Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
First game advice 07:39 - Jan 11 with 2792 viewsDanp73

Hi all, long time viewer first time poster.

I'm bringing my 9 year old daughter to the Preston game, in the hope of turning her into a QPR fan, she's currently leaning towards Spurs but I think a trip to Loftus road and the club shop etc may be enough to sway her.

Anyway, can you pass on any useful tips and hints so she enjoys her day, I.e. what time do the players arrive, is there a fanzone I can take her too etc.

Favourite cheese is probably parmesan, although I did have something called jarlsberg over Christmas which was very nice!

Thanks all.
First game advice on 07:43 - Jan 11 with 2449 viewskingsburyR

Interested also! Want to take my (almost) 9 year old girl.

I sit in Mu and although not overly bad the language is what keeps me from bringing her!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

First game advice on 08:28 - Jan 11 with 2350 viewsthame_hoops

If your daughter is over 6’ she will struggle for leg room

Enjoy
First game advice on 08:34 - Jan 11 with 2343 viewsdavman

The place, the game and the people influence this, but in my experience, the best way to "convert" a kid is to be brutally honest and be full of gallows humour in a positive manner. Winning nothing is the norm, but that's OK because when we do win something. my god, it's good. We are not "famous" in the press and media, so you won't see us on Match of the Day or hear about us every day on the radio, but that is not so much a concern in this media heavy world.
Her friends will taunt her about how "bad" QPR are, she's just got to laugh it off and be proud - we are what we are, can't do much about it; she needs to say with conviction that I would always prefer to support my lot than "your" lot even if it doesn't feel that way some times.

But, here's the kicker:
My son was told that he could support any other team, but that I will not be taking him to any game as I have no interest in other teams. If he wants to go down that path he can, but he won't see live games until he's 18. That helped reel him in.

I had no problem as he understood that it was QPR or no-one. When I have ever talked to him about football, I have rarely talk about anything other than QPR. He was 7 at his first game and he loved it from the off - admittedly it was a 5-2 win (v Forest), but it was a good start. He was in then and now, 5 years later he is WELL in, a proper fan.

Things that have re-enforced this in him:
Fan Zone - something to do before the game where he can kick a ball, chat to a player and the staff and generally, play, which is what kids want to do.
The club in the Lower Loft for kids - ditto, but inside - Wii, Table Football, just being around other kids
Merch - never underestimate a scarf or a hat.
Getting involved - I am passionate during a game (but relaxed after the game) - this is infectious to your kid - if they see you loving it, they will. Similarly, after the game, if they see you pissed off at a defeat, they'll be too. Celebrate the goals like you used to fuelled by alcohol, celebrate with them - they'll love it - sing PigBag like your life depends on it before and after the game, but especially for the goals...
Hanging around after the games - against Brum last year, we hung aroung outside the players entrance and Aaron got photos with almost every first team player (and Gary Monk). He can now tell his mates a) he goes to games and b) he has met actual players.

Finally, get into the mindset that it is just Daddy and Daughter time irrespective of the football and results. Spending time together and having a joint interest (even QPR) is a bloody good way to bond...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

First game advice on 08:40 - Jan 11 with 2331 viewsDylanP

Sit in the front rows of the R Block. It is has the best atmosphere, but you probably don't want to be towards the back coz of the swearing and drinking. Buy her a QPR shirt before the game. When there i a corner, make sure to wave to the camera. She will love the atmosphere (as long as you join in the singing), the shirt will give her buy-in, and seeing herself on TV will seal the deal.

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

First game advice on 08:46 - Jan 11 with 2316 viewsstowmarketrange

There is a fan zone in South Africa road,where the old plastic pitch used to be.My daughter is 16 and is far too grown up to be involved in anything like that,but it looks ok from the outside.
I think the players start arriving from about 1pm onwards and they seem to walk past the club shop,but if she doesn’t know any of them it might not be worth hanging around too much.
There used to be a family zone under the upper loft,and that had games and stuff there.
And of course there’s always Jude and spark to entertain her.
Try to bring your own food in unless your daughter likes cold,raw chips.And they let you bring soft drinks in too.
My kids started coming at 6,and they all fell by the wayside,apart from my youngest who loves away games more than sitting in silence in the family stand.
Good luck mate.
[Post edited 11 Jan 2019 8:48]
First game advice on 08:53 - Jan 11 with 2295 viewsenfieldargh

Take her to the shop buy a jude & spark toy, a pink qpr shirt and when PNE start time wating and grinding out the game in the 5th minute shes got two toys to play with

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

First game advice on 09:13 - Jan 11 with 2239 viewsToast_R

Preston, can't think of a more "Meh" team to watch us play against to be honest. I'd skip that one as an induction if possible.
First game advice on 09:32 - Jan 11 with 2191 viewsstowmarketrange

First game advice on 08:53 - Jan 11 by enfieldargh

Take her to the shop buy a jude & spark toy, a pink qpr shirt and when PNE start time wating and grinding out the game in the 5th minute shes got two toys to play with

Surely it’s only us that do that.Everyone else plays free flowing attacking football from the 1st minute to the last.
Login to get fewer ads

First game advice on 09:33 - Jan 11 with 2188 viewsBuckR

Take her in the White Horse before the game - bit of character building
First game advice on 09:35 - Jan 11 with 2187 viewsenfieldargh

First game advice on 09:32 - Jan 11 by stowmarketrange

Surely it’s only us that do that.Everyone else plays free flowing attacking football from the 1st minute to the last.

Maybe but I think Nobend were the first to really introduce it into play when walking onto the pitch for the first half

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

First game advice on 10:20 - Jan 11 with 2136 viewsDanp73

Thanks for the responses, she's already got a QPR shirt which she loves, unfortunately mickey taking at school has made her question wearing it!

Here's hoping a good day out will change her mind, we're at the front row of NL block so my plan is getting close to the action and maybe on TV will be clinchers! Hoping it doesn't rain.
First game advice on 11:11 - Jan 11 with 2096 viewsstowmarketrange

First game advice on 10:20 - Jan 11 by Danp73

Thanks for the responses, she's already got a QPR shirt which she loves, unfortunately mickey taking at school has made her question wearing it!

Here's hoping a good day out will change her mind, we're at the front row of NL block so my plan is getting close to the action and maybe on TV will be clinchers! Hoping it doesn't rain.

We are in the front row in ML so if u need a babysitter my daughter is pretty cheap.I think it’s more likely to be snow rather than rain.
First game advice on 11:22 - Jan 11 with 2082 viewsdannyblue

Interested in this too. My daughters are 4 are 18 months. I was thinking a season opener one year, when it's still warm. Listening to other people, chips and lots of sweets seem to be good bribery ideas. I took a friend's 8 year old the other day and was surprised by how into the mascots he was, so that does seem to help.

I have to say the away kit this year has helped. My 4 year old says she's "QPR girl" like it's some sort of superhero although alarmingly she somehow thinks only boys play football.
First game advice on 12:12 - Jan 11 with 2023 viewsDanp73

First game advice on 11:11 - Jan 11 by stowmarketrange

We are in the front row in ML so if u need a babysitter my daughter is pretty cheap.I think it’s more likely to be snow rather than rain.

Cheers! I'll be the nervous looking one with arms full of merchandise!
First game advice on 12:34 - Jan 11 with 1980 viewsOakR

I've taken my son, now 8, but from just before 7.

First few games, I took lots for food, and something to read - partly to enhance the experience, partly to give him something to do during potentially dire games (most sadly were!). I've not bothered taking anything extra to the game the last few times as he is completely into them now and is fully focused (in fairness we did not score in the first 2 games he saw 0-0 and 1-0 defeat...)

He likes to get a program. He also likes going with his Uncle as well (if that is feasbile) - makes it more of a trip, I suspect going with a friend cousin also helps.

My biggest recommendation - make them go to the toilet 500 times before you leave the house or 30 minutes before the match starts - hearing 'I need the toilet 5 minutes before KO can be traumatic for all concerned in view of the queues!

Poll: Will we stay up?

First game advice on 12:34 - Jan 11 with 1980 viewsBklynRanger

When my nephew came over we took our time afterwards, went to the club shop etc. If you don't rush you should be able to time finishing up in the shop to coincide with the players starting to come out - may be a bit of a wait (and not ideal if it's cold) but is always exciting for a kid. Could get them to sign something she's just bought, get a few pics. The players are very good about it and it does create a real connection to what you've just been watching.
First game advice on 12:40 - Jan 11 with 1976 viewssimmo

The fanzone is a must, get in there and there's usually a first team player to meet and they have all sorts of games and activities to do. Once you're in the ground, if you sit in the family section (lower loft) there's a small games room with some foosball etc and other bits and pieces.

Fanzone is from around 1pm (I think). Not sure on when the players turn up to the game.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

First game advice on 14:06 - Jan 11 with 1876 viewsWilly_WonkR

A sure way to get them hooked is take them to a play off final. That was my lad's first game at 6. We've been to 15+ games since (we're Northerners so don't get to too many) and we're yet to see another victory. He's just turned 11 and thinks it's all his fault. Hopefully Sheff U will break the sequence.
He's definitely an R though.
First game advice on 15:54 - Jan 11 with 1788 viewsLunarJetman

There was a guy near me who turned up with his grandson to a game ( the kid was no more than about 4 or 5) but walked in about 5 minutes before the kick off with the crowd getting excited and loud which made the kid terrified and he had to leave, missing the game.

When he next brought him next time he came much earlier so the kid could get used to the growing numbers and noise and handled it much better.

My son came down from a similar age and I never had any trouble with him but he was always full of energy and excitement so he just got involved straight away.

On the subject of bad language, he did hear a few things but generally it was in the heat of the moment so he either missed it, didn't understand or he'd look up at me and smirk They're going to hear the same if not worse as they get older so we just used to make sure he knew that he shouldn't repeat anything he heard (in general, not just at football) and he was pretty good.

For a long time he used to sing that Kevin Gallen scored all "through" the night because that's what he thought was being said...

Danny Shittu was interesting as well becuase he'd go round saying his name but with a pause in it so he'd be saying "Shitt (pause) ooo)" and then looking all innocent and said that he was just saying his name....
First game advice on 06:12 - Jan 12 with 1609 viewsDylanP

First game advice on 08:34 - Jan 11 by davman

The place, the game and the people influence this, but in my experience, the best way to "convert" a kid is to be brutally honest and be full of gallows humour in a positive manner. Winning nothing is the norm, but that's OK because when we do win something. my god, it's good. We are not "famous" in the press and media, so you won't see us on Match of the Day or hear about us every day on the radio, but that is not so much a concern in this media heavy world.
Her friends will taunt her about how "bad" QPR are, she's just got to laugh it off and be proud - we are what we are, can't do much about it; she needs to say with conviction that I would always prefer to support my lot than "your" lot even if it doesn't feel that way some times.

But, here's the kicker:
My son was told that he could support any other team, but that I will not be taking him to any game as I have no interest in other teams. If he wants to go down that path he can, but he won't see live games until he's 18. That helped reel him in.

I had no problem as he understood that it was QPR or no-one. When I have ever talked to him about football, I have rarely talk about anything other than QPR. He was 7 at his first game and he loved it from the off - admittedly it was a 5-2 win (v Forest), but it was a good start. He was in then and now, 5 years later he is WELL in, a proper fan.

Things that have re-enforced this in him:
Fan Zone - something to do before the game where he can kick a ball, chat to a player and the staff and generally, play, which is what kids want to do.
The club in the Lower Loft for kids - ditto, but inside - Wii, Table Football, just being around other kids
Merch - never underestimate a scarf or a hat.
Getting involved - I am passionate during a game (but relaxed after the game) - this is infectious to your kid - if they see you loving it, they will. Similarly, after the game, if they see you pissed off at a defeat, they'll be too. Celebrate the goals like you used to fuelled by alcohol, celebrate with them - they'll love it - sing PigBag like your life depends on it before and after the game, but especially for the goals...
Hanging around after the games - against Brum last year, we hung aroung outside the players entrance and Aaron got photos with almost every first team player (and Gary Monk). He can now tell his mates a) he goes to games and b) he has met actual players.

Finally, get into the mindset that it is just Daddy and Daughter time irrespective of the football and results. Spending time together and having a joint interest (even QPR) is a bloody good way to bond...

Agree with everything there. nicely said.

My son is a avid fan and loves QPR in a way that is really fun for me. The first game is all about bonding over the experience, whatever that experience is. It is the passion that she will key in on. If we win or lose, make sure it is still fun for her. She just wants to be with her Dad and wants to share that energy and spark with you -- to have that inside track. It doesn't really matter to her if we win or lose. Obviously, its easier to be passionate if we play well and to make it fun if we win, but the point is your daughter sees you as her hero and she wants to spend time with you.

Me and my son have watched plenty of losses (as well as some spectacular wins, of course). I remember taking him up to Notts Forst for that disasterous 3-0 Boxing Day drubbing. We still talk about that one -- definitely gallows humour. Likewise, I remember going to lots of awful games with my own Dad. We now live in different countries and my Dad is too old to go to matches any more, but we still talk every week after the match about the result. Similarly, my son lives in a different country to me at the moment (he's in Peru volunteering) and QPR comes up every time we speak without fail.

Anyhow, good luck.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2019 6:25]

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

First game advice on 09:45 - Jan 12 with 1506 viewsnix

My boys have been coming since about five years old and are now 14 and 17 and still suffering...

Yes it's a great bonding thing. I wouldn't worry about the swearing. We just told them it's okay at football but nowhere else. Plus they heard it at school anyway from the kids with older siblings!
There's nothing like it whenever we score. Maybe do a little selfie video of the day to keep her occupied and as a reminder.

Have fun.
First game advice on 10:07 - Jan 12 with 1477 viewslondonscottish

First game advice on 09:45 - Jan 12 by nix

My boys have been coming since about five years old and are now 14 and 17 and still suffering...

Yes it's a great bonding thing. I wouldn't worry about the swearing. We just told them it's okay at football but nowhere else. Plus they heard it at school anyway from the kids with older siblings!
There's nothing like it whenever we score. Maybe do a little selfie video of the day to keep her occupied and as a reminder.

Have fun.

I first brought my son when he was about 5. I was vaguely nervous about getting him through the hordes just before kickoff so stuck him on my shoulders and just like magic the crowds parted wherever I went. It really IS a family club.

From about 5-7 he's get bored on and off so I'd make sure he had a programme and/or one of the kids quizzes they used to hand out (tick the box when you see a corner, free kick, penalty, etc etc). And lots of sweets to hand out in batches. And a phone to play on.

I spent the first few seasons at the back of the upper Loft (MU) which gets quite lively and he absolutely loved the atmosphere. Since then I've been more of a tourist. Sometimes sit right at the front on the Lower Loft or the School end )when they're going a friends and family deal). Or half way up for a better view. But it's fun for the (younger) kids to meet the mascots and see the players close up when you're down the front.

At 9 I reckon the OP's daughter is much more likely to take it all in so I'd suggest maybe do the fan zone thing first and get her to meet a first team player and make the connection. And in the game make sure she's got her programme with the squad numbers so she can quickly begin to figure out who's who.

One final thing I do is always buy my kids a badge each on the way home from the stall over by the Bok if Rangers win.

It's great going with mates and it's special going with your kids. Mine are now 14 and 12 and loving it just as much as they did at the start.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2019 10:09]

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

First game advice on 20:54 - Jan 19 with 1242 viewsDanp73

Thanks for the advice, we had a good time at the fanzone, met some of the under 18s and Geoff Cameron, managed to get a few autographs as the players were arriving, all of them friendly and happy to stop. Made the school boy error of leaving after the 3rd Preston goal as my daughter was freezing so missed our goal. She's not a complete QPR convert but wants to go again so not all is lost.
First game advice on 22:45 - Jan 19 with 1148 viewslondonscottish

First game advice on 20:54 - Jan 19 by Danp73

Thanks for the advice, we had a good time at the fanzone, met some of the under 18s and Geoff Cameron, managed to get a few autographs as the players were arriving, all of them friendly and happy to stop. Made the school boy error of leaving after the 3rd Preston goal as my daughter was freezing so missed our goal. She's not a complete QPR convert but wants to go again so not all is lost.

Excellent meeting GC & getting autographs.

And if your daughter wants to go back after seeing Rangers concedethe first 3 of 4 that's a good sign.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

First game advice on 23:27 - Jan 19 with 1105 viewsdaveB

First game advice on 20:54 - Jan 19 by Danp73

Trust me it's worth it, for all the crap like today when you take your kid to a good game and celebrate a late winner it will be well worth it
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024