Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Morning campers 00:52 - Nov 16 with 1260 viewsstowmarketrange

I have a people carrier and I can remove the rear 5 seats and turn it into a very basic camper van by putting in a double mattress and other things.
I plan to spend a lot of weekends next summer travelling around the country a bit more,and even some away games early next season.

Does anyone know the law regarding sleeping in the back if I park it in a pub car park and go for a few beers in that pub.Can I be done for drinking and driving because I’m in charge of the vehicle and have the keys with me?I think it is ok on a campsite,but I don’t know what would happen if it was parked elsewhere.
Anyone with knowledge of the laws regarding this issue?Thanks in advance.
Morning campers on 01:10 - Nov 16 with 1239 viewsBoston

You may well become our first known fan from the itinerant community.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Morning campers on 01:51 - Nov 16 with 1220 viewsDavieQPR

I sold my Transit and bought a pink one because I wanted a Camper Van.
Morning campers on 02:02 - Nov 16 with 1214 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

You can do whatever you want as long as you don’t get caught.

No idea which law he broke, but a neighbour (known as Mad John) of my Mum and Dad’s in their quiet cul de sac used to drink outside in his car because his wife didn’t like drinking in the house or whatever and some snide called the police and they took him away on the basis he was drunk in charge of a vehicle.

Him threatening to smash the coppers and the neighbour up probably didn’t help. But he got done on because his keys were in the ignition.
[Post edited 16 Nov 2020 2:04]
Morning campers on 06:21 - Nov 16 with 1132 viewseghamranger

I think it’s ‘ intent’. Are you intending to drive it.

I think if you don’t have the keys and you can show that your not intending on driving it. Make sure the engine isn’t warm and. It has some sort of permanencey there.

In other words... make it look like a caravan... stick a gazebo next to it, a bin outside etc. Maybe permission and confirmation from the pub landlord.
Morning campers on 07:10 - Nov 16 with 1083 viewsdistortR

yeah, be careful. My son was working with a crew putting up marquee's and then hosting parties. One night, after work, they had a couple of drinks and decided to sleep it off in a couple of cars in a car park by the sports field where the marquee was sited, when an over-zealous inspector pounced. Black-eye friday, busiest night of the year, the processing coppers not very happy about the arrest but anyway, my son, who can't drive was released after 24 hours (Only after the inspector had tried to charge him with possession of a weapon - a stanley knife in his tool kit), the other lad was prosecuted and got a big fine and driving ban. I think, perhaps, if you are not in possession of the keys of the car and can't drive it you are ok, but get sounder advice then i can give and,if you meet an over-zealous copper, be prepared for a disturbed night's rest!
Morning campers on 08:12 - Nov 16 with 1008 viewsPhildo

Unfortunately if you have the keys you can be regarded as being in control of the vehicle so can get into difficulties. You would hope the police would show some common sense in a situation like that but never any guarantees.

On another note we bought one of those home breathalyser kits for about £30 on Amazon and it's amazing how many times in the morning you are over the limit when you think you are okay.
Morning campers on 08:26 - Nov 16 with 989 viewsstowmarketrange

Thanks for the replies.Most confirmed my suspicions that it’s a grey area.I’m reluctant to spend money on a proper camper van,so I was looking for a cheaper option.
I might have to do some more research before the summer comes.Cheers.
Morning campers on 09:17 - Nov 16 with 932 viewslightwaterhoop

Isnt the whole idea of a camper van that you sleep in it.I dont see how you could be charged for drink driving just for sleeping in something thats designed for that very purpose.
Login to get fewer ads

Morning campers on 10:22 - Nov 16 with 863 viewsPerthRs

A few years ago my mates headed to Bournemouth for the weekend in 3 cars with the intention of sleeping over in their cars, they parked up in one of the seaside carparks to sleep off a night session on the ale, before kipping down the drivers all swapped car keys this proved to be a wise move the Old Bill woke them all up at about 4am and preceded to nick the drivers for being drunk in charge of a vehicle with the intention of driving.
None of them argued and when the cops went to charge them at the nick they pointed out that none of them could drive the vehicles as none of them had the keys to their own cars.
It took about 4 or 5 hours to sort out but the cops could out charge them so they were released with a caution regarding being drunk in a public place.
Morning campers on 10:17 - Nov 17 with 580 viewsStanFan

It's crazy but I guess they have to remove the "I wasn't going to drive" defence or everyone would use it.
Going back to the OP, how about asking the landlord to hold onto the keys overnight? I'd expect many landlords would be ok with this if you spend the evening drinking there and perhaps pay a nominal fee for use of the car park overnight.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024