Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Play Offs 09:52 - May 17 with 55457 viewsTomS

Surely the only team that can stop Brentford from getting promoted is Brentford. Looking at the form table, Wycombe have a better record in their final five matches than all of the other three clubs in the Play Offs, and they got relegated.

Momentum is everything in the Championship, can the serial chokers keep their composure this time around?
Play Offs on 13:21 - May 31 with 2296 viewsNorthernr

Apart from another club in our vicinity moving ahead of us (which is dire news when we’re talking about attracting young players and fans) Brentford getting promoted in the way they have is good news for us because it’s shown you can trade your way out of this. That’s our only hope, and why we’re now miraculously getting better despite the supposedly best players leaving. It’s why any decent offer for Dieng should be taken. Selling at the right time when the price is right is success, not failure or lack of ambition. There seems to be a growing consensus that it’s the same 3 up and down and you’re fcked without parachutes but it’s not true, Brentford we’re better than Watford and Bournemouth for me, and Norwich are a special case as they’d specifically planned to go up down and up again. We can do this, we can. Selling Eze and spending some of the money on Dykes, Willock, Dickie, hopefully Thomas still, is a really positive step for us.

They are bloody smug with it though, and that attitude holds them back. They should have been second this year, but they wobbled and drew a load of games abs instead of assessing why that was happening Frank just came out with stuff like “effectively it was a 3-1 win”. Even before the Bournemouth semi final he’s going round the pitch pre game holding up three fingers telling everybody they’re going to win 3-0 - first thing that happens, they put all ten in the box at a corner and concede on the counter.

I hate the smugness, I hate the sky coverage, I’m not a fan of franks “I’m 100% certain we’re going to win”, and I hate that another local club has gone past us, but I love what they’ve done and it gives me great hope that our model can work if we keep faith in it. Not sacking Warburton for Sherwood at Christmas last year a big positive step for us.
Play Offs on 14:14 - May 31 with 2189 viewsfrancisbowles

Play Offs on 13:21 - May 31 by Northernr

Apart from another club in our vicinity moving ahead of us (which is dire news when we’re talking about attracting young players and fans) Brentford getting promoted in the way they have is good news for us because it’s shown you can trade your way out of this. That’s our only hope, and why we’re now miraculously getting better despite the supposedly best players leaving. It’s why any decent offer for Dieng should be taken. Selling at the right time when the price is right is success, not failure or lack of ambition. There seems to be a growing consensus that it’s the same 3 up and down and you’re fcked without parachutes but it’s not true, Brentford we’re better than Watford and Bournemouth for me, and Norwich are a special case as they’d specifically planned to go up down and up again. We can do this, we can. Selling Eze and spending some of the money on Dykes, Willock, Dickie, hopefully Thomas still, is a really positive step for us.

They are bloody smug with it though, and that attitude holds them back. They should have been second this year, but they wobbled and drew a load of games abs instead of assessing why that was happening Frank just came out with stuff like “effectively it was a 3-1 win”. Even before the Bournemouth semi final he’s going round the pitch pre game holding up three fingers telling everybody they’re going to win 3-0 - first thing that happens, they put all ten in the box at a corner and concede on the counter.

I hate the smugness, I hate the sky coverage, I’m not a fan of franks “I’m 100% certain we’re going to win”, and I hate that another local club has gone past us, but I love what they’ve done and it gives me great hope that our model can work if we keep faith in it. Not sacking Warburton for Sherwood at Christmas last year a big positive step for us.

Thanks Northernr. After the weekend we had, I feel better after reading that.
Play Offs on 14:33 - May 31 with 2168 viewsMick_S

I didn’t know that Thomas Frank behaved like that before the Bournemouth match. No point calling him names, but, deary me, show some class.

Again - well done Sc. Well done and about time, but he really needs to have a look at himself.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Play Offs on 14:37 - May 31 with 2157 viewsNorthernr

Play Offs on 14:33 - May 31 by Mick_S

I didn’t know that Thomas Frank behaved like that before the Bournemouth match. No point calling him names, but, deary me, show some class.

Again - well done Sc. Well done and about time, but he really needs to have a look at himself.

Why do that? Other than being a bit of a dick.
Play Offs on 16:18 - May 31 with 2067 viewsdaveB

Play Offs on 10:43 - May 31 by BazzaInTheLoft

Totally agree, but let’s not forget the ‘Champions League in Five Years’ comments!

Oh yeah we were toss pots when the money came in but I don't think anyone took that seriously did they
Play Offs on 16:19 - May 31 with 2061 viewsdaveB

Play Offs on 12:10 - May 31 by switchingcode

Who was saying all that ?I was at Wembley then Chiswick from 10am to 11 pm with loads of fans never heard any of that.If pisses me off when a tiny minority of fans are quoted as that’s the norm.
Have a look at your site next door there is some embarrassing posts on there that I’m sure you wouldn’t want to be associated with.

Brentford Chairman was on Sky last night saying they should be doing the same as Leeds and finishing top 10.

Fans always say dumb stuff, I have no issue with that and imagine most Brentford are a lot more realistic but for the club chairman to be doing that I thought it was a little bit daft
[Post edited 31 May 2021 16:22]
Play Offs on 16:25 - May 31 with 2032 viewsdaveB

Play Offs on 11:21 - May 31 by Rangersw12

Don't see why not considering they've allowed fans for Play Offs, Champions League and the Euros

I'd agree it should happen but get the feeling we will only have home fans for the first few games
Play Offs on 16:40 - May 31 with 1993 viewsswitchingcode

Play Offs on 14:37 - May 31 by Northernr

Why do that? Other than being a bit of a dick.

He wasn’t doing that at all why do people take clips and put 2 +2 and make 5.I was there as he walked around the pitch he was signalling 2 games to go the poxy sky bloke said he was predicting the score.Listen to his full interview he says “I’ve just told the players we have 2 big games to go “
I hope you do well next season and if you are I’ll see how you and your fans react you can’t control the media fawning all over you.I can understand Clive’s dislike as he’s jealous that Thomas has hair
but come on.
Login to get fewer ads

Play Offs on 16:50 - May 31 with 1980 viewssprocket

Play Offs on 16:40 - May 31 by switchingcode

He wasn’t doing that at all why do people take clips and put 2 +2 and make 5.I was there as he walked around the pitch he was signalling 2 games to go the poxy sky bloke said he was predicting the score.Listen to his full interview he says “I’ve just told the players we have 2 big games to go “
I hope you do well next season and if you are I’ll see how you and your fans react you can’t control the media fawning all over you.I can understand Clive’s dislike as he’s jealous that Thomas has hair
but come on.

TF does himself no favours. Watch pointing during Bournemouth match was cringeworthy and stopped as soon as they went 3-1 up.

Gone by Christmas is my prediction. Brentford to stay up though.
Play Offs on 17:24 - May 31 with 1925 viewsdenhamhoop2

Awful refereeing today giving Morecambe a penalty for a half dive half challenge outside the area when he turned down Newport in the first half when keeper punched the Newport skipper coming for a cross
Play Offs on 17:29 - May 31 with 1915 viewsswitchingcode

Who are these smug people ?do you mean me?apart from the now boring bees up Fulham down chant our fans after the game were just having a great time also singing the bus stop song .You ought to have a look at your clubs other site christ I know it doesn’t have much traffic but must house all your rejects from this site that’s an embarrassment.
When you talk about following our so called model I can’t see it as you still have an expensive academy and a manager who left us because he didn’t agree with our strategy that’s a fact and we stopped the loan route that he liked after he left.We also had at the time a much smaller fan base so selling your best players every season is not popular with all your fans but there was little resistance or noise.It’s also taken us 8 years and 4 managers in saying all that he could just as easily get you up the Warburton way and I hope you do along with Fulham as long as we mange to stay up of course.I think next season a good tournament for Dykes and a young striker alongside is a better option than the ageing expensive Austin who will have no resale value and lucky to get 30 games out of apart from Stoke (loads of money) can’t see any stand out teams next
season.
Play Offs on 18:04 - May 31 with 1855 viewsParkRoyalR

Play Offs on 12:46 - May 31 by MrSheen

I had my second vaccine in the community centre of the estate at the bottom of South Ealing Road on Saturday morning. Queuing up outside I overheard a couple of old boys on a bench, chatting about going to Wembley later - well into their 80s!

Fair play to Brentford, they have embedded themselves in the local community better than we have, despite decades of struggle - maybe because there's less turnover of residents than in a more central place like Shepherds Bush. You'd hardly know there was a football team in W12 other than a match day, that's not the case in South Ealing and Brentford.

I think the same could be said when I lived off the South Ealing Road in the late 90's, you wouldn't know a match was on unless you were well south of the station,

They did put alot of work into the Community but probably undid that over-night when closing their Academy without too much empathy for the young lads who had committed so much time to training and playing for it,

I think Hoos is right in that unfortunately fans now days are very much motivated by success and Brentford have had 8 good years with the last 5 of those coinciding with no success for Arsenal and United, hence what was once a lot of peoples 2nd team now becomes their 1st, be it due to their recent success or affordability.

Also think traditional working class support in Inner West London areas like W12, W10 etc is no longer there, hence why you see more Fulham shirts in the leafy streets off Goldhawk Road and Top 4 shirts in White City estate, Latimer Road etc.

Clubs like Arsenal, Chelsea, Fulham, Watford and Brentford will continue to draw support from our traditional catchment areas unless we can put together a winning team, which I think Warburton can.
Play Offs on 18:08 - May 31 with 1849 viewsSK_hoops

Play Offs on 17:29 - May 31 by switchingcode

Who are these smug people ?do you mean me?apart from the now boring bees up Fulham down chant our fans after the game were just having a great time also singing the bus stop song .You ought to have a look at your clubs other site christ I know it doesn’t have much traffic but must house all your rejects from this site that’s an embarrassment.
When you talk about following our so called model I can’t see it as you still have an expensive academy and a manager who left us because he didn’t agree with our strategy that’s a fact and we stopped the loan route that he liked after he left.We also had at the time a much smaller fan base so selling your best players every season is not popular with all your fans but there was little resistance or noise.It’s also taken us 8 years and 4 managers in saying all that he could just as easily get you up the Warburton way and I hope you do along with Fulham as long as we mange to stay up of course.I think next season a good tournament for Dykes and a young striker alongside is a better option than the ageing expensive Austin who will have no resale value and lucky to get 30 games out of apart from Stoke (loads of money) can’t see any stand out teams next
season.

nvm
[Post edited 31 May 2021 18:18]
Play Offs on 18:18 - May 31 with 1810 viewsdenhamhoop2

season.

I think the smugness is by a lot of the newer fans that post on Facebook oh and your manager Herr Frank and a few of the players. Might also include a chairman/owner who has stated he expects to be Top 10 like Leeds(Must be tongue in cheek unless he is totally deluded) . As for having an expensive academy is it much difference than a Development squad in terms of outlay am quite shocked that Brentford actually have more goalkeepers than QPR which takes some doing.
Then throw in lots of new fans who have known nothing but success for Brentford let's see what happens if this rollercoaster dips down for a bit.
Still think it was mad to have a shiny new stadium that holds less than 20k
As for resale value there is more to football than making money but then I am a football romantic and was brought up on QPR teams where Venables McLintock and Wilkins played a massive part in using their experience
Play Offs on 19:08 - May 31 with 1729 viewsHunterhoop

season.

Strange post.

I think Clive is being quite conciliatory and positive about your approach.

You seem to think it’s wildly different from what Ferdinand and Hoos have been building fit a few years because we still have an academy (for now), but I’m really not sure it is. Warburton was with you and left, but perhaps he’s come around to a data driven approach? People do change and evolve.

But whether the difference in approach is big or small, it’s subjective.

When someone gives an opinion that Brentford were smug and went about their season with an inherent smugness, you react one of two ways: take on board the feedback and reflect on it, or reject it. But rejecting it, in itself, belies arrogance; fundamentally you’re saying Clive, me, thousands of others are wrong for thinking Brentford fans were smug, because you, individually, weren’t and it was only a minority...in your opinion. So back to subjectivity. You can’t simply dismiss Clive’s opinion as wrong. It’s his feeling. You can’t own that. Listen to it. Or ignore it. But if you choose the latter, be aware you’re simply ignoring it not dispelling it.
Play Offs on 19:32 - May 31 with 1663 viewsstevec

Smugness; excessive pride in ones self or achievements.

To be fair, if you’ve got back to the top division for the first time since the 1940’s I’d forgive anyone an element of smugness.
Play Offs on 19:32 - May 31 with 1661 viewsstowmarketrange

Play Offs on 19:08 - May 31 by Hunterhoop

Strange post.

I think Clive is being quite conciliatory and positive about your approach.

You seem to think it’s wildly different from what Ferdinand and Hoos have been building fit a few years because we still have an academy (for now), but I’m really not sure it is. Warburton was with you and left, but perhaps he’s come around to a data driven approach? People do change and evolve.

But whether the difference in approach is big or small, it’s subjective.

When someone gives an opinion that Brentford were smug and went about their season with an inherent smugness, you react one of two ways: take on board the feedback and reflect on it, or reject it. But rejecting it, in itself, belies arrogance; fundamentally you’re saying Clive, me, thousands of others are wrong for thinking Brentford fans were smug, because you, individually, weren’t and it was only a minority...in your opinion. So back to subjectivity. You can’t simply dismiss Clive’s opinion as wrong. It’s his feeling. You can’t own that. Listen to it. Or ignore it. But if you choose the latter, be aware you’re simply ignoring it not dispelling it.

And to think that Audrey was one defeat away from the sack when he was first appointed.
Play Offs on 19:37 - May 31 with 1652 viewsMetallica_Hoop

All the Brentford fans I know are good eggs so I'm glad for them.

When we played Plymouth away on boxing day years ago when they were in League one me and my mum went to see Brentford vs Wycombe (it was 4-3) I've done plymouth away, never again I got back on Sunday

Anyway the only one singing near us happened to be behind us and realised we were Rangers and started singing 'we hate QPR, We hate QPR' once he realised we were Rangers fans.

No one else said a word, we laughed so did he as I recall and watched a entertaining game of football.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Play Offs on 19:55 - May 31 with 1590 viewsNorthernr

season.

No absoluely don't mean you, I hoped that was clear, I value your input on here. I mean Frank, one or two of the players, and one or two of your more high profile fans.

I would suggest the Warburton way has changed a bit, partly because of regrets he has over how it ended at Brentford.
Play Offs on 20:18 - May 31 with 1517 viewsBostonR

season.

How about staying off the board until Xmas and when you are safe from relegation, scoring freely and have crowds locked out of the Lego stadium come back as smug as you like. You’ll deserve it after 74 years - just make a note of that 74 fecking years!
Play Offs on 20:24 - May 31 with 1486 viewsBucksRanger

Play Offs on 20:18 - May 31 by BostonR

How about staying off the board until Xmas and when you are safe from relegation, scoring freely and have crowds locked out of the Lego stadium come back as smug as you like. You’ll deserve it after 74 years - just make a note of that 74 fecking years!

74 years ago my uncle was playing for Brentford. If there is an afterlife I hope it has a celestial internet and that my uncle has been enjoying every minute of Brentford's season.
Play Offs on 21:48 - May 31 with 1392 viewsKonk

season.

Think you’ve got the wrong end of the stick there, mate. We still get stick for ‘Man Utd of the south’ even though there wasn’t a single Fulham fan who did anything other than cringe at that (same with the Jackson statue). Don’t take it personally. You’ve been good as gold, but there’s definitely been a bit of cockiness amongst some of your more high profile social media fans (Billy Grant being a good example) which has made it that little bit more enjoyable watching you fu ck it up in recent years.

You deserve your promotion and I hope you and all the people you’ve been going with forever have some great experiences along the way (and then get relegated, obviously!)

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Play Offs on 23:11 - May 31 with 1286 viewsWegerles_Stairs

I'd love to be wrong but I don't think we are the same as them. Their model is driven by a highly intelligent owner (and fan) taking what he has learnt from his business life and implementing that throughout the club. Brentford would not be where they are now without the analytics (as much as we take the piss out of them) and number crunchers.

Our owners have never shown the same level of dedication to our club. They are not boyhood QPR fans and do not have an emotional attachment to us like Benham has to Brentford. They've frequently shown that they make decisions based on flogging their businesses rather than for the good of the club - can you imagine Brentford signing a player because he might sell some shirts in South Korea? Or planning the location of a new stadium on how many flats they can sell? It's laughable.

Our chairman is only in the job because of who his father-in-law is. The appointment of someone like (Chelsea fan) Jamie Reuben to the board encapsulates the problem. Why was he there? He doesn't have any love for the club and departed as soon as he got a better offer, yet he was on the board making decisions about the club's future. Again, I can't see Benham letting some random billionaire have input into how the club was run.

Sadly, until we have someone as intelligent and committed as Benham I think we're kidding ourselves about the future. Yes, we had a decent second half of the season but the poor quality of the teams above us (bar Brentford) shows that finishing eighth is no guarantee of anything.
[Post edited 31 May 2021 23:22]
Play Offs on 23:16 - May 31 with 1267 views0hwestlondon

Coming from the London Borough of Hounslow, when I am out and about walking my dog the people wearing Brentford colours are usually middle age, people who have supported Brentford all their lives, not seen loads of young kids wearing bees colours, I think round here they have always had good support.

It's just now with them being successful I see more people showing their support for the bees. Where as before they seemed to stay in the shadows. It's the same with Arsenal, there are loads of gooners in the area, dont see them at the moment as they are not doing so well, if they win the league again I'm sure they will resurface. But on Rangers, we still have decent support in the area too. When I wear my beanie hat in the winter, plenty of Rangers fans stop to have a chat.

Swings and roundabouts is what is. And I have managed to convert, my mates son supporterd Chel$ea until he was 14, took him to Rangers, now he loves us, he is 19 now and getting his first season ticket for next season. Also I dont think the club are passive in the community, they are just up against many London clubs who play Premier league football so it's not easy. You have to remember back in the 60s 70s 80s and Upton the mid 90s we spent many years as a small but progressive club, and had many years as a top flight club so it was easier to be relevant. Let's hope we can achieve that again.
Play Offs on 23:39 - May 31 with 1212 views0hwestlondon

Play Offs on 10:11 - May 17 by switchingcode

Thanks but not confident why would I be after 9 previous failures was hoping we would Nick 6 th spot and be underdogs but we got third and bookies favourites.Last season we went into the play offs after run of poor results this time we are unbeaten in 12 with 6 wins 6 draws so we have some momentum.Good news for me is i will make my first visit to the new stadium for the second leg Saturday and catch up with my mates who I haven’t seen for ages really looking forward to that even if we are 3 down from first leg.

Good luck next season. I live in the borough of Hounslow, been to a few Bees matches down the years. Used to go with a mate who is a Bees nut. And he would come to Rangers with me, we have done home and away with both clubs. I stopped going when the anti QPR feeling became strong with all the we hate QPR songs, Bees fans only used to sing about those posh boys from SW whatever it is, and Birmingham. But I always looked for your results and hoped you would get promoted. So enjoy, you deserve to be where you are, I'll always have a soft spot for Brentford, my mate has one for us, though he keeps that to himself for obvious reasons these days Haha.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024