Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
keepers 20:04 - Nov 15 with 2144 viewsdigswellhoop

was clemence a better keeper than Shilton?

I think he was
keepers on 20:13 - Nov 15 with 1662 viewsloftboy

Clemence wouldn’t have been out jumped by Maradona thats for sure.
[Post edited 15 Nov 2020 20:13]

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

keepers on 20:14 - Nov 15 with 1655 viewsdigswellhoop

agreed
keepers on 20:15 - Nov 15 with 1649 viewsflynnbo

I’d opt for Shilton narrowly; he always seemed to play a blinder at LR.
keepers on 20:28 - Nov 15 with 1607 viewsjohann28

keepers on 20:15 - Nov 15 by flynnbo

I’d opt for Shilton narrowly; he always seemed to play a blinder at LR.

Clemence for me of the two. Always remember Shilton letting a very soft shot from Waddock under his body in a 4-0 drubbing at Loftus Rd, then blaming the pitch.

Phil Parkes at least as good as either. One England cap. Discuss.
keepers on 20:28 - Nov 15 with 1604 viewsWrightUp5hit___

Parksy was as good as, if not better, than both
keepers on 20:30 - Nov 15 with 1596 viewsdigswellhoop

that's whe we were blessed with top quality keepers not like now all average
keepers on 20:56 - Nov 15 with 1550 viewscaliforniahoop

keepers on 20:30 - Nov 15 by digswellhoop

that's whe we were blessed with top quality keepers not like now all average

Clemence, was better than Shilton, Parkes as good as both, a golden era for keepers add Rimmer, Corrigan then later on Woods
keepers on 21:04 - Nov 15 with 1538 viewsDannyPaddox

keepers on 20:28 - Nov 15 by johann28

Clemence for me of the two. Always remember Shilton letting a very soft shot from Waddock under his body in a 4-0 drubbing at Loftus Rd, then blaming the pitch.

Phil Parkes at least as good as either. One England cap. Discuss.

And our Phil kept a clean sheet!
[Post edited 15 Nov 2020 21:05]
Login to get fewer ads

keepers on 21:41 - Nov 15 with 1475 viewsQPRSteve

Phil for me, then Shilton. Clemence I thought was a bit dodgy with crosses. Always thought it was criminal that he was ahead of Parkes in the pecking order.
keepers on 21:43 - Nov 15 with 1463 viewsBoston

keepers on 21:04 - Nov 15 by DannyPaddox

And our Phil kept a clean sheet!
[Post edited 15 Nov 2020 21:05]

Unlike Shilton who was bedding 'em every night.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

keepers on 21:47 - Nov 15 with 1449 viewsMyke

Shilton was a much better keeper than Clemence. Clemence was protected by a superbly well organised defence and had the same back four in front of him for years. Shilton did not have that luxury, except possibly at Forest behind Burns'Lloyd.
Agree that Parkes was a top keeper as was Parks and Corrigan. Don't think Rimmer was a top keeper, certainly not in the same class as Wilson. Throw in the likes Of Jennings and there really was some quality keepers plying their trade at the time. None of them judged by their ability to fanny about with the ball in their own six yard box either.
keepers on 21:47 - Nov 15 with 1445 viewsBoston

Thought Shilton was marginally better than Clemence but...far preferred the Skegness man. Parkes deserved more, hard to judge him at an International level with only one appearance.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

keepers on 22:22 - Nov 15 with 1396 viewsSydneyRs

keepers on 20:13 - Nov 15 by loftboy

Clemence wouldn’t have been out jumped by Maradona thats for sure.
[Post edited 15 Nov 2020 20:13]

If Shilton was as racist then as he is on twitter these days, I'm surprised he didn't just put his fist through Maradona's head.
keepers on 22:40 - Nov 15 with 1363 viewsCamberleyR

Cloughie and even more so Peter Taylor (a former goalkeeper himself) knew that Shilton was the keeper that would take Forest to the next level when they got promoted in the late 70s. He'd been trying to sign him for years.

Forest had a great defence but Shilton was the difference to them winning the trophies they did in the late 70s/early 80s. Just a shame that England didn't have any really good keepers coming through in the mid 80s as he was certainly on the downslide in Mexico '86 and definitely was past it four years later.

Clemence, as people have said, did have the advantage of playing behind the consistently best defence in the second half of the 70s. He had good agility and did command his box well but you always felt he wasn't far away from a rick like when Dalglish put one through his legs at Hampden Park in 1976.

Phil Parkes though to me, especially from 74-77 was better than both of them. Superb keeper who didn't have a weakness anywhere. No more to be said.

I suppose it is reasonably well known that when England played Wales in Wrexham in March 1976 for a match to celebrate the Welsh FA's centenary, Don Revie allegedly had promised Phil the entire second half with Ray Clemence playing the first 45. Revie though reneged on this and Clemence played the entire match.

At full time PP apparently told Revie what he thought of him in no uncertain terms and that was that with him and England, certainly while Revie was in charge. Hence why not going on the USA summer tour a few months later to celebrate the bicentenary. When Greenwood took over, Clemence was always going to be his man as he would have picked the entire Liverpool team if was able to.
[Post edited 15 Nov 2020 22:45]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

keepers on 22:54 - Nov 15 with 1336 viewsted_hendrix

Please allow me to introduce our very own Ron and Peter Springett.

Ron Springett was capped by England 33 times whereas his brother Peter only played in goal for England youth.

I'll say this till the bloody cows come home but we've been blessed with keepers at our club.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

keepers on 08:33 - Nov 16 with 1196 viewsgazza1

Clemence came across as a proper decent person. Whether he was better than Shilton or vice versa is debatable, not much in either of them - both as good as each other. Sad end, his prostrate was the problem I think.

Ah, the Rangers keepers of the past.....plenty of them Frank Swift (never saw him play but my Dad said he was excellent), the Springett's were good, Parksy arguably better, there are a couple more but just cant recall their names.
keepers on 08:36 - Nov 16 with 1184 viewsstowmarketrange

keepers on 08:33 - Nov 16 by gazza1

Clemence came across as a proper decent person. Whether he was better than Shilton or vice versa is debatable, not much in either of them - both as good as each other. Sad end, his prostrate was the problem I think.

Ah, the Rangers keepers of the past.....plenty of them Frank Swift (never saw him play but my Dad said he was excellent), the Springett's were good, Parksy arguably better, there are a couple more but just cant recall their names.

Seaman wasn’t bad either.
keepers on 09:11 - Nov 16 with 1142 viewsgazza1

keepers on 10:00 - Nov 16 with 1122 viewsfrancisbowles

keepers on 08:33 - Nov 16 by gazza1

Frank Swift played for Manchester City and England. He played for a few clubs as a guest in the second world war but not Queens Park Rangers. He became a journalist after retiring in 1949 but was unfortunately onboard the plane which crashed at Munich in 1958 and he lost his life.
[Post edited 16 Nov 2020 11:38]
keepers on 10:24 - Nov 16 with 1092 viewsdavman

Great thread - what a time for 'keepers that was!

No mention of the number 3, Joe Corrigan, who was a pretty decent 'keeper too along with our Phil..

As digswell says above, a pretty different time now with 'keepers...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

keepers on 10:27 - Nov 16 with 1090 viewsterryb

RIP to Ray, but I'm obviously in the minotity! I wouldn't have placed Clemence in the top three English 'keepers of his era.

Shilton, Patkes & Corrigan were far better IMO & I could make a case for the other Parkes & Rimmer as being just as good.

I would have placed Parkes (ours) at the top, but I remember far too well Shilton's two performances at Loftus Road in the 73/74 season. The league match he played against us by himself in a 0-0 draw, but he did have Walters performing with him in the cup game!

That league match was the best display of goalkeeping that I've seen in my life.
keepers on 11:38 - Nov 16 with 1037 viewsfrancisbowles

keepers on 10:27 - Nov 16 by terryb

RIP to Ray, but I'm obviously in the minotity! I wouldn't have placed Clemence in the top three English 'keepers of his era.

Shilton, Patkes & Corrigan were far better IMO & I could make a case for the other Parkes & Rimmer as being just as good.

I would have placed Parkes (ours) at the top, but I remember far too well Shilton's two performances at Loftus Road in the 73/74 season. The league match he played against us by himself in a 0-0 draw, but he did have Walters performing with him in the cup game!

That league match was the best display of goalkeeping that I've seen in my life.

Yes, Terryb. That 0-0 has always stayed with me, undoubtedly the best 0-0 of all time. As you say the two keepers were absolutely tops and Gerry was magnificent as well.

I remember Ray as being an early inovator of the sweeper keeper routine. Liverpool had an excellent home record and spent large parts of the game attacking and almost every player was in the opposition half. Clemence would come rushing out of his area to clear any long ball for an opposition forward to chase onto.

It was a great era for goalkeepers that ran on and on after the war with the likes of Swift, Reg Allen, Harry Gegg, Ron Springett, Banks, Stepney, West, Jennings, Wilson and a lot more besides, all leading into the Parkes, Shilton, Clemence and Corrigan era. It seemed really surprising when we started getting foreign keepers in the football league. We had all been so used to our domestic keepers, apart from Yashin and maybe Trautman, being far and away the best on the planet.
keepers on 12:06 - Nov 16 with 1014 viewsMrSheen

Ray Clemence in action for England, sort of.

Featuring a goal from a beloved former coach and Alfie Conn with the largest hair in international football before Carlos Valderrama.
keepers on 12:21 - Nov 16 with 982 viewsCamberleyR

keepers on 12:06 - Nov 16 by MrSheen

Ray Clemence in action for England, sort of.

Featuring a goal from a beloved former coach and Alfie Conn with the largest hair in international football before Carlos Valderrama.

That game was probably the highpoint of the Revie era. A few months earlier we'd beaten reigning world champions West Germany 2-0 at Wembley. Started to go downhill rapidly after that mainly because Revie couldn't help himself in chopping and changing the team which had been the complete opposite of how he'd been at Leeds. The original tinkerman.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

keepers on 13:01 - Nov 16 with 942 viewsDannyPaddox

Paul Cooper of Ipswich was a curio. 5ft something but was the best penalty stopper. Saved 8 or 9 in one season. I believe he invented the jazz-hands technique of penalty-taker distraction.

Jazz-Hands & The Tractor Boys. The Wurzel's difficult third album.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024