Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Happy St George’s Day 08:19 - Apr 23 with 5270 viewspaulparker

To everyone, As it’s a nice day il think il go for a long walk along the river and a pint of pride or bombardier for afters to toast is Englishmen

Btw Boris any chance of making this a bank holiday next year ?

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Happy St George’s Day on 16:21 - Apr 23 with 1419 viewsDiggertheMole

Happy St George’s Day on 15:15 - Apr 23 by BrianMcCarthy

And St. Patrick was Welsh!

And St George was Turkish. Real Patron Saint is St Thomas a Becket or maybe St Alban. So 29th December or June 22nd. Greatest Englishman - William Shakespeare - Happy Birthday (and Death day) Bill!
Happy St George’s Day on 17:10 - Apr 23 with 1350 viewsqpr_1968

Happy St George’s Day on 10:13 - Apr 23 by DWQPR

And for me I’ve clicked another year! And 10 years ago today many of us complete with a hole range Of inflatables travelled to the principality of Wales to watch St Adel of West London put the Welsh Dragon to the sword. They choked and we celebrated in the car park afterwards waiting to be released. And like today it was a gloriously warm sunny day.

Happy St George’s Day one and all!

what a fantastic away day that was.....since 1968, probably in my top ten of qpr away games.

happy st georges day.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Happy St George’s Day on 17:15 - Apr 23 with 1342 viewsMoonshineSteve

Happy St George’s Day on 16:21 - Apr 23 by DiggertheMole

And St George was Turkish. Real Patron Saint is St Thomas a Becket or maybe St Alban. So 29th December or June 22nd. Greatest Englishman - William Shakespeare - Happy Birthday (and Death day) Bill!

Before George it was St Edmund.

I am still Steve but no longer in Dagenham.

Happy St George’s Day on 17:21 - Apr 23 with 1315 viewsBucksRanger

Happy St George’s Day on 17:15 - Apr 23 by MoonshineSteve

St. Edmund is the patron saint of pandemics. We should have stuck with him.
Happy St George’s Day on 17:59 - Apr 23 with 1272 viewsRanger_Things

Happy St George’s Day on 17:15 - Apr 23 by MoonshineSteve

Happy St George’s Day on 19:42 - Apr 23 with 1182 viewsPunteR

Happy St George’s Day on 15:24 - Apr 23 by W13R

I blame the Turkish then as that's where St George was allegedly from.

I'll be getting a kebab tonight in honour of st George.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Happy St George’s Day on 19:43 - Apr 23 with 1183 viewsDiggertheMole

St Edmund died in A D 869 martyred by a bunch of Danes adopted by Alfred as a patron saint - nice idea to establish the saintliness of the monarchy! Edward III replaced him with a "warrior" saint in St George - Edward being somewhat partial to looting and pillaging in France. Throughout the medieval period St Thomas a Becket (martyred in 1170) enjoyed the greatest following and Canterbury was the foremost centre of pilgrimage in England. Chaucer - Edward III's contemporary celebrates a pilgrimage to Canterbury -the scene of Becket's murder in "The Canterbury Tales".Henry VIII could not tolerate the idea of a common (even if religious) figure enjoying Becket's cult status and destroyed his tomb in 1538 insisting that all mention of his name be obliterated. Obviously Henry didn't fancy the idea of a religious rebel being worshipped - especially as he was wiping out any dissident religious voices in his pursuit of any likely palace whore with whom he might sire an heir and with whom he could share his syphilis. Both Canterbury and St Albans cathedrals were desecrated (St Albans became a cathedral later) and the myth of St George was encouraged alongside Henry's self-image as "defender of the Faith" - it's far easier dealing with a myth than the idea of a saint who defied a king. In terms of seniority, St Alban is the earliest English christian martyr (A D 305) but being killed for sheltering a priest doesn't quite have the media pull of an imaginary knight bumping off a descendant of T-Rex. Patron saints were and have been the subject of fairly nonsensical political exploitation. No one should be ashamed of their Englishness - just aware of what aspect of Englishness is getting the front page. Me - I celebrate Shakespeare's birthday.
Happy St George’s Day on 19:47 - Apr 23 with 1175 viewsW13R

Happy St George’s Day on 19:42 - Apr 23 by PunteR

I'll be getting a kebab tonight in honour of st George.

''Chilli sauce my friend!''
Login to get fewer ads

Happy St George’s Day on 19:57 - Apr 23 with 1158 viewsPunteR

Happy St George’s Day on 19:47 - Apr 23 by W13R

''Chilli sauce my friend!''

"Garlic mayo and the HOT chilli sauce please mate"

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Happy St George’s Day on 20:28 - Apr 23 with 1126 viewsJigsore

you know who would have made St George's Day a bank holiday?

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Happy St George’s Day on 21:48 - Apr 23 with 1090 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I couldn't give a shit where he was from.

We first had the Cross of St George on our ships in the 12th Century we still do.
Thats 800+ years of history, so St George will do for me.

I've also cheerfully celebrated being English for many years and no one has (yet) to be offended by this, so maybe those who are offended are a tiny minority. Point being... Ignore them.
[Post edited 23 Apr 2021 21:50]

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Happy St George’s Day on 21:58 - Apr 23 with 1080 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Happy St George’s Day on 21:48 - Apr 23 by Metallica_Hoop

I couldn't give a shit where he was from.

We first had the Cross of St George on our ships in the 12th Century we still do.
Thats 800+ years of history, so St George will do for me.

I've also cheerfully celebrated being English for many years and no one has (yet) to be offended by this, so maybe those who are offended are a tiny minority. Point being... Ignore them.
[Post edited 23 Apr 2021 21:50]

I never knew that. What was the connection back in those days? Is that why the Royal Navy ensign still has it?
Happy St George’s Day on 22:03 - Apr 23 with 1074 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Happy St George’s Day on 21:58 - Apr 23 by BazzaInTheLoft

I never knew that. What was the connection back in those days? Is that why the Royal Navy ensign still has it?

From Wiki as I forgot (but did know) and had to look it up again.

'The St. George's flag, a red cross on a white field, was adopted by England and the City of London in 1190 for their ships entering the Mediterranean to benefit from the protection of the Genoese fleet. The English Monarch paid an annual tribute to the Doge of Genoa for this privilege.'

I'm not sure about the White Ensign. WW2 is my thing and British military history. This made for interesting reading as you mentioned it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Ensign
[Post edited 23 Apr 2021 22:12]

Happy St George’s Day on 22:11 - Apr 23 with 1060 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Happy St George’s Day on 22:03 - Apr 23 by Metallica_Hoop

From Wiki as I forgot (but did know) and had to look it up again.

'The St. George's flag, a red cross on a white field, was adopted by England and the City of London in 1190 for their ships entering the Mediterranean to benefit from the protection of the Genoese fleet. The English Monarch paid an annual tribute to the Doge of Genoa for this privilege.'

I'm not sure about the White Ensign. WW2 is my thing and British military history. This made for interesting reading as you mentioned it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Ensign
[Post edited 23 Apr 2021 22:12]

Come for the Frankie Knuckles, stay for the Maritime history 👍
Happy St George’s Day on 22:13 - Apr 23 with 1056 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Happy Sun Burn and Cider Headache day for me anyway 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Happy St George’s Day on 22:20 - Apr 23 with 1046 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Happy St George’s Day on 22:13 - Apr 23 by BazzaInTheLoft

Happy Sun Burn and Cider Headache day for me anyway 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

I sat by Temple Church today for two hours it was about 20+ with the heated stone behind me, so now I'm rehydrating

Happy St George’s Day on 22:37 - Apr 23 with 1041 viewsW13R

Happy St George’s Day on 19:57 - Apr 23 by PunteR

"Garlic mayo and the HOT chilli sauce please mate"

We definitely go to the same kebab shop!
Happy St George’s Day on 23:40 - Apr 23 with 998 viewsBrixtonR

Happy St George’s Day on 22:11 - Apr 23 by BazzaInTheLoft

Come for the Frankie Knuckles, stay for the Maritime history 👍

Nice One Mate

Happy St Georges Day Everyone.

Happy St George’s Day on 00:00 - Apr 24 with 971 viewsdezzar

There are so many reasons to be admire our country , but why do the people who want a St Georges day seem to think it has to be a show of military strength rather than a celebration of our amazing culture,art music etc , dont think the irish welsh scots do this.marching up and down in crusader costume etc is just embarrasing
Happy St George’s Day on 00:31 - Apr 24 with 947 viewsMetallica_Hoop

From one of our finest composers who died aged 35.

[Post edited 24 Apr 2021 0:33]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024