Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
First trip to Loftus Road/England for Brentford match. 13:59 - Nov 6 with 6392 viewsCincyHoop

Hello all, long time reader of the forum and Clive's write ups of the fixtures. I'm jetting off to London tomorrow and heading to the game on Saturday! Any tips on pubs before/after the match?

I know the Crown & Spectre has been mentioned a few times. Just wondering if there are any other I should also check out?

Thank you for any insight or tips!

COYRssssss
First trip to Loftus Road/England for Brentford match. on 14:03 - Nov 6 with 4528 viewstoboboly

I went to the Sindercombe Social the other week and it was big enough to not be too uncomfortable, decent amount of beers, just next to the green and the Empire.

The Green is decent too.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

First trip to Loftus Road/England for Brentford match. on 14:41 - Nov 6 with 4450 viewshopphoops

If it's your first London trip, you could do worse than the pubs along the Thames from Hammersmith Bridge i.e. the Blue Anchor, the Rutland and the Dove - allowing you to survey South of the River (think Kentucky) without having to go there.

The 20 minute walk up to the Bush will then let your liver do its work, leaving you set up for a good snooze during the game.

Bring goals with you!

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

First trip to Loftus Road/England for Brentford match. on 14:55 - Nov 6 with 4430 viewsCincyHoop

First trip to Loftus Road/England for Brentford match. on 14:41 - Nov 6 by hopphoops

If it's your first London trip, you could do worse than the pubs along the Thames from Hammersmith Bridge i.e. the Blue Anchor, the Rutland and the Dove - allowing you to survey South of the River (think Kentucky) without having to go there.

The 20 minute walk up to the Bush will then let your liver do its work, leaving you set up for a good snooze during the game.

Bring goals with you!

Thanks for all the advice fellas!

I actually can see Kentucky from my office building downtown. Beautiful state, just wouldn't want to live there! Took in the Breeders Cup in Louisville last weekend..nothing better than going to Keeneland/Churchill Downs for a big race!
First trip to Loftus Road/England for Brentford match. on 15:33 - Nov 6 with 4373 viewshopphoops

First trip to Loftus Road/England for Brentford match. on 14:55 - Nov 6 by CincyHoop

I actually can see Kentucky from my office building downtown. Beautiful state, just wouldn't want to live there! Took in the Breeders Cup in Louisville last weekend..nothing better than going to Keeneland/Churchill Downs for a big race!

Sounds great - I'd like to go see the Reds too before Joey Votto retires.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.

First trip to Loftus Road/England for Brentford match. on 15:52 - Nov 6 with 4345 viewsMetallica_Hoop

The River pubs are best.

If you fancy one that hasn't changed much in 25 years try 'The Richmond' for a proper pub experience.
Big Screens, pool tables and a quiz machine.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

First trip to Loftus Road/England for Brentford match. on 18:42 - Nov 6 with 4214 viewsBoston

Welcome. All the pubs are good if they’re full of Rangers. Keep your eyes open for financial gain on your travels, after all Bill Bryson’s become a billionaire because he could spell Cincinnati.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

First trip to Loftus Road/England for Brentford match. on 18:52 - Nov 6 with 4202 viewsCincyHoop

Thanks to all of you! It is much appreciated! I will definitely be popping into a few pubs pre and post match. Hoping to bring a Eze brace with me and a W!
First trip to Loftus Road/England for Brentford match. on 18:52 - Nov 6 with 4201 viewsEsox_Lucius

First trip to Loftus Road/England for Brentford match. on 14:55 - Nov 6 by CincyHoop

Does the water tower still have Florence Y'all emblazoned on it? KY. in a nutshell LOL

The grass is always greener.

Login to get fewer ads

First trip to Loftus Road/England for Brentford match. on 19:26 - Nov 6 with 4166 viewsCincyHoop

It sure does! Just drove by on my way back from Louisville on Sunday morning. Everyday I wake up thankful I wasn't born/raised/live in Kentucky.

I often think of the scene in the Mummy where he yells out to Bennie "Looks like you're on the wrong side of the riiivvvverrrrrr"
First trip to Loftus Road/England for Brentford match. on 20:00 - Nov 6 with 4128 viewsqprd

its not quite the crosstown shootout, but you picked a good one
First trip to Loftus Road/England for Brentford match. on 20:19 - Nov 6 with 4111 viewsMrSheen

First trip to Loftus Road/England for Brentford match. on 19:26 - Nov 6 by CincyHoop

It sure does! Just drove by on my way back from Louisville on Sunday morning. Everyday I wake up thankful I wasn't born/raised/live in Kentucky.

I often think of the scene in the Mummy where he yells out to Bennie "Looks like you're on the wrong side of the riiivvvverrrrrr"

Petrino must go! Enjoy El Traffico.
First trip to Loftus Road/England for Brentford match. on 22:34 - Nov 6 with 3976 viewsenfieldargh

First trip to Loftus Road/England for Brentford match. on 19:26 - Nov 6 by CincyHoop

Apart from our wonderful hoops, do you follow the Bengals?

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

First trip to Loftus Road/England for Brentford match. on 23:09 - Nov 6 with 3946 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Welcome to posting on the forum, Cincy!

I may bump into you on Saturday. I'm travelling over from Ireland for this one.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

First trip to Loftus Road/England for Brentford match. on 10:34 - Nov 7 with 3783 viewsCincyHoop

First trip to Loftus Road/England for Brentford match. on 22:34 - Nov 6 by enfieldargh

Apart from our wonderful hoops, do you follow the Bengals?

I do not, I’m a sort of transplant to Cincy from a really small farming community in northwest Ohio. Unfortunately my father is a real POS and raised me a Browns fan, so I’ve lived with that crap every fall afternoon through my young adult life.
First trip to Loftus Road/England for Brentford match. on 10:35 - Nov 7 with 3779 viewsCincyHoop

First trip to Loftus Road/England for Brentford match. on 20:00 - Nov 6 by qprd

its not quite the crosstown shootout, but you picked a good one

Have you been?! I’m a UC graduate (my freshman year of college was the brawl) so I’ve been to a few. Nothing like beating Xavier. It hasn’t happened often, but seeing those spoiled brats piss and moan all year is glorious.
First trip to Loftus Road/England for Brentford match. on 11:26 - Nov 7 with 3720 viewsDannyPaddox

First trip to Loftus Road/England for Brentford match. on 14:41 - Nov 6 by hopphoops

Bring goals with you!

I heartily recommend this riverside itinerary for anyone visiting London. When the weather's fair and time allows I'd also begin a match day in one of these inns. A lovely spot. And then for contrast if you head inland towards the ground (translation: the Stadium) via Hammersmith Grove, you'll find at the top of this pleasant leafy thoroughfare a decrepit yet welcoming fine Guinness-laden nook lost in time and space resembling Colonel Kurz's renegade enclave at the top of the Nung River in Apocalypse Now. Namely The Shepherd & Flock. Or you could carry on to the Crown. Here's to the mighty Rs trouncing the Chiswick County Kickers. Hope you have a top day.
[Post edited 7 Nov 2018 11:30]
First trip to Loftus Road/England for Brentford match. on 11:41 - Nov 7 with 3681 viewshopphoops

First trip to Loftus Road/England for Brentford match. on 11:26 - Nov 7 by DannyPaddox

I heartily recommend this riverside itinerary for anyone visiting London. When the weather's fair and time allows I'd also begin a match day in one of these inns. A lovely spot. And then for contrast if you head inland towards the ground (translation: the Stadium) via Hammersmith Grove, you'll find at the top of this pleasant leafy thoroughfare a decrepit yet welcoming fine Guinness-laden nook lost in time and space resembling Colonel Kurz's renegade enclave at the top of the Nung River in Apocalypse Now. Namely The Shepherd & Flock. Or you could carry on to the Crown. Here's to the mighty Rs trouncing the Chiswick County Kickers. Hope you have a top day.
[Post edited 7 Nov 2018 11:30]

Under that plan it would be pointless to walk straight past the Andover, Anglesea Arms and even the Eagle without a quick sharpener; will you be live-tweeting the day?

First trip to Loftus Road/England for Brentford match. on 12:01 - Nov 7 with 3645 viewsDannyPaddox

First trip to Loftus Road/England for Brentford match. on 11:41 - Nov 7 by hopphoops

Under that plan it would be pointless to walk straight past the Andover, Anglesea Arms and even the Eagle without a quick sharpener; will you be live-tweeting the day?

Taking all those in (and why not?) you'd have to start around 9 in the morning. Which I did once at the Old Ship, then headed East stopping at each hostelry on the way. It was Fulham away. Not too many recollections of the game though I swear we wore mango. Did we win?
First trip to Loftus Road/England for Brentford match. on 12:12 - Nov 7 with 3611 viewshopphoops

First trip to Loftus Road/England for Brentford match. on 12:01 - Nov 7 by DannyPaddox

Taking all those in (and why not?) you'd have to start around 9 in the morning. Which I did once at the Old Ship, then headed East stopping at each hostelry on the way. It was Fulham away. Not too many recollections of the game though I swear we wore mango. Did we win?

There's a good chance you were asleep in the bus stop when Adel stomped up in his full mango kit.

First trip to Loftus Road/England for Brentford match. on 12:22 - Nov 7 with 3588 viewsDannyPaddox

First trip to Loftus Road/England for Brentford match. on 12:12 - Nov 7 by hopphoops

There's a good chance you were asleep in the bus stop when Adel stomped up in his full mango kit.

Mango & Oyster (card) should definitely be an Adel-themed amuse-bouche at the Warren Farm training ground cafe.
First trip to Loftus Road/England for Brentford match. on 12:26 - Nov 7 with 3568 viewsT_Block

Agree with above.Pubs along the Thames by Hammersmith Bridge pre-match then long walk (15 minutes) or tube to ground .Crown and Sceptre after so you can meet Clive.
First trip to Loftus Road/England for Brentford match. on 12:32 - Nov 7 with 3549 viewsBklynRanger

The only negative about The Old Ship, Dove etc is that there won't be that many R's in there, in my experience at least.

If you want more of a match day people-type experience, Cincy I'd go for Crown and Sceptre, Shepherd and Flock,
White Horse, maybe The Green - the river is lovely but those ones would give you more, eh, cultural immersion...
First trip to Loftus Road/England for Brentford match. on 12:51 - Nov 7 with 3515 viewsqprd

First trip to Loftus Road/England for Brentford match. on 10:35 - Nov 7 by CincyHoop

Have you been?! I’m a UC graduate (my freshman year of college was the brawl) so I’ve been to a few. Nothing like beating Xavier. It hasn’t happened often, but seeing those spoiled brats piss and moan all year is glorious.

yeah, that was crazy- I still remember that big lumbering white dude getting his face stomped on

sadly, I haven't been, but its on my list- I used to be a massive hoophead. my alma mater made a very surprise run to the sweet 16 in my senior year (back in the day). sadly ive lost touch with the sport being out here

anyways, shoot me a DM if you want any travel recs, etc.
First trip to Loftus Road/England for Brentford match. on 15:46 - Nov 7 with 3401 viewsCincyHoop

Seriously thank you all for the recommendations! Clearly there still are good people in this word. I think our plan is to stay closer to Loftus Road pre and post match and hit up the pubs along the Thames after checking out some museums on Friday.

As for Armistice day on Sunday, anything cool I should check out (preferably that involves alcohol)?
First trip to Loftus Road/England for Brentford match. on 16:02 - Nov 7 with 3370 viewshopphoops

First trip to Loftus Road/England for Brentford match. on 15:46 - Nov 7 by CincyHoop

Seriously thank you all for the recommendations! Clearly there still are good people in this word. I think our plan is to stay closer to Loftus Road pre and post match and hit up the pubs along the Thames after checking out some museums on Friday.

As for Armistice day on Sunday, anything cool I should check out (preferably that involves alcohol)?

The Imperial War Museum is great, among others. May be rammed on Sunday though. The British Museum is also worth a stop - I think they're both free.

Portobello Road is fun, as is the walk along the South Bank to the Borough via Tate Modern. Also small museums like Leighton House or John Soane's Museum, or the Old Operating Theatre at Guy's Hospital, are all worth the stop and not too much after a Sunday lunch.

London's fulla stuff.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024