Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
National anthems. 20:07 - Jun 11 with 7253 viewsSnipper

Just having a conversation with my sister about national anthems after listening to the Turkish and Italian anthems. We both agreed that England shouldn’t have God save the Queen, as it’s the British anthem. When we play Scotland next Friday, we’ll have the British anthem and The flower of Scotland.

We should have Land of hope and Glory. I remember that was England’s anthem at the 2002 Commonwealth Games in Manchester. It was very rousing when the whole stadium joined in.
National anthems. on 20:12 - Jun 11 with 3467 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Let’s start a petition to get Pigbag ratified as the national anthem.

Otherwise the best National anthem is the Russian.
[Post edited 11 Jun 2021 20:21]
National anthems. on 20:17 - Jun 11 with 3453 viewsaston_hoop

We should go full Uruguay really or else

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

National anthems. on 20:21 - Jun 11 with 3420 viewsBucksRanger

How about this?

National anthems. on 20:24 - Jun 11 with 3423 viewscolinallcars

Land of Hope & Glory for me. It started as part of the Coronation Ode and then as one of the Pomp & Circumstance marches.
I don't think Elgar was too keen on the words added and of course, today's woke people aren't keen. It is however a glorious tune especially with the organ to the fore in the final passage.
[Post edited 11 Jun 2021 21:31]
National anthems. on 20:27 - Jun 11 with 3418 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

National anthems. on 20:24 - Jun 11 by colinallcars

Land of Hope & Glory for me. It started as part of the Coronation Ode and then as one of the Pomp & Circumstance marches.
I don't think Elgar was too keen on the words added and of course, today's woke people aren't keen. It is however a glorious tune especially with the organ to the fore in the final passage.
[Post edited 11 Jun 2021 21:31]

Elgar was a secretly gay manic depressive Catholic.

I doubt he would mind some wokeness if he was around nowadays.
National anthems. on 21:08 - Jun 11 with 3295 viewsMrSheen

National anthems. on 20:27 - Jun 11 by BazzaInTheLoft

So secretly gay, he had no idea himself. Not at all secretly Catholic. Big Wolves fan though.
National anthems. on 21:35 - Jun 11 with 3230 viewscolinallcars

National anthems. on 20:27 - Jun 11 by BazzaInTheLoft

When I was suffering from Covid before Christmas I kept my upper lip stiff by listening to Elgar. Before he came along, Britain was known as “the land without music” by Europeans.
National anthems. on 21:49 - Jun 11 with 3187 viewsdistortR

i like god save the queen, a fine national anthem, if only they would use the right one

Login to get fewer ads

National anthems. on 21:50 - Jun 11 with 3183 viewsBrianMcCarthy

National anthems. on 21:35 - Jun 11 by colinallcars

When I was suffering from Covid before Christmas I kept my upper lip stiff by listening to Elgar. Before he came along, Britain was known as “the land without music” by Europeans.

"Before he came along, Britain was known as “the land without music” by Europeans."

Interesting. Never knew that, Col.

And in my lifetime Britain has been a deep well of superb music.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

National anthems. on 22:00 - Jun 11 with 3155 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

It's beautiful.

I also never knew that.
National anthems. on 22:10 - Jun 11 with 3131 viewsdistortR

National anthems. on 22:00 - Jun 11 by BazzaInTheLoft

It's beautiful.

I also never knew that.

we are now known as 'the land without music' by the eurovision song contest.
National anthems. on 22:10 - Jun 11 with 3130 viewsMrSheen

National anthems. on 22:00 - Jun 11 by BazzaInTheLoft

It's beautiful.

I also never knew that.

Yes, the Germans in particular called us Die Land ohne Musik. They also call us Inselaffen, island apes, which is quite funny.

About the same time Elgar emerged you had Sibelius breaking through in (Russian) Finland, Dvorak and Smetana in what was then Bohemia, Nielsen in Denmark…
National anthems. on 22:20 - Jun 11 with 3103 viewscolinallcars

National anthems. on 22:10 - Jun 11 by MrSheen

Yes, the Germans in particular called us Die Land ohne Musik. They also call us Inselaffen, island apes, which is quite funny.

About the same time Elgar emerged you had Sibelius breaking through in (Russian) Finland, Dvorak and Smetana in what was then Bohemia, Nielsen in Denmark…

It's strange, there was a two hundred year gap between the likes of Purcell and Byrd and Elgar and Parry. We had authors, poets and artists in plenty but little music apart from folk music and that would have been more prolific in Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
As Brian said, Britain became a leading nation in music throughout the 20th century.
National anthems. on 22:24 - Jun 11 with 3079 viewsMrSheen

National anthems. on 22:20 - Jun 11 by colinallcars

It's strange, there was a two hundred year gap between the likes of Purcell and Byrd and Elgar and Parry. We had authors, poets and artists in plenty but little music apart from folk music and that would have been more prolific in Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
As Brian said, Britain became a leading nation in music throughout the 20th century.

Like the Premier League, ready to import your Handels and Haydns, no space for local kids.
National anthems. on 22:31 - Jun 11 with 3058 viewsBoston

Saturday Night’s All Right For Fighting...Elgar John.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

National anthems. on 22:32 - Jun 11 with 3057 viewscolinallcars

National anthems. on 22:24 - Jun 11 by MrSheen

Like the Premier League, ready to import your Handels and Haydns, no space for local kids.

Blimey perhaps we should start a classical music thread ! Can't see it getting as many posts as Frankie Friday though.
National anthems. on 22:47 - Jun 11 with 3024 viewsBoston

National anthems. on 22:32 - Jun 11 by colinallcars

Blimey perhaps we should start a classical music thread ! Can't see it getting as many posts as Frankie Friday though.

Once we get onto Brahms and Liszt it’ll just turn into another drunken ranting thread.
[Post edited 11 Jun 2021 22:49]

National anthems. on 22:53 - Jun 11 with 3004 viewscolinallcars

National anthems. on 22:47 - Jun 11 by Boston

Once we get onto Brahms and Liszt it’ll just turn into another drunken ranting thread.
[Post edited 11 Jun 2021 22:49]

And now, for the £32,000 question, which member of a 70s rock group went on to become a classical composer and is reckoned to be the most-performed living classical composer ?
National anthems. on 22:54 - Jun 11 with 2992 viewsBucksRanger

National anthems. on 22:53 - Jun 11 by colinallcars

And now, for the £32,000 question, which member of a 70s rock group went on to become a classical composer and is reckoned to be the most-performed living classical composer ?

That bloke from The Police.
National anthems. on 22:59 - Jun 11 with 2977 viewscolinallcars

National anthems. on 22:54 - Jun 11 by BucksRanger

That bloke from The Police.

Nah…..
National anthems. on 23:15 - Jun 11 with 2951 viewsLythamR

Johnny "Sky" Williams
National anthems. on 23:32 - Jun 11 with 2924 viewsMrSheen

Hans Zimmer was in Buggles.
National anthems. on 23:36 - Jun 11 with 2915 viewsaston_hoop

Why I appreciate the answer isn't Danny Elfman, thanks for reminding me of this gem

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

National anthems. on 23:36 - Jun 11 with 2913 viewsBoston

Rick Wakeman?
[Post edited 11 Jun 2021 23:37]

National anthems. on 23:39 - Jun 11 with 2906 viewsBoston

...or the bloke from The Wombles, Mike Batt?
[Post edited 11 Jun 2021 23:40]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024