Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
London 2012 17:51 - Aug 10 with 3107 viewsslmrstid

Slightly inspired by Brian's post, but yesterday would have been the end of Tokyo 2020, had the world not gone bonkers in the last 5 months.

Over the past 2 weeks me & Mrs have been watching the day by day highlights from the BBC boxset that was released after London 2012, so we were inline with Tokyo 2020 (and thus slightly out of sync with the day by day highlights of 2012 BBC are showing on their sports website at the moment).

We started 2 weeks ago with the Opening Ceremony - what a wonderful show that was, I still feel the giddy excitement now at seeing it all from the start. Although getting through the athlete's parade is a marathon in its own right.

Always remember the Closing Ceremony being a bit naff, but I think thats also because it was such a wonderful 2 weeks I never wanted it to end.

Was gutted I never got to go to any events live, other than football in Coventry, which was probably one of the last venues you'd really want to go. I did manage to get a day in the Olympic Park in the Paralympics which slightly made up for it. Even now I love the Olympic Park, though it is of course a shadow of what it was for that fortnight. I have also swam in the Olympic Pool, my first and only time being in a 50m pool! Did that a couple of years ago.

Mrs worked as a Games Maker for both the Olympics and Paralympics, based at the Millenium Dome, so watching all the highlights back for the first time in 8 years was for her a lot of completely new stuff, as she missed a lot of it due to the shifts she worked (including Super Saturday, although her experience of it was hearing all the roars coming from the concourses as each medal came in!)

A wonderful summer. Interesting watching back of course as some fairly big British names have been caught up in various big news stories in the 8 years since (Bradley Wiggins and the mysterious package, Mo Farah and Salazar, even Jess Varnish and some of the gymnasts with the bullying allegations against British Cycling / British Gymnastics of recent times...)

What memories do you all have of that summer? What did you manage to see if you got to anything?
London 2012 on 10:16 - Aug 12 with 522 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Cracking thread.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

London 2012 on 11:49 - Aug 12 with 492 viewsAntti_Heinola

London 2012 on 10:00 - Aug 12 by robith

I also recall the Olympic park had the biggest McDonalds in the world. Recall going in anf thinking "Yeah, it's pretty big" but I expected slightly grander

HA HA - that remind me of Homer getting a massive can of beer in Australia. 'It's pretty big... I guess.'

Bare bones.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024