Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Niko 12:16 - Nov 2 with 6622 viewsswisscottage

here's been little posted about him since he replaced Wallace, and I was just wondering what others thoughts were on him.

From my perspective, I thought he looked a little shaky when he came on for Wallace, but since then I've been impressed with him, as he seem to some on for every game.

He's a bit of a strange one, in that he doesn't really standout much, but just seems to get on with his job with no fuss. He's the sort of player you don't tend to notice much during the match, but when reflecting on it you realise that he hardly put a foot wrong, and you struggle to think of any opportunities created down his side. Even going forward he just quietly got about his business,, getting a couple of half decent crosses into the box, and taking part in a number of triangles.

Now admittedly Cardiff were dreadful on Saturday with their only avenue of attack seemingly long balls down the middle.

Anyway, I for one would be more than happy for him to keep his place over Wallace for the time being.
Niko on 22:33 - Nov 11 with 1775 viewsMyke

Niko on 22:14 - Nov 11 by QPRSteve

Played the whole 90 minutes in a 2-0 win.

The more games he gets the more confident he should become. It should be an ideal learning environment, for both him and Kakay, to play in, without the added pressure of crowds.
On a related incident, and not wishing to rehash the whole Manning thing again, but I must admit to feeling a tinge of regret when it was announced on Irish radio today that: 'Swansea's uncapped left back, Ryan Manning is set to join up with the squad after the friendly international against England".
Niko on 11:38 - Nov 12 with 1519 viewsericgen34

Niko on 22:14 - Nov 11 by QPRSteve

Played the whole 90 minutes in a 2-0 win.

I watched the whole game and I thought he played well. A performance like most for us, solid and not flashy. Most of France's attacks were on the other side of the defense though, but when Griezmann came in later on in the second half that moved to his side and he held quite well. He did 3 forays forward, resulting in a good free kick and 2 corners for Finland which is noteworthy because most of the play happened in Finland's half
Niko on 21:12 - Nov 21 with 1258 viewsswisscottage

Big up for Niko today. Thought he was class when he came on, and seems to be growing in confidence with every game. His crossing today was every bit as good as Manning's was last season.
Niko on 21:13 - Nov 21 with 1256 viewsNorthernr

Niko on 21:12 - Nov 21 by swisscottage

Big up for Niko today. Thought he was class when he came on, and seems to be growing in confidence with every game. His crossing today was every bit as good as Manning's was last season.

Very decent today against a tough opponent.
Niko on 21:24 - Nov 21 with 1203 viewsHunterhoop

He was twice the player Wallace was today. Miles better in both attack and defence.

It shouldn’t even be a discussion anymore. Niko needs to be the first choice now. He’s playing better, he’s come out system, he has potential to improve further and become a real asset. We need to give him game time.
Niko on 21:34 - Nov 21 with 1176 viewsMyke

Niko on 21:24 - Nov 21 by Hunterhoop

He was twice the player Wallace was today. Miles better in both attack and defence.

It shouldn’t even be a discussion anymore. Niko needs to be the first choice now. He’s playing better, he’s come out system, he has potential to improve further and become a real asset. We need to give him game time.

To be fair Warburton is very good at bringing younger players along at the right pace, backed up I'm sure by advice from Ramsey and others. See how Kakay is getting a breather now and Chair did at various times next last year. I'm sure Niko will get plenty game time, but equally, Wallace will play a fair few games too.
Niko on 21:41 - Nov 21 with 1158 viewsnix

Niko on 21:34 - Nov 21 by Myke

To be fair Warburton is very good at bringing younger players along at the right pace, backed up I'm sure by advice from Ramsey and others. See how Kakay is getting a breather now and Chair did at various times next last year. I'm sure Niko will get plenty game time, but equally, Wallace will play a fair few games too.

I agree with you Myke that it's a deliberate policy to being the younger players on carefully. Also Niko has been travelling with the Finland team. But he certainly seems to be improving every game he plays. He did a lovely pass for Finland v Wales which should have led to a goal. Looking forward to seeing more of him.
Niko on 23:46 - Nov 21 with 1056 viewsqprd

I thought he was MOTM today....

It wasn’t just his crossing which was good.... his dribbling, his Diagonal long through balls to adomah, that clipped ball to dykes..... absolute pure class, and he did well defensively too

He makes some mistakes in defense but his athleticism allows him to kind of make up for it..,,

Really delighted with his performance .... pure class
Login to get fewer ads

Niko on 00:45 - Nov 22 with 994 viewsCiderwithRsie

Niko on 21:34 - Nov 21 by Myke

Yes, and worth noting that a year or so ago people were questioning whether either Kakay or Hamalainan (or The Hemulen, as I always think of him) would make it at this level. Which is not a dig at those people, there wasn't much evidence in favour then, but a credit to Warbs/Ramsay.
Niko on 08:52 - Nov 22 with 853 viewsgazza1

His best 45 minutes in an R's shirt today......bring him on slowly.
Niko on 10:18 - Nov 22 with 785 viewsfrancisbowles

I agree with those that say bring him on at a pace that suits him. Wallace is an experienced head and seems to be a valuable squad player. He will start some games, otherwise Niko will find it difficult to be up for game after game.

It was noticeable that being left out of the starting line up today, then being asked to be first sub and make an impact, led to his best performance so far.

He has pace, which with his other talents, makes him potentially a better left back than Manning or any who have worn that shirt in the last few years. No ambling back on show today. Best player on the pitch in the second half.
Niko on 10:21 - Nov 22 with 777 viewsBlackCrowe

Niko on 12:26 - Nov 2 by stevec

Yeah and that turning the back is not unique to just him. Another of those little things a manager should be on top of.

Agree with this. Thought there was three or four occasions that we bottled out of a 50/50 at the last second. Guess that comes from having so many red cards, makes players think twice.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Niko on 13:14 - Nov 22 with 689 viewsderbyhoop

Niko has been steady. Rarely does anything dramatic nor have there been any major cock-ups. I'm not sure he will ever be any better than Championship level but the more he plays, the more he is likely to displace Wallace.

Saying that, Warbs knows the need to look after his players. Especially when we have so many games in a short period.

I'm impressed with the way we are trying to bring so many younger players through. Dieng is still young for a keeper; Kakay, Masterson, Niko, Chair, BOS, Willock with Kelman bound to get chances, as well.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024