Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Great Article on Raheem Sterling 07:21 - Jul 9 with 2750 viewsLeedsR

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/articles/raheem-sterling-england-it-was-all-a-

Hope this link works (and that I’m allowed to do this!).

Fascinating article by Sterling on his upbringing and formative years, in his words. Rangers get a good mention as a big part of his progression, but it’s his mum and his sister that have been the really positive role models for him. He comes across as down to earth in the way he regards his mum through gratitude, respect and love.

Well worth a read.
Great Article on Raheem Sterling on 09:47 - Jul 9 with 2635 viewsTeddRanger

Thanks LeedsR

I had seen the quote about the 3 buses but it was great to read the whole article.
Great Article on Raheem Sterling on 09:57 - Jul 9 with 2617 viewsBklynRanger

Nicely written article, thanks.

Great plug for our youth system too: 'She convinced me to go to QPR, and it was probably the best decision I ever made. At QPR, they didn’t let me slip up.'

Can't beat that.
Great Article on Raheem Sterling on 10:18 - Jul 9 with 2585 viewsdaveB

That was superb, for all the noise about pampered footballers etc the vast majority start this way with family making huge sacrifices to help them
Great Article on Raheem Sterling on 10:23 - Jul 9 with 2570 viewsnix

Thanks for posting this.

Great article.

What is says to me though is that everyone needs a strong mentor in their lives.

Raheem had at least two: his mum, who sounds like a towering role model and a fantastic person, and Clive Ellington. How amazing as a small boy to have someone who both takes you to snooker and asks you what you want in life. And his mum having to leave her small children to go and study abroad, and support herself by cleaning toilets. What a woman.
Great Article on Raheem Sterling on 10:26 - Jul 9 with 2560 viewsPhildo

Heres another

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jul/09/the-day-a-pre-teen-raheem-sterl
Great Article on Raheem Sterling on 10:34 - Jul 9 with 2539 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Beautiful story.
Thanks a million for posting, Leeds.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Great Article on Raheem Sterling on 12:12 - Jul 9 with 2427 viewskensalriser

Player of the tournament so far, for me. I may be slightly biased as a former Wembley boy myself.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Great Article on Raheem Sterling on 12:30 - Jul 9 with 2403 views80s_Boy

Great article.

I took a bit of a disliking to him because of the way he responded to some criticism he was subjected to by fans in Basle in 2014 and he came across as a primadonna who had had too much smoke blown up his backside, and the gun tattoo, at the time, made him seem, to me, as a typical 'uneducated' footballer.

However, the manner in which he explained the tattoo and articles/interviews similar to this since have opened my eyes. What a great Mum + Sister he had and what a positive inspiration he is.
[Post edited 9 Jul 2021 12:36]
Login to get fewer ads

Great Article on Raheem Sterling on 12:33 - Jul 9 with 2396 viewsstowmarketrange

A good article and I think his mum made the right decision.It’s a bit much to say the big teams like Arsenal and Fulham though.
I think a lot of kids see the bright lights at the top teams ,but don’t realise how much harder it is to make a career there.
He probably did the best by moving to liverpool to develop his career better than he could’ve done here,even though it didn’t seem like the right choice for us at the time.
Just a shame that they didn’t pay the proper price for him,but we aren’t the only club to get ripped off over a young player.

Best of luck to him for Sunday and the rest of his career.I hope we get to see him back at loftus road one day,but some idiots will probably spend the 90 mins booing him anyway.
Great Article on Raheem Sterling on 12:36 - Jul 9 with 2385 viewsGloryHunter

In this piece, Joe Gallen says we got £10 million for Raheem. Can that be correct?
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jul/09/the-day-a-pre-teen-raheem-sterl
Great Article on Raheem Sterling on 12:36 - Jul 9 with 2383 viewsMatch82

Great Article on Raheem Sterling on 12:33 - Jul 9 by stowmarketrange

A good article and I think his mum made the right decision.It’s a bit much to say the big teams like Arsenal and Fulham though.
I think a lot of kids see the bright lights at the top teams ,but don’t realise how much harder it is to make a career there.
He probably did the best by moving to liverpool to develop his career better than he could’ve done here,even though it didn’t seem like the right choice for us at the time.
Just a shame that they didn’t pay the proper price for him,but we aren’t the only club to get ripped off over a young player.

Best of luck to him for Sunday and the rest of his career.I hope we get to see him back at loftus road one day,but some idiots will probably spend the 90 mins booing him anyway.

To be fair we probably got our money's worth in the end. May not have negotiated an amazing up front fee, but maximum credit to whoever negotiated that sell on clause...
Great Article on Raheem Sterling on 12:38 - Jul 9 with 2378 viewsstowmarketrange

Great Article on Raheem Sterling on 12:36 - Jul 9 by Match82

To be fair we probably got our money's worth in the end. May not have negotiated an amazing up front fee, but maximum credit to whoever negotiated that sell on clause...

Very true mate,but it felt a rip off at the time.
Great Article on Raheem Sterling on 13:05 - Jul 9 with 2323 viewsMrSheen

Great Article on Raheem Sterling on 12:36 - Jul 9 by Match82

Mostly from City not Liverpool through the sell-on clause.

I think a lot of venom towards him came from jilted fans of the Greatest Club in the World (TM).
[Post edited 9 Jul 2021 13:05]
Great Article on Raheem Sterling on 15:24 - Jul 9 with 2180 viewsMatch82

Great Article on Raheem Sterling on 12:36 - Jul 9 by GloryHunter

In this piece, Joe Gallen says we got £10 million for Raheem. Can that be correct?

Probably is. Consensus seems to be sell on clause was 20% and fee was 45-ish rising to 50 based on add-ons.

That gets you pretty close to the 10m to start, plus the initial fee which I think was at least 500k
Great Article on Raheem Sterling on 15:34 - Jul 9 with 2164 viewsphilc

One of the reasons I couldn’t get too upset with the transfer was that Liverpool played fair, with the sell on clause at least we made some money.

Unlike now, when I assume we’d only get training compensation, Brentford, Fulham and Watford have all lost talent for a pittance since, didn’t Sancho move from Watford.
Great Article on Raheem Sterling on 16:49 - Jul 9 with 2096 viewskensalriser

Great Article on Raheem Sterling on 12:38 - Jul 9 by stowmarketrange

Very true mate,but it felt a rip off at the time.

Never played a first team game up to that point. How many of these promising youngsters make it as first team regulars at the top level? For every Sterling there are probably 20 or more Josh Bowlers.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Great Article on Raheem Sterling on 16:56 - Jul 9 with 2081 viewsMick_S

Great Article on Raheem Sterling on 15:34 - Jul 9 by philc

One of the reasons I couldn’t get too upset with the transfer was that Liverpool played fair, with the sell on clause at least we made some money.

Unlike now, when I assume we’d only get training compensation, Brentford, Fulham and Watford have all lost talent for a pittance since, didn’t Sancho move from Watford.

He was at The Harefield Academy, which is where Watford send some of their young ones.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024