Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Film Night 19:44 - Apr 28 with 22823 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Ok, knowledgeable people...give me one film that never disappoints.

Title
Genre
Actors/Directors
Why you should watch it...

Edit - I added a 'Why you should watch it... ' line
[Post edited 28 Apr 2018 20:11]

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Film Night on 19:57 - Mar 20 with 2339 viewssilverbirch

Film Night on 18:14 - Mar 20 by nix

No.

I don't really know what Barbie for adults actually means. That seems like a very superficial analysis.

I found the story gripping. It was about power relations, it was about how people are exploited for other people's ends, it was about facing and overcoming past trauma, it was about how we become more enlightened about our own lives through the eyes of our children. It was a subversion of how men use women for sex, with Emma Stone's character using sex to empower herself on her own terms. She threw off the shackles of female conditioning to start from scratch in how she interacted in the world.

It was funny, dark and quirky for me. But as I said earlier, each to their own.

I haven't yet seen Zone of Interest but I'm sure it will hold my attention as well.

Well, there’s a challenge! Write an analysis that isn’t superficial, in five words or less!
Anyway, it was more of a comparison than analysis. Each film visually pleasing, has good acting…Each said to be making meaningful comment on today's society. Neither really held my attention.
Film Night on 07:41 - Mar 21 with 2241 viewsnix

Film Night on 19:57 - Mar 20 by silverbirch

Well, there’s a challenge! Write an analysis that isn’t superficial, in five words or less!
Anyway, it was more of a comparison than analysis. Each film visually pleasing, has good acting…Each said to be making meaningful comment on today's society. Neither really held my attention.

Okay, not analysis then, bizarre comparison.

To suggest any kind of overlap between the two seems weird to me.

The distinction is with the 'said to be making a meaningful comment on today's society'. Barbie I would agree with you to an extent, but even that I would say is designed to appeal to 12 year old girls not middle aged men, so had some success on that level as it's message was screamed and lacked nuance but that's not a great surprise.

Of course it's just your opinion and that's up to you. But I think if you thought Poor Things said nothing then I think you missed an awful lot.
Film Night on 10:48 - Mar 21 with 2165 viewsWelsh_Ranger

Man on fire
American gangster
Donnie Darko
The constant gardener
Law abiding citizen
The butterfly effect
A good year
Inception
A beautiful mind

To name but a few not already mentioned, also anything with Pacino even later stuff like Donnie Brasco and Carlito's Way
Film Night on 14:29 - Mar 22 with 1987 viewsCateLeBonR

Film Night on 10:48 - Mar 21 by Welsh_Ranger

Man on fire
American gangster
Donnie Darko
The constant gardener
Law abiding citizen
The butterfly effect
A good year
Inception
A beautiful mind

To name but a few not already mentioned, also anything with Pacino even later stuff like Donnie Brasco and Carlito's Way

I enjoyed Pacino in ‘Insomnia’ which is a very good film and currently on ITVX.

Also on ITVX atm is ‘Turn the Key Softly’. A decent British Film Noir shot on the streets of post-war London with quite a few scenes filmed around Shepherd’ Bush!
Film Night on 20:09 - Mar 22 with 1891 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Film Night on 18:14 - Mar 20 by nix

No.

I don't really know what Barbie for adults actually means. That seems like a very superficial analysis.

I found the story gripping. It was about power relations, it was about how people are exploited for other people's ends, it was about facing and overcoming past trauma, it was about how we become more enlightened about our own lives through the eyes of our children. It was a subversion of how men use women for sex, with Emma Stone's character using sex to empower herself on her own terms. She threw off the shackles of female conditioning to start from scratch in how she interacted in the world.

It was funny, dark and quirky for me. But as I said earlier, each to their own.

I haven't yet seen Zone of Interest but I'm sure it will hold my attention as well.

Not sure I really understand the university film talk, but I thought it was good as Emma Stone got her baps out.
Film Night on 14:42 - Mar 25 with 1675 viewsE17hoop

Film Night on 13:33 - Mar 17 by E17hoop

You're right about modern horror. Big fan of It Follows and Saint Maud is an outstanding film.

I'd also recommend Babadook, Relic and Hereditary in this genre.

I saw Immaculate over the weekend.

So up my street it was parked in my garden.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

Film Night on 23:41 - Mar 25 with 1552 viewsNewBee

Stumbled upon this film on TV the other day, tuned in and couldn't stop watching:

Title: Ghostbusters (the 1984 original)
Genre: Comedy
Actors/Directors: Bill Murray, Dan Ackroyd, Sigourney Weaver, Harold Ramos & Rick Moranis. Directed by Ivan Reitman and written by Ackroyd and Ramos.
Why you should watch it... Absolutely hilarious - Murray, perfectly cast, has never been better and Weaver - well wow! (Very fine actress too, as it happens.

And to think that it only got two Oscar nominations, neither of which won - I can only think the voters were all on drugs!
Film Night on 07:43 - Mar 26 with 1481 viewsPunteR

Watched Le Mans 66/ Ford v Ferreri last night. Such a good film.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Login to get fewer ads

Film Night on 07:59 - Mar 26 with 1465 viewshubble

A shout out for Training Day. Made in 2001 but I only got around to watching fairly recently. WHAT a film. Tension that builds and builds. Outstanding performances from the two leads, Denzel Washington and Ethan Hawke. Superb.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Film Night on 13:34 - Mar 26 with 1379 viewsW4Hoop

Film Night on 10:50 - Mar 14 by GaryT

Same, I watched it last night and it's definitely a different way to tell the story we all know by now. It's more a fly on the wall documentary where you follow along with whoever is in the frame, be it the dog or the young maid, whilst the horrors of what is going on over the wall are almost out of sight.

You are left thinking to yourself, how long does it take before you become that comfortable with what is happening? Definitely worth a watch if you want reminding of just how cold and calculating mass murder can be.

*edit* typo
[Post edited 14 Mar 10:55]

What makes The Zone of Interest exceptional is how it portrays the normality of life even when lived right up against the walls of Auschwitz. The Hoess family is shown with all the hopes and preoccupations of any family: childcare, relatives, money, career progression. Managing mass murder is a career like any other. The mother, played by the incomparable Sandra Hueller, is a model of self-deception, concerned about status and material comfort within earshot and nose-shot of the guns and ovens next door. Absolutely chilling.
[Post edited 26 Mar 15:19]
Film Night on 14:37 - Mar 26 with 1289 viewsTacticalR

Film Night on 07:59 - Mar 26 by hubble

A shout out for Training Day. Made in 2001 but I only got around to watching fairly recently. WHAT a film. Tension that builds and builds. Outstanding performances from the two leads, Denzel Washington and Ethan Hawke. Superb.

Denzil Washington is great as a modern-day Mephistopheles. It's worth looking out for anything directed by Antoine Fuqua. He also made The Equalizer.

Air hostess clique

Film Night on 14:40 - Mar 26 with 1266 viewsTheChef

Film Night on 14:37 - Mar 26 by TacticalR

Denzil Washington is great as a modern-day Mephistopheles. It's worth looking out for anything directed by Antoine Fuqua. He also made The Equalizer.

Language, Timothy.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Film Night on 14:48 - Mar 26 with 1251 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Film Night on 13:34 - Mar 26 by W4Hoop

What makes The Zone of Interest exceptional is how it portrays the normality of life even when lived right up against the walls of Auschwitz. The Hoess family is shown with all the hopes and preoccupations of any family: childcare, relatives, money, career progression. Managing mass murder is a career like any other. The mother, played by the incomparable Sandra Hueller, is a model of self-deception, concerned about status and material comfort within earshot and nose-shot of the guns and ovens next door. Absolutely chilling.
[Post edited 26 Mar 15:19]

Not wishing to give the game away, but I thought the scenes where SH's mother visits and realises what's going on, and how disturbed she becomes by it and the obvious ignorance of her daughter, brilliant.

Such a clever film.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Film Night on 16:09 - Mar 26 with 1189 viewsdmm

This was the final interview with Brigitte Höss, daughter of Rudolf Höss the camp’s commandant, before her death last year. Well worth a read whether or not you've seen the film, Zone of Interest.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/mar/24/brigitte-hoss-auschwitz-zone-of-in
Film Night on 17:01 - Mar 26 with 1153 viewsBluce_Ree

Film Night on 23:41 - Mar 25 by NewBee

Stumbled upon this film on TV the other day, tuned in and couldn't stop watching:

Title: Ghostbusters (the 1984 original)
Genre: Comedy
Actors/Directors: Bill Murray, Dan Ackroyd, Sigourney Weaver, Harold Ramos & Rick Moranis. Directed by Ivan Reitman and written by Ackroyd and Ramos.
Why you should watch it... Absolutely hilarious - Murray, perfectly cast, has never been better and Weaver - well wow! (Very fine actress too, as it happens.

And to think that it only got two Oscar nominations, neither of which won - I can only think the voters were all on drugs!

Ghostbusters is unf**kwittable greatness.

It's one of the best films ever made. Shame the series as a whole is dogshit though now. 2 was okay, 2016 was ultra piss and the last one before this one was shit and dull. Not bothering with the new one.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Film Night on 17:17 - Mar 26 with 1144 viewsR_from_afar

Film Night on 10:48 - Mar 21 by Welsh_Ranger

Man on fire
American gangster
Donnie Darko
The constant gardener
Law abiding citizen
The butterfly effect
A good year
Inception
A beautiful mind

Carlito's Way is fantastic, I love that film.

A shout out for Derailed, starring Clive Owen, Vincent Cassel and Jennifer Aniston. It's a gripping and unpredictable thriller, made in 2005, and is full of twists.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Film Night on 22:17 - Mar 26 with 1028 viewsGaryT

Film Night on 14:48 - Mar 26 by PlanetHonneywood

Not wishing to give the game away, but I thought the scenes where SH's mother visits and realises what's going on, and how disturbed she becomes by it and the obvious ignorance of her daughter, brilliant.

Such a clever film.

Spoiler alert

It wasn't obvious that the wife knew what was going on over the wall and it was only when Sandra Hueller's character says to the maid "my husband can turn you to ash" (or something along those lines) that it is finally made clear she knows exactly what is going on.

That's what I meant when I said, how long does it take to become that comfortable with mass murder? When you realise she knows but is carrying on just like any other housewife, that's, as W4Hoop says, quite chilling.
Film Night on 00:12 - Mar 27 with 975 viewsE17hoop

Film Night on 22:17 - Mar 26 by GaryT

Spoiler alert

It wasn't obvious that the wife knew what was going on over the wall and it was only when Sandra Hueller's character says to the maid "my husband can turn you to ash" (or something along those lines) that it is finally made clear she knows exactly what is going on.

That's what I meant when I said, how long does it take to become that comfortable with mass murder? When you realise she knows but is carrying on just like any other housewife, that's, as W4Hoop says, quite chilling.

Good interview in the Observer with one of Hoss' daughters this week - very uncomfortable:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/mar/24/brigitte-hoss-auschwitz-zone-of-in

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

Film Night on 09:16 - Mar 27 with 865 viewsTheChef

Film Night on 17:01 - Mar 26 by Bluce_Ree

Ghostbusters is unf**kwittable greatness.

It's one of the best films ever made. Shame the series as a whole is dogshit though now. 2 was okay, 2016 was ultra piss and the last one before this one was shit and dull. Not bothering with the new one.

The kids want to go and see the new one - I know it'll be a bag of shite but we'll probably go this weekend anyway.

Sad truth is I'd prefer to see Kung Fu Panda 4...

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Film Night on 09:29 - Mar 27 with 854 viewsMrSheen

Film Night on 22:17 - Mar 26 by GaryT

Spoiler alert

I've not seen the film, but the book makes it clear everyone knew what was going on, People were complaining about smell and water contamination for miles around,
Film Night on 14:59 - Mar 27 with 737 viewsGaryT

Film Night on 09:29 - Mar 27 by MrSheen

I've not seen the film, but the book makes it clear everyone knew what was going on, People were complaining about smell and water contamination for miles around,

I may have missed it but I don't recall anyone saying anything like that. The directors clearly chose to go in a very different direction from the book and instead give the audience more a 'fly on the wall' style documentary. You hear the never ending background noise of machinery churning away 24/7 and see the occasional smoking chimney or steam from a train pulling into the camp all while the kids are playing in the garden or the wife is hanging out the washing, clearly oblivious.

I've just read this article and it appears the film only worked with the essence of the book and went in a very different direction. If you've read the book I think it's safe to say you can watch the film and see something very different.

https://collider.com/zone-of-interest-book-to-film-comparison/

I also watched The Holdovers on Sunday afternoon and would say that's exactly where it belongs. I nice, relatively harmless, lazy Sunday afternoon watch where you turn to the missus when the credits are rolling and say "that was good".
[Post edited 27 Mar 15:00]
Film Night on 16:19 - Mar 27 with 682 viewsMrSheen

Film Night on 14:59 - Mar 27 by GaryT

I may have missed it but I don't recall anyone saying anything like that. The directors clearly chose to go in a very different direction from the book and instead give the audience more a 'fly on the wall' style documentary. You hear the never ending background noise of machinery churning away 24/7 and see the occasional smoking chimney or steam from a train pulling into the camp all while the kids are playing in the garden or the wife is hanging out the washing, clearly oblivious.

I've just read this article and it appears the film only worked with the essence of the book and went in a very different direction. If you've read the book I think it's safe to say you can watch the film and see something very different.

https://collider.com/zone-of-interest-book-to-film-comparison/

I also watched The Holdovers on Sunday afternoon and would say that's exactly where it belongs. I nice, relatively harmless, lazy Sunday afternoon watch where you turn to the missus when the credits are rolling and say "that was good".
[Post edited 27 Mar 15:00]

One of Hoess’s early projects is to organise prisoner squads to exhume and burn hundreds of thousands of buried bodies because their putrescence is too overwhelming. It takes months, making the “problem” worse rather than better in the interim. Hence the crematoria. Apologies for the detail.
Film Night on 17:56 - Mar 27 with 619 viewsPunteR

Has Jack Nicolson made a bad film? Cant really go wrong with picking one of his.
Chinatown is a great film a watched recently.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Film Night on 18:52 - Mar 27 with 578 viewsSonofpugwash

Wel lworth a view...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7888964/

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Film Night on 19:11 - Mar 27 with 563 viewsloftboy

Film Night on 21:34 - Mar 13 by dmm

The most recent film I saw at the cinema - Zone of Interest. It's a truly remarkable work and directed by Jonathan Glazer who directed the 2013 film, Under the Skin.

Just went on sky store and they want £20 to download it!

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024