Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Football/Sport without fans 16:06 - Feb 7 with 681 viewsPinnerPaul

We have had this discussion a few times, usually at the onset of a Covid 'peak'

Clearly, as can be seen from this forum, football, even in this 'sanitised', 'not quite right' form gives us all a lot of pleasure.

The same can clearly be said for my other favourite sport - (National Hunt) horseracing.

ITV's twitter feed etc full of people saying how grateful they are for the coverage.

So the question, without a 'right or 'wrong', is do you think, on balance, it HAS been right to continue with top level 'behind closed doors' sport?
[Post edited 7 Feb 2021 16:15]
Football/Sport without fans on 16:11 - Feb 7 with 660 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Yes, for the mental health of the general populace. Without sport at the weekends, I'd be climbing the walls, and most people I know are the same.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Football/Sport without fans on 16:12 - Feb 7 with 654 viewshantssi

Paul, I’ve really tried hard to engage in “live” sport but apart from us I really couldn’t be less interested.
Sport isn’t sport without fans in my (very) humble opinion.
So it’s a no from me but I get why they done it (apart from the money) it’s to give some people something to look forward to.
Football/Sport without fans on 16:14 - Feb 7 with 653 viewsWatford_Ranger

Yes. Genuinely can’t imagine how dull my free time would be right now without it. I simultaneously have never cared less about our results yet our matches have never been more the highlight of the week.

None of the sport has been as good as it would be, but whether it’s the darts, this week’s cricket, boxing in Barry Hearn’s garden or golf, it’s just been something.

Except rugby union. Think I’d rather be in Guantanamo Bay.
Football/Sport without fans on 16:24 - Feb 7 with 611 viewsMyke

This Brian. My elderly in-laws from south Galway are hurling mad and in recent years are embracing Gaelic football too ( but not that 'foreign' soccer nonsense - "half the time nobody even scores, what's the point?") On the dark winter evenings of November/December, the hurling and football championships kept them sane. Missing it badly since Christmas, but both being very close to nature and governed by the seasons, are just relieved that the days are getting longer.
Football/Sport without fans on 16:29 - Feb 7 with 592 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Football/Sport without fans on 16:24 - Feb 7 by Myke

This Brian. My elderly in-laws from south Galway are hurling mad and in recent years are embracing Gaelic football too ( but not that 'foreign' soccer nonsense - "half the time nobody even scores, what's the point?") On the dark winter evenings of November/December, the hurling and football championships kept them sane. Missing it badly since Christmas, but both being very close to nature and governed by the seasons, are just relieved that the days are getting longer.

Ya, my Ol' Fella is stuck to the rugby today, and he wouldn't know the shape of the ball.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Football/Sport without fans on 16:32 - Feb 7 with 573 viewslightwaterhoop

100% yes. T.V is not geared towards men over the age 18 so its been one of the few things to watch over the last year. It cant have been easy for the players either so a big thanks to them. The Cricket has been another saving grace as well.
Football/Sport without fans on 17:01 - Feb 7 with 517 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Football/Sport without fans on 16:11 - Feb 7 by BrianMcCarthy

Yes, for the mental health of the general populace. Without sport at the weekends, I'd be climbing the walls, and most people I know are the same.

Ditto. Whilst it's clearly not the same game without fans, continued coverage has helped folk keep it together during a very difficult period. We've also seen more matches televised on terrestrial channels, extending reach to those who can't afford to pay for subscription services.
Football/Sport without fans on 17:31 - Feb 7 with 491 viewsTGRRRSSS

Yes it's been the correct decision to keep going, how long it can continue like this is another matter but for now.

Yes.

I think without it general disobedience would have been far higher, possibly uncontrollable.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024