Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stevenage Town 19:53 - Aug 11 with 2186 viewsterryb

Stevenage are back in the EFL!

The EFL appeal into whether the Macclesfield point deduction should apply to this season has been upheld & has resulted in them replacing Stevenage in the National League.

This does beg the questions of why can multiple hearings on Macclesfield take place in such quick time whilst the Wednesday hearing took ages & the Derby hearing is taking forever? Also, why did the EFL appeal this decision but not that the Wednesday deduction is held over?
Stevenage Town on 20:02 - Aug 11 with 2146 viewsQPR_John

I think we all know the answer
Stevenage Town on 20:59 - Aug 11 with 1995 viewsaston_hoop

I had the misfortune of seeing Stevenage v Leyton Orient in January and they were so dreadful, I was struggling to think of a QPR performance as inept as that one.

I'm not a legal mind or particularly up to speed with the Derby situation - is the consensus they are untouchable? Should their (possible) punishment not be applied at the same time as Wednesday which should be applied the same time as Wigan?

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Stevenage Town on 21:10 - Aug 11 with 1961 viewsNewBee

Stevenage Town on 20:59 - Aug 11 by aston_hoop

I had the misfortune of seeing Stevenage v Leyton Orient in January and they were so dreadful, I was struggling to think of a QPR performance as inept as that one.

I'm not a legal mind or particularly up to speed with the Derby situation - is the consensus they are untouchable? Should their (possible) punishment not be applied at the same time as Wednesday which should be applied the same time as Wigan?

None of those cases is the same.

Wigan (only) went into Administration.

Sheff Wed breached FFP Rules, and admitted it, because they somehow booked the sale and leaseback of their ground in the wrong financial year.

Derby deny that they're in breach of FFP. since they claim they were covered by the sale and leaseback of Pride Park. The controversy here is that the EFL aren't persuaded that PP is worth the £80m which DCFC booked it at and which they needed to keep them within FFP.

Therefore while you may think that they're all wrong 'uns, up to no good, you cannot simply apply the same penalty - each case must be treated on its own merits.
Stevenage Town on 21:14 - Aug 11 with 1953 viewsaston_hoop

Stevenage Town on 21:10 - Aug 11 by NewBee

None of those cases is the same.

Wigan (only) went into Administration.

Sheff Wed breached FFP Rules, and admitted it, because they somehow booked the sale and leaseback of their ground in the wrong financial year.

Derby deny that they're in breach of FFP. since they claim they were covered by the sale and leaseback of Pride Park. The controversy here is that the EFL aren't persuaded that PP is worth the £80m which DCFC booked it at and which they needed to keep them within FFP.

Therefore while you may think that they're all wrong 'uns, up to no good, you cannot simply apply the same penalty - each case must be treated on its own merits.

I get they're different cases even though I'm certainly not sure of the details so thanks for that summary, much appreciated. Its just that I don't get why they are applied at different times? why was Wigan this season but for Wednesday its next season?

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Stevenage Town on 22:31 - Aug 11 with 1797 viewsNewBee

Stevenage Town on 21:14 - Aug 11 by aston_hoop

I get they're different cases even though I'm certainly not sure of the details so thanks for that summary, much appreciated. Its just that I don't get why they are applied at different times? why was Wigan this season but for Wednesday its next season?

Taking Wigan in isolation, the penalty for Admin is a 12 points deduction. This is meant to be a severe penalty i.e. potentially enough to relegate a club or deny them promotion, so as to give deterrent value

In Wigan's case, applying it this season meant it had "teeth", since it relegated them, whereas applying it next season may not have hurt them so much, if at all.

Meanwhile, had Wigan gained enough [points this season to stay up even despite the deduction, then the EFL would have deferred it to next season, in order to have some impact.

And the other aspect of such a process is that it stops clubs in danget of going into Admin second-guessing the EFL, and bringing forward Admin in a season where they were likely to go down anyhow, while holding off in a season where they're safe, or even in the running for promotion.

Now ask me why Sheff Wed's deduction wasn't applied this season.

For which the only answer is "Christ Knows!"
Stevenage Town on 23:06 - Aug 11 with 1736 viewsstowmarketrange

Stevenage Town on 22:31 - Aug 11 by NewBee

Taking Wigan in isolation, the penalty for Admin is a 12 points deduction. This is meant to be a severe penalty i.e. potentially enough to relegate a club or deny them promotion, so as to give deterrent value

In Wigan's case, applying it this season meant it had "teeth", since it relegated them, whereas applying it next season may not have hurt them so much, if at all.

Meanwhile, had Wigan gained enough [points this season to stay up even despite the deduction, then the EFL would have deferred it to next season, in order to have some impact.

And the other aspect of such a process is that it stops clubs in danget of going into Admin second-guessing the EFL, and bringing forward Admin in a season where they were likely to go down anyhow, while holding off in a season where they're safe, or even in the running for promotion.

I heard on 5live tonight that Macclesfield had reached the end of the road in their various appeals,but Sheffield would’ve only been at the start of the process and if they’d appealed their points deduction it would’ve lasted well into next season and it would’ve caused chaos about who was it what division.
I didn’t hear him say anything about why it wasn’t done earlier in the season.
Stevenage Town on 08:03 - Aug 12 with 1513 viewsstevec

Stevenage Town on 22:31 - Aug 11 by NewBee

Don’t think your 3rd paragraph is correct, as I understand it, if they’d finished 12 points above the bottom 3 (in light of their superior goal difference) they’d have stayed up and started afresh next season. I think, if they’d finished bottom 3 irrespective of a 12 point deduction, only then would they face the deduction in League One.
Stevenage Town on 08:24 - Aug 12 with 1475 viewsNorthernr

Stevenage Town on 08:03 - Aug 12 by stevec

Don’t think your 3rd paragraph is correct, as I understand it, if they’d finished 12 points above the bottom 3 (in light of their superior goal difference) they’d have stayed up and started afresh next season. I think, if they’d finished bottom 3 irrespective of a 12 point deduction, only then would they face the deduction in League One.

Correct.

It's to stop clubs that are already down taking the admin and 12 point hit so they can start afresh the following season. One of many tricks Leeds tried when Shaun Harvey was their CEO.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Login to get fewer ads

Stevenage Town on 09:59 - Aug 12 with 1326 viewsterryb

Stevenage Town on 08:24 - Aug 12 by Northernr

Correct.

It's to stop clubs that are already down taking the admin and 12 point hit so they can start afresh the following season. One of many tricks Leeds tried when Shaun Harvey was their CEO.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Dearest Kenneth.

Saturday at 17.00 get relegated. Saturday at 17.01 enter administration. Monday, buy the club back from the administrators.

What many people don't realise is that Wigan are not free from a points deduction for next season yet. If they fail to exit administration in time (I can't remember the date) they would either be barred from competeing or face a points deduction.

Also, if they have exited administration, they must have agreed a CVA that pays the creditors a minimum of 25p in the £. Less than that they will have a 15 point deduction.

This happened to Leeds in 2008 & instead of being Champions of Division One they were in the play offs & lost to Huddersfield!
Stevenage Town on 14:13 - Aug 12 with 1151 viewsNewBee

Stevenage Town on 08:03 - Aug 12 by stevec

Fair enough, I stand corrected.

Either way, I think the EFL should adopt the same procedure as I believe applies in Spain.

There if a club goes into Admin it automatcally incurs a two division relegation. (One relegation wouldn't mean much to a team which was doomed to go down anyhow).

This is a real deterrent since they are far more likely to put in the money needed to avoid Admin (if they have it), or sell the club before the inevitable happens (if they won't/don't).
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024