtook the two boats, rocking them in his wake as he went under Chiswick Bridge first, pumping his fist as if he'd won the race himself. My friends were mortified, but I have to admit, it was bloody funny...

Yes, that is the dictionary definition of an arsehole
The boat race. on 20:27 - Mar 24 with 2947 viewsBoston

There's less disruption on the roads for a boat race than a marathon.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

The boat race. on 20:42 - Mar 24 with 2924 viewsRoller

There is an excellent book by Andy Miller entitled Tilting at Windmills which has a section on the boat race. The author is trying to "get into sport". He foolishly tries to support QPR for a while, goes to Wimbledon, The Open and finally ends up representing the UK at the European Crazy Golf championships. Genuinely funny book, well worth a read if you can find a copy.
The boat race. on 22:31 - Mar 24 with 2822 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

I watched it last year between Barnes and Hammersmith found a nice quiet spot.

Most impressive thing for me was the Thames itself.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

The boat race. on 22:53 - Mar 24 with 2788 viewscolinallcars

The boat race. on 20:42 - Mar 24 by Roller

There is an excellent book by Andy Miller entitled Tilting at Windmills which has a section on the boat race. The author is trying to "get into sport". He foolishly tries to support QPR for a while, goes to Wimbledon, The Open and finally ends up representing the UK at the European Crazy Golf championships. Genuinely funny book, well worth a read if you can find a copy.

Just bought it used for a penny plus postage on Amazon......it had better be good for that outlay !😏
The boat race. on 23:04 - Mar 24 with 2768 viewsMoonshineSteve

I do. Always enjoyed it on the TV.

I am still Steve but no longer in Dagenham.

The boat race. on 04:07 - Mar 25 with 2655 viewstimcocking

As far as i'm concerned, although i've probably never watched it, it's an absolutely lovely tradition, part of the very fabric of what makes Britain the best country there ever will be, despite our many issues. The world would be a much, much poorer place without it.

Not to mention the fact our heroic and permanently world's best rowers have won medal after medal after medal for us. They are fcuking awesome.

I can think of so many worse things.

Ps I think perhaps living abroad and seeing the love and admiration most of the foreigners have for Britain and in particular our funny old ways (obviously i'm not talking about Europeans) and princes and queens and stuff, perhaps brings a greater appreciation for that stuff. I'd have probably laughed at myself when i was a young lad, whereas now i'd be bursting with pride if i watched it. Things like the changing of the guard and all that - just brilliant. It's the coolest sh!t and everybody loves the British partially because of all this.

And of course, without Oxford and Cambridge, we'd have lost to Germany in the war.
[Post edited 25 Mar 2018 4:18]
The boat race. on 09:47 - Mar 25 with 2520 viewsBushRanger82

Always saw the boat race as being a right load of old bollox, really.
The boat race. on 10:27 - Mar 25 with 2481 viewscyprusmel

When I was young a long time ago, living on the Goldhawk Road in London everyone used to support one or other of the teams. Street sellers sold little pin on badges of a pair of crossed oars with a ribbon of dark or light blue.
The boat race. on 17:34 - Mar 25 with 2379 viewsHendonHoop

Funny why these days they hardly ever mention the reserve teams race as they always seemed to show the final 1/4 mile or so,and now instead,strongly project the Women's Race prior to the main event. Strange that.
The boat race. on 17:49 - Mar 25 with 2343 viewscolinallcars

Some posters have portrayed the race as something watched only by Hooray Henries but on the occasions I have been down to the river to watch it's been a mixed bag of people. My old Mum Used to tell me that before the war the whole street ( she lived in Fulham ) would more or less go and watch with, as a previous poster said, rosettes or ‘favourites’ on their coats in dark of light blue.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024