Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Play Offs 09:52 - May 17 with 54780 viewsTomS

Surely the only team that can stop Brentford from getting promoted is Brentford. Looking at the form table, Wycombe have a better record in their final five matches than all of the other three clubs in the Play Offs, and they got relegated.

Momentum is everything in the Championship, can the serial chokers keep their composure this time around?
Play Offs on 14:02 - Jun 2 with 2810 viewsNewBee

Play Offs on 07:25 - Jun 2 by Northernr

Who are these smug Brentford fans he asks, as New Bee appears for the first time since the day before you lost to QPR to tell us all how it is.

"Smug"?

I didn't slag off QPR.

Nor did I "big up" BFC.

Nor will I gloat, since if we are the Top Dogs in the 'West London Triangle' for now, since we know as well as anyone else how quickly that can change (see Fulham, for example).

And if/when it does change, we also know to expect plenty of "incoming~" from QPR and Fulham fans, on here and elsewhere.

It's the way of the world.
Play Offs on 14:06 - Jun 2 with 2806 viewsNorthernr

Play Offs on 09:34 - Jun 2 by BazzaInTheLoft

Walcott here clearly teaching Spurs fans GCSE maths.

I think you'll find Bazza he's merely telling Tottenham fans there are two games left to play.
Play Offs on 14:13 - Jun 2 with 2753 viewsstowmarketrange

Play Offs on 14:02 - Jun 2 by NewBee

"Smug"?

I didn't slag off QPR.

Nor did I "big up" BFC.

Nor will I gloat, since if we are the Top Dogs in the 'West London Triangle' for now, since we know as well as anyone else how quickly that can change (see Fulham, for example).

And if/when it does change, we also know to expect plenty of "incoming~" from QPR and Fulham fans, on here and elsewhere.

It's the way of the world.

Well if does turn we know that you and your mate won’t be posting on here for a while.
Play Offs on 14:30 - Jun 2 with 2730 viewsMyke

Play Offs on 14:06 - Jun 2 by Northernr

I think you'll find Bazza he's merely telling Tottenham fans there are two games left to play.

Obviously. The two fingers on the right hand indicates that there are two games left to play. While the 'zero' on his left hand indicates how many games are left after the two games have been played. Frank was clearly trying to display the same message, just got a bit muddled up with how many fingers to hold up. We need to give him a break, after all, stats and figures may not be his strong suit.
Play Offs on 14:35 - Jun 2 with 2693 viewsNewBee

Play Offs on 14:13 - Jun 2 by stowmarketrange

Well if does turn we know that you and your mate won’t be posting on here for a while.

At which point you and your mates are at liberty to come onto a Brentford site and be "smug", too.

If we both live that long...
Play Offs on 14:41 - Jun 2 with 2687 viewsstowmarketrange

Play Offs on 14:35 - Jun 2 by NewBee

At which point you and your mates are at liberty to come onto a Brentford site and be "smug", too.

I’ve never felt the need to lurk on a rival teams site,so that isn’t going to happen,but I certainly wouldn’t disappear for 2 1/2 months after a bad result if I ever did get the urge.
Play Offs on 14:46 - Jun 2 with 2672 viewsParkRoyalR

With self-appointed super-fan Billy the Bell and his Red-Letter Away Day Escapades or the Lord and Saviour Peter Gilham doing his best John Terry impression......er, no thanks......still reckon you boys need to get Gilham DBS checked....a definite wrong'un!
Play Offs on 14:57 - Jun 2 with 2614 viewsNewBee

Play Offs on 14:41 - Jun 2 by stowmarketrange

I’ve never felt the need to lurk on a rival teams site,so that isn’t going to happen,but I certainly wouldn’t disappear for 2 1/2 months after a bad result if I ever did get the urge.

I still browsed from time to time, even if I stopped posting for a bit. I mean, what was I going to say?
"We were crap, and our promotion hopes aren't looking so rosy all of a sudden".
That much was pretty obvious, even without QPR fans pointing it out on here, as you were completely entitled to do.

Then again, neither did I come back when the team turned it round again after.

Nor have I come on here giving it the Big One when we finally went up, much less slagging off QPR. Rather when I read Clive's comparison of his predictions vs the final table, I thought that the 5:38 Prediction Table offered an interesting alternative take.

All else from me has been providing an alternative narrative about the Academy/'B'' Team and new stadium etc on a select few relevant threads.
Login to get fewer ads

Play Offs on 15:03 - Jun 2 with 2590 viewsNewBee

Play Offs on 14:46 - Jun 2 by ParkRoyalR

With self-appointed super-fan Billy the Bell and his Red-Letter Away Day Escapades or the Lord and Saviour Peter Gilham doing his best John Terry impression......er, no thanks......still reckon you boys need to get Gilham DBS checked....a definite wrong'un!

Peter doesn't post on the only Bees site I browse (GPG) and if Billy does, then I don't know his User Name.

Either way, you'll be safe enough, indeed welcome, to join our other visitors, like eg "VisitingR", who offers a refreshing perspective from W12.
Play Offs on 15:33 - Jun 2 with 2577 viewsParkRoyalR

Play Offs on 15:03 - Jun 2 by NewBee

Peter doesn't post on the only Bees site I browse (GPG) and if Billy does, then I don't know his User Name.

Either way, you'll be safe enough, indeed welcome, to join our other visitors, like eg "VisitingR", who offers a refreshing perspective from W12.

Thanks for the offer....but

Just can't help thinking I'd be like Father Ted in the caravan sketch looking at Father Noel with his fellow born-again's acting the ejit and thinking...where the feck am am I - this is not for me.

CIive, Brian, Konk and all the other boys on here are where it's at, as you and switching code well know.
Play Offs on 15:36 - Jun 2 with 2570 viewsdenhamhoop2

Sadly we aren't able to travel back in time to come on Griffin Park Grapevine being smug about how well run QPR were during the70s 80s and 90s where the buy low sell high ethos might well have been said to have been our thing ie Parkes from Walsall being sold for a World Record Fee could also add Andy Sinton to that list. The whole ethos of constantly selling your best player and using the money to sustain the club will only sadly ever take you so far.
What does worry me is QPR are trying to emulate a club that has consistently bought low and sold high yet has still needed their Sugar Daddy to pump in 120 million of his own money so it is quite clearly not a self sufficient business model.
Play Offs on 16:11 - Jun 2 with 2530 viewsMick_S

Play Offs on 14:30 - Jun 2 by Myke

Obviously. The two fingers on the right hand indicates that there are two games left to play. While the 'zero' on his left hand indicates how many games are left after the two games have been played. Frank was clearly trying to display the same message, just got a bit muddled up with how many fingers to hold up. We need to give him a break, after all, stats and figures may not be his strong suit.

It’s a wishbone and it’s bigger than a chicken...

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Play Offs on 16:22 - Jun 2 with 2492 viewsdaveB

I think my favorite thing about the weekend was Brentford during one of the greatest moments in their clubs history had their social media manager tweeting Charlie Austin and making jokes about QPR rather than enjoying the wonderful achievement. We live rent free in their heads and that won't be changing anytime soon
Play Offs on 16:39 - Jun 2 with 2466 viewsParkRoyalR

Play Offs on 16:22 - Jun 2 by daveB

I think my favorite thing about the weekend was Brentford during one of the greatest moments in their clubs history had their social media manager tweeting Charlie Austin and making jokes about QPR rather than enjoying the wonderful achievement. We live rent free in their heads and that won't be changing anytime soon

And he's ex-Chels, although being a fan for 8 years now apparently makes you a die-hard Bee! Just waiting for Phil Collins to convert next.
Play Offs on 18:46 - Jun 2 with 2369 viewsNewBee

Play Offs on 15:36 - Jun 2 by denhamhoop2

Sadly we aren't able to travel back in time to come on Griffin Park Grapevine being smug about how well run QPR were during the70s 80s and 90s where the buy low sell high ethos might well have been said to have been our thing ie Parkes from Walsall being sold for a World Record Fee could also add Andy Sinton to that list. The whole ethos of constantly selling your best player and using the money to sustain the club will only sadly ever take you so far.
What does worry me is QPR are trying to emulate a club that has consistently bought low and sold high yet has still needed their Sugar Daddy to pump in 120 million of his own money so it is quite clearly not a self sufficient business model.

Usually when clubs sell their best players, it's because it's essential just to "keep the lights on". Certainly that's been the case throughout BFC's entire history until very recently.

But since Benham took over, we've been able to keep back enough of the profits to be able to reinvest in the club. i.e. not just the team, but the people, systems, infrastucture etc.

Meaning that in the last decade or so, we've gone from being a bog-standard League One side, in serious danger of dropping to League Two or even non-League (like eg Orient), to being a solid Championship side.

And now we're having a go at reaching the next level again (PL). Of course there's no guarantee we'll stay there, but even if we come straight back down again, that will still have been 2 steps forward, 1 step back, which still represents progress in anyones book.

While if we can manage to stay there for a bit (strees the "if"), then we'll still be a selling club, like all but a handful in England, but we should be able to keep more of our better players, and for longer, before we eventually sell.

As for Benham's £120m, most of that has gone on allowable infrastructure, esp the (£90m?) stadium. And unless the property market suddenly crashes, he's on track to get most (all?) of that back when the 910 flats are sold and Griffin Park is redeveloped.

As for the remainder, Benham is one of the few owners who has scrupulously kept his spending within the £39m-over-3 years limit imposed by FFP, without resort to dodgy accounting, funny transfers or suspicious stadium sale-and-lease backs etc. That way he's been able to counter the parachute payments enjoyed by 8 or 9 clubs at any one time which so seriously skew the Championship's financial set-up.

While in the PL, the fairly even distribution of TV money means that the financial gap between the bottom and the top clubs is actually not so wide relatively speaking, as that between the parachute and the non-parachute clubs in the Championship (stress the "relatively").

Which has the club feeling that it need not be so difficult a task competing in the PL (Big Six aside) as in the Championship , for any club which is well run and is realistic about what it needs to do.

But we'll see. I personally am cautiously optimistic we'll do ok next season, but won't be too surprised or disappointed should we come straight back down.
[Post edited 2 Jun 2021 18:52]
(No subject) (n/t) on 19:10 - Jun 16 with 1860 viewsMick_S

Play Offs on 17:10 - May 29 by nix

Congratulations Switchingcode. What an amazingly feeling!

Jesus. I’ve confused myself with that one. Fat fingers, perhaps. Anyway, how are you all?
[Post edited 16 Jun 2021 19:15]

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Play Offs on 00:07 - Sep 7 with 1484 viewsNewBee

Play Offs on 16:19 - May 31 by daveB

Brentford Chairman was on Sky last night saying they should be doing the same as Leeds and finishing top 10.

Fans always say dumb stuff, I have no issue with that and imagine most Brentford are a lot more realistic but for the club chairman to be doing that I thought it was a little bit daft
[Post edited 31 May 2021 16:22]

Only just noticed this post now.

Was Benham predicting that we would finish 10th? Or that that was what we should be aiming for?

I'd be surprised if it were the former, much more likely to be the latter (imo).

Remember, this is a guy who has become a multi multi millionaire by his use of statistical analysis of sports, including as a professional gambler.

Which includes understanding that no matter how confident you are about such things, they are never guaranteed.

I'm reasonably hopeful myself (13th or 14th perhaps?), but if you offered me 17th on GD, I'd bite your hand off for it.

Maybe even my own hand!

EDIT: Just noticed/re-read my own post from 02 June a couople of posts up. Am pleased - and relieved - on how things have gone since then (transfer window, opening few games, new stadium etc)
[Post edited 7 Sep 2021 0:11]
Play Offs on 09:41 - Sep 7 with 1222 viewsdaveB

Play Offs on 00:07 - Sep 7 by NewBee

Only just noticed this post now.

Was Benham predicting that we would finish 10th? Or that that was what we should be aiming for?

I'd be surprised if it were the former, much more likely to be the latter (imo).

Remember, this is a guy who has become a multi multi millionaire by his use of statistical analysis of sports, including as a professional gambler.

Which includes understanding that no matter how confident you are about such things, they are never guaranteed.

I'm reasonably hopeful myself (13th or 14th perhaps?), but if you offered me 17th on GD, I'd bite your hand off for it.

Maybe even my own hand!

EDIT: Just noticed/re-read my own post from 02 June a couople of posts up. Am pleased - and relieved - on how things have gone since then (transfer window, opening few games, new stadium etc)
[Post edited 7 Sep 2021 0:11]

It wasn't Benham from memory, think his first name was Cliff. He said you would be finishing in the top 10, it just came across as very arrogant and lacking any sort of humility,
Play Offs on 15:46 - Sep 7 with 1064 viewsdenhamhoop2

Play Offs on 09:41 - Sep 7 by daveB

It wasn't Benham from memory, think his first name was Cliff. He said you would be finishing in the top 10, it just came across as very arrogant and lacking any sort of humility,

Probably the same sort of Bees fan that before the Arsenal game confidently predicted 30 + Goals for Toney(Maybe Tongue in Cheek but didn't appear to be) Still when you are so new to football and do truly believe it was invented in 1992 then not a lot of experience to base your opinions upon
Play Offs on 16:42 - Sep 7 with 1022 viewsGaryBannisterswedge

Play Offs on 15:46 - Sep 7 by denhamhoop2

Probably the same sort of Bees fan that before the Arsenal game confidently predicted 30 + Goals for Toney(Maybe Tongue in Cheek but didn't appear to be) Still when you are so new to football and do truly believe it was invented in 1992 then not a lot of experience to base your opinions upon

Let’s stop giving the little Hounslow club any more airtime, they genuinely wa*k themselves silly when are mentioned by Rangers fans on any platform fuelling the ridiculous notion they are rivals. Let’s go about our business quietly and efficiently and see how we get on. For the record I don’t have a problem with SC and NBee posting here as I see it as a hat tip to an excellent forum
Play Offs on 17:05 - Sep 7 with 1004 viewsNewBee

Play Offs on 09:41 - Sep 7 by daveB

Ah right. That will have been Cliff Crown, a business associate of Benham's who he appointed to be club Chairman.

Dunno what he's like as a Businessman, but he's not a football man and more generally he seems to be a bit of a dick, though harmless nonetheless.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2021 17:14]
Play Offs on 17:13 - Sep 7 with 986 viewsNewBee

Play Offs on 16:42 - Sep 7 by GaryBannisterswedge

Let’s stop giving the little Hounslow club any more airtime, they genuinely wa*k themselves silly when are mentioned by Rangers fans on any platform fuelling the ridiculous notion they are rivals. Let’s go about our business quietly and efficiently and see how we get on. For the record I don’t have a problem with SC and NBee posting here as I see it as a hat tip to an excellent forum

Tbh, if any Bees fan was tempted to tug on his todger over football, it would be over events on the field in GP or the BCS, not anything QPR-related.

Meanwhile, whether "rivals" or not, this Bees fan certainly hasn't forgotten where we've come from, incl keeping an occasional eye on our old friends in the Championship, esp when they're doing well and may have a chance of joining us again (assuming we don't get relegated ourselves).

While this is indeed an excellent forum, which is why it's one of only 2 or 3 I really bother with outside of Brentford's.
Play Offs on 20:27 - Sep 7 with 918 viewsJuzzie

I live in TW2 and took my near 7 year old son for his first football training session last Saturday.

He was dead easy to spot in the crowd of kids as he was the only one with a QPR top

There were the usual smattering of Barcelona, Liverpool, Chelsea, AC Milan, Juventus etc tops (no Arsenal ones, can’t think why..) but what was good to see was plenty of youngsters in Brentford tops. I’ve lived ihe area for nearly 8 years and there’s alway been good representation of kids in Brentford shirts. I like that, support your local club.

I did get a few wry comments but it was all good humoured and lots of positive chatting about Brentford being in the PL and QPR’s good start to the season leading on from our great 2nd half of last season.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024