Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season 16:50 - Jul 28 with 5484 viewsGloryHunter

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jul/28/major-heading-restrictions-agre
Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 09:35 - Jul 29 with 1342 viewsrobith

Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 20:13 - Jul 28 by qpr_1968

i'd tell them as well as the people that have never played football in their lives.
don't buy it.

no one's selling it boss man.

Beyond the fact that you think people should suffer long term health consequences cos of your definitions of hard and soft

As shown in rugby, if you ignore evidence that elements of your sport are causing people to develop dementia, people will stop insuring them, and with no insurance you have no game
Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 09:36 - Jul 29 with 1340 viewsrobith

Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 22:52 - Jul 28 by Boston

Mrs Boston has just informed me dementia is more common in women than men.

cool story bro. what's your point spaceman
Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 10:46 - Jul 29 with 1291 viewsdaveB

Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 21:43 - Jul 28 by Myke

Why are Cage fighters not having their heads punched every day? Surely they train everyday like other sports people? Not that Cage fighting is a sport imo, but that's another debate. I would argue that players actually head the ball less frequently than fighters get punched/kicked in the head Dementia is a sad and horrible disease and I witnessed with my dad. But I'm with 68 on this one - tragically it happens in all walks of life.

I imagine they wear head guards to protect them
Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 10:55 - Jul 29 with 1276 viewsBostonR

Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 22:20 - Jul 28 by Boston

Do football players have higher rates of dementia than the average member of the public?

There is a huge clinical trial underway:

https://app.mantal.co.uk/scores?hl=GB#home
Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 11:23 - Jul 29 with 1247 viewsLazyFan

Not many players wear head guards when training, I think this would be a better place to start. And possibly if it works bring it into the game like shin guards.

Players may look silly, but they do anyway when they dye their hair blue and so on.

zzzzzzzzzz

Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 12:13 - Jul 29 with 1223 viewsMyke

Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 11:23 - Jul 29 by LazyFan

Not many players wear head guards when training, I think this would be a better place to start. And possibly if it works bring it into the game like shin guards.

Players may look silly, but they do anyway when they dye their hair blue and so on.

My son just died his hair blue!!! It's a good point about protective head gear in training. Helmets in hurling became compulsory in all matches 11 years ago. Before that they were optional and many players were to macho to wear them. Now it's perfectly normal. Not saying footballers should wear head gear in matches, but maybe in training would be a decent compromise. I still feel that not that many players head the ball that often in any given 90 minutes (CH's & CF's mostly obviously) and as 68 said, the balls are ridiculously light nowadays (I wonder how fast Lorimer or Case could kick a modern ball?) But obviously if something can prevent future issues it should be considered
Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 12:15 - Jul 29 with 1219 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Really can't see why scrumcaps or similar shouldn't be a facet of the game in training and matches like it is in Rugby for Forwards. Would also massively reduce concussion injuries and probably eliminate Petr Czech type injuries.

Maybe make it recommended but optional but certainly all players should be made aware of the data and risks.

The ratios of heading is obviously lower depending on your position and skills. I would feel better if Dickie wore one for example but probably more relaxed about Chair.

Once you can start sticking sponsors on it I'm sure the Premier League will boost the campaign.

[Post edited 29 Jul 2021 12:22]
Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 13:49 - Jul 29 with 1178 viewsrobith

Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 12:15 - Jul 29 by BazzaInTheLoft

Really can't see why scrumcaps or similar shouldn't be a facet of the game in training and matches like it is in Rugby for Forwards. Would also massively reduce concussion injuries and probably eliminate Petr Czech type injuries.

Maybe make it recommended but optional but certainly all players should be made aware of the data and risks.

The ratios of heading is obviously lower depending on your position and skills. I would feel better if Dickie wore one for example but probably more relaxed about Chair.

Once you can start sticking sponsors on it I'm sure the Premier League will boost the campaign.

[Post edited 29 Jul 2021 12:22]

tbh, as someone who has worn a scrumcap relatively frequently, I believe their efficacy is disputed (some even claim they are harmful by making players take extra risks feeling invincible). The only real benefit I got from it was it protected my ear better than tape (shudder)
Login to get fewer ads

Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 14:24 - Jul 29 with 1163 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 13:49 - Jul 29 by robith

tbh, as someone who has worn a scrumcap relatively frequently, I believe their efficacy is disputed (some even claim they are harmful by making players take extra risks feeling invincible). The only real benefit I got from it was it protected my ear better than tape (shudder)

I don’t think it HAS to be a scrum cap

The product should be tailored for the use but definitely something that should be looked at as an option.
Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 14:25 - Jul 29 with 1156 viewsLazyFan

Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 13:49 - Jul 29 by robith

Yeah, I think I agree, also that one does not seem to cover the forehead where I expect most heading impact would be.

Ruddocks April fools Headator as described here: https://backpagefootball.com/remember-the-adidas-headator/72698/

Should actually be an April Fools on the Sun and Ruddock by making it a real Product. Seeing as Eze and Bale wear headbands anyway I don't see the issue and even any stigma associated with wearing a proper protective band in training and then full matches. If we don't adapt then they will take away heading altogether as it has been proven dangerous.

No more will we witness Macca vs Durie, Parker vs Fash, Ferdi vs Adams, Falco vs Keown, Maddix vs Rush and the many heading battles we have seen over the years that bring joy to the game.

I would rather introduce a silly headband than lose heading altogether.

zzzzzzzzzz

Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 14:31 - Jul 29 with 1153 viewsrobith

Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 14:25 - Jul 29 by LazyFan

Yeah, I think I agree, also that one does not seem to cover the forehead where I expect most heading impact would be.

Ruddocks April fools Headator as described here: https://backpagefootball.com/remember-the-adidas-headator/72698/

Should actually be an April Fools on the Sun and Ruddock by making it a real Product. Seeing as Eze and Bale wear headbands anyway I don't see the issue and even any stigma associated with wearing a proper protective band in training and then full matches. If we don't adapt then they will take away heading altogether as it has been proven dangerous.

No more will we witness Macca vs Durie, Parker vs Fash, Ferdi vs Adams, Falco vs Keown, Maddix vs Rush and the many heading battles we have seen over the years that bring joy to the game.

I would rather introduce a silly headband than lose heading altogether.

haha I vividly remember the Headeator! I thought it sounded so sick
Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 14:49 - Jul 29 with 1140 viewsPinnerPaul

Footballers head footballs

Footballers get dementia

2 facts that may or may not be linked, plenty of work to be done to 'prove' or 'disprove' the link, but until more evidence is presented, probably sensible to do what they have done.
Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 14:58 - Jul 29 with 1135 viewsBoston

Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 09:36 - Jul 29 by robith

cool story bro. what's your point spaceman

eh, I sometimes listen to my wife.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 15:02 - Jul 29 with 1134 viewskensalriser

Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 20:58 - Jul 28 by qpr_1968

none whatsoever.
whats your for footballers getting dementia by heading a football.

a footballer gets dementia, does'nt mean its because he's headed a football.

I have none, but I'm not the one questioning the research of those who do.

https://www.gla.ac.uk/explore/avenue/world-changingresearch/showingdementiathere

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 15:19 - Jul 29 with 1116 viewsrobith

Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 14:58 - Jul 29 by Boston

eh, I sometimes listen to my wife.

sounds risky
Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 16:29 - Jul 29 with 1078 viewskensalriser

Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 01:41 - Jul 29 by Boston

Thanks Sharpy, but it's one of those situations where there is no winner. I believe that the likelihood of succumbing to this condition may be genetic, no ill will to others but thank god I've never heard of anyone in my family / antecedents suffering from any form of dementia...then again, how would I know, we were all 'touched' to begin with.

As far as I can make out the genetic links for dementia are generally low but do seem to play a part in the rare early onset Alzheimer's.

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/about-dementia/risk-factors-and-prevention/genetic

In my own family, both parents and one grandparent got dementia but a different type in each case. None of the other three grandparents lived to the sort of age that dementia tends to appear at.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 17:10 - Jul 29 with 1062 viewsrrrspricey

Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 22:49 - Jul 28 by BazzaInTheLoft

Opening what looks like an interesting thread and finding dementia denial.

I don't think 68 was necessarily denying dementia. I'm certainly not as have seen family members suffer terribly with the disease.

One would imagine the likes of Jeff Astle, Jack Charlton etc. were heading balls many times heavier than today's ball and i would therefore assume more damage took place than it would in today's game.

I can remember playing at school and in Sunday league during the 70s and no one would head the ball straight from a goal kick because it bloody hurt, even more so if it was wet
Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 18:06 - Jul 29 with 1038 viewsqpr_1968

Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 15:02 - Jul 29 by kensalriser

https://www.gla.ac.uk/explore/avenue/world-changingresearch/showingdementiathere

exacttly....none of us has any proof, what we do have is an opinion, a difference of opinion.
best leave it at that.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 18:09 - Jul 29 with 1033 viewsqpr_1968

Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 17:10 - Jul 29 by rrrspricey

I don't think 68 was necessarily denying dementia. I'm certainly not as have seen family members suffer terribly with the disease.

One would imagine the likes of Jeff Astle, Jack Charlton etc. were heading balls many times heavier than today's ball and i would therefore assume more damage took place than it would in today's game.

I can remember playing at school and in Sunday league during the 70s and no one would head the ball straight from a goal kick because it bloody hurt, even more so if it was wet

and your right pricey, i am not denying dementia, have spent weeks in dementia/alzheimer
hospitals/homes with loved ones....terrible disease.

i just don't buy into heading a football gives you dementia.....if the doctors don't know how do the big experts on here know.

Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 18:30 - Jul 29 with 1013 viewsdaveB

Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 18:09 - Jul 29 by qpr_1968

and your right pricey, i am not denying dementia, have spent weeks in dementia/alzheimer
hospitals/homes with loved ones....terrible disease.

i just don't buy into heading a football gives you dementia.....if the doctors don't know how do the big experts on here know.

I don't think it gives you dementia and thats not what this is about but there does seem to be a link between the two. Alan Shearer did a really good documentary about it a few years back showing the impact on the brain every header has and this was one of the recommendations to reduce the number of headers in training
Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 18:35 - Jul 29 with 1006 viewsqpr_1968

Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 18:30 - Jul 29 by daveB

I don't think it gives you dementia and thats not what this is about but there does seem to be a link between the two. Alan Shearer did a really good documentary about it a few years back showing the impact on the brain every header has and this was one of the recommendations to reduce the number of headers in training

fair enough.

Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 22:21 - Aug 2 with 848 viewsE17hoop

Defenders are more likely to have dementia in later life compared with other playing positions in football, says new research.

In 2019, a study by Professor Willie Stewart found that former footballers were about three and a half times more likely to die of neurodegenerative brain disease than the general population.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58060644

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 01:19 - Aug 3 with 778 viewsDavieQPR

Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 15:02 - Jul 29 by kensalriser

Trouble with that report it only looked at deaths prior to 1976 when the old leather balls were used. That report was 46 years out of date.
Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 01:51 - Aug 3 with 760 viewskarl

Given that it's generally viewed as brain trauma that's responsible for the damage then wearing a head guard of any kind doesn't seem to me to offer any protection.
If you put your head in the way of a football travelling at 60mph then the subsequent rattling of your brain isn't going to be lessened if you've got a kevlar cap on with Coca Cola branded down the side, the only safeguard is to reduce the incidences.
In Scotland we now have zero heading in training for Primary school age kids and I can see controls coming in to match English FA '10 impact headers' per training session for those older, I agree with it in general.
As said by someone above, no need to get kids trained to head the ball by launching in solid balls continuously but I will say the under 11s I coach are desperate to head the ball and see it as a bit of the forbidden fruit.
One statistic I have seen was that women were far more vulnerable to brain trauma from heading a football.
This will have a major effect on their game I feel, from watching the Olympics I think there's a greater tendency to launch the ball into the box as it's a skill fewer players seem to have and finds a weakness in a team, if heading does genuinely cause greater problems for women then they will need to address the issue but I can see it leading to blanket rulings at the moment as there probably won't be an appetite to treat the male and female games differently.
Will be interesting developments.
With our under 11s we have been throwing a normal matchball into the air and getting them to attack/address the ball by moving forward and connecting with their knee or chest. Without that practice they turn their backs and the ball bounces over them, we'll probably see that the players adapt.
I still coach adults, amateur level, and without doubt it would be easy to keep to the FA guidance of 10 impact headers per training session, I'd actually be surprised if we've gone over that in the last 10 years other than an occasional time.
Professional game will be much more difficult, I've watched Scotland back 4 being warmed up pre match and each defender will have been pumped in 10 headers minimum as they've worked their positional play while the others tuck in. Totally understandable and I'm sure the players buy into it but realistically how many impact headers must they be making each week if that's, a, pre match warm up?
Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 08:49 - Aug 3 with 712 viewsLazyFan

Head guard may allow us to see if it reduces the problem.
Then we can look at improving on that to eliminate it, which may be reducing headers in training or maybe the head guard works enough.

But until we start the process of at least experimenting (as it takes years to find out) we may find out the hard way later on at the cost of many people.

zzzzzzzzzz

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024