Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Last Dance Netflix (NON QPR) 21:08 - Apr 27 with 2809 viewsthame_hoops

Is anyone watching this series on Netflix?

It’s focused on Michael Jordan’s last year at the bulls

Absolutely fascinating for any sports fan especially US sports fans 🏀

I remember as a teen in the early/mid 90s watching imported VHS videos (from OurPrice records) of the Bulls and falling in love with Pippen, Rodman and Jordan
[Post edited 27 Apr 2020 21:14]
The Last Dance Netflix (NON QPR) on 21:20 - Apr 27 with 2788 viewsrsonist

NBA Raw and 24/7 on Channel 4 for me and everyone else in my school at the time - hard to overestimate how impossibly cool and alien it all was. (Gazetta and 24/7 back to back on weekend mornings, my god - Transworld Sport too if you were a real early bird).

It's barely even the same sport now, sanitised all to hell and technicals for every stupid little thing. Miss u forever Shawn Kemp.

Anyway, been waiting for the Rodman episode all week, about to stick it on now.
The Last Dance Netflix (NON QPR) on 22:44 - Apr 27 with 2732 viewsthame_hoops

The Last Dance Netflix (NON QPR) on 21:20 - Apr 27 by rsonist

NBA Raw and 24/7 on Channel 4 for me and everyone else in my school at the time - hard to overestimate how impossibly cool and alien it all was. (Gazetta and 24/7 back to back on weekend mornings, my god - Transworld Sport too if you were a real early bird).

It's barely even the same sport now, sanitised all to hell and technicals for every stupid little thing. Miss u forever Shawn Kemp.

Anyway, been waiting for the Rodman episode all week, about to stick it on now.

Loved transworld sports! Used to watch early on a 13” black and white tv in my room at my dads on weekends

Rodmans book ‘I should be dead by now’ is a great entertaining read
The Last Dance Netflix (NON QPR) on 10:58 - Apr 28 with 2614 viewsmcqpr10

Know very little about basketball but this really is a brilliant watch.

Jordan was something else, focused purely on winning at all costs. Would love for our younger players to see his drive and determination. However, he had to switch from an individual to a team player in order for the Bulls to start winning. One coach set up the team so everything ended with him scoring. New guy comes in and wants to spread it around the team so Jordan wouldn't get as many points but the team would be better.

Good focus on Pippin and Rodman too. Rodman going on holiday to Vegas is funny.
The Last Dance Netflix (NON QPR) on 05:56 - May 23 with 2419 viewsFredManRave

Absolutely fantastic tv. Great tv. I've only been following basketball for the last couple of years but that documentary makes you realise what an absolute legend MJ was. None of this he was too harsh or a bully rubbish. He did what had to be done and the results speak for themselves. An absolutlete sporting legend.

Just a brilliant sporting documentary. It was like the 4 year plan but over 8 years!

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

The Last Dance Netflix (NON QPR) on 10:37 - May 23 with 2313 viewsslmrstid

We've not finished it yet but me & Mrs are both watching it at the moment. We both agree that when it comes to dominant sports teams of the 90s, Chicago Bulls were THE team you'd always know and mention when it comes to basketball (bit like Man Utd would be if you were talking about football).

Interesting to see that all their NBA titles came in the period Jordan was there.

I've seen some of the articles this week trying to rubbish MJ, calling him a bully and another laughable article saying he'd be kicked out of a modern day football changing room.

My only reactions to that are 1) Nonsense and 2) You cannot compare elite sport to a normal office work environment.

In elite sport, to be successful, you need to be a winner. You need to have that edge, that desire to constantly win and be your best, and the very best players have that with their leadership.

The very best players of all team sports drag their teammates up with them and MJ and the Bulls were no different.

For all the snidey press commentators reporting "oh he's a bit of a bully..." fundamentally misunderstand what it requires to be successful in sport IMO. I'm sure if you asked any of Jordan's teammates of that era "Would you rather have all that success you had, or him be a bit nicer to you?" I'm sure I'd know what the answer would be. And I don't think you could have had both - if he hadn't been so demanding of others he wouldn't have had the edge required to be as successful as he, and the team ended up being.

I'm sure the only modern footall dressing room MJ would be kicked out of would be of a rubbish team. Are you telling me all those Liverpool players, and coaching staff, are nice as pie to each other 100% of the time and not constantly challenging, and demanding the best of each other every day? No chance. To constantly challenge and demand the best occasionally requires a bit of nastiness - its what separates the best from the also rans.
The Last Dance Netflix (NON QPR) on 12:09 - May 23 with 2282 viewsNov77

Glorified netball

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

The Last Dance Netflix (NON QPR) on 12:16 - May 23 with 2273 viewsCammington

Heard really good things about this. I want to give it a go but don't care for basketball. Does that matter?
The Last Dance Netflix (NON QPR) on 12:18 - May 23 with 2269 viewsNoelmc

The Last Dance Netflix (NON QPR) on 10:37 - May 23 by slmrstid

We've not finished it yet but me & Mrs are both watching it at the moment. We both agree that when it comes to dominant sports teams of the 90s, Chicago Bulls were THE team you'd always know and mention when it comes to basketball (bit like Man Utd would be if you were talking about football).

Interesting to see that all their NBA titles came in the period Jordan was there.

I've seen some of the articles this week trying to rubbish MJ, calling him a bully and another laughable article saying he'd be kicked out of a modern day football changing room.

My only reactions to that are 1) Nonsense and 2) You cannot compare elite sport to a normal office work environment.

In elite sport, to be successful, you need to be a winner. You need to have that edge, that desire to constantly win and be your best, and the very best players have that with their leadership.

The very best players of all team sports drag their teammates up with them and MJ and the Bulls were no different.

For all the snidey press commentators reporting "oh he's a bit of a bully..." fundamentally misunderstand what it requires to be successful in sport IMO. I'm sure if you asked any of Jordan's teammates of that era "Would you rather have all that success you had, or him be a bit nicer to you?" I'm sure I'd know what the answer would be. And I don't think you could have had both - if he hadn't been so demanding of others he wouldn't have had the edge required to be as successful as he, and the team ended up being.

I'm sure the only modern footall dressing room MJ would be kicked out of would be of a rubbish team. Are you telling me all those Liverpool players, and coaching staff, are nice as pie to each other 100% of the time and not constantly challenging, and demanding the best of each other every day? No chance. To constantly challenge and demand the best occasionally requires a bit of nastiness - its what separates the best from the also rans.

Agreed.

Certainly the most successful football manager of our generation, Ferguson, would be classed as a bully. It was always his way or the highway, regardless of who you were.
Login to get fewer ads

The Last Dance Netflix (NON QPR) on 14:33 - May 23 with 2235 viewstraininvain

The Last Dance Netflix (NON QPR) on 12:16 - May 23 by Cammington

Heard really good things about this. I want to give it a go but don't care for basketball. Does that matter?

You don’t need to like basketball to appreciate it. The story is incredible and you soon realise that you’re watching greatness.

It reminds me of when my wife and I went to see Barcelona play. My wife doesn’t really care for football but it didn’t take long for her to notice that Messi was head and shoulders above every player on the pitch.
The Last Dance Netflix (NON QPR) on 14:41 - May 23 with 2223 viewsBrianMcCarthy

The Last Dance Netflix (NON QPR) on 14:33 - May 23 by traininvain

You don’t need to like basketball to appreciate it. The story is incredible and you soon realise that you’re watching greatness.

It reminds me of when my wife and I went to see Barcelona play. My wife doesn’t really care for football but it didn’t take long for her to notice that Messi was head and shoulders above every player on the pitch.

Seconded. I know nothing about basketball but really enjoyed the series.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

The Last Dance Netflix (NON QPR) on 23:07 - May 23 with 2172 viewsKiwi76

It’s an incredible story & at least some insight into how Jordan was so successful.
Huge credit to coach Jackson for managing those egos.
That level of elite are definitely a different breed - see Tiger Woods book.

Next up Lance Armstrong doco - definitely bought into him at start & the Not About the Bike book was inspirational as had mate going through cancer treatment at time. Don’t think he’ll come out quite as well as MJ.
The Last Dance Netflix (NON QPR) on 07:37 - May 24 with 2106 viewstraininvain

The Last Dance Netflix (NON QPR) on 23:07 - May 23 by Kiwi76

It’s an incredible story & at least some insight into how Jordan was so successful.

Next up Lance Armstrong doco - definitely bought into him at start & the Not About the Bike book was inspirational as had mate going through cancer treatment at time. Don’t think he’ll come out quite as well as MJ.

I’m sorry but Lance Armstrong is a cheating bar steward and shouldn’t be mentioned in the same breath as Michael Jordan or Tiger Woods.
The Last Dance Netflix (NON QPR) on 09:35 - May 24 with 2035 viewsthame_hoops

The Last Dance Netflix (NON QPR) on 23:07 - May 23 by Kiwi76

Don’t think I’ll watch it, he recently said he was on PEdrugs from age 21 and that’s probably what gave him cancer
The Last Dance Netflix (NON QPR) on 09:46 - May 24 with 2031 viewsthame_hoops

Scottie Pippen not happy with his portrayal in the series it seems
The Last Dance Netflix (NON QPR) on 10:09 - May 24 with 2002 viewsrsonist

The Last Dance Netflix (NON QPR) on 09:46 - May 24 by thame_hoops

Scottie Pippen not happy with his portrayal in the series it seems

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/may/19/horace-grant-michael-jordan-the-la

Nor Horace Grant.

Probably the question to be asking here is not whether the events are distorted but to what extent it matters.
[Post edited 24 May 2020 10:10]
The Last Dance Netflix (NON QPR) on 11:52 - May 24 with 1969 viewsrbsranger

The Last Dance Netflix (NON QPR) on 10:09 - May 24 by rsonist

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/may/19/horace-grant-michael-jordan-the-la

Nor Horace Grant.

Probably the question to be asking here is not whether the events are distorted but to what extent it matters.
[Post edited 24 May 2020 10:10]

There have been some really great Sports documentaries in recent years and this is up there with them. As someone said above, I would love to see our own "Four Year Plan" as a Netflix documentary.
I hate Basketball and loved the Last Dance. Would also highly recommend Sunderland till I die (both seasons). The Test on Amazon Prime (Australian cricket team post-sandpaper); The Edge about the English cricket team and how so many players suffered mental health issues.
Looking forward to seeing the Armstrong documentary. Read his book just before he admitted to doing drugs and then read the book of one his teammates that told all. In a way MJ reminded me a little of Armstrong with that win at all costs mentality, but I think to be a real winner in professional sports you have that selfish drive that can sometimes cross the line.
The Last Dance Netflix (NON QPR) on 11:54 - May 24 with 1969 viewsqprd

The Last Dance Netflix (NON QPR) on 10:37 - May 23 by slmrstid

Agreed

At best, it’s a dumb take by someone who hasn’t participated in competitive sport and doesn’t know what it means to win. At worst, it’s a cynical “faux outrage” take intended to generate a few extra clicks
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024