Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cotswold R's? 18:02 - May 2 with 5261 viewsdubaistu

Seems the Doris has decided when we pull the plug here in the middle east we'll be heading towards Stow on the Wold. Any R's in Gloucestershire, tips on the good, bad and ugly? TIA
Cotswold R's? on 19:20 - May 2 with 4375 viewsGloucs_R

Depends on your budget and what you want out of life.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Cotswold R's? on 00:55 - May 3 with 4289 viewstimcocking

No, but my folks are indeed contemplating relocating there, which would mean i'll be there at least sometimes. Maybe permanently if i come back to look after them.

It is a lovely area; just the sort of place where you can track down an extremely tasty pork pie or sausage roll without much trouble, so that's one problem you won't have.
Cotswold R's? on 01:12 - May 3 with 4283 viewsCiderwithRsie

"The wind blows cold in Stow-in-the-Wold"

Very pretty town, quite small.Countryside stunning. A bit set in aspic for my taste though not as set in its ways as you might think (e.g. the Conservatives took a pasting in the last local elections in 2019) Oxford will be your nearest big town; Stratford-on-Avon and the RSC well within reach if you are a theatre fan.

Hot Fuzz was filmed in Somerset but inspired by this sort of place (Simon Pegg is a Glos lad). See also: This Country for the "other" side of Gloucestershire - very much on the nail.

The Stow Road (A429) is the straightest thing you've ever seen, built by Romans from Exeter to Lincoln, doesn't shift more than a yard or two from the line whether or not there's anything in the way. There were fewer potholes in the roads when the Romans were running Gloucestershire.
Cotswold R's? on 02:22 - May 3 with 4258 viewsBoston

Cotswold R's? on 00:55 - May 3 by timcocking

No, but my folks are indeed contemplating relocating there, which would mean i'll be there at least sometimes. Maybe permanently if i come back to look after them.

It is a lovely area; just the sort of place where you can track down an extremely tasty pork pie or sausage roll without much trouble, so that's one problem you won't have.

He's Jewish.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Cotswold R's? on 04:13 - May 3 with 4244 viewsdubaistu

Cotswold R's? on 19:20 - May 2 by Gloucs_R

Depends on your budget and what you want out of life.

"Champagne taste and lemonade money", so nothing too extravagant but within the catchment area for the Cotswolds Academy for our two kids. I've only been to the area a few times and whilst it's quaint for adults, I want to make sure it's not too boring for the tin lids. Are the Cotswolds clique like Cornwall/Devon?
Cotswold R's? on 05:58 - May 3 with 4221 viewsDubaiR

Hey mate

We did the same move 3 years ago. Dubai to Quedgeley.
Loved being back, it is a gorgeous area and stow is stunning.

Good luck
Cotswold R's? on 08:28 - May 3 with 4144 viewsGloucs_R

Cotswold R's? on 04:13 - May 3 by dubaistu

"Champagne taste and lemonade money", so nothing too extravagant but within the catchment area for the Cotswolds Academy for our two kids. I've only been to the area a few times and whilst it's quaint for adults, I want to make sure it's not too boring for the tin lids. Are the Cotswolds clique like Cornwall/Devon?

The Cotswolds school in Cirencester or Cheltenham?

If you want more to do than a picturesque Cotswold village then you should consider somewhere like Minchinhampton or the villages around Stroud. Stroud is quite hippy/green but nice enough with some very good Grammar schools.

My parents were looking to move to Gloucestershire before CV kicked in. They were looking along the a417 / a419 with some beautiful little villages there but close enough to civilisation if you need more activities.

I know less about the iconic Cotswolds villages other than they are incredibly pretty but the average age seems to be 70 + every time we go there.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Cotswold R's? on 09:02 - May 3 with 4113 viewsenfieldargh

Cotswold R's? on 02:22 - May 3 by Boston

He's Jewish.

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Login to get fewer ads

Cotswold R's? on 09:53 - May 3 with 4059 viewsHunterhoop

Stow is lovely...and there must be a QPR fan living there.

Stayed for a long weekend in late Feb in a rented property and, no word of a lie, there were handmade QPR coasters, so whoever owned it and used it as a second home was an R.
Cotswold R's? on 14:09 - May 3 with 3991 viewsMickS_

Cotswold R's? on 08:28 - May 3 by Gloucs_R

If you want more to do than a picturesque Cotswold village then you should consider somewhere like Minchinhampton or the villages around Stroud. Stroud is quite hippy/green but nice enough with some very good Grammar schools.

My parents were looking to move to Gloucestershire before CV kicked in. They were looking along the a417 / a419 with some beautiful little villages there but close enough to civilisation if you need more activities.

I know less about the iconic Cotswolds villages other than they are incredibly pretty but the average age seems to be 70 + every time we go there.

Another one for Minchinhampton - lovely place.
Cotswold R's? on 17:50 - May 3 with 3922 viewsCiderwithRsie

Cotswold R's? on 04:13 - May 3 by dubaistu

Are the Cotswolds clique like Cornwall/Devon?

Not in my experience. I'm in The People's Republic of Stroud where pretty much anything goes, I've seen an old bloke in tweed breeches like something out of P G Wodehouse chatting to a white rasta hippy in the supermarket.

Unlike Cornwall it's only about 1hr 30-40 minutes by train to Stroud or Kemble from London and about the same down the M4 via Swindon, it's not Deliverance territory*. It's also economically doing OK (very much unlike Cornwall, and not dependent on seasonal tourism) and there doesn't seem to be the 2nd home problem, so I've never found the resentment of That London you get elsewhere.

Gloucs is quite right about the average age in the villages though, if there's any resentment it's about people retiring from London and then refusing to let any new houses be built so young families have to move out.

Minch is lovely as others have said but I'm not sure you'll get much on Lemonade money there - it's Princess Anne's local village which gives you an idea. But if the kids are an issue the Stroud area is worth looking at because Stroud itself has loads more going on than Stow or Ciren and is a bus ride from Cheltenham and Gloucester where there's more. As Gloucs said the schools are good. Keep an eye on the kids wrt to the drugs scene though, there's a bit of that about.

For a real budget option look at Dursley, if it is OK for your work purposes. Pretty little town 30 mins drive from Stroud, stunning countryside but quite cheap because most of the industry has closed down. There you are slightly more oriented to Bristol which has other benefits. (Bristol's about 1 hr-1hr 30 from Stroud down the M5 but surprisingly hard to get to by train)

*Unless you cross the river into the Forest of Dean where all bets are off.
Cotswold R's? on 19:21 - May 3 with 3869 viewsMickS_

Cotswold R's? on 17:50 - May 3 by CiderwithRsie

Are the Cotswolds clique like Cornwall/Devon?

Not in my experience. I'm in The People's Republic of Stroud where pretty much anything goes, I've seen an old bloke in tweed breeches like something out of P G Wodehouse chatting to a white rasta hippy in the supermarket.

Unlike Cornwall it's only about 1hr 30-40 minutes by train to Stroud or Kemble from London and about the same down the M4 via Swindon, it's not Deliverance territory*. It's also economically doing OK (very much unlike Cornwall, and not dependent on seasonal tourism) and there doesn't seem to be the 2nd home problem, so I've never found the resentment of That London you get elsewhere.

Gloucs is quite right about the average age in the villages though, if there's any resentment it's about people retiring from London and then refusing to let any new houses be built so young families have to move out.

Minch is lovely as others have said but I'm not sure you'll get much on Lemonade money there - it's Princess Anne's local village which gives you an idea. But if the kids are an issue the Stroud area is worth looking at because Stroud itself has loads more going on than Stow or Ciren and is a bus ride from Cheltenham and Gloucester where there's more. As Gloucs said the schools are good. Keep an eye on the kids wrt to the drugs scene though, there's a bit of that about.

For a real budget option look at Dursley, if it is OK for your work purposes. Pretty little town 30 mins drive from Stroud, stunning countryside but quite cheap because most of the industry has closed down. There you are slightly more oriented to Bristol which has other benefits. (Bristol's about 1 hr-1hr 30 from Stroud down the M5 but surprisingly hard to get to by train)

*Unless you cross the river into the Forest of Dean where all bets are off.

You’ve just reminded me - some old so and so smashed our old Nissan in the car park of The Ragged Cot. Might have been Princess Anne reversing the horse box out.
Cotswold R's? on 19:24 - May 3 with 3863 viewsMrSheen

Cotswold R's? on 01:12 - May 3 by CiderwithRsie

"The wind blows cold in Stow-in-the-Wold"

Very pretty town, quite small.Countryside stunning. A bit set in aspic for my taste though not as set in its ways as you might think (e.g. the Conservatives took a pasting in the last local elections in 2019) Oxford will be your nearest big town; Stratford-on-Avon and the RSC well within reach if you are a theatre fan.

Hot Fuzz was filmed in Somerset but inspired by this sort of place (Simon Pegg is a Glos lad). See also: This Country for the "other" side of Gloucestershire - very much on the nail.

The Stow Road (A429) is the straightest thing you've ever seen, built by Romans from Exeter to Lincoln, doesn't shift more than a yard or two from the line whether or not there's anything in the way. There were fewer potholes in the roads when the Romans were running Gloucestershire.

That is a weird road. One of the longest drives in Southern England that manages to avoid a town of any size.
Cotswold R's? on 01:03 - May 4 with 3802 viewstimcocking

He's Jewish.

How about some sort of succulent game pie? Pretty sure they'll have them around there, it's that sort of place.
Cotswold R's? on 07:20 - May 4 with 3756 viewsdubaistu

Cotswold R's? on 08:28 - May 3 by Gloucs_R

Sorry, I should have been more specific, The Academy School in Bourton on the Water.
Cotswold R's? on 07:21 - May 4 with 3755 viewsdubaistu

He's Jewish.

Rabs love Jews ATAF ;-)
Cotswold R's? on 07:39 - May 4 with 3734 viewsstevec

Cotswold R's? on 14:09 - May 3 by MickS_

Another one for Minchinhampton - lovely place.

Thought you’d outed a transsexual BBC news presenter.

Great name though
Cotswold R's? on 07:52 - May 4 with 3733 viewsLblock

Used to spend a fair bit of time up in the Wolds; loved it and still do.
It was a dream to get a gaff up there and we actually looked at a few but never worked with finances at the time plus I now have a coastal pull

All the places mentioned are superb but one I really liked was Charlbury.
Another ideal gaff is Kingham but you’re talking mega dosh there

Good luck with it

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Cotswold R's? on 14:18 - May 4 with 3633 viewsGloucester_R

There's a small but active group of Gloucestershire based Rs, mainly in and around Cheltenham and Gloucester area.

Most home games, there's normally two or three cars going passed Stow, on their way to W12, so you should be to catch a lift.

Door to Door your looking at 90 ride from Stow to W12 (slightly quicker for the night games!!)

As others have mentioned Stow is lovely but very pricey and full of Americans and Chinese over the summer months

Personally would look at a smaller town near Stow - there are plenty of picturesque villages to choose from.

Any way good luck with your move back - hope you find the perfect place!!
Cotswold R's? on 17:19 - May 4 with 3561 viewsdubaistu

Cotswold R's? on 14:18 - May 4 by Gloucester_R

There's a small but active group of Gloucestershire based Rs, mainly in and around Cheltenham and Gloucester area.

Most home games, there's normally two or three cars going passed Stow, on their way to W12, so you should be to catch a lift.

Door to Door your looking at 90 ride from Stow to W12 (slightly quicker for the night games!!)

As others have mentioned Stow is lovely but very pricey and full of Americans and Chinese over the summer months

Personally would look at a smaller town near Stow - there are plenty of picturesque villages to choose from.

Any way good luck with your move back - hope you find the perfect place!!

Cheers pal, thanks for your advice and I hope we find something soon. Seeing more of the R's is certainly more appealing, the thought of being surrounded by yanks and Chinese in the summer less so!!
Cotswold R's? on 10:21 - May 5 with 3428 viewsBullyHoop

I'm a coltswolds R. Based near Nailsworth.
I would recommend the move - definitely a slower and better pace of life for us. People have been welcoming. I think it's one of those that you get out what you put in to the community really.
If you have anything specific in mind then do DM Stu.

Good to hear there is a Gloucs Rs contingent. I'll have to make contact once the time comes...
Cotswold R's? on 17:56 - May 5 with 3350 viewsGloucester_R

Cotswold R's? on 10:21 - May 5 by BullyHoop

I would recommend the move - definitely a slower and better pace of life for us. People have been welcoming. I think it's one of those that you get out what you put in to the community really.

Good to hear there is a Gloucs Rs contingent. I'll have to make contact once the time comes...

Hi Bully Hope,

By all means get in touch - I m sure there are a couple season ticket holders in Nailsworth.

We here were there !!!

COYRssssss
Cotswold R's? on 19:03 - Jun 12 with 3098 viewsdubaistu

Cotswold R's? on 10:21 - May 5 by BullyHoop

Hi mate, offer accepted for a house in Bourton so that's the first bit done. Looking forward to catching up with fellow hoops afer the summer.
Cotswold R's? on 19:05 - Jun 12 with 3093 viewsLblock

Cotswold R's? on 19:03 - Jun 12 by dubaistu

Hi mate, offer accepted for a house in Bourton so that's the first bit done. Looking forward to catching up with fellow hoops afer the summer.

Bourton is lovely.

Good luck with it

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Cotswold R's? on 19:14 - Jun 12 with 3056 viewsdubaistu

Cotswold R's? on 19:05 - Jun 12 by Lblock

Bourton is lovely.

Good luck with it

Thanks Lblock, buying "blind" isn't ideal, but we're stuck in the middle east and can't afford to loose much more time.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024