Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Warburton post-match interview 00:29 - Sep 25 with 8629 viewsstainrods_elbow

Just listened to it on the Offish and, I don't know about you, for me it really caps off a depressing evening's work.

'We had to play a different style of football tonight .' No, we didn't! We needed to mix up flair and fortitude, not turn into Wimbledon AFC with an inferiority complex. We chose to play a game we clearly can't play well, got deeper as the game got longer, made the wrong subs, gifted them a goal (again), and handed them the three points by snatching defeat from the unlikely jaws of victory.

Then Nick London, right on script - in a voice whose tone always sounds to me perfectly tuned to that of a man longing for excuses to fail even when he's saying he's not - makes sure he gets said excuses away 65 seconds in, by talking up the 'how significant is it?' angle on the Everton cup win. A more perfect specimen of the 'leading question' you couldn't hope to find, which Warbs bites on gratefully, mentioning de Wijs down with cramp and JoJo hitting the deck, even though (as he himself half-acknowledged) neither actually played on Tuesday! You seriously couldn't make it up! Get a grip, man, and stop treating us all like imbeciles!

If the players really are at 'an exhaustion stage' after two games in a week, then, after fewer than 10 games of the season, I can only say (and will continue to say) something is really wrong with the fitness programme at QPR. It just won't wash!

Essentially, by telling the fans that there are 'consequences' (the manager's word) for progressing to the heady heights of the last 16 of the Carabao Cup, it's not hard to see that he's aggressively managing down our expectations to provide mitigation for both the team's and coaching staff's continuing deficiencies as some kind of irreversible form of footballing fate. Personally, I feel even worse about that than tonight's game, on the principle that a fish rots from its head.

Some people may feel I'm over-reacting, and perhaps I am, but my underlying beef stands regardless. People either look up or down in life, and I think tonight the barely coded message to the fans from the manager is not to expect too much, and, worse, to definitely expect to suffer for actually trying in a cup competition.

As a final observation, I wonder how the surviving members of our 1966-67 squad would feel listening to our manager speak this evening, who managed to actually win the League Cup and, blow me down, the Div III championship to boot (46 games then as now, funnily enough), with a squad of 18, on shit pitches, and, supposedly, a much lower knowledge-base of physical training - though, it would appear, much more aspiration. If, anyone is able to wind back the clock, I'd love to know if Alex Stock was whining to the media in a similar vein about dampening down our hopes before the leaves were off the trees - he'd have killed, I'm sure, to be working under modern management conditions. Either way, the likes of Dave Clement and Mick Leach would, I'll wager, be shaking their ghostly heads!
[Post edited 25 Sep 2021 0:38]

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Warburton post-match interview on 20:49 - Sep 25 with 2000 viewsJuzzie

I stopped listening ages ago to player/manger post match interviews because it’s all cliched sound bites. They’re not going to say what they really think, save that for the dressing room, just want they think we want to hear that’s all nicey nicey.

Henderson said after the Brentford game today “this is a difficult place to come”… how? It’s been open all of 5 mins and just three games hosted in the PL where they have won, lost and drawn. It’s just trained auto-spiel.

[Post edited 25 Sep 2021 20:52]
Warburton post-match interview on 20:53 - Sep 25 with 1978 viewsLongsufferingR

Warburton post-match interview on 20:49 - Sep 25 by Juzzie

I stopped listening ages ago to player/manger post match interviews because it’s all cliched sound bites. They’re not going to say what they really think, save that for the dressing room, just want they think we want to hear that’s all nicey nicey.

Henderson said after the Brentford game today “this is a difficult place to come”… how? It’s been open all of 5 mins and just three games hosted in the PL where they have won, lost and drawn. It’s just trained auto-spiel.

[Post edited 25 Sep 2021 20:52]

Well, to be fair to him, that's a good 6 hour coach journey from Liverpool involving three motorways, speed cameras on the M4 flyover and it's a bugger of a place to park a coach.
Warburton post-match interview on 20:59 - Sep 25 with 1960 viewsRangers67

Agree with the OP. We made mistakes that cost us and changed our style , big mistake
Warburton post-match interview on 22:08 - Sep 25 with 1885 viewszizoustainrod

Warburton post-match interview on 01:05 - Sep 25 by BrianMcCarthy

To answer your question, yes - some will think you're over re-acting. I'd be one of them.

Tactics are subjective, but I would agree with Warburton that we had to play a different style tonight. His usual style has failed in the past against high-line and gegenpress, he addressed that and we were one up inside a minute.

I thought we did very well away from home against a talented team, did very well, but fell short, and the better team on the night won. No shame.

As for his comments on fitness, I think we know by now that he manages our players' fitness far better than most managers we've had of late. Our injury record is far better than most teams, and so is our fitness as we finish games stronger than most.

We've all suffered through some managers who've injured our players, and some who've played players when injured, and some who've done both.

In sports we try to steal an edge on our opponents, our present opponents, not on history.

We steal an edge where we can get one, a nick where a nick is possible. Of course we can play the same 11, twice a week, for the whole season. But the oppo won't, and they'll be fresher, and they'll win more than we will.

Also, I would think that our heroes like Clement, Leach and many others would have liked to be treated better than they were - many retired early, crippled, concussed and poorer than they should have been.

We lost a game tonight. That's all.

Excellent post Brian.
I typed up something similar but it got lost in the posting. To try and compare today's training and fitness requirements to the 1960s demonstrates a laughable lack of understanding.
Also the fine margins comment is so true. Those margins went for us during our good runs. they aren't at the moment.
Warburton post-match interview on 22:13 - Sep 25 with 1880 viewszizoustainrod

Warburton post-match interview on 01:22 - Sep 25 by stainrods_elbow

I didn't ask 'you' (either individually or the board as a whole) if I was over-reacting, Brian; I was decently self-reflective enough to mention that some might think I was. That doesn't mean they're right in my eyes, fairly obviously.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2021 1:24]

Thank you for clearing that up. So this is all really about you rather than a valid football discussion.
Warburton post-match interview on 22:24 - Sep 25 with 1865 viewshoopedmonkey

Warburton post-match interview on 22:13 - Sep 25 by zizoustainrod

Thank you for clearing that up. So this is all really about you rather than a valid football discussion.

It's all about you it's all about you baby!
Warburton post-match interview on 23:40 - Sep 25 with 1813 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

Warburton post-match interview on 14:30 - Sep 25 by stainrods_elbow

Sadly so, but real (fan) love often requires a kind of passionate antagonism to get at the truth. We're part of a football club - a raging church like the blue and white sea itself, not a feckin' loved-up, pre-programmed cult.

Aren't we?
[Post edited 25 Sep 2021 14:39]

I can see the passionate antagonism, but you ever getting near to the truth using that method or even saying anything useful I doubt.
Warburton post-match interview on 00:11 - Sep 26 with 1786 viewsstainrods_elbow

Warburton post-match interview on 23:40 - Sep 25 by Spaghetti_Hoops

I can see the passionate antagonism, but you ever getting near to the truth using that method or even saying anything useful I doubt.

Thanks for that blanket dismissal of everything I write, which is a lot - some of which people agree with and value, and others challenge, qualify or question. Feel free to post again when you've got something interesting to say - otherwise, why bother?

Login to get fewer ads

Warburton post-match interview on 00:14 - Sep 26 with 1785 viewsstainrods_elbow

Warburton post-match interview on 22:13 - Sep 25 by zizoustainrod

No, I didn't mean it that way, obviously, as I love to engage and be engaged with here on this board (and do and sometimes am). Though a lot of the time we're really talking to/about ourselves in life, I think, even and especially when we think we're being objective. Some people do so more interestingly than others, that's all.

Warburton post-match interview on 14:45 - Sep 27 with 1595 viewsfrancisbowles

Warburton post-match interview on 13:54 - Sep 25 by PinnerPaul

Gary didn't play v Everton and Dunne has hardly played all season.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2021 13:56]

As I said Gray being shattered due to lack of first team matches.

Dunne played against Everton and having 'hardly played all season' would almost certainly have fatigue issues playing two full games in three days.

It's something we the club, in common with the rest of the league have to deal with but it's also something we fans should understand is difficult. It needs to be managed as well as possible and when the squad is stretched it is hard to avoid even more injuries, as it is not easy to rest or rotate.
Warburton post-match interview on 14:50 - Sep 27 with 1581 viewsdaveB

it's mental rather than physical fatigue which sees players switch off late in the second game in quick succession and making mistakes. Thats the issue with playing every couple of days and why teams at the top are usually the ones with the biggest squads who can cope with it.
Warburton post-match interview on 16:01 - Sep 27 with 1525 viewsPinnerPaul

Warburton post-match interview on 14:50 - Sep 27 by daveB

it's mental rather than physical fatigue which sees players switch off late in the second game in quick succession and making mistakes. Thats the issue with playing every couple of days and why teams at the top are usually the ones with the biggest squads who can cope with it.

I'm obviously a bit of a lone voice here, but as I pointed out on another thread

Tues night - Fri Night is longer between KOs than Weds night - Sat afternoon - and that has been for years and is today, played by countless teams up and down the land at all levels!

Just don't get Warburton's apparent obsession with it.
Warburton post-match interview on 18:17 - Sep 27 with 1458 viewsgolborne

Warburton post-match interview on 16:01 - Sep 27 by PinnerPaul

I'm obviously a bit of a lone voice here, but as I pointed out on another thread

Tues night - Fri Night is longer between KOs than Weds night - Sat afternoon - and that has been for years and is today, played by countless teams up and down the land at all levels!

I think he just continually labels it, hoping that the EFL listen at some point. International breaks compound the issue, rather than help. I do however make him right in what he is saying. Look at Fulham, one minute they were looking like they'd be lifting the title by Xmas, then they're struggling. I think this chaotic schedule is what often makes this league so unpredictable.
Warburton post-match interview on 18:39 - Sep 27 with 1428 viewsBrianMcCarthy

You're not alone. He went through a spell last Winter where he mentioned it in every interview and I found it negative and wondered how it could be helpful.

There surely comes a point where repetition, even of facts, becomes counter-productive?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Warburton post-match interview on 19:19 - Sep 27 with 1398 viewsfrancisbowles

Yes it has been but when it happens week after week after week, is when it really becomes a problem.

You can't consistently be as fresh and enthusiastic about something when you are tired and keep having to do it.
Warburton post-match interview on 19:31 - Sep 27 with 1377 viewssoops

I’m a big fan of Warburton and think he displays a lot of examples of good man management.... however, I think this is one he has got wrong and doesn’t set the players up well to cope with the tiredness if psychologically they’ve been convinced by the manager that they should be struggling.
Warburton post-match interview on 13:21 - Sep 28 with 1286 viewsPinnerPaul

Warburton post-match interview on 18:17 - Sep 27 by golborne

I think he just continually labels it, hoping that the EFL listen at some point. International breaks compound the issue, rather than help. I do however make him right in what he is saying. Look at Fulham, one minute they were looking like they'd be lifting the title by Xmas, then they're struggling. I think this chaotic schedule is what often makes this league so unpredictable.

What are the EFL supposed to do about it?

Leagues up and down the country play Weds/Saturday, its not new!
Warburton post-match interview on 13:22 - Sep 28 with 1277 viewsPinnerPaul

Warburton post-match interview on 19:19 - Sep 27 by francisbowles

Yes it has been but when it happens week after week after week, is when it really becomes a problem.

You can't consistently be as fresh and enthusiastic about something when you are tired and keep having to do it.

Except lo and behold we have an international break coming up and he 'mentioned' the fact that we lose several players!
Warburton post-match interview on 13:24 - Sep 28 with 1270 viewsfrancisbowles

Warburton post-match interview on 13:21 - Sep 28 by PinnerPaul

What are the EFL supposed to do about it?

Leagues up and down the country play Weds/Saturday, its not new!

But the Championship has more scheduled midweek games than the others. League One and Two are scheduled to carry on in international breaks and the Prem has eight less games.
Warburton post-match interview on 14:39 - Sep 28 with 1230 viewsPinnerPaul

Warburton post-match interview on 13:24 - Sep 28 by francisbowles

But the Championship has more scheduled midweek games than the others. League One and Two are scheduled to carry on in international breaks and the Prem has eight less games.

Yessssss, but again what can the EFL do about that?
Warburton post-match interview on 15:06 - Sep 28 with 1218 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

There are various aspects to this which Warburton seems rightly not to like.

Firstly playing twice a week, week after week, is known to reduce player performance. Everybody is getting a worse product as a result. It increases injuries. And if you have a small squad it is also a competitive disadvantage.

Over the season you can say it's the same for everyone. But Warburton is expected in interviews and media to at least go through the motions in explaining defeats. West Brom had 6 days rest and prep for our game, we had 3 days following Everton. This was probably an important factor in the tactics we chose and us tiring late in the game. As perhaps the most important factor with Dieng's mistake why wouldn't he say it as it is?

Perhaps we will benefit by having longer between games against some opponents. The longer we stay in cup competitions the less likely that will be. Which is why many clubs make wholesale changes and only a token effort in cups.

What to do about it. The obvious thing. Reduce the size of divisions. Which is entirely in the EFL's hands.
Warburton post-match interview on 15:14 - Sep 28 with 1205 viewsPinnerPaul

Warburton post-match interview on 15:06 - Sep 28 by Spaghetti_Hoops

Firstly playing twice a week, week after week, is known to reduce player performance. Everybody is getting a worse product as a result. It increases injuries. And if you have a small squad it is also a competitive disadvantage.

Over the season you can say it's the same for everyone. But Warburton is expected in interviews and media to at least go through the motions in explaining defeats. West Brom had 6 days rest and prep for our game, we had 3 days following Everton. This was probably an important factor in the tactics we chose and us tiring late in the game. As perhaps the most important factor with Dieng's mistake why wouldn't he say it as it is?

Perhaps we will benefit by having longer between games against some opponents. The longer we stay in cup competitions the less likely that will be. Which is why many clubs make wholesale changes and only a token effort in cups.

What to do about it. The obvious thing. Reduce the size of divisions. Which is entirely in the EFL's hands.

Chuck people out of the league - that will go down well!

My point is that there will be games when we have more rest than oppo - well, well tonight is one such occasion - strangely he never mentions that!

We, for example have two home games coming up - Forest go to Barnsley and then away to Birmingham.

When we had a whole two away fixtures in a row - he erm mentioned it - again!
Warburton post-match interview on 15:55 - Sep 28 with 1167 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

Warburton post-match interview on 15:14 - Sep 28 by PinnerPaul

Chuck people out of the league - that will go down well!

My point is that there will be games when we have more rest than oppo - well, well tonight is one such occasion - strangely he never mentions that!

We, for example have two home games coming up - Forest go to Barnsley and then away to Birmingham.

When we had a whole two away fixtures in a row - he erm mentioned it - again!

Well I suppose he could blame the officials instead.
Warburton post-match interview on 16:16 - Sep 28 with 1149 viewsNorthernr

Warburton post-match interview on 15:06 - Sep 28 by Spaghetti_Hoops

Good post. I actually thought the plan they came up with the other year for smaller leagues, accomplished by splitting league two into two regional divisions, with less midweek games, more space for cup games to breathe to stop the devaluing of that, was a really good one. Lasted about a week before getting ditched.

The hangover from the Shaun Harvey era of making you play your long distance games midweek exacerbates it further. And you’re right, it does disadvantage the teams that can only afford to support a small squad versus those with parachute payments who can handle a bigger one - look at the West Brom and Bournemouth benches compared to ours.
Warburton post-match interview on 15:58 - Sep 29 with 990 viewsPinnerPaul

Warburton post-match interview on 15:55 - Sep 28 by Spaghetti_Hoops

Well I suppose he could blame the officials instead.

Yes good point - makes a change from that at least!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024