Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Three At Back Not Working 11:44 - Oct 24 with 3686 viewsNorthantsHoop

Pulled apart yet again by pacy attacking players like Dembele, who was very good yesterday. The defensive system needs more adaptation, fine in a three formation with big lumbering sides like Birmingham, Blackburn types, but lack of pace and solidity against quick counter attacking teams has got us undone i.e yesterday, Bournemouth and Bristol City. Warburton needs to think about four at the back for some games and pack five in midfield with one up front, most likely Dykes.
Three At Back Not Working on 13:09 - Oct 25 with 901 viewsdaveB

Three At Back Not Working on 13:03 - Oct 25 by BazzeR

When the team were forced to play 4 at the back during the games against Middlesbrough,Orient and Everton was the defence worse ? If so I didn’t notice.

Good teams/players and managers should be able to mix things up by changing formation depending on the oppositions strengths and weakness.

Against Orient we were all over the place. Didn't think we switched to a back 4 in the other 2
Three At Back Not Working on 13:16 - Oct 25 with 892 viewsBazzeR

Three At Back Not Working on 13:09 - Oct 25 by daveB

Against Orient we were all over the place. Didn't think we switched to a back 4 in the other 2

I don’t think we went to a back 4..I know we did.
Three At Back Not Working on 13:22 - Oct 25 with 885 viewssteveo04

Three At Back Not Working on 13:16 - Oct 25 by BazzeR

I don’t think we went to a back 4..I know we did.

Orient and Middlesbrough we stayed with the 3 , Barnsley , Reading we went to a four and actually scored 4 with conceding 0 and getting a point from both . The Everton game we went to a four cause McCallum went off injured and actually stopped Everton attack .
Three At Back Not Working on 13:29 - Oct 25 with 873 viewsBazzeR

Three At Back Not Working on 13:22 - Oct 25 by steveo04

Orient and Middlesbrough we stayed with the 3 , Barnsley , Reading we went to a four and actually scored 4 with conceding 0 and getting a point from both . The Everton game we went to a four cause McCallum went off injured and actually stopped Everton attack .

Same at Boro because Moses was sent off

Barbet came off at Orient and Kellman replaced him.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2021 13:39]
Three At Back Not Working on 15:23 - Oct 25 with 787 viewsHAYESBOY

Prefer 3 CB's.

Sometimes you just lose a game because you play badly, or the team you play are better on the day. Wasn't the system.
If you play a back four, how do you fit in Willock & Chair? They are not wingers.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Three At Back Not Working on 16:27 - Oct 25 with 751 viewssteveo04

Three At Back Not Working on 13:29 - Oct 25 by BazzeR

Same at Boro because Moses was sent off

Barbet came off at Orient and Kellman replaced him.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2021 13:39]

Against Boro after Moses got sent off Kakay replaced chair so kept 3411 then Dunne replaced Wallace so Barbet pushed to left wing back and Dunne to the back three ( like West Brom game )

Against orient when we brought on Kelman for barbet we put Kakay ( started right wing back ) into the back 3 and pushed Moses to right wing back ( he come on for Wallace at HT ) as we was having a mare and Albert went to left wing back
[Post edited 25 Oct 2021 16:28]
Three At Back Not Working on 16:32 - Oct 25 with 740 viewssteveo04

Three At Back Not Working on 15:23 - Oct 25 by HAYESBOY

Prefer 3 CB's.

Sometimes you just lose a game because you play badly, or the team you play are better on the day. Wasn't the system.
If you play a back four, how do you fit in Willock & Chair? They are not wingers.

You play Chair and Willock off the front striker like they do now . If you go 433 you get a sitter ( Field or Ball ) then you get the extra legs in midfield to help stef with either Amos / Dozzell / Thomas or Ball then you keep the Chair Willock around the striker
[Post edited 25 Oct 2021 16:55]
Three At Back Not Working on 21:08 - Oct 25 with 659 viewsHAYESBOY

Three At Back Not Working on 16:32 - Oct 25 by steveo04

You play Chair and Willock off the front striker like they do now . If you go 433 you get a sitter ( Field or Ball ) then you get the extra legs in midfield to help stef with either Amos / Dozzell / Thomas or Ball then you keep the Chair Willock around the striker
[Post edited 25 Oct 2021 16:55]

Then I think you get pushed back in the wide areas because wing backs play higher up the pitch. Full backs will obviously be deeper.

I'm not saying its not worth trying, but we lose one game and the system is wrong, we win games and no one complains about the system.

Login to get fewer ads

Three At Back Not Working on 22:12 - Oct 25 with 633 viewsstainrods_elbow

Three At Back Not Working on 15:23 - Oct 25 by HAYESBOY

Prefer 3 CB's.

You play Chair in the hole/no 10 role, which is his best position, and potentially push WiIllock up off the centre forward, as we did against Everton. We do need Field back and/or Amos in a midfield berth, I think, to strengthen our spine, but a key factor is going to be the return of Wallace, either at LB or LWB.

Despite his uncharacteristically poor deliveries, I thought Albert was one of the very few to come out of Peterborough with a modicum of credit, as he got up and down, took up some good positions, and also chased back and made one or two effective tackles and blocks. He's a key starter for me, and, God help us, he's not that old.

So, we could go 4-3-1-2 or 3-4-1-2, though it doesn't matter what system we play if we do without intensity, snap and dynamism, as were criminally lacking against both Fulham and Posh in front of fantastic away support. No system, unfortunately, will inject pace into our centre backs, compsure into Dom Ball (though I thought he also did better than most against Peterborough) or a new engine into Austin, though. Clearly, however we throw the dice, we have issues.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2021 22:16]

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Three At Back Not Working on 22:26 - Oct 25 with 623 viewsHAYESBOY

With a 4-3-3, this would be is all fit:

Moses Dickie Barbet MacCallum/Wallace

Field Johansen Amos

Willock Chair
Dykes.

I wouldn't mind that team having a go. You just lose a bit of width higher up the pitch.
IMO I still like wing backs getting forward with 2 in the midfield.

Three At Back Not Working on 23:12 - Oct 25 with 587 viewsWatfordR

Three At Back Not Working on 22:26 - Oct 25 by HAYESBOY

With a 4-3-3, this would be is all fit:

Moses Dickie Barbet MacCallum/Wallace

Field Johansen Amos

Willock Chair
Dykes.

I wouldn't mind that team having a go. You just lose a bit of width higher up the pitch.
IMO I still like wing backs getting forward with 2 in the midfield.

IMO, one wing back up per attack, not both.

3CBs, one wing back, one central midfielder sitting. You've then got Dykes, Chair, Willock, Jojo and one of McCallum or Odubajo/Kakay/Albert forward. Pace in the attack and the second wing back isn't needed.
Three At Back Not Working on 08:55 - Oct 26 with 486 viewsHastings_Hoops

We need to be a bit more unpredictable. Start some games with a back four and some with a back five and adapt during the game if needed (eg Reading and Barnsley).

I wonder if Barbet could play a defensive midfield role which would allow a bit of flexibility within games while Field (the obvious candidate for that role) is injured.
Three At Back Not Working on 09:52 - Oct 26 with 466 viewsderbyhoop

Could the problem be Johansen running out of legs.
The normal sub has involved removing Ball. Might be better to bring on Dozzell or Amos (or Duke-McKenna) for SJ?

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Three At Back Not Working on 10:01 - Oct 26 with 449 viewsBAWHoops

You can play 4 at the back, but you'd then need to have a midfielder as a screen sitting infront of the CB's and dropping in there the second the wing backs move up, essentially becoming a back 3

...................Dieng.............
Moses.....Dickie....Barbet....Wallace
...................Ball......................
...........Johansen...Amos.............
.......Willock...Dykes...Chair...........

Willock and Chair wouldn't play as wingers but up with Dykes

To be honest it isn't particularly different to what we play at the moment.

We look at our best when Willock and Chair combine on the left or when Dickie moves up with the ball in the right channel.
We are hugely missing Wallace as well who knows exactly when to move up and when to drop back. His intelligence on the field is key to making it all work

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024