Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This sums up the political world 12:41 - Nov 7 with 5759 viewsrunningman75

When a dead brothel owner can win a seat in the U.S this shows the pointless nature of politics in certain places. I am sure there are parts of the UK who will always vote Tory/ Labour regardless of the caliber of the candidate.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/brothel-owner-dennis-hof-wins-13547340
This sums up the political world on 09:11 - Nov 8 with 1230 viewshopphoops

This sums up the political world on 23:49 - Nov 7 by Metallica_Hoop

I've come to the conclusion Left or right politicians are essentially the same.

Which is why popularist movements are doing so well.

'popularist' I guess that means what the 'populace' wants you to do.

Is never popular with the 'elite'.

Anyway I prefer Rousseau and the Athenians.

[Post edited 8 Nov 2018 0:00]

Yes I'm sure all these 'popularist' figureheads would much prefer to be nurses or postmen, they're just duty bound to fulfil the wishes of the populace.

None so gullible as those who see nothing but trickery on one side and good honest truth on the other.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

This sums up the political world on 10:22 - Nov 8 with 1197 viewszicoshoops

I lived in a marginal seat for years, although the current MP won easily last time.

Every Polling day morning I would have at least three of the Parties workers at the door asking for my vote.
I would ask them to sing Frank Sinatra's 'My Way,' and would tell them that I would vote for whoever sung it best.

No one ever fell for it, but still, I live in hope.
Although one year a Tory Party worker told me that Politics was a serious business and I should treat it as such.

So I asked him to just sing the first verse.

What's going on?

We should be told

Sort it out
This sums up the political world on 10:57 - Nov 8 with 1175 viewsToast_R

This sums up the political world on 02:12 - Nov 8 by smegma

As mentioned, some areas, no matter how bad an MP may appear to be, the electorate vote for the same party year in year out. So you could have people in politics like Boris who are placed in safe seats as they are popular in the party.

I have the over safe seated rich kid Dominic Raab as my MP and he does fckall for the people. He's now slithered his way into Theresa May's Brexit office. It's a shame because the Labour candidate was really pleasant but she didn't stand a F*cking chance.
This sums up the political world on 11:00 - Nov 8 with 1171 viewskensalriser

This sums up the political world on 22:57 - Nov 7 by Boston

Thanks for your post Mr Sheen. I reside in a ‘gerrymandered’ district of Massachusetts. It is so precisely to ensure that African Americans have a better chance of representation in political office. It worries me not one bit that this is the case, it worries me more than some people are unaware or prefer not to know.

All very laudable I'm sure, but when you put elected representatives in charge of drawing boundaries what do you think is going to happen?

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

This sums up the political world on 11:22 - Nov 8 with 1148 viewsrobith

This sums up the political world on 18:07 - Nov 7 by MrSheen

Congressional districts are redrawn every 10 years to take into account census data,because districts are supposed to be proportional to the number of voters, and change as people move around. There is an additional requirement under the Voting Rights Act of 1965. From Ballotpedia:

Section 2 of the Voting Rights Act of 1965 mandates that electoral district lines cannot be drawn in such a manner as to "improperly dilute minorities' voting power."[36]

“ No voting qualification or prerequisite to voting, or standard, practice, or procedure shall be imposed or applied by any State or political subdivision to deny or abridge the right of any citizen of the United States to vote on account of race or color.[4] ”
–Voting Rights Act of 1965[37]
States and other political subdivisions may create majority-minority districts in order to comply with Section 2 of the Voting Rights Act.[38]

In 2015, there were 122 majority-minority districts spanning 26 states. California was home to 40 such districts, more than any other state.

Majority-minority districts are drawn up to ensure some congressional representation for minorities in proportion to their presence in the state, and this behind at lot of the unusual shapes of districts, not a conscious effort to deny them representation. The Justice Department of Bush the Elder (Rep.) was particularly active in driving this through to raise the number of minorities in congress despite local opposition, though some critics now say that by effectively collecting lots of minority voters in one place to guarantee a few wins rather than spreading them around, it caps minority representation.

https://ballotpedia.org/Redistricting

About three examples shown:
The first is the old Illinois District 17, which was changed in 2013. You can see it in its more moderate current form, and see the loading of minorities into minority-majority districts in the 1st, 2nd, 4th and 7th here.
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/redistricting-maps/illinois/
Incidentally, the desire to guarantee Hispanic congressional representation led to the drawing of this classic, the 4th.

You can also play around to see how other definitions of fairness would affect boundaries on the site. Illinois generally leans Democratic rather than Republican, but the main result of the search for consensus is to draw districts which rarely change hands, and offer the sitting member the chance of a job for life.

The second is from Arizona. Boundaries are drawn by an independent committee there, rather than by whichever party is in power.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redistricting_in_Arizona
It's actually the seat where the Republican candidate, Paul Gosar, was attacked in a campaign ad by six of his siblings. He won with about 70%.

The third map is from Maryland, where redistricting is essentially carried out by and for the benefit of the dominant local party - the Democrats.
https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/bs-md-maryalnd-redistricting
[Post edited 7 Nov 2018 18:24]

I didn't say gerrymandering was a Republican issue, both sides are as bad as each other, hence why it's such an issue. But thanks for dumping the wikipedia page on the thread
This sums up the political world on 12:22 - Nov 8 with 1121 viewsMrSheen

This sums up the political world on 11:22 - Nov 8 by robith

I didn't say gerrymandering was a Republican issue, both sides are as bad as each other, hence why it's such an issue. But thanks for dumping the wikipedia page on the thread

I didn’t say you did, though others did. I was pointing out that bizarrely shaped constituencies are generally the results of attempts to improve representation, not suppress it.
I agree with you about voter suppression, by the way.
This sums up the political world on 12:39 - Nov 8 with 1102 viewsR_from_afar

Brace yourself for a shock, something good has happened! Yes, really, and in the US too, well, the former US colony which is California, to be precise:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/07/san-francisco-proposition-c-homeless-tax-passes.

This is a tremendous boost for the homeless and very altruistic. The tax only amounts to circa $88k if you're turning over $50m.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

This sums up the political world on 20:36 - Nov 8 with 1021 viewsFDC

This sums up the political world on 16:21 - Nov 7 by hopphoops

The election of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez gives hope, as well as a certain quasi-jailbait guilty pleasure confusion.

The new breed are at least more relatable

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/07/nyregion/ocasio-cortez-congress-washington.ht

Ms. Ocasio-Cortez said the transition period will be “very unusual, because I can’t really take a salary. I have three months without a salary before I’m a member of Congress. So, how do I get an apartment? Those little things are very real.” She said she saved money before leaving her job at the restaurant, and planned accordingly with her partner. “We’re kind of just dealing with the logistics of it day by day, but I’ve really been just kind of squirreling away and then hoping that gets me to January.”
Login to get fewer ads

This sums up the political world on 20:39 - Nov 8 with 1016 viewsFDC

This sums up the political world on 23:49 - Nov 7 by Metallica_Hoop

I've come to the conclusion Left or right politicians are essentially the same.

Which is why popularist movements are doing so well.

'popularist' I guess that means what the 'populace' wants you to do.

Is never popular with the 'elite'.

Anyway I prefer Rousseau and the Athenians.

[Post edited 8 Nov 2018 0:00]

Interesting, you could call this your Horse Shoe Theory

This sums up the political world on 20:44 - Nov 8 with 1013 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

This sums up the political world on 20:36 - Nov 8 by FDC

The new breed are at least more relatable

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/07/nyregion/ocasio-cortez-congress-washington.ht

Ms. Ocasio-Cortez said the transition period will be “very unusual, because I can’t really take a salary. I have three months without a salary before I’m a member of Congress. So, how do I get an apartment? Those little things are very real.” She said she saved money before leaving her job at the restaurant, and planned accordingly with her partner. “We’re kind of just dealing with the logistics of it day by day, but I’ve really been just kind of squirreling away and then hoping that gets me to January.”

I don't think I've ever fancied anyone more, unless Ms Bazza is reading this.
This sums up the political world on 21:29 - Nov 8 with 997 viewshopphoops

This sums up the political world on 20:44 - Nov 8 by BazzaInTheLoft

I don't think I've ever fancied anyone more, unless Ms Bazza is reading this.

You'll be Bazzaintheshed before you know it :)

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

This sums up the political world on 21:55 - Nov 8 with 987 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

This sums up the political world on 21:29 - Nov 8 by hopphoops

You'll be Bazzaintheshed before you know it :)

I think she logs on as SteveC.
This sums up the political world on 23:42 - Nov 8 with 946 viewsFDC

This sums up the political world on 21:55 - Nov 8 by BazzaInTheLoft

I think she logs on as SteveC.

I think I've watched that horror film
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024