Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Happy VE day chaps. 13:10 - May 8 with 3100 viewsqpr_1968

Happy ve day chaps, especially to those of us that lost friends and family in that war.
and of course the ones that suffered after the war.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Happy VE day chaps. on 02:12 - May 15 with 736 viewsBoston

Happy VE day chaps. on 01:43 - May 15 by timcocking

Indeed. I think i read once that QPR lost 13 players in the war, imagine that. Plenty of Cockings on the war memorials in Kernow.

I'll bet Kernow Hoop was completely unaware he was a marked man.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Happy VE day chaps. on 15:18 - May 15 with 679 viewsfrancisbowles

Happy VE day chaps. on 01:43 - May 15 by timcocking

Indeed. I think i read once that QPR lost 13 players in the war, imagine that. Plenty of Cockings on the war memorials in Kernow.

At least 11 killed in the Great War, only 1, known to be on our books, lost in the Second World War.

VE commemorates the end of World War 2.
Happy VE day chaps. on 02:02 - May 16 with 628 viewstimcocking

Happy VE day chaps. on 15:18 - May 15 by francisbowles

At least 11 killed in the Great War, only 1, known to be on our books, lost in the Second World War.

VE commemorates the end of World War 2.

So it does, but personally i spare a thought for all the brave men and women from all wars at times like that. Plus, of course, the second world war was the second part of the great war.
[Post edited 16 May 2020 2:03]
Happy VE day chaps. on 02:04 - May 16 with 626 viewstimcocking

Happy VE day chaps. on 19:40 - May 8 by enfieldargh

My Dad GRHS served with the RMC in India 1942-1948.

He was stationed in Bombay and was then stationed at Deolali transit camp which has sad connotations with mental health, hence the phrase going doolaly.

Where did your parents/grandparents serve?

One of my grandfathers rode a horse in the 1st war, another was sunk by torpedo (survived but badly hurt).
Happy VE day chaps. on 10:31 - May 16 with 583 viewsfrancisbowles

Happy VE day chaps. on 02:02 - May 16 by timcocking

So it does, but personally i spare a thought for all the brave men and women from all wars at times like that. Plus, of course, the second world war was the second part of the great war.
[Post edited 16 May 2020 2:03]

Very true Tim, especially as we now know that the Germans started rearming in the early 1920s, well before the Nazi party got control.
Happy VE day chaps. on 10:49 - May 16 with 574 viewsR_from_afar

My neighbour asked my wife if "her lot" celebrate VE Day. She's Scottish, so, well yeah

My grandad spent WW2 at the coast with the Royal Artillery, trying to shoot down German 'planes. I found it really moving when I visited Dunwich, one of the places he was stationed.

We need to remember the fallen but do all we can to avoid future conflicts. It's disrespectful to those who lost their lives before if we keep repeating the mistakes of the past. An estimated 800k have died and 20m people have been displaced in the US' "wars on terror" in Iraq, Yemen and Afghanistan.

PS: My French uncle's dad was a general in the French army during WW2. No, not De Gaulle unfortunately. There is a magnificent photo of him, resplendent in his uniform, in my uncle's house.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Happy VE day chaps. on 11:28 - May 16 with 556 viewsfrancisbowles

Happy VE day chaps. on 10:49 - May 16 by R_from_afar

My neighbour asked my wife if "her lot" celebrate VE Day. She's Scottish, so, well yeah

My grandad spent WW2 at the coast with the Royal Artillery, trying to shoot down German 'planes. I found it really moving when I visited Dunwich, one of the places he was stationed.

We need to remember the fallen but do all we can to avoid future conflicts. It's disrespectful to those who lost their lives before if we keep repeating the mistakes of the past. An estimated 800k have died and 20m people have been displaced in the US' "wars on terror" in Iraq, Yemen and Afghanistan.

PS: My French uncle's dad was a general in the French army during WW2. No, not De Gaulle unfortunately. There is a magnificent photo of him, resplendent in his uniform, in my uncle's house.

How old are your neighbours R..? Seems like they don't know much history. You must be proud of granddad who tried to protect BRITISH citizens.

Agree with your sentiments about learning from the past, we just seem to have war after war.

How did your French General relation get on in the war. Where did he end up after the occupation?
Happy VE day chaps. on 15:39 - May 16 with 512 viewsR_from_afar

Happy VE day chaps. on 11:28 - May 16 by francisbowles

How old are your neighbours R..? Seems like they don't know much history. You must be proud of granddad who tried to protect BRITISH citizens.

Agree with your sentiments about learning from the past, we just seem to have war after war.

How did your French General relation get on in the war. Where did he end up after the occupation?

Thanks for your comments. The bloke who said it must be in his late fifties.

I'll try to find out about my French relative. I'd love to know that too!

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024