Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Warburton post-match interview 00:29 - Sep 25 with 8624 viewsstainrods_elbow

Just listened to it on the Offish and, I don't know about you, for me it really caps off a depressing evening's work.

'We had to play a different style of football tonight .' No, we didn't! We needed to mix up flair and fortitude, not turn into Wimbledon AFC with an inferiority complex. We chose to play a game we clearly can't play well, got deeper as the game got longer, made the wrong subs, gifted them a goal (again), and handed them the three points by snatching defeat from the unlikely jaws of victory.

Then Nick London, right on script - in a voice whose tone always sounds to me perfectly tuned to that of a man longing for excuses to fail even when he's saying he's not - makes sure he gets said excuses away 65 seconds in, by talking up the 'how significant is it?' angle on the Everton cup win. A more perfect specimen of the 'leading question' you couldn't hope to find, which Warbs bites on gratefully, mentioning de Wijs down with cramp and JoJo hitting the deck, even though (as he himself half-acknowledged) neither actually played on Tuesday! You seriously couldn't make it up! Get a grip, man, and stop treating us all like imbeciles!

If the players really are at 'an exhaustion stage' after two games in a week, then, after fewer than 10 games of the season, I can only say (and will continue to say) something is really wrong with the fitness programme at QPR. It just won't wash!

Essentially, by telling the fans that there are 'consequences' (the manager's word) for progressing to the heady heights of the last 16 of the Carabao Cup, it's not hard to see that he's aggressively managing down our expectations to provide mitigation for both the team's and coaching staff's continuing deficiencies as some kind of irreversible form of footballing fate. Personally, I feel even worse about that than tonight's game, on the principle that a fish rots from its head.

Some people may feel I'm over-reacting, and perhaps I am, but my underlying beef stands regardless. People either look up or down in life, and I think tonight the barely coded message to the fans from the manager is not to expect too much, and, worse, to definitely expect to suffer for actually trying in a cup competition.

As a final observation, I wonder how the surviving members of our 1966-67 squad would feel listening to our manager speak this evening, who managed to actually win the League Cup and, blow me down, the Div III championship to boot (46 games then as now, funnily enough), with a squad of 18, on shit pitches, and, supposedly, a much lower knowledge-base of physical training - though, it would appear, much more aspiration. If, anyone is able to wind back the clock, I'd love to know if Alex Stock was whining to the media in a similar vein about dampening down our hopes before the leaves were off the trees - he'd have killed, I'm sure, to be working under modern management conditions. Either way, the likes of Dave Clement and Mick Leach would, I'll wager, be shaking their ghostly heads!
[Post edited 25 Sep 2021 0:38]

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Warburton post-match interview on 09:29 - Sep 30 with 1271 viewsfrancisbowles

Warburton post-match interview on 14:39 - Sep 28 by PinnerPaul

Yessssss, but again what can the EFL do about that?

They could at least acknowledge there is a problem and try to find a solution. They could move the play offs back a couple of weeks, could start earlier (like Scotland) or could schedule Saturday games in the international break and allow them to be moved on request due to call ups (as they do in Leagues 1&2 and used to do in the old 2nd tier before it was named the Championship). They could play the first two rounds of the league cup before the season or play the league cup in the international breaks without allowing postponements for call ups.

Yes I know there are problems with all of those and they may not work and certainly wouldn't be perfect. Maybe a combination of a longer season and using the break might be worth a try.
Warburton post-match interview on 15:19 - Sep 30 with 1190 viewsPinnerPaul

Warburton post-match interview on 09:29 - Sep 30 by francisbowles

They could at least acknowledge there is a problem and try to find a solution. They could move the play offs back a couple of weeks, could start earlier (like Scotland) or could schedule Saturday games in the international break and allow them to be moved on request due to call ups (as they do in Leagues 1&2 and used to do in the old 2nd tier before it was named the Championship). They could play the first two rounds of the league cup before the season or play the league cup in the international breaks without allowing postponements for call ups.

Yes I know there are problems with all of those and they may not work and certainly wouldn't be perfect. Maybe a combination of a longer season and using the break might be worth a try.

My point, a little like SE's, is that I don't think it IS a 'problem' playing a midweek game.

Its NOT every week, despite MW giving that impression, and the majority of the players DO get additional recovery time in the international breaks.
Warburton post-match interview on 17:42 - Sep 30 with 1142 viewsterryb

Warburton post-match interview on 15:19 - Sep 30 by PinnerPaul

My point, a little like SE's, is that I don't think it IS a 'problem' playing a midweek game.

Its NOT every week, despite MW giving that impression, and the majority of the players DO get additional recovery time in the international breaks.

I suppose that is correct Paul, but it is debatable as we have played every available one. To the end of September we have played 7 weekend games & 6 midweek.

The only times we've not played is during the international break & this will also be the case in October. November as well if we beat Sunderland.

It is the price for progressing in the League Cup!
Warburton post-match interview on 17:57 - Sep 30 with 1130 viewsdaveB

Since the season started we've had a midweek game every week apart from the international break.

The first week we'll have no midweek game this season is the end of November after the Derby game
Warburton post-match interview on 18:04 - Sep 30 with 1116 viewsLongsufferingR

To be honest, even if the EFL moved dates around to make more space, the more powerful authorities would find ways of filling in the gaps. Look at the new money spinning idea of a World Cup every two years. Absolutely no reason for it other than making more money.
Warburton post-match interview on 07:32 - Oct 1 with 1004 viewsnix

The thing is, you saying it (over and over again) doesn't making it true. Clive has provided evidence that we do worse against teams when we've had less of a break than when we haven't.

As I pointed out on the WBA thread, we had less of a break than other teams that played them who did better against them.

Of course, it should even out over the season. Except if you have a cup run and the teams above you don't, in which case it won't. Or if you have players that play internationals and don't get a break and other teams don't. Or if you have a larger squad and are less affected by injuries and fatigue. Or if the vagaries of the fixture list mean that you're playing your main rivals when they've had a break and you haven't.

I don't know an answer to it, of course, and it may only make an incremental difference, but that's why Warburton goes on about small margins so much, because they do make such a difference. I doubt if he bangs on to the players about it, so I don't think there's a problem about it appearing negative, and I doubt if they watch his press conferences, but if he's asked why he thinks we lost particular games, it's a perfectly legitimate point to make.
Warburton post-match interview on 13:58 - Oct 1 with 909 viewsPinnerPaul

Warburton post-match interview on 17:57 - Sep 30 by daveB

Since the season started we've had a midweek game every week apart from the international break.

The first week we'll have no midweek game this season is the end of November after the Derby game

So erm, NOT EVERY week then!

We sound like those sides who qualify for the Europa League and then spend the following season moaning that they are......in the Europa League.

Easy solution if he 's that bothered, don't enter the cup competitions!
Warburton post-match interview on 14:01 - Oct 1 with 902 viewsPinnerPaul

Warburton post-match interview on 07:32 - Oct 1 by nix

The thing is, you saying it (over and over again) doesn't making it true. Clive has provided evidence that we do worse against teams when we've had less of a break than when we haven't.

As I pointed out on the WBA thread, we had less of a break than other teams that played them who did better against them.

Of course, it should even out over the season. Except if you have a cup run and the teams above you don't, in which case it won't. Or if you have players that play internationals and don't get a break and other teams don't. Or if you have a larger squad and are less affected by injuries and fatigue. Or if the vagaries of the fixture list mean that you're playing your main rivals when they've had a break and you haven't.

I don't know an answer to it, of course, and it may only make an incremental difference, but that's why Warburton goes on about small margins so much, because they do make such a difference. I doubt if he bangs on to the players about it, so I don't think there's a problem about it appearing negative, and I doubt if they watch his press conferences, but if he's asked why he thinks we lost particular games, it's a perfectly legitimate point to make.

Its NOT every week - doesn't matter if I say it once or 100 times, that bit is true.

As is the fact that with a 24 team league and 2 cup competitions and the internationals we play midweek games.

AND outside the EFL and without international breaks, guess what they ALL play midweek games as well.

Didn't hear Lee Bowyer moan that they had less of a break than us either.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2021 14:03]
Login to get fewer ads

Warburton post-match interview on 14:16 - Oct 1 with 877 viewsdaveB

Warburton post-match interview on 13:58 - Oct 1 by PinnerPaul

So erm, NOT EVERY week then!

We sound like those sides who qualify for the Europa League and then spend the following season moaning that they are......in the Europa League.

Easy solution if he 's that bothered, don't enter the cup competitions!

don't think anyone has said it's every week all season but this is part of the lunacy of it. It's 3 games a week every week for the first 4 months of the season then you don't have another midweek game until February so there is plenty of space in the calendar to spread these games out a bit more
Warburton post-match interview on 16:11 - Oct 1 with 820 viewsfrancisbowles

Warburton post-match interview on 14:01 - Oct 1 by PinnerPaul

Its NOT every week - doesn't matter if I say it once or 100 times, that bit is true.

As is the fact that with a 24 team league and 2 cup competitions and the internationals we play midweek games.

AND outside the EFL and without international breaks, guess what they ALL play midweek games as well.

Pinner, you are very entrenched in your view on this and being a bit pedantic.

Mate every f*cking week we have played on consecutive weekends this season we have had a f*cking midweek game as well.

Whatever your personal view, the vast majority of people who earn their living in the game or reporting on it (unless they work for SKY) think the calendar, particularly in this division, is crazy.

Warburton post-match interview on 16:17 - Oct 1 with 812 viewsPinnerPaul

Warburton post-match interview on 16:11 - Oct 1 by francisbowles

Pinner, you are very entrenched in your view on this and being a bit pedantic.

Mate every f*cking week we have played on consecutive weekends this season we have had a f*cking midweek game as well.

Whatever your personal view, the vast majority of people who earn their living in the game or reporting on it (unless they work for SKY) think the calendar, particularly in this division, is crazy.

Firstly I apologise for not acknowledging sooner that you did indeed propose some solutions.

MW never does and nor do most on here, so fair play for that.

Two points do STILL get me - sorry in advance! - MW banged on about that Tues Night/Fri Night combo - TWELVE teams played this Weds and play again Sat afternoon - that's a smaller time between kick offs - yes we can debate if its right but its not unusual or unique to us or even this league.

2nd point and maybe its just me today!, but we want to do well in the cup, "Wasn't Everton great, can't wait for Sunderland" etc but then moan about playing midweek!

Its a bit like wanting to do well in the league, OBVS! - but then we moan that Sky keep picking us - that's a direct consequence of our 'success' surely?
Warburton post-match interview on 19:54 - Oct 1 with 750 viewsfrancisbowles

Warburton post-match interview on 16:17 - Oct 1 by PinnerPaul

Firstly I apologise for not acknowledging sooner that you did indeed propose some solutions.

MW never does and nor do most on here, so fair play for that.

Two points do STILL get me - sorry in advance! - MW banged on about that Tues Night/Fri Night combo - TWELVE teams played this Weds and play again Sat afternoon - that's a smaller time between kick offs - yes we can debate if its right but its not unusual or unique to us or even this league.

2nd point and maybe its just me today!, but we want to do well in the cup, "Wasn't Everton great, can't wait for Sunderland" etc but then moan about playing midweek!

Its a bit like wanting to do well in the league, OBVS! - but then we moan that Sky keep picking us - that's a direct consequence of our 'success' surely?

I do get some of your points and acknowledge that they are valid.

However, I don't think there is much to choose between 3.00 kick off and 7.45. You probably are still up and about at the same time. I believe players usually try and have a sleep in the afternoon before an evening game, so that could be a positive or negative thing. If the midweek game is away, though that can have a huge effect, arriving home in the early hours.

It's the Saturday, Tuesday, Friday killer combo that is less rest in between, than Saturday, Wednesday, Saturday.

As others have said, he has to speak to the media and answer their questions. Success in cups obviously adds to fixture congestion and accentuates the fatigue and injury problems. Mentioning it could have a bit of a negative effect psychologically but it is up to him and his staff to use their motivational powers to get the players over it.

What did you think of the suggestions?
Warburton post-match interview on 20:22 - Oct 1 with 721 viewsterryb

Warburton post-match interview on 14:01 - Oct 1 by PinnerPaul

No, it's not every week, but please acknowledge Paul that it is every week that we are allowed to play! Or at least concede that whenever we have played on consectutive weekends we have played during that midweek.

On your basis, we don't play every weekend either due to the international breaks.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2021 20:39]
Warburton post-match interview on 21:29 - Oct 1 with 678 viewsnumptydumpty

Post match interviews have be done.

It's very difficult to not repeat previous interviews.

Sure Stainrods Elbow, you would struggle say something new every time also.

Overanalysing an unnecessary but deemed permanent part of football now ie the post match interview- hard to be original...

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Biggest Nobhead of the year

Warburton post-match interview on 22:27 - Oct 1 with 646 viewsMyke

If we have such a hectic fixture schedule, with a small(ish) squad and need to manage fatigue etc, then surely there is no need for a 'B' team to compound the problem?
Warburton post-match interview on 11:11 - Oct 2 with 536 viewsPinnerPaul

Warburton post-match interview on 19:54 - Oct 1 by francisbowles

I do get some of your points and acknowledge that they are valid.

However, I don't think there is much to choose between 3.00 kick off and 7.45. You probably are still up and about at the same time. I believe players usually try and have a sleep in the afternoon before an evening game, so that could be a positive or negative thing. If the midweek game is away, though that can have a huge effect, arriving home in the early hours.

It's the Saturday, Tuesday, Friday killer combo that is less rest in between, than Saturday, Wednesday, Saturday.

As others have said, he has to speak to the media and answer their questions. Success in cups obviously adds to fixture congestion and accentuates the fatigue and injury problems. Mentioning it could have a bit of a negative effect psychologically but it is up to him and his staff to use their motivational powers to get the players over it.

What did you think of the suggestions?

As you said yourself - some would work, some wouldn't and some would have knock ons elsewhere.

On the media side, have a listen to the PNE manager on their offy if you have time.

They have played 7 gams in 22 days, but his attitude is a little more accepting than MW's.
Warburton post-match interview on 11:15 - Oct 2 with 529 viewsPinnerPaul

Warburton post-match interview on 20:22 - Oct 1 by terryb

No, it's not every week, but please acknowledge Paul that it is every week that we are allowed to play! Or at least concede that whenever we have played on consectutive weekends we have played during that midweek.

On your basis, we don't play every weekend either due to the international breaks.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2021 20:39]

All true Terry and I do acknowledge that, but MW doesn't - now turning even the breaks into a negative because the 'players go off' - more than half don't as we well know.

It was the same with the travelling, when we had the two away games. That was followed by about 4 weeks of not leaving London - yes some of that was a break but doesn't alter the fact that we were NOT travelling!

I agree about the away games being more taxing, but here we are Tues/Sat - both at home - many teams haven't had that luxury for example - it is what it is as 'someone' used to say!
Warburton post-match interview on 11:16 - Oct 2 with 526 viewsPinnerPaul

Warburton post-match interview on 21:29 - Oct 1 by numptydumpty

Post match interviews have be done.

It's very difficult to not repeat previous interviews.

Sure Stainrods Elbow, you would struggle say something new every time also.

Overanalysing an unnecessary but deemed permanent part of football now ie the post match interview- hard to be original...

See above for the PNE's manager's take on it.

7 games in 22 days, but he's not negative about it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024