Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The problem is obvious... 21:47 - Oct 23 with 1159 viewsMyke

... the solution not so much. If you concede two or more goals per game (as we have done in ten league and cup games), it is very difficult to get anything out of them. to our credit we have in half of them -Middlesboro, Barnsley, Reading, Preston and Everton. But of course it is not sustainable. After a while either one of two things happens; Eether the defence tightens up and the team has an upward trajectory, or the goals dry up at the other end and the numbers in the 'lost' column start to stack up. Unfortunately it is the latter for us and the problem has been exacerbated by the lack of potency in front of goal, particularly from Austin and Gray.

But let us not allow this prolificacy in front of goal to distract us from the real problem, as much as Warburton might like us to focus on it. The stats don't lie and racking up 27 or 28 consecutive games in which we have scored at least once is a phenomenal achievement . The problem clearly lies further back, because even only scoring one goal should secure at least a draw some of the time, yet against Bristol City, Bournemouth, WBA, Peterboro and Fulham (emphatically) it failed to do so.

So, as I said in the intro, identifying the main issue is easy (although, like an alcoholic, unless you are prepared to take the first step in admitting there is a problem, there is no possibility of a solution). Some feel the return of Sam Field will automatically solve the problem, but I am less than convinced of this. Field seems to be a good player and has physical attributes that should help, but heavens above, the lack of big strong lads In our defence or deep-lying midfield is not an issue. Ball, Jorgi, Dunne and Dickie are all well able to take care of themselves in most physical battles, so the problem (and by extension the solution) lies elsewhere.

For me, the lack of pace among the back three and central-midfield is the primary problem, and hopefully Field's return will help that somewhat. But this slowness causes a two -fold problem. The obvious one is that when teams attack us with pace and purpose, cut through us very easily, Peterboro and Fulham the most recent examples of that, but there have been numerous others. Secondly, with Warburton's passion for building out from the back, the lack of pace in the centre of defence/midfield means that it is far easier for the oppos to impose a high press and cause individual errors like Dickie's against Bournemoth, which was a complete game -changer as we had dominated the opening ten. Individual errors result in goals, result in less confidence both individually and collectively. Less confidence, increases the risk of individual errors and on and on it goes.

So if we can't change our defensive personnel too much, how can we reduce our 'goals against' column? I think the most common consensus regarding our turnaround last season, apart from the success of the four loan signings (all our players now), was the new, more pragmatic approach from Warburton. Knocking it long earlier basically. Charlie coming deep, demanding a longer, more direct ball and spraying it wide, left and right to get our attack moving. We seem to abandoned that again now. We seem to have to always play out from the back, which even against zero pressing from Blackburn, was excruciatingly slow. Why Charlie has gone into his shell and is no longer doing what he was doing last season is open to conjecture - unfit/ carrying a knock/can't be arsed - take your pick. But if he is not doing it, we have others more than capable of playing that role, Dykes immediately springs to mind, but Chair or Willock could also. If we were to move the ball quicker out of defence, at least some of the time it would not only put the oppos on the back foot, from an attacking perspective, but would leave us less open to being ran through also as we would be much less predictable to play against.
Whatever the solution, we need to find one.
The problem is obvious... on 04:07 - Oct 24 with 951 viewssuperhoopdownunder

We are outside the playoffs in seventh place. We are well placed for a play off challenge.
However we seem to have lost our mojo.
What is the problem?

Some random thoughts.

We have signed a lot of players that were not playing or were injured for their previous teams. This has probably been why we have been able to recruit them (at a lower cost). However these players seem to be injured a lot or struggle to last a full game.

We seem to want to play the ball out of defence all the time and not mix it up which we did more of in the second half of last season.

Johansen, Austin. De Wijs are not as effective as they were when on loan last season.
Field and Wallace seem to be injured nearly all the time.
Moses is not good enough.

The main players Austin and Johansen seem less motivated / fit this season.

Is our formation costing us?
We seem to struggle when we play two up front.
Should we bolster the midfield with an extra player as that is where we have been outplayed recently?

We seem to lack pace across the park and have been exposed.

Way too many individual mistakes have been made costing us a lot of goals that we have conceded.

I am not sure what the answer is but don't believe we are reaching our potential - maybe my expectations this season were too high.

Anyway I hope we can sort this out very soon.

QPR - it is the hope that kills you

U R's
[Post edited 24 Oct 2021 5:59]
The problem is obvious... on 07:11 - Oct 24 with 829 viewstraininvain

The problem is obvious... on 04:07 - Oct 24 by superhoopdownunder

We are outside the playoffs in seventh place. We are well placed for a play off challenge.
What is the problem?

Some random thoughts.

We have signed a lot of players that were not playing or were injured for their previous teams. This has probably been why we have been able to recruit them (at a lower cost). However these players seem to be injured a lot or struggle to last a full game.

We seem to want to play the ball out of defence all the time and not mix it up which we did more of in the second half of last season.

Johansen, Austin. De Wijs are not as effective as they were when on loan last season.

Should we bolster the midfield with an extra player as that is where we have been outplayed recently?

Way too many individual mistakes have been made costing us a lot of goals that we have conceded.

I am not sure what the answer is but don't believe we are reaching our potential - maybe my expectations this season were too high.

U R's

We could start but not conceding the same goal from a counterattack down our left hand side every bloody week!
The problem is obvious... on 07:40 - Oct 24 with 783 viewsNorthantsHoop

The problem is obvious... on 04:07 - Oct 24 by superhoopdownunder

What is the problem?

Some random thoughts.

U R's

On reflection about yesterday's game it probably
is where we are as a team, still progressing, but not consistent. Lack of pace at the back and vulnerable to fast attacking players like Dembele. Can Warburton with the players he has got change the formation, will have to wait and see. I would prefer us to go to a 4-4-2 or a 4-5-1 when we go ahead in 2nd half of games like yesterday and go for a bit of game management to frustrate opponents, rather than be so open and invite them onto us.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2021 7:44]
The problem is obvious... on 08:21 - Oct 24 with 704 viewsenfieldargh

We play with 2 high wing backs, first half McCallum failed with almost every cross, Albert only slightly better.

2nd Half Mcallum 's contribution was zero whilst AA was our only threat yet his crossing was not great.

Austin & Dykes are being hung out to dry. The lack of service to them is for me our biggest problem.

passing along the back gives us a fair amount of possession stats but it isn't going to hurt anyone and teams are wise to this.

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

The problem is obvious... on 08:44 - Oct 24 with 642 viewsdavman

The problem is obvious... on 08:21 - Oct 24 by enfieldargh

We play with 2 high wing backs, first half McCallum failed with almost every cross, Albert only slightly better.

2nd Half Mcallum 's contribution was zero whilst AA was our only threat yet his crossing was not great.

Austin & Dykes are being hung out to dry. The lack of service to them is for me our biggest problem.

passing along the back gives us a fair amount of possession stats but it isn't going to hurt anyone and teams are wise to this.

I was waiting for the "our strikers were hung out to dry" and the "they were isolated". Irrespective of how poor our crossing was (which it was), there was ZERO movement in front of our defenders and midfield for most of the game. Dykes made a couple of runs to try to get in behind, but Austin did not. Then, when in on goal, they missed a sitter each.

Myke makes a great point about how much Charlie demanded the ball in deeper positions last season and I think most of us were a bit surprised on how much he had changed his all round game for the better, but that has stopped. No idea why, but without that and without goals, he is offering nothing at all to the team right now.

The lack of pace at the back has been exposed too, we are so high at the moment that a ball over the top absolutely kills us again and again. I like Jimmy Dunne, but it looks to me that Jordy demands less of a high line, organises much, much better and is more aware. We get caught out over the top much less when he is in the team.

The Midfield is also not covering back leaving the defence high and dry on many occasions.

As Warbs says, it was a terrible day at the office yesterday, so let's get back on the horse on Tuesday.

One up top please. Drop Austin and Dunne for Willock and Jordy, get Ball to sit in front of the back 3 instead of wandering around.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

The problem is obvious... on 09:18 - Oct 24 with 572 viewsozexile

The problem is obvious... on 08:44 - Oct 24 by davman

I was waiting for the "our strikers were hung out to dry" and the "they were isolated". Irrespective of how poor our crossing was (which it was), there was ZERO movement in front of our defenders and midfield for most of the game. Dykes made a couple of runs to try to get in behind, but Austin did not. Then, when in on goal, they missed a sitter each.

Myke makes a great point about how much Charlie demanded the ball in deeper positions last season and I think most of us were a bit surprised on how much he had changed his all round game for the better, but that has stopped. No idea why, but without that and without goals, he is offering nothing at all to the team right now.

The lack of pace at the back has been exposed too, we are so high at the moment that a ball over the top absolutely kills us again and again. I like Jimmy Dunne, but it looks to me that Jordy demands less of a high line, organises much, much better and is more aware. We get caught out over the top much less when he is in the team.

The Midfield is also not covering back leaving the defence high and dry on many occasions.

As Warbs says, it was a terrible day at the office yesterday, so let's get back on the horse on Tuesday.

One up top please. Drop Austin and Dunne for Willock and Jordy, get Ball to sit in front of the back 3 instead of wandering around.

This.
The problem is obvious... on 09:44 - Oct 24 with 528 viewshantssi

The problem is obvious... on 07:11 - Oct 24 by traininvain

We could start but not conceding the same goal from a counterattack down our left hand side every bloody week!

This.
They looked likely to score from every break, we on the other hand went from side to side and backwards for most of the game.
No wonder our possession stats look so good each game but it’s what you do with the possession that counts.
I was bitterly disappointed but not really surprised by yesterday.
The problem is obvious... on 09:54 - Oct 24 with 513 viewsdmm

For me, the overall 'problem' is Warburton's style of football which leaves us open at the back. This was the case in his previous seasons with us and, I believe, at his previous clubs.

I say this more as an observation than criticism. Most of us love his attacking philosophy of playing football and we've won games late on when going for the win, as well as losing games as we did yesterday.

I don't think he'll change and I don't see the problem being solved until we can afford better players, particularly at wing back. My hope is that the return of Wallace and Field will make enough difference to this season's charge for a top six place.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024