Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Birdsong. 15:54 - May 25 with 4683 viewsMickS_

We have male Blackbird in our garden that sings both “ Furlong for England” and the first line of “Captain Jack.”

Little things - I’ll let you know when I teach him anything else.
Birdsong. on 14:57 - May 27 with 1119 viewsBoston

Not sure if this thread is what it seems? All this Tit chatter and Faster Pussycat Kill Kill....

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Birdsong. on 15:26 - May 27 with 1103 viewsMickS_

Birdsong. on 12:11 - May 27 by CroydonCaptJack

I too, have been hooked into this since working at home although I have always had a healthy interest in tits.

I discovered a free app called BirdNET that allows you to record the bird song/noise. It then analyses it and keeps a record for you.

I have fat balls up which normally only tits and finches can perch on to eat. However, there has been a pair of Robins that have taught themselves to do the same and I have seen them feeding their offspring from there. The young come and perch on the ground nearby whilst the Mum/Dad (it is probably the Dad as it has the red breast) shuttles back and forth to feed them. So far I have seen the following
Great tits, blue tits, long tailed tits, dunnets, goldfinches, robins, blackcaps, goldcrests, wrens and once a woodpecker. I also get the larger birds like Jays, magpies, blackbirds, pigeons and crows.
Inbetween all this I occasionally do some work.

This is a nice,gentle read, Pete.

https://images.app.goo.gl/J8ctNwLQt7makiee9

They are actually quite hard.
Birdsong. on 00:25 - May 28 with 1058 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Birdsong. on 15:26 - May 27 by MickS_

This is a nice,gentle read, Pete.

https://images.app.goo.gl/J8ctNwLQt7makiee9

They are actually quite hard.

Cheers Mick, I've ordered that.
Birdsong. on 22:00 - May 29 with 1001 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

The Lyre Bird

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Birdsong. on 22:17 - May 29 with 996 viewsMonahoop

Birdsong. on 22:49 - May 25 by HantsR

I saw a black cap today, also 3 cuckoos and photographed a Cettis Warbler (often heard but rarely seen). Highlight was probably the sight of a couple of Hobbies - their latin name is falco subutteo- not many people know that.
[Post edited 25 May 2020 23:25]

Indeed that's how the game Subutteo got its name from the falcon, the Hobby. Great bird.

For all the great musicians and bands that we love, nothing beats the dawn chorus at its best from April to early June. Natures own orchestra for free. Magic.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Birdsong. on 22:50 - May 29 with 988 viewsstowmarketrange

Last night I was sitting reading a book in my conservatory and a heard a couple of small bangs on the window within a couple of minutes of each other.It sounded like a bird hitting the window,so after the 2nd one I had a look outside and a bird sitting on the ground.
I googled what to do if a bird hits a window and the main advice was to leave it alone in case it was just stunned.15 minutes later it had flown away so I thought no more of it.
Tonight my wife was sitting on the same sofa and it happened again,only this time it seems to have proved fatal for the bird.
It was either a blue or great tit,but it seems a coincidence to get this happen 2 nights on the trot out of the blue like this.
Anyone else getting the same with birds flying into their windows,or is it just us?
Birdsong. on 00:16 - May 30 with 969 viewsBoston

Birdsong. on 22:50 - May 29 by stowmarketrange

Last night I was sitting reading a book in my conservatory and a heard a couple of small bangs on the window within a couple of minutes of each other.It sounded like a bird hitting the window,so after the 2nd one I had a look outside and a bird sitting on the ground.
I googled what to do if a bird hits a window and the main advice was to leave it alone in case it was just stunned.15 minutes later it had flown away so I thought no more of it.
Tonight my wife was sitting on the same sofa and it happened again,only this time it seems to have proved fatal for the bird.
It was either a blue or great tit,but it seems a coincidence to get this happen 2 nights on the trot out of the blue like this.
Anyone else getting the same with birds flying into their windows,or is it just us?

Calling Alfred Hitchcock...

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Birdsong. on 08:14 - May 30 with 941 viewsstevec

Yeah happened at my mums a couple of times. Birds are creatures of habit, was told when the suns at a certain level they don’t always pick out glass obstructions. WALLOP!
Login to get fewer ads

Birdsong. on 08:56 - May 30 with 928 viewsHantsR

Biggest killers of birds:cats, cars and conservatories. Happens quite a lot and I often find the image of a speadeagled wood pigeon on the conservatory and bay windows. Good to put some stickers on the glass if possible, for example the outline of a sparrowhawk.
[Post edited 30 May 2020 9:05]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024