Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Roy of The Rovers 14:12 - May 28 with 4883 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Did we all read it?

'The Safest Hands in Soccer' was my favourite strip. Gordon was the business and might well be the reason I became a goalie. Sometimes they'd put him up front for corners and the clown would forget where he was and catch the ball, but generally he was as cool as ice.

'Billy's Boots' was nonsense.
Billy was a useless fcuker, to be fair.
He was shite at football, found these priceless boots that made him brilliant, but would still lose the boots almost every single shagging week.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Roy of The Rovers on 18:32 - May 28 with 1530 viewsVancouverHoop

Roy of The Rovers on 18:29 - May 28 by Addinall

Showing my age here. The comics in my day were mostly in text. Wizard,Rover,Hotspur and Adventure. Can remember Limp along Leslie and Napper Todd. Only team I remember was Ironside Rovers. I remember the teams from different titles playing each other.

Got Adventure for several years. Loved 'Blockbuster Brown, M.A.' the teacher at a public school who moonlighted as an all-in wrestler
Roy of The Rovers on 18:38 - May 28 with 1523 viewsVancouverHoop

Believe it or not I bought issue #1 of Tiger at the newsagent in our village, I was five years old. Not only did it have RoR on the cover it had a cardboard tiger head with a string at the back and a packet of rosin. If you put the rosin on your fingers and dragged the string through them it made the tiger ROAAAR! ... sort of.
Roy of The Rovers on 18:40 - May 28 with 1515 viewsMick_S

Roy of The Rovers on 18:32 - May 28 by VancouverHoop

Got Adventure for several years. Loved 'Blockbuster Brown, M.A.' the teacher at a public school who moonlighted as an all-in wrestler

I don’t like the sound of that.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Roy of The Rovers on 18:48 - May 28 with 1504 viewsMick_S

6 foot 10 and from one of the Hebrides Islands.

Looks familiar!

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Roy of The Rovers on 19:52 - May 28 with 1451 viewsDiggertheMole

If my memory has not totally failed me there was a storyline where "Nipper Lawrence" disillusioned with his professional career, leaves football and gets a proper job. He is, of course, grabbed for the works team who are playing QPR next week. Turns out QPR are "Quality Pies and Rissoles" - a name with a certain resonance.
Roy of The Rovers on 20:08 - May 28 with 1440 viewsdenhamhoop2

Massive fan of Roy of the Rovers remember Hard Man whose team had an overseas manager Victor Boskovic Mighty Mouse was as wide as he was tall and a trainee doctor as well as star winger. Would say Geoff Giles was Melchester Rovers unsung hero and just imagine how many goals Racey would've scored if he had been the penalty taker rather than Duncan McKay
Roy of The Rovers on 20:09 - May 28 with 1435 viewsMetallica_Hoop

A couple of times.
The only comic I remember getting into as a kid was 'Warlord'

I did however have the game on the Atari ST.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Roy of The Rovers on 22:15 - May 28 with 1362 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Roy of The Rovers on 18:27 - May 28 by Myke

Used to love RotR. Every Saturday that comic (which are now called 'graphic magazines- which always makes me feel uneasy) and a packet of silvermints was my 'pocket- money' in the late 60's early 70'

Silvermints!!!

Jesus, I'd forgotten them.

Login to get fewer ads

Roy of The Rovers on 22:19 - May 28 with 1352 viewsMyke

Roy of The Rovers on 22:15 - May 28 by BrianMcCarthy

Silvermints!!!

Jesus, I'd forgotten them.

How could you forget the 'cool clean hero'!! Still going strong today
Roy of The Rovers on 22:50 - May 28 with 1329 viewsDWQPR

Roy of The Rovers on 22:19 - May 28 by Myke

How could you forget the 'cool clean hero'!! Still going strong today

Dad owned the newsagents on the corner of Thorpebank Road and Dunraven back in the 70’s and 80’s and Roy of the Rovers was always put aside for me each Saturday. The one story that was total bow locks was Millionaire Villa about a story of some rich bloke buying a club about to go bust but with the proviso that he would then play in the team. Glad Flavio’s overinflated ego never reached such heights!

And sweets? Packet of either orange or cola spangles!

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Roy of The Rovers on 01:27 - May 29 with 1274 viewsBoston

Roy of The Rovers on 22:50 - May 28 by DWQPR

Dad owned the newsagents on the corner of Thorpebank Road and Dunraven back in the 70’s and 80’s and Roy of the Rovers was always put aside for me each Saturday. The one story that was total bow locks was Millionaire Villa about a story of some rich bloke buying a club about to go bust but with the proviso that he would then play in the team. Glad Flavio’s overinflated ego never reached such heights!

And sweets? Packet of either orange or cola spangles!

Did that shop become residential housing?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Roy of The Rovers on 06:57 - May 29 with 1215 viewsDWQPR

Roy of The Rovers on 01:27 - May 29 by Boston

Did that shop become residential housing?

Converted back in 1996. Builders done a good job of it with the windows and the stone work fitting in with the rest of the street. The original look can be found on YouTube if you search for the Monty Python Ministry of Funny Walks when John Cleese walks out of it. Suffered a devastating fire in August 1986 when someone (who we think we know who but was never charged) decided it would be funny to set fire to the Sunday morning papers that had been stacked in the doorway when the were delivered. The frame of the doorway was wood and hardboard and behind the right side in the shop was where we used to stack the crisps. As one of the firemen said damping down, we might as we have had petrol stacked there.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Roy of The Rovers on 09:24 - May 29 with 1177 viewsAntti_Heinola

Roy of The Rovers on 15:15 - May 28 by BrianMcCarthy

Hmmm.... I may have been harsh on Billy, so.

also, i think in later eps it was proved that they weren't magic. They just gave Billy belief in himself.

Bare bones.

Roy of The Rovers on 09:25 - May 29 with 1177 viewsthemodfather

yes read roy of the rovers, but later preferred a comic called "scoop" they had a story of "leiper the keeper" taking his team thru 4th div to div 1 and into the england team....and a computer based football league, but london teams were grouped, ie south london and manchester teams were joined etc...
Roy of The Rovers on 11:51 - May 29 with 1150 viewszizoustainrod

Roy of The Rovers on 09:25 - May 29 by themodfather

yes read roy of the rovers, but later preferred a comic called "scoop" they had a story of "leiper the keeper" taking his team thru 4th div to div 1 and into the england team....and a computer based football league, but london teams were grouped, ie south london and manchester teams were joined etc...

Gees, I remember that too! Loved Scoop, Roy of the Rovers, and SHOOT! as I was growing up. That league was lots of fun with Thames Southern, North London, Southcoast City, Manchester Town - can't remember the others. Composite sides from the different parts of the UK. Eastern Town was Aberdeen, Dundee United, etc.
Roy of The Rovers on 12:00 - May 29 with 1144 viewsHamptonR

Safest Hands in Soccer was a favourite of mine, I used to give call myself that when I was giving it large in the playground.

Also Cast iron Bill and This Goalies Got Guts, ring bells but they may have been one off tales.
Roy of The Rovers on 12:15 - May 29 with 1133 viewshantssi

Anybody remember the American cowboy who inherited a cricket team, came over and ended up playing for them?
Roy of The Rovers on 15:18 - May 29 with 1093 viewsTGRRRSSS

Fatty from BAsh Street Kids to be known as Freddie from now on.
Roy of The Rovers on 17:23 - May 29 with 1051 viewsThaiHoop

I was actually IN it!! They used to have a thing where you called a number (which was probably horrendously expensive) and left a message for your favourite player.

I did that and a few weeks later I got a letter saying my message would be printed in the comic together with a cheque for £5 (which was a princely sum for 10 or 11 year old ThaiHoop I in the early 80's!).

Unfortunately they spelt my surname wrong in the comic but looking back that's a good thing as to my eternal shame my favourite player was Kenny Dalglish!! 😳
Roy of The Rovers on 22:54 - May 29 with 942 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Roy of The Rovers on 09:25 - May 29 by themodfather

Scoop was great - Jon Stark the mercenary striker was in it too.

Loads of old British comics here: https://britishcomics.wordpress.com/
Roy of The Rovers on 08:32 - May 30 with 905 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Roy of The Rovers on 22:54 - May 29 by Wegerles_Stairs

Scoop was great - Jon Stark the mercenary striker was in it too.

Loads of old British comics here: https://britishcomics.wordpress.com/

Jon Stark - £250 a goal.

What a memory!

Roy of The Rovers on 08:49 - May 30 with 889 viewsdistortR

Roy of The Rovers on 11:51 - May 29 by zizoustainrod

Gees, I remember that too! Loved Scoop, Roy of the Rovers, and SHOOT! as I was growing up. That league was lots of fun with Thames Southern, North London, Southcoast City, Manchester Town - can't remember the others. Composite sides from the different parts of the UK. Eastern Town was Aberdeen, Dundee United, etc.

that football league! seem to remember we were held back by having to include chelsea, fulham and brentford players.

the comic seems to have run from '78 - '81
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024