Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Premier League changes 12:56 - Oct 11 with 19238 viewsGloucs_R

http://news.sky.com/story/premier-leagues-major-clubs-propose-shrinking-top-flig

Trying to reduce it to 18 clubs, talk of a professional B League....

The rich getting richer

Poll: Are we staying up?

Premier League changes on 13:10 - Oct 11 with 4815 viewsDannyPaddox

Premier League changes on 13:29 - Oct 11 with 4772 viewsphilc

Not surprised it’s Man Utd and Liverpool behind these proposals, both owned by greedy Americans with no concept of the structure of English football.

After this it will be no promotion or relegation or else they will threaten to set up a European super league.

They should remember that when the premier league was proposed neither Chelsea or Man City were in the leading clubs pushing for it. It’s that that makes the English system so strong, it’s getting harder but clubs can still break the monopoly.
Premier League changes on 13:33 - Oct 11 with 4758 viewsStanisgod

We can't have another Leicester can we.
Couldn't care less to be fair, p#ss off to your super league playing the same teams every week.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Premier League changes on 13:51 - Oct 11 with 4713 viewsQPRSteve

C*nts the lot of them
Premier League changes on 13:53 - Oct 11 with 4713 viewsrsonist

Yeah maybe don't expect Sky News to report the fine points of the deal.

https://www.football365.com/news/liverpool-man-utd-drive-project-big-picture-pre
Premier League changes on 14:16 - Oct 11 with 4660 viewsMatch82

Premier League changes on 13:53 - Oct 11 by rsonist

Yeah maybe don't expect Sky News to report the fine points of the deal.

https://www.football365.com/news/liverpool-man-utd-drive-project-big-picture-pre

There are bits of that which aren't terrible. Don't really care about the Premier league going down to 18 teams, the playoff idea is... fine, and the financial distribution of future payments is certainly better than it is today

The concerning parts for me are the "special status" of the big six, and the basically unlimited loans.

I didn't see anything in there about b teams.
Premier League changes on 14:28 - Oct 11 with 4625 viewsrsonist

EPL's noble and selfless concern for Championship financial reform eerily reminiscent of the cynical corona libertarian cnts suddenly co-opting the cause of mental health awareness and increasing suicide rates during lockdown restrictions.
Premier League changes on 14:30 - Oct 11 with 4619 viewsLazyFan

What's also interesting is they have not taken on the change of must have 4 homegrown players in the team at any time on the pitch. So, it will also be bad for England team too. Funny that.

I don't think it will get through, Everton, Palace, Leicester. Southampton and others will block it. They then at this point may nip off for a Europa League and that would be their biggest mistake.

At that point, the prem clubs left bring in the champ clubs and the pyramid moves up. Their big Europa mess fails and they are left swinging in the wind with no one to play. Told to start again in a non-leagues way down the pyramid.

Welcome to Roehampton playing fields and this is Bubba Shanks. He's on day release to play foothead against you today. With your head as the ball. Don't make him angry as it could get dangerous in the showers afterwards.

zzzzzzzzzz

Login to get fewer ads

Premier League changes on 14:41 - Oct 11 with 4580 viewsrsonist

Premier League changes on 14:30 - Oct 11 by LazyFan

What's also interesting is they have not taken on the change of must have 4 homegrown players in the team at any time on the pitch. So, it will also be bad for England team too. Funny that.

I don't think it will get through, Everton, Palace, Leicester. Southampton and others will block it. They then at this point may nip off for a Europa League and that would be their biggest mistake.

At that point, the prem clubs left bring in the champ clubs and the pyramid moves up. Their big Europa mess fails and they are left swinging in the wind with no one to play. Told to start again in a non-leagues way down the pyramid.

Welcome to Roehampton playing fields and this is Bubba Shanks. He's on day release to play foothead against you today. With your head as the ball. Don't make him angry as it could get dangerous in the showers afterwards.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54499998
It is also planned that, as well as the 'big six', ever-present league member Everton, West Ham United and Southampton - ninth and 11th respectively in the list of clubs who have featured in the most Premier League seasons - would be granted special status.
Premier League changes on 14:43 - Oct 11 with 4570 viewsrsonist

The Telegraph have the fullest breakdown - here's the text for those paywalled:

https://pastebin.com/raw/n1pvTUJQ
Premier League changes on 14:55 - Oct 11 with 4524 viewsaston_hoop

So thats fewer games for the biggest teams who now have special protection meaning they can fit in more lucrative European football, plus potentially taking away extra Premier League places for teams below so that they can stay more in a bubble? Plus it means they can rack and stack more youngsters and send them to league clubs in bigger volumes than before rather than protect smaller clubs developing youngsters of their own? And all in the guise of being some kind of saviours of league football? nope, not having this.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Premier League changes on 15:11 - Oct 11 with 4473 viewsMedwayR

Premier League changes on 14:55 - Oct 11 by aston_hoop

So thats fewer games for the biggest teams who now have special protection meaning they can fit in more lucrative European football, plus potentially taking away extra Premier League places for teams below so that they can stay more in a bubble? Plus it means they can rack and stack more youngsters and send them to league clubs in bigger volumes than before rather than protect smaller clubs developing youngsters of their own? And all in the guise of being some kind of saviours of league football? nope, not having this.

Later start for the prem season too so they can fit in more friendlies.

I don't know why anyone in the UK bothers to 'support' the 'big 6' anymore. I struggle to keep interested in QPR at times, no way would I be able to stay interested in the likes of Utd etc.

Poll: Who’s better?

Premier League changes on 15:12 - Oct 11 with 4472 viewsphilc

I don’t have an issue with them not competing in the EFL cup although clubs should have the choice, dropping the Community Shield just shows the owners lack of knowledge and care of tradition, it must be one of the oldest games for a trophy in the world. And of course we were in the first ever one or possibly first two.

What I don’t understand is the special status for clubs, what does that mean?
Premier League changes on 15:20 - Oct 11 with 4445 viewsrsonist

Premier League changes on 15:12 - Oct 11 by philc

I don’t have an issue with them not competing in the EFL cup although clubs should have the choice, dropping the Community Shield just shows the owners lack of knowledge and care of tradition, it must be one of the oldest games for a trophy in the world. And of course we were in the first ever one or possibly first two.

What I don’t understand is the special status for clubs, what does that mean?

The big 6 need it to be 9 so as to masquerade as democratic a two-thirds majority in exclusive 'Special Voting Rights’ (control over club ownership, cost control, sponsorship, commercial and broadcasting rights etc)
Premier League changes on 15:31 - Oct 11 with 4403 viewsGloucs_R

Hate this idea...

Two sides automatically relegated from the Premier League every season and the top two Championship teams promoted. The 16th place Premier League club in a play-off tournament with the Championship’s third, fourth and fifth placed teams.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Premier League changes on 15:34 - Oct 11 with 4396 viewsrsonist

Will anyone hold Rick Parry to account for still working for Liverpool this whole time? Get a load of these quotes.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/10/11/rick-parry-exclusive-interview-n
“The fact that our two greatest clubs are showing leadership at a time when the game is crying out for it is fantastic. For me that’s a great part of the story. We should be looking at our great clubs at times like this and they should be stepping up to the plate. They are. Clearly I have had an input because all of this will come as something as a surprise to our clubs [in the EFL]. I am hoping they will be receptive but it is subject to their approval.”

“For me this addresses the three biggest challenges the EFL faces. This started pre-Covid — it addressed the gulf between top and bottom and the long-term survival of our smaller clubs. You cannot do this without a major rethink. It is as big as the formation of the Premier League. It is a coming-together and clearly it’s a great story for all of our 72 [EFL] clubs.”

“They [Liverpool and United] are not making threats about European super leagues as far as I know. In the event it doesn’t happen and they are bitterly disappointed then as to what might then happen anybody can speculate. At the moment it is presented for what it is a really genuinely bold plan for the future of English football.

“Yes, there are bits that people won’t like. All your points about the 14 [other clubs] and about competitive balance are absolutely valid. What do we do? Leave it exactly as it is and allow the smaller clubs to wither? Recognise we have an enormous gap, recognise we have a structure that depends [in the EFL] on owner funding? Or do we do something about it? And you can’t do something about it without something changing. And the view of our clubs is if the [big] six get some benefits but the 72 also do, then we are up for it.”

Asked what the reaction of Liverpool and United might be to a rejection of their proposals, Parry said: “I would phrase it diplomatically in that, ‘Isn’t this the thing that’s going to prevent them from doing that [leaving the Premier League] and make it more likely they are committed to the future of English football?’ They have thrown their lot in with a very bold plan to save the English pyramid.”

“[Under these proposals] They [big clubs] have more space and the calendar isn’t that cluttered. That is a major benefit for them. There are governance changes in there where they want a greater say. They are frustrated that they get outvoted ... how can Huddersfield have the same vote as Man United? How can Blackpool come up and abuse their one stay in the Premier League [and yet] have the same vote as Man United and Liverpool.”
[Post edited 11 Oct 2020 15:36]
Premier League changes on 15:41 - Oct 11 with 4367 viewsQPRSteve

“[Under these proposals] They [big clubs] have more space and the calendar isn’t that cluttered. That is a major benefit for them. There are governance changes in there where they want a greater say. They are frustrated that they get outvoted ... how can Huddersfield have the same vote as Man United? How can Blackpool come up and abuse their one stay in the Premier League [and yet] have the same vote as Man United and Liverpool.”

It's called democracy.
Premier League changes on 15:48 - Oct 11 with 4354 viewsNorthernr

Once you change the voting rights like that you’re signing your own death warrant. Every single change thereafter, (and there’ll be loads) will be to the benefit of those 6 clubs, which is almost always to the detriment of clubs like ours. B Teans would be one of the first things, but not included now because they know it’s unpopular.

It would be an incredibly short sighted move to secure a relatively small bit of cash now in a desperate moment. £250m is £3.5m each, its fck all, and the EFL would be paying for it for 100 years. As rsonist says above, Rick parry basically seems to still be working for Liverpool while pretending to represent the EFL.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Premier League changes on 16:13 - Oct 11 with 4279 viewsrsonist

Premier League changes on 15:48 - Oct 11 by Northernr

Once you change the voting rights like that you’re signing your own death warrant. Every single change thereafter, (and there’ll be loads) will be to the benefit of those 6 clubs, which is almost always to the detriment of clubs like ours. B Teans would be one of the first things, but not included now because they know it’s unpopular.

It would be an incredibly short sighted move to secure a relatively small bit of cash now in a desperate moment. £250m is £3.5m each, its fck all, and the EFL would be paying for it for 100 years. As rsonist says above, Rick parry basically seems to still be working for Liverpool while pretending to represent the EFL.

This post has been edited by an administrator

I didn't excerpt but just to add that the article says Parry has been cooking this up with them for three years.
Premier League changes on 16:23 - Oct 11 with 4251 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Premier League changes on 14:43 - Oct 11 by rsonist

The Telegraph have the fullest breakdown - here's the text for those paywalled:

https://pastebin.com/raw/n1pvTUJQ

Thanks for that rsonist. the Devil will be in the detai but it will doubtless protect those clubs who are currently successful and doom the majority to perpetual mediocrity, and it's timing during a pandemic when L1 and L2 clubs are desperate for short-term cash is appallingly brazen and soulless.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Premier League changes on 17:00 - Oct 11 with 4176 viewsloftboy

I think this will be the straw that breaks the camels back for me, falling out of love with the so called professional game, this will ruin it for the EFL.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Premier League changes on 17:16 - Oct 11 with 4146 viewsrsonist

Premier League changes on 18:00 - Oct 11 with 4046 viewsMistication92

18 teams would be good if it got the PL off the telly for a bit longer every year. I feel like football is reaching over-saturation in the UK, so decluttering isn't the worst idea. I've been in favour of scraping the LC for ages, no one cares about it.

The reduction from 4 to 3 EFL teams in the playoffs would be bad though, a lot of drama comes from that 6th place race every year.

The veto on changes in club ownership is straight out of US sports leagues. Bit weird. Also allowing clubs to have 15 players out on loan every year - don't the bigger clubs have more than that anyway?!
Premier League changes on 18:11 - Oct 11 with 4037 viewsStanisgod

Premier League changes on 14:41 - Oct 11 by rsonist

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54499998
It is also planned that, as well as the 'big six', ever-present league member Everton, West Ham United and Southampton - ninth and 11th respectively in the list of clubs who have featured in the most Premier League seasons - would be granted special status.

This is the same West ham that have battled relegation practically the whole time they've been in it.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Premier League changes on 19:25 - Oct 11 with 3910 viewsOldPedro

Premier League changes on 18:11 - Oct 11 by Stanisgod

This is the same West ham that have battled relegation practically the whole time they've been in it.

West Ham and Southampton would love this - they could then support a vote that abolished relegation from the Premier League

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024