Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Book recommendations 2020. 12:15 - Jan 3 with 7062 viewsrunningman75

I am currently reading The Boy on the Shed by Paul Ferris. Interesting autobiography about a Northen Irish guy who went on to be the youngest player to play for Newcastle. Seems a very interesting guy and not the usual sporting biography. Anyone else got recommendations for the year ahead.
Book recommendations 2020. on 16:12 - Mar 20 with 1740 viewsPikey

An interesting book by John Honney. ...Always in Motion about his trials and tribulations as an amputee of running the 6 major marathons.
John is a QPR fan and tells a great story that will have you laughing cheering and crying at various stages of his story.

A good football related one a guy played for reading called Johnny Sherwood and was taken prisoner by the Japanese in 2nd world war called Lucky Johnny
Book recommendations 2020. on 16:14 - Mar 20 with 1737 viewsPikey

Of Course the Alan Johnson books especially his first "this boy" about growing up in Ladbroke Grove in the 50s and being an rs fan
Book recommendations 2020. on 09:12 - Mar 21 with 1694 viewsFearless

For those that like the Bourne films, you might like the Gregg Hurwitz Orphan X series
Book recommendations 2020. on 17:21 - Mar 21 with 1653 viewsDannyPaddox

Gonna have another crack at this one.

Book recommendations 2020. on 17:37 - Mar 21 with 1648 viewsCiderwithRsie

Book recommendations 2020. on 11:04 - Mar 19 by MrSheen

You might like William Dalrymple's In Xanadu, a student wandering the silk roads in (I think) the 80s. Very entertaining, wears its learning lightly,
[Post edited 19 Mar 2020 11:12]

Pretty much anything by Dalrymple is worth reading. The bastard is the bloke I'd like to be.

Peter Hopkirk on espionage in those parts (e.g. The Great Game) is a good read too.
Book recommendations 2020. on 02:26 - Mar 22 with 1600 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Book recommendations 2020. on 17:37 - Mar 21 by CiderwithRsie

Pretty much anything by Dalrymple is worth reading. The bastard is the bloke I'd like to be.

Peter Hopkirk on espionage in those parts (e.g. The Great Game) is a good read too.

I picked up Dalrymple’s weighty tome ‘The Anarchy’ when I was back at Christmas.

Initially I thought: when will I have the time to read a big 600 page book? Turns out I’m pretty free until Septemberish and now I’m more worried about reading it too quickly.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Book recommendations 2020. on 08:11 - Mar 22 with 1585 viewswombleR

I very much enjoyed McCarthy's Bar by Pete McCarthy. A very amusing writer who died tragically young.

McCarthy wryly described his school education by the Christian Brothers as "carrot and stick without the carrot".

Another with a London Irish slant is Falling Angels by John Walsh. Describes in a very amusing way his Catholic Irish upbringing in Battersea.

Both defintely ones to take back off the shelf for second readings.
Book recommendations 2020. on 09:46 - Mar 23 with 1522 viewsrobith

Book recommendations 2020. on 12:21 - Mar 19 by RedbourneR

I might have mentioned this one before, but if you're looking for something to take your mind off all this, then City of Thieves by David Benioff - half of the Game of Thrones team - is a great read, set in an under-siege Leningrad during WW2 and about two Russian boys having to undertake a dangerous mission - collect some eggs to make a wedding cake - by crossing the German lines. Really gripping and well-told.

More recently there's the new Hilary Mantel, The Mirror and the Light, which at *checks length* 880 pages, should get anyone through the tedious days ahead; I haven't started it yet but the previous one, Bring Up the Bodies, was brilliant and I thought better than Wolf Hall.

I think that Wolf Hall is a better piece of writing than BUTB, but as the latter is told in a more linear fashion with less ephemeral writing and is therefore easier to understand the plot, it's a more exciting book
Login to get fewer ads

Book recommendations 2020. on 09:48 - Mar 23 with 1520 viewsrobith

If anyone's in to a bit of light fantasy a la ASOIAF, Joe Abercrombie's stuff is great. The First Law trilogy is over 6,000 pages so it will keep you buys, but it's just released the first in a follow up trilogy, A Little Hatred, that picks up the story 28 years later that is quite snappy.

He also wrote a YA trilogy, The Shattered Sea, that's immensely readable, and has a delightful twist in it
Book recommendations 2020. on 07:05 - Aug 28 with 1333 viewsOutWestR

Book recommendations 2020. on 07:53 - Mar 19 by MrSheen

“Say Nothing” by Patrick Radden Keefe about the Provisional IRA. He intertwines the lives of the McConville family with IRA members such as the Price sisters and Brendan Hughes, with another famous face hovering in the background. Amazing access and detail in the circumstances, absolutely gripping. I finished it in three days.

Just finished reading this, having let it sit on the shelf for a few months. Fascinating book, a cliche I know, but I couldn’t put it down and also finished it in three days. Not a subject I knew a lot about, but it’s made me want to learn more.
Book recommendations 2020. on 07:10 - Aug 28 with 1322 viewsNorthernr

Nearing the end of All Played Out/One Night In Turin which looks at English football, the hooliganism, journalism and politics around it, in the run up to Italia 90 and then the tournament itself. Would recommend.
Book recommendations 2020. on 11:25 - Aug 28 with 1237 viewsdistortR

Book recommendations 2020. on 07:10 - Aug 28 by Northernr

Nearing the end of All Played Out/One Night In Turin which looks at English football, the hooliganism, journalism and politics around it, in the run up to Italia 90 and then the tournament itself. Would recommend.

remember that from years back, very good book.
I don't often read anything football related as my interest in football is very niche and I don't read books i regard as poorly written, but I thoroughly enjoyed that.
Just finished a mad French book called Vernon Subutex, will get the follow ups.
I read a couple of Don Winslow books on recommendation from this site, also good.
Currently reading 'The buried giant' by Kazuo ishiguro, it's captured me!
Alas, my l.a keeps cutting the local libraries budget.

Edited out random rant
[Post edited 28 Aug 2020 11:40]
Book recommendations 2020. on 11:36 - Aug 28 with 1230 viewsrobith

Book recommendations 2020. on 07:53 - Mar 19 by MrSheen

“Say Nothing” by Patrick Radden Keefe about the Provisional IRA. He intertwines the lives of the McConville family with IRA members such as the Price sisters and Brendan Hughes, with another famous face hovering in the background. Amazing access and detail in the circumstances, absolutely gripping. I finished it in three days.

While the book is well written the reason he seems to have such access is the author basically using all of Ed Moloney's "A Secret History of the IRA" uncredited.
Book recommendations 2020. on 12:25 - Aug 28 with 1199 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Just finished re-reading 'Team of Rivals' by Doris Kearns Goodwin, and it's a beaut of a book.

It's a biography of Lincoln but also a study in how he befriended his political rivals and made allies of them and how together they won the Civil War and ended slavery.

He's a remarkable figure, and the book is an antidote to these Trumpian times. Can't recommend it enough.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Book recommendations 2020. on 12:59 - Aug 28 with 1180 viewsMrSheen

Book recommendations 2020. on 12:25 - Aug 28 by BrianMcCarthy

Just finished re-reading 'Team of Rivals' by Doris Kearns Goodwin, and it's a beaut of a book.

It's a biography of Lincoln but also a study in how he befriended his political rivals and made allies of them and how together they won the Civil War and ended slavery.

He's a remarkable figure, and the book is an antidote to these Trumpian times. Can't recommend it enough.

Antidote to these times or a warning? War, riot, military tribunals, detention without trial...

I've read a lot around that period, but never got round to that one.
Book recommendations 2020. on 14:14 - Aug 28 with 1147 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Book recommendations 2020. on 12:59 - Aug 28 by MrSheen

Antidote to these times or a warning? War, riot, military tribunals, detention without trial...

I've read a lot around that period, but never got round to that one.

It was an antidote for me in that it made me believe that ethics in political human beings was and therefore is possible!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024