Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wales Turkey 17:27 - Jun 16 with 6508 viewsWatfordR

Enjoyed watching all of this so far.

Apart from the Welsh kit!
Wales Turkey on 09:28 - Jun 18 with 1636 viewsfrancisbowles

Wales Turkey on 18:32 - Jun 17 by Northernr

I think the offside thing is going to be rendered irrlevent over the next 18 months, they've already been quietly trialling an automatic offside system in the premier league for a while. I hate the way it is now, where the flag stays down and we play out a hypothetical situation just to see, but I'm not sure I see a way around it if you're going to use VAR. Yet another reason I hate it.

I'd be very interested in an explanation for why it seems so much quicker, smoother and less intrusive in this tournament, with far, far fewer fck ups and controversy, than it is in the Premier League. I can just about live with what I've seen here.

What's an automatic offside system?
Wales Turkey on 09:35 - Jun 18 with 1618 viewsCamberleyR

Wales Turkey on 18:32 - Jun 17 by Northernr

I think the offside thing is going to be rendered irrlevent over the next 18 months, they've already been quietly trialling an automatic offside system in the premier league for a while. I hate the way it is now, where the flag stays down and we play out a hypothetical situation just to see, but I'm not sure I see a way around it if you're going to use VAR. Yet another reason I hate it.

I'd be very interested in an explanation for why it seems so much quicker, smoother and less intrusive in this tournament, with far, far fewer fck ups and controversy, than it is in the Premier League. I can just about live with what I've seen here.

I'm sure I heard somewhere that they have several VARs, one looking only at offsides, one for handballs, fouls etc and this is why they can get the decision quicker rather than the eternity of faffing about that happens in the PL. Don't know if PinnerPaul knows for sure?
[Post edited 18 Jun 2021 9:36]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Wales Turkey on 09:40 - Jun 18 with 1593 viewsNorthernr

Wales Turkey on 09:28 - Jun 18 by francisbowles

What's an automatic offside system?

Taken out of the hands of the assistant referee, computer judges it and lets the referee know, like the goal line stuff.
Wales Turkey on 09:54 - Jun 18 with 1556 viewsfrancisbowles

Wales Turkey on 09:40 - Jun 18 by Northernr

Taken out of the hands of the assistant referee, computer judges it and lets the referee know, like the goal line stuff.

Well with one exception the goal line tech has worked really well. Be interesting to watch this but we could end up with more and even smaller fractional decisions.

Personally, I'd rather they changed the rule to clear daylight and then trial stuff around that.
Wales Turkey on 14:45 - Jun 18 with 1496 viewsPinnerPaul

Wales Turkey on 09:35 - Jun 18 by CamberleyR

I'm sure I heard somewhere that they have several VARs, one looking only at offsides, one for handballs, fouls etc and this is why they can get the decision quicker rather than the eternity of faffing about that happens in the PL. Don't know if PinnerPaul knows for sure?
[Post edited 18 Jun 2021 9:36]

Don't know, will try to find out. See above for my theories on why VAR seems less intrusive so far. Offside - yes read about 'automatic offside system - not sure how that monitors EXACTLY when the pass is made, or how it differentiates between offside parts of the body (leg) v arms for example, but we'll see. Apparently VAR will be using thicker lines as next season and images of offside decisions will not be immediately available to crowds/media - how that's going to help I'm not sure.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2021 14:47]
Wales Turkey on 14:57 - Jun 18 with 1476 viewsPhildo

Wales Turkey on 14:45 - Jun 18 by PinnerPaul

Don't know, will try to find out. See above for my theories on why VAR seems less intrusive so far. Offside - yes read about 'automatic offside system - not sure how that monitors EXACTLY when the pass is made, or how it differentiates between offside parts of the body (leg) v arms for example, but we'll see. Apparently VAR will be using thicker lines as next season and images of offside decisions will not be immediately available to crowds/media - how that's going to help I'm not sure.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2021 14:47]

They have a dedicated VAR for offside which the prem does not but I do not think that alone explains how it seems to be less intrusive even allowing for the rule tinkering
Wales Turkey on 10:22 - Jun 19 with 1433 viewsPinnerPaul

Wales Turkey on 14:57 - Jun 18 by Phildo

They have a dedicated VAR for offside which the prem does not but I do not think that alone explains how it seems to be less intrusive even allowing for the rule tinkering

No, but as I said above think there is a higher or should that be lower threshold for getting involved.

See Sterling 'penalty claim' yesterday - yes Scotland player stood on his toe, but in real life did anyone see it? Major error? Penalty even after seeing it in slow mo? Any need for VAR to get involved? A big resounding NO! to all those questions, yet I wouldn't mind guessing that in the PL, VAR would have 'encouraged' the ref to give a pen.

VAR didn't even check it Sam Matterface said.
Wales Turkey on 10:38 - Jun 19 with 1392 viewsfrancisbowles

Well VAR raised it's ugly head in the Croatia v Czech Republic match. Lovren goes up for a high ball which is going over his head, so he tries to jump and get his head to it and uses his arms for leverage. Shick comes in behind him also raises his arms for leverage and his head collides with Lovren's arm, giving him a nasty bloody nose. Lovren never once looks behind him, eyes focused on the ball. Referee does nothing, game continues but then VAR tells ref to look at it.

Ref goes to monitor and then agrees with VAR and awards a penalty and yellow card. He then delays the game, while Shick receives treatment. After a cursory glance at the blood flow decides to allow him back on and Shick eventually smacks the penalty in with blood flowing down his top lip.

No one on BBC thinks it's a pen and Lineker thinks it's an 'absurdity'.
Login to get fewer ads

Wales Turkey on 10:55 - Jun 19 with 1374 viewsPinnerPaul

Wales Turkey on 10:38 - Jun 19 by francisbowles

Well VAR raised it's ugly head in the Croatia v Czech Republic match. Lovren goes up for a high ball which is going over his head, so he tries to jump and get his head to it and uses his arms for leverage. Shick comes in behind him also raises his arms for leverage and his head collides with Lovren's arm, giving him a nasty bloody nose. Lovren never once looks behind him, eyes focused on the ball. Referee does nothing, game continues but then VAR tells ref to look at it.

Ref goes to monitor and then agrees with VAR and awards a penalty and yellow card. He then delays the game, while Shick receives treatment. After a cursory glance at the blood flow decides to allow him back on and Shick eventually smacks the penalty in with blood flowing down his top lip.

No one on BBC thinks it's a pen and Lineker thinks it's an 'absurdity'.

VAR can only recommend, if the referee himself thought it WAS an 'absurdity' he didn't have to give it.

On a side note, if a player is injured, as here, and he is the penalty taker, he is allowed to take the pen. Not sure about the blood though - didn't see it myself.
Wales Turkey on 12:55 - Jun 19 with 1348 viewsfrancisbowles

Wales Turkey on 10:55 - Jun 19 by PinnerPaul

VAR can only recommend, if the referee himself thought it WAS an 'absurdity' he didn't have to give it.

On a side note, if a player is injured, as here, and he is the penalty taker, he is allowed to take the pen. Not sure about the blood though - didn't see it myself.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51197596

Have a look Pinner, see what you think. It's about 30 seconds in on a 2:47 mins clip.
Wales Turkey on 08:22 - Jun 20 with 1245 viewsPinnerPaul

Wales Turkey on 12:55 - Jun 19 by francisbowles

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51197596

Have a look Pinner, see what you think. It's about 30 seconds in on a 2:47 mins clip.

Can see why VAR recommended he had a look at it.

I wouldn't say the blood was 'flowing' , there is some there, but we're talking common sense here aren't we - we wouldn't be impressed if Lyndon was told he couldn't take a penalty for that amount of blood showing.

As above, does annoy me when the BBC strap line is "....after VAR awarded a penalty" - apart from offside VAR doesn't award anything, ref goes to monitor and HE decides.
Wales Turkey on 09:15 - Jun 20 with 1206 viewsBazzeR

The Italy manager Roberto Mancini in his press conference compares the Welsh team to Stoke City.

Gareth Bale replied ‘I didn’t know we were that good’
Wales Turkey on 10:02 - Jun 20 with 1175 viewsfrancisbowles

Wales Turkey on 08:22 - Jun 20 by PinnerPaul

Can see why VAR recommended he had a look at it.

I wouldn't say the blood was 'flowing' , there is some there, but we're talking common sense here aren't we - we wouldn't be impressed if Lyndon was told he couldn't take a penalty for that amount of blood showing.

As above, does annoy me when the BBC strap line is "....after VAR awarded a penalty" - apart from offside VAR doesn't award anything, ref goes to monitor and HE decides.

Yes but do you think it was a pen?

As for blood, I thought that was a complete no since HIV etc were found to be transmissible through infected blood. Didn't realise that common sense was allowed in that .
Wales Turkey on 17:36 - Jun 20 with 1120 viewsPinnerPaul

Wales Turkey on 10:02 - Jun 20 by francisbowles

Yes but do you think it was a pen?

As for blood, I thought that was a complete no since HIV etc were found to be transmissible through infected blood. Didn't realise that common sense was allowed in that .

Ohhh the pressure - in real life I, like the ref presumably, would have found it difficult to spot, but yes if I was VAR, would have asked ref to have a look.

RefChat is 50/50 so its a difficult one to argue categorically either way.

I presume the blood didn't get worse after that, so he was allowed to continue?

Therefore have to assume the bleeding had stopped and he wiped away or had wiped away any that was a problem.
Wales Turkey on 08:37 - Jun 21 with 1012 viewsfrancisbowles

Wales Turkey on 17:36 - Jun 20 by PinnerPaul

Ohhh the pressure - in real life I, like the ref presumably, would have found it difficult to spot, but yes if I was VAR, would have asked ref to have a look.

RefChat is 50/50 so its a difficult one to argue categorically either way.

I presume the blood didn't get worse after that, so he was allowed to continue?

Therefore have to assume the bleeding had stopped and he wiped away or had wiped away any that was a problem.

Thanks Pinner, didn't mean to add to your stress
Wales Turkey on 09:26 - Jun 21 with 972 viewsPinnerPaul

Wales Turkey on 08:37 - Jun 21 by francisbowles

Thanks Pinner, didn't mean to add to your stress

Pretty chilled as it happens, less stressful arguing about 'neutral' refereeing decisions, easier than the QPR ones!

Did two Cup Finals as 4th official on Saturday - that's a lot easier than the middle or line as well!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024