Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
2021 All-Irelands 09:11 - May 2 with 9201 viewsMrSheen

When do the crowds return, and will competition be delayed to wait for them?

Limerick and Dublin favourites again, I presume?
2021 All-Irelands on 21:02 - Aug 28 with 1494 viewsBrianMcCarthy

2021 All-Irelands on 20:56 - Aug 28 by Myke

Tremendous result for Tyrone. Incredible energy and stamina considering all they had been through/ Very disingenuous comments coming out of Kerry that Tyrone obviously didn't have covid as bad as they claimed - poor show.

Poor show, is right.

Losers make excuses.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

2021 All-Irelands on 23:59 - Aug 28 with 1418 viewsBrianMcCarthy

2021 All-Irelands on 18:18 - Aug 28 by MrSheen

Noooooo, they’ll be lucky to break 15 points total between them in the final.
[Post edited 28 Aug 2021 18:22]

I had a look into this, Sheener, as it piqued my interest.

The 4 Semi-Finalists had the following scoring records in their provinces:

Mayo 10-57 (average 29) - average province for scoring.
Kerry 8-63 (avg 29) - cakewalk this year.
Tyrone 1-52 (avg 20) - in the toughest province for scoring
Dublin 2-51 (avg 19) - usually a high-scoring province.

Plus, of course, Tyrone and Mayo outscored Kerry and Dublin in the Semi-Finals. Neither were cautious affairs.

The ultimate high-scoring Final would have been, as you rightly hint at, Mayo v Kerry - no sweepers, no Plus-1, Kerry's poor defence etc.

Still, though, even allowing that Finals are often slightly lower-scoring I could well imagine this Final meeting the average of the last five years - 37.

2021 All-Irelands on 01:12 - Aug 29 with 1391 viewslave16

2021 All-Irelands on 23:59 - Aug 28 by BrianMcCarthy

Plus, of course, Tyrone and Mayo outscored Kerry and Dublin in the Semi-Finals. Neither were cautious affairs.

The ultimate high-scoring Final would have been, as you rightly hint at, Mayo v Kerry - no sweepers, no Plus-1, Kerry's poor defence etc.

Still, though, even allowing that Finals are often slightly lower-scoring I could well imagine this Final meeting the average of the last five years - 37.

Don't think Mayo will walk the final... Tyrone seem a little bit different from previous year's.... Still up for taking black cards for the team though. Pat Spillane let mask slip on TV... sore loser... looking forward to the final...

Poll: Are we gonna make the play offs?

2021 All-Irelands on 01:44 - Aug 29 with 1371 viewsBrianMcCarthy

2021 All-Irelands on 01:12 - Aug 29 by lave16

Don't think Mayo will walk the final... Tyrone seem a little bit different from previous year's.... Still up for taking black cards for the team though. Pat Spillane let mask slip on TV... sore loser... looking forward to the final...

I agree it will most likely be close. Two teams who I really admire, doubtful that either would fold.

Spillane has never had a mask, the first GAA player to dive, the first to feign injury, a media lackey and a man who has no respect within the game. I muted him today as I always do, I'm amazed that RTE brought him back from his axing, sounds like he won't be seen again for a while.

2021 All-Irelands on 10:41 - Aug 29 with 1308 viewsMrSheen

2021 All-Irelands on 23:59 - Aug 28 by BrianMcCarthy

Thanks Brian. Poetic licence of course, and I take the point about Tyrone having the tougher qualification while Dublin get to bang in 6-28 against Carlow. The few times I see Tyrone they have everyone behind the ball, stands to reason scoring from there is a tall order. It wins them games but for me has made football duller at a time when hurling is spectacular.
2021 All-Irelands on 10:55 - Aug 29 with 1298 viewsBrianMcCarthy

2021 All-Irelands on 10:41 - Aug 29 by MrSheen

Thanks Brian. Poetic licence of course, and I take the point about Tyrone having the tougher qualification while Dublin get to bang in 6-28 against Carlow. The few times I see Tyrone they have everyone behind the ball, stands to reason scoring from there is a tall order. It wins them games but for me has made football duller at a time when hurling is spectacular.

I actually agree with you about Tyrone's style of football. As a Beara man, it's alien to me. I love Mayo's style, though - good defending allied with lightning speed in possession.

I'm just making the point that Dublin have been poor scorers in many recent Finals, too. And I really disliked their possession-based style this year.

2021 All-Irelands on 10:55 - Aug 29 with 1294 viewsWatfordR

2021 All-Irelands on 10:41 - Aug 29 by MrSheen

Annoyingly, last night's game was not available in the UK on GAAGO so I didn't see it. Looks like Brian was spot on about Kerry's back line, but I am a bit disappointed we won't see a Mayo-Kerry final for the reasons stated above.

Like Mr Sheen, I'd be a bit concerned with the idea of Tyrone actually winning the thing. There has been a move towards a more attractive brand of football in general over the last few years, and a win for Tyrone might reverse that, at a time as you say when hurling must be one of the most spectacular team sports to watch in the world right now. Other the mighty Hoops of course.
2021 All-Irelands on 23:58 - Aug 29 with 1239 viewsMyke

Still surprised your minor team lost so heavily to Tyrone Brian. The final was as I expected having listened to the Ulster final. I suppose Sligo can take solace from having being beaten by the winners. We haven't being able to say that too often at any level!
Login to get fewer ads

2021 All-Irelands on 09:46 - Aug 30 with 1190 viewsBrianMcCarthy

2021 All-Irelands on 23:58 - Aug 29 by Myke

Still surprised your minor team lost so heavily to Tyrone Brian. The final was as I expected having listened to the Ulster final. I suppose Sligo can take solace from having being beaten by the winners. We haven't being able to say that too often at any level!

It's Minor, Myke - form is rarely linear. Tyrone were poor on Saturday but created enough chances to win easily. However, they started shooting from crazy angles, from too far out (six dropped short - a common occurrence in Croke Park, especially for teams unused to its sight lines) and even trying outside-of-the boot nonsense). They really should have won.

We beat Meath earlier in the year but they're a good team. Happy for them.

2021 All-Irelands on 09:53 - Aug 30 with 1180 viewssprocket

2021 All-Irelands on 09:46 - Aug 30 by BrianMcCarthy

It's Minor, Myke - form is rarely linear. Tyrone were poor on Saturday but created enough chances to win easily. However, they started shooting from crazy angles, from too far out (six dropped short - a common occurrence in Croke Park, especially for teams unused to its sight lines) and even trying outside-of-the boot nonsense). They really should have won.

Shocked Tyrone beat Kerry. I had my house on a Kerry-Mayo final with Kerry to win. As a Dub and resident of Galway if Mayo mange to win Sam I'll have to go into hiding.
2021 All-Irelands on 09:54 - Aug 30 with 1179 viewsPaddyhoops

I see the music and entertainment industry in Ireland are rightly pissed off with the government in relation to 40,000 crowds at Croker.
Can't blame them really. One rule for the Gaa, another for everyone else.
2021 All-Irelands on 13:45 - Aug 30 with 1145 viewsMyke

2021 All-Irelands on 09:46 - Aug 30 by BrianMcCarthy

Actually that's a very good point, although the inconsistencies do tend to become less obvious as the players get older. I remember when my 2 were playing u12/u14 they won and lost games by 12/14 points often from week to week. I also agree that Croke Park is deceiving (not that I ever had the pleasure of playing there) for novice players, with it's sheer width and length. Don't agree that Tyrone should have won , Meath were stronger for 3 out of the 4 'quarters' (hate how that expression is becoming so commonplace)
2021 All-Irelands on 13:51 - Aug 30 with 1135 viewsBrianMcCarthy

2021 All-Irelands on 13:45 - Aug 30 by Myke

Actually that's a very good point, although the inconsistencies do tend to become less obvious as the players get older. I remember when my 2 were playing u12/u14 they won and lost games by 12/14 points often from week to week. I also agree that Croke Park is deceiving (not that I ever had the pleasure of playing there) for novice players, with it's sheer width and length. Don't agree that Tyrone should have won , Meath were stronger for 3 out of the 4 'quarters' (hate how that expression is becoming so commonplace)

Fair enough. I didn't mean to be disparaging to Meath, hope it didn't come across that way. ("they're very good at what they do, greatest respect in the world..." etc etc ;) )

The problem with Croke Park seems to be that players aren't used to huge stands and how they make the shot, particularly into the Canal End, seem shorter and easier than it is. A secondary problem is the swirling wind.

2021 All-Irelands on 17:48 - Sep 10 with 962 viewsWatfordR

So, what's the bigger obstacle to Mayo this weekend? Tyrone? Or The Curse?

Whilst that sounds a bit trite, what I mean is, if Mayo have a kick in the last minute of normal time to win it, or maybe even draw it, similar to the sort of kick they had in the semi-final, is it possible that old tale wouldn't be lurking in the back of the kicker's mind?

I think it's going to be close, and I've maybe come round to the idea of Tyrone springing a surprise. It wouldn't be the first time that a finalist has beaten the big bad monster in the semis and not turned up in the final. 2001 Meath-Galway springs painfully to mind.

Thoughts?
2021 All-Irelands on 18:16 - Sep 11 with 859 viewsBoston

2021 All-Irelands on 17:48 - Sep 10 by WatfordR

So, what's the bigger obstacle to Mayo this weekend? Tyrone? Or The Curse?

Whilst that sounds a bit trite, what I mean is, if Mayo have a kick in the last minute of normal time to win it, or maybe even draw it, similar to the sort of kick they had in the semi-final, is it possible that old tale wouldn't be lurking in the back of the kicker's mind?

I think it's going to be close, and I've maybe come round to the idea of Tyrone springing a surprise. It wouldn't be the first time that a finalist has beaten the big bad monster in the semis and not turned up in the final. 2001 Meath-Galway springs painfully to mind.

Thoughts?

That old codger.

$25 on your own tv here.

Young master Boston has brought drive in movies to Breaffy. He’s parked up a big truck and is using the side as a screen.
[Post edited 11 Sep 2021 18:18]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

2021 All-Irelands on 18:46 - Sep 11 with 847 viewsMrSheen

70 years and counting…
[Post edited 11 Sep 2021 18:48]
2021 All-Irelands on 19:56 - Sep 11 with 815 viewsPaddyhoops

2021 All-Irelands on 18:46 - Sep 11 by MrSheen

70 years and counting…

Mayo well beaten ...again. Too many wides as has been the story of 11 all Ireland defeats since 1989.
Tyrone well desereving of the victory.
Glad to say I watched at home in co Roscommon, Ireland on my dads 84th birthday. First time at home in 20 months.
Superhoops comeback made it more enjoyable.
2021 All-Irelands on 20:00 - Sep 11 with 808 viewsMyke

2021 All-Irelands on 19:56 - Sep 11 by Paddyhoops

Mayo well beaten ...again. Too many wides as has been the story of 11 all Ireland defeats since 1989.
Glad to say I watched at home in co Roscommon, Ireland on my dads 84th birthday. First time at home in 20 months.

Phew I can rest easy again for another year at least! Mayo failed all the big moments in the game . O' Shea non-existent
2021 All-Irelands on 21:53 - Sep 11 with 785 viewsBoston

Mayo, beaten by ...

2021 All-Irelands on 22:03 - Sep 11 with 782 viewsted_hendrix

Off to Camden town tomorrow, get together with some of the wife's relations--all from Mayo.

*Oh dear*

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

2021 All-Irelands on 23:45 - Sep 11 with 737 viewsMrSheen

2021 All-Irelands on 22:03 - Sep 11 by ted_hendrix

Off to Camden town tomorrow, get together with some of the wife's relations--all from Mayo.

*Oh dear*

Could have been worse, might have lost to Reading, Ted.
2021 All-Irelands on 01:42 - Sep 12 with 712 viewsBoston

2021 All-Irelands on 18:46 - Sep 11 by MrSheen

70 years and counting…

Mrs Boston is a Waterford woman, both her sisters married Mayo men…what a perfect combination when it comes to choking.

2021 All-Irelands on 02:04 - Sep 12 with 702 viewsqpr_1968

2021 All-Irelands on 19:56 - Sep 11 by Paddyhoops

well thats stopped a good session in balina, paddy macs to be precise.
always next year.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

2021 All-Irelands on 11:05 - Sep 12 with 635 viewsPaddyhoops

2021 All-Irelands on 01:44 - Aug 29 by BrianMcCarthy

I agree it will most likely be close. Two teams who I really admire, doubtful that either would fold.

Spillane has never had a mask, the first GAA player to dive, the first to feign injury, a media lackey and a man who has no respect within the game. I muted him today as I always do, I'm amazed that RTE brought him back from his axing, sounds like he won't be seen again for a while.

Your definitely from Cork, Brian.
No love lost for Kerry.
Spillane is the main box office pundit, now Chief troll , Brolly has gone.
Spillane was always a bit of a bell end and his shtick gets a bit tedious at times.
On the subject of Brolly he wrote a particularly nasty article about Mayo's deficiencies in the Independent this morning.
He has to remember these guys are still to some degrees amateurs who have family and friends who will be deeply hurt by some of his criticism.
I'm no fan of mayo but as usual ,Brolly is bang out of order.
2021 All-Irelands on 15:28 - Sep 12 with 600 viewsBoston

Moving on...All Ireland Road Bowling Championship 'cannoning' through Aughagower, Co Mayo today. Getting some text vids of ruddy faced portly gentlemen making friendly wagers.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024