Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Similar to the Early 80s 20:58 - Jul 25 with 1944 viewsNorthantsHoop

The positivity of the 2nd half of last season, the signings and the way we are playing,albeit one very positive friendly result yesterday have echoes of the Venables era. It took him about 18 months to 2 years to get the team really motoring and push for promotion. He made shrewd signings, gave youngsters a chance and even though we had the plastic pitch we played some lovely football home and away. Mark Warburton has been at the club 2 years, building from within, making some great signings and the football is looking very entertaining. Venables also had a great assistant in Allan Harris, with news that Eustace is staying a bit longer, things are looking up in all departments.
Similar to the Early 80s on 21:25 - Jul 25 with 1835 views80s_Boy

'even though we had the plastic pitch we played some lovely football home and away.'

I love pointing out that we had the most away wins in Division 2 in 1982/83 and the 2nd most in Division 1 in 1983/84... 👍
Similar to the Early 80s on 21:25 - Jul 25 with 1836 viewsLogman

I thought there were some very average teams in the Championship (or Div One ) in those days when we got promoted. There weren't so many big fish. And we had relatively more big names then, e.g. Roeder, Wicks, Bob Hazell, Fenwick, Flanagan, Allen, Gregory, Currie, Stainrod. I think we are at a formative stage compared with that team, although there are likenesses - Neill, Dawes, Waddock etc.
Similar to the Early 80s on 21:38 - Jul 25 with 1790 views80s_Boy

Similar to the Early 80s on 21:25 - Jul 25 by Logman

I thought there were some very average teams in the Championship (or Div One ) in those days when we got promoted. There weren't so many big fish. And we had relatively more big names then, e.g. Roeder, Wicks, Bob Hazell, Fenwick, Flanagan, Allen, Gregory, Currie, Stainrod. I think we are at a formative stage compared with that team, although there are likenesses - Neill, Dawes, Waddock etc.

Liverpool, Aston Villa, Spurs, Everton, Ipswich and Nottingham Forest had all won European trophies within 2 years of us being promoted or 3 years before...

It was far from being an average league and our 5th place finish in 1984 is up there with our greatest ever seasons.

*edit*
. Sorry, just reread what you said... My post was arguing against a point you hadn't made 😂
[Post edited 25 Jul 2021 21:42]
Similar to the Early 80s on 22:12 - Jul 25 with 1720 viewsNorthantsHoop

I don't think we will ever get back to those days in terms of being able to compete at the highest level, the financial landscape has changed so much. What we seem to be doing is building a solid base to compete at Championship level, hopefully obtain promotion and then maintain a position in the Premier league for a sustained period.
Similar to the Early 80s on 23:24 - Jul 25 with 1587 viewsWatfordR

Similar to the Early 80s on 22:12 - Jul 25 by NorthantsHoop

I don't think we will ever get back to those days in terms of being able to compete at the highest level, the financial landscape has changed so much. What we seem to be doing is building a solid base to compete at Championship level, hopefully obtain promotion and then maintain a position in the Premier league for a sustained period.

I'm not saying we're anything like ready for this, we're clearly not anywhere near,

BUT it's about time some teams started looking to compete in the Prem, rather than shrug their shoulders and say, "well seventh place is up for grabs".

If Leicester could do it, then Everton, WHam, Soton, Palace and maybe even Wolves should be having a crack at top 4 too. Most of these don't have European distractions. They are established, don't need to sell, should be able to command top dollar for those they do sell, and replace like for like at a profit.

If we continue to do things right, promotion will come, a new stadium will come and there's no reason why we couldn't look to be a competitive, top 10 Prem team in 10 years time.

If you don't look to improve year on year, you're going backwards. Circumstances might, just might, have worked in our favour for once. I'm getting quite excited about our prospects.

It can't end well, can it?

Surely??
Similar to the Early 80s on 23:27 - Jul 25 with 1579 views80s_Boy

Similar to the Early 80s on 22:12 - Jul 25 by NorthantsHoop

I'm not saying it would be easy but there's nothing to stop us becoming a regular European Conference League team (that's the new European tournament for those who may not know) within 20-25 years.

We have to move ground, of course, but the next step is to continue producing young talent others want to buy for vast amounts and repeating over the years for greater fees.

It will mean having to sell our best player every couple of seasons but with the right scouting system in place that wouldn't be a problem.

The problem is going to be patience from the fans. It will involve a number of backwards steps and a few relegations here and there but it's not impossible, it just takes a lot longer if we're going to do it the right way.
Similar to the Early 80s on 23:47 - Jul 25 with 1552 viewsCiderwithRsie

Sorry guys, but for me this is getting s-o-o-o-o-o-o far ahead of ourselves
Similar to the Early 80s on 23:49 - Jul 25 with 1547 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Similar to the Early 80s on 23:27 - Jul 25 by 80s_Boy

I'm not saying it would be easy but there's nothing to stop us becoming a regular European Conference League team (that's the new European tournament for those who may not know) within 20-25 years.

We have to move ground, of course, but the next step is to continue producing young talent others want to buy for vast amounts and repeating over the years for greater fees.

It will mean having to sell our best player every couple of seasons but with the right scouting system in place that wouldn't be a problem.

The problem is going to be patience from the fans. It will involve a number of backwards steps and a few relegations here and there but it's not impossible, it just takes a lot longer if we're going to do it the right way.

"it just takes a lot longer if we're going to do it the right way"

The only way is the right way.

Who's to say where Man City will be compared to us in 10 years time.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Similar to the Early 80s on 23:50 - Jul 25 with 1547 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Similar to the Early 80s on 23:47 - Jul 25 by CiderwithRsie

True, we won't be promoted until February.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Similar to the Early 80s on 23:55 - Jul 25 with 1523 views80s_Boy

Similar to the Early 80s on 23:47 - Jul 25 by CiderwithRsie

If you don't have a dream, how you going to make a dream come true? 😉
Similar to the Early 80s on 00:01 - Jul 26 with 1499 viewsPunteR

There's a vibe.
That's all im saying on this. :)

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Similar to the Early 80s on 07:18 - Jul 26 with 1385 viewsHooparoo

Similar to the Early 80s on 00:01 - Jul 26 by PunteR

There's a vibe.
That's all im saying on this. :)

I agree mate. May be just wishful thinking but I feel that a few good things are falling into place for us. They certainly looked confident against United. Winning breeds good habits even if it was only a friendly.

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Similar to the Early 80s on 09:24 - Jul 26 with 1282 views80s_Boy

Similar to the Early 80s on 07:18 - Jul 26 by Hooparoo

I agree mate. May be just wishful thinking but I feel that a few good things are falling into place for us. They certainly looked confident against United. Winning breeds good habits even if it was only a friendly.

How boring would it be to become a football fan who doesn't fall into either ridiculous hope or unbearable fear before a season has started?
Similar to the Early 80s on 10:05 - Jul 26 with 1207 viewsCiderwithRsie

Similar to the Early 80s on 23:55 - Jul 25 by 80s_Boy

Yeah, fair enough really.

I cannot think of a single thing that could be going better now. Even little things like having an honest firm who makes an actual thing as our shirt sponsor. I'm on this site all the time feeling like a kid at Christmas, excited about a bloody pre-season friendly at Cambridge!

Am I the only one who feels like a 20-year old, who's discovered this really cool band that you know is going to be huuuuuge, but nobody else has heard about them so you go round to all your mates saying "you've gotta listen to this"?
Similar to the Early 80s on 11:07 - Jul 26 with 1154 viewsdmm

Similar to the Early 80s on 23:55 - Jul 25 by 80s_Boy

This is happy talk, 80s Boy.
Similar to the Early 80s on 11:23 - Jul 26 with 1126 viewsMick_S

Similar to the Early 80s on 11:07 - Jul 26 by dmm

This is happy talk, 80s Boy.

Very sensible.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024