Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sir Ian Holm has passed away 13:20 - Jun 19 with 3692 viewsOrthodox_Hoop

The word legend is overused these days but this guy really was a bloody ledge. RIP.
Sir Ian Holm has passed away on 13:33 - Jun 19 with 3642 viewsMrSheen

Agreed, he was great. If you get a chance to see him in a film called "The Sweet Hereafter", don't miss it. For someone who doesn't appear to be doing much, he's totally compelling.
Sir Ian Holm has passed away on 13:49 - Jun 19 with 3603 viewsLythamR

Sir Ian Holm has passed away on 13:33 - Jun 19 by MrSheen

Agreed, he was great. If you get a chance to see him in a film called "The Sweet Hereafter", don't miss it. For someone who doesn't appear to be doing much, he's totally compelling.

I always remember his performance in Alien, compelling while it lasted
Sir Ian Holm has passed away on 14:53 - Jun 19 with 3527 viewsHantsR

A truly great actor. My favourite memory of him was playing King Lear at the NT, along with Anne Marie Duff, Timothy West, Amanda Redman and a stellar cast. Memorable especially for me, it was the day after Diana's funeral and I was sitting near Whoopi Goldberg and Patrick Stewart in the audience. RIP Ian
Sir Ian Holm has passed away on 14:56 - Jun 19 with 3523 viewsEsox_Lucius

RIP Father Vito.

The grass is always greener.

Sir Ian Holm has passed away on 15:05 - Jun 19 with 3507 viewsDavieQPR

He appeared in the film 'The fifth Element' with Bruce Willis. Anyone know the future QPR player who featured in this film?
Sir Ian Holm has passed away on 15:09 - Jun 19 with 3500 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Made anything he appeared in better. Loved him in things as diverse as Night Falls on Manhattan and Time Bandits.

RIP.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Sir Ian Holm has passed away on 15:10 - Jun 19 with 3500 viewsGaryT

RIP Sam Mussabini. One of my favourite actors.

Sir Ian Holm has passed away on 16:06 - Jun 19 with 3442 viewsrobith

What a body of work to leave behind.

He's in Big Night which was recently added to Netflix and I heartily recommend
Login to get fewer ads

Sir Ian Holm has passed away on 18:11 - Jun 19 with 3381 viewsA40Bosh

Sleep peacefully Bilbo Baggins 😢

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Sir Ian Holm has passed away on 18:55 - Jun 19 with 3339 viewsfinnranger

Sir Ian Holm has passed away on 15:05 - Jun 19 by DavieQPR

He appeared in the film 'The fifth Element' with Bruce Willis. Anyone know the future QPR player who featured in this film?

I believe it was a very young Fitz Hall who appeared briefly in the opening scene of Fifth Element, as a young boy looking into the sky as an alien spacecraft lands in Egypt.

Ian Holm was a fantastic actor, found him really menacing in From Hell. RIP.
Sir Ian Holm has passed away on 19:21 - Jun 19 with 3320 viewsGloucs_R

Loved the Hobbit, sad news.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Sir Ian Holm has passed away on 20:03 - Jun 19 with 3301 viewsDavieQPR

Sir Ian Holm has passed away on 18:55 - Jun 19 by finnranger

I believe it was a very young Fitz Hall who appeared briefly in the opening scene of Fifth Element, as a young boy looking into the sky as an alien spacecraft lands in Egypt.

Ian Holm was a fantastic actor, found him really menacing in From Hell. RIP.

It was indeed One Size. Still the best nickname ever.
Sir Ian Holm has passed away on 20:19 - Jun 19 with 3288 viewsqprxtc

Ash to Ashes.
Sir Ian Holm has passed away on 20:54 - Jun 19 with 3250 viewsRoller

For me he will always be Bernard Samson from the TV production of Len Deighton's magnificent Game, Set and Match trilogy. It was not his best work, nor a great adaptation of outstanding books, but I loved it. Thanks to the lockdown, I had watched the whole series again a few weeks ago on YouTube and am currently re-reading the books for the umpteenth time. Godspeed.
Sir Ian Holm has passed away on 22:27 - Jun 19 with 3208 viewsCiderwithRsie

Sir Ian Holm has passed away on 20:54 - Jun 19 by Roller

For me he will always be Bernard Samson from the TV production of Len Deighton's magnificent Game, Set and Match trilogy. It was not his best work, nor a great adaptation of outstanding books, but I loved it. Thanks to the lockdown, I had watched the whole series again a few weeks ago on YouTube and am currently re-reading the books for the umpteenth time. Godspeed.

Glad you mention that, I thought he was terrific in it - actually came over as more scary than I thought Deighton had written him, more intense somehow. (Or more that you could see the scariness that Deighton had given the character but which, Samson, as narrator of the books, didn't stress to the reader.)

Will have to search it out on youtube, didn't know it was there - I don't believe it's ever been repeated on terrestrial TV and I read an interview with Deighton where he said he'd blocked it as he had serious problems with it, I can't remember what.
Sir Ian Holm has passed away on 22:29 - Jun 19 with 3204 viewsEsox_Lucius

Sir Ian Holm has passed away on 15:05 - Jun 19 by DavieQPR

One size, he played one of the boys outside the home of the five elements.

The grass is always greener.

Sir Ian Holm has passed away on 22:33 - Jun 19 with 3195 viewsCiderwithRsie

Incidentally I first noticed him as Frodo in the BBC radio Lord Of The Rings (John Le Mesurier was Bilbo; Sir Michael Hordern terrific as Gandalf) - years later I listened to it again and was amazed to notice that Samwise Gamgee was played by a certain William Nighy
Sir Ian Holm has passed away on 22:57 - Jun 19 with 3166 viewsLythamR

Sir Ian Holm has passed away on 15:09 - Jun 19 by BrianMcCarthy

Made anything he appeared in better. Loved him in things as diverse as Night Falls on Manhattan and Time Bandits.

RIP.

I had forgotten about Time Bandits, the best Napoleon ever

looked for the clip where he is talking about all the great short men in history that he was taller than but it doesnt seem to be on youtube at least i couldnt find in in English.
Sir Ian Holm has passed away on 05:49 - Jun 20 with 3099 viewsjohnhoop

Sir Ian Holm has passed away on 22:27 - Jun 19 by CiderwithRsie

Glad you mention that, I thought he was terrific in it - actually came over as more scary than I thought Deighton had written him, more intense somehow. (Or more that you could see the scariness that Deighton had given the character but which, Samson, as narrator of the books, didn't stress to the reader.)

Will have to search it out on youtube, didn't know it was there - I don't believe it's ever been repeated on terrestrial TV and I read an interview with Deighton where he said he'd blocked it as he had serious problems with it, I can't remember what.

Like you I was a huge fan of Game Set and Match back in the eighties, both the books and the TV series, which I thought was an excellent adaption. The news of Sir Ian Holm’s death made me think of it again and why it had never been repeated on TV. Looking at some stuff I found yesterday evening it was apparently because Len Deighton hated the casting of Ian Holm himself, who I thought was remarkable in the role but Deighton just felt that his lack of height and physicality made him unsuitable for the role of Bernie Samson, who could be physically intimidating and resort to the rough stuff when the occasion demanded.
Sir Ian Holm has passed away on 12:30 - Jun 20 with 3007 viewsMrSheen

Sir Ian Holm has passed away on 22:33 - Jun 19 by CiderwithRsie

Incidentally I first noticed him as Frodo in the BBC radio Lord Of The Rings (John Le Mesurier was Bilbo; Sir Michael Hordern terrific as Gandalf) - years later I listened to it again and was amazed to notice that Samwise Gamgee was played by a certain William Nighy

I loved that too as a kid, listened from start to finish. Was Michael Hordern lampooning himself in the Hitch-hikers Guide, or did that come first?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024