Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Offside 23:47 - Oct 26 with 12325 viewsdaveB

I try to stay off this board for a few hours after we lose, emotions are always high and tend to think in the cold light of day I can take a step back and try to give a reasonable response to a performance both good and bad but tonight honestly I don't know how I am going to sleep after seeing that Austin goal. That was a scandalous robbery by Stroud, not even close I can't get my head around what he thinks he's seen.

I don't care about how bad the penalties were, what we did well and badly in the other 95 minutes of that game, that one decision has killed me
[Post edited 26 Oct 2021 23:48]
Offside on 04:25 - Oct 27 with 2864 viewsessextaxiboy

Offside on 00:36 - Oct 27 by LythamR

at the moment its an unfathomable decision, I am really hoping that a reasonable explanation will eventually emerge. imagine if this was the last game of the season and we had needed 3 points to make 6th place!

The only explanation I have seen is that the first player(Dykes) to touch the ball after the cross is headed away was in an off side position when the cross comes in . He is not in an offside position when he touches it and of course it came from an opponent . If the phase of play changes when its cleared then its a goal. if it doesnt then as soon as our player becomes active and seeks to gain sn advantage (the flag should go up )and it makes the Albert Handball Charlie phase irelevant . I have read the law and cant work it out ...over to Pinner .....IMO its a goal and Stroud should be booted out .He makes every game about him .
[Post edited 27 Oct 2021 4:50]
Offside on 06:38 - Oct 27 with 2735 viewsLandshark

Offside on 00:55 - Oct 27 by Northernr

It’s the first ever LFW 0/10. What’s the fcking point if the referee doesn’t know the rules himself?

Personally I don't think the ref had a bad game. After your preview of him before the game I paid close attention to his decisions and thought they were mainly ok.

I don't believe the conspiracy that he overruled the linesman and told him to stick his flag up.
Offside on 07:01 - Oct 27 with 2689 viewsThe_Beast1976

It takes just one Google search of Keith Stroud to see how many clubs' fans have complained about his crass incompetence over the years. How does he still get a job officiating? In any other business he would be unemployable
Offside on 07:28 - Oct 27 with 2653 viewsRs_Holy

Offside on 06:38 - Oct 27 by Landshark

Personally I don't think the ref had a bad game. After your preview of him before the game I paid close attention to his decisions and thought they were mainly ok.

I don't believe the conspiracy that he overruled the linesman and told him to stick his flag up.

Have to disagree Landshark... he got sooo much wrong last night. Blatant fouls were not given and yet really fair challenges were given as fouls. The other infuriating thing he kept doing was not allowing the advantage to be played. He did this for both teams but it was still annoying because the game lacked a bit of flow and a decent ref would have allowed the game to flow better. I never want to see him (and that lino) within 5 miles of Loftus Road again.
Offside on 08:04 - Oct 27 with 2540 viewsRed_Ranger

Offside on 04:25 - Oct 27 by essextaxiboy

The only explanation I have seen is that the first player(Dykes) to touch the ball after the cross is headed away was in an off side position when the cross comes in . He is not in an offside position when he touches it and of course it came from an opponent . If the phase of play changes when its cleared then its a goal. if it doesnt then as soon as our player becomes active and seeks to gain sn advantage (the flag should go up )and it makes the Albert Handball Charlie phase irelevant . I have read the law and cant work it out ...over to Pinner .....IMO its a goal and Stroud should be booted out .He makes every game about him .

youre right.
in all departments.
very good post.
I suspect Dykes being where he was is how they will try and justify the decision/s.
I,m so ANGRY!!!
Offside on 08:07 - Oct 27 with 2529 viewsRed_Ranger

youre right.
in all departments.
very good post.
I suspect Dykes being where he was is how they will try and justify the decision/s.

What annoys me most is the anti football game stopping fun stopping refereeing all match.
Offside on 08:20 - Oct 27 with 2456 viewstraininvain

Offside on 08:07 - Oct 27 by Red_Ranger

youre right.
in all departments.
very good post.

What annoys me most is the anti football game stopping fun stopping refereeing all match.

If the decision was made because of Dykes then it would have been called a lot earlier. Austin had a look at the lino before celebrating and the flag wasn’t up.

The reality is that the lino saw the Sunderland players appealing (in hope) and guessed than it was the right decision.

I’m not a fan of VAR but after last night I can see why it’s needed.
Offside on 08:47 - Oct 27 with 2283 viewsMaggsinho

Offside on 08:20 - Oct 27 by traininvain

If the decision was made because of Dykes then it would have been called a lot earlier. Austin had a look at the lino before celebrating and the flag wasn’t up.

The reality is that the lino saw the Sunderland players appealing (in hope) and guessed than it was the right decision.

Yes I looked over the link when we scored and he didn’t put his flag up immediately. It was only after a few seconds that he flagged.
Login to get fewer ads

Offside on 08:52 - Oct 27 with 2241 viewsloftus77

Offside on 08:20 - Oct 27 by traininvain

No..No. I'm as gutted as anyone but no to VAR for me - in any circumstances.

What happened last night was as a ‘cock-up’, pure and simple. Human beings got things wrong in a physical, athletic, game. Yep, I really believe that — I don’t think a proven link will emerge from Stroud to the JFK assassination or Lord Lucan.

And that is part of (what once was) a Great Game — as surely as ‘that’ third goal at Wembley in July 1966. Reflect on how VAR would have changed history then…

It’s annoying — it’s incredibly frustrating and it has probably cost us a QF place. But It’s Luck. It Happens. It’s Football. And it DOES cut both ways.

Will SAFC fans be reflecting on injustice today? Would LFW be unanimous in calling for a replay if it was the other way round?

It’s the Game. It’s athletic and things go wrong. It’s part of the emotion which VAR constantly gets in the way of and stymies week in , week out in the Premier League. No thank you.

Human football warts an’ all - Long may it continue.

A final point: Warbs talks about financial implications for the club — has anyone ever thought of where these financial implications come from and who actually drives them? The Saudis, the Malaysians, the Russians, the media tycoons - aren’t these the real villains, not the officials on the pitch earnestly trying to do their jobs in a pressure-cooker atmosphere and sometimes (often) getting it wrong? I'm not a Stroud apologist - but in modern football, where does the real crime(s) actually lie?
Offside on 08:57 - Oct 27 with 2198 viewsstefan54

Sadly, because Dykes came back from an offside position, offside was the correct decision and should have been flagged at the moment he touched the ball. I thought that at the time.
Offside on 08:57 - Oct 27 with 2197 viewsBostonR

I was in SAR with a bunch of mates and it was clearly a goal.

At 85mins the linesman panics. You could see from his reaction and conversation with the ref that he dug himself a huge hole. To make the decision not to give the goal is hard to fathom. It is akin to two pilots crashing the plane when all the instruments are telling them to "pull-up"!
If they award the goal both sets of supporters get on with it - no problem. The EFL and Stroud have to explain to 13,000 fans what the feck happened.
Offside on 09:07 - Oct 27 with 2125 viewsQPR_John

Offside on 00:05 - Oct 27 by Hunterhoop

Indeed. History? Money? Here’s an apology.

It’s actually 3 bad decisions.

1) when Adomah strikes it Austin is onside
2) the defender saves it with his arm so that’s a red and penalty.
3) if you missed that and think it’s come off his chest, arm or head, it’s now a 2nd phase so even if Austin had been offside to begin with (which he wasn’t) he now can’t be because Sunderland played it last.

What makes it worse is the Lino took a few seconds to make the decision. To reach a conclusion of offside, someone is looking at find a way to disallow it. If you take one second to challenge yourself (“was that definitely offside?”) before awarding offside, surely you realise one of the 3 points above?

Surely?!

“ 3) if you missed that and think it’s come off his chest, arm or head, it’s now a 2nd phase so even if Austin had been offside to begin with (which he wasn’t) he now can’t be because Sunderland played it last.”

Was not aware of this change in the offside law until there was an incident on Match of the Day recently. It seems some officials are not aware of the change also.
Offside on 09:14 - Oct 27 with 2071 viewsQPR_John

Offside on 08:57 - Oct 27 by stefan54

Sadly, because Dykes came back from an offside position, offside was the correct decision and should have been flagged at the moment he touched the ball. I thought that at the time.

No once the defender touched the ball before Dykes touched it awhere Dykes was before is irrelevant. in any case if an offence had been committed by Dykes then the flag should have been raised when he touched the ball.
[Post edited 27 Oct 2021 9:19]
Offside on 09:15 - Oct 27 with 2057 viewsGaryT

Offside on 00:58 - Oct 27 by WatfordR

He may not have been directly responsible for the linesman's decision, but he has to be responsible for not giving a penalty and red card to the defender for clearing Albert's shot with his arm, which would render the offside decision irrelevant.

I've never seen the forum so unified in it's outrage.

I went down that road with a comment last night but then deleted it because if the lino thinks Charlie is offside when Adomah strikes the ball, the handball save by the defender is irrelevant. Having stewed on it overnight, and it took a while to get to sleep, I think the lino is looking for a hooped shirt to be ahead of the ball and has mistaken the defender to be the goalkeeper. So this is his view...

...and sees Charlie ahead of Adomah.

The problem is, what is that black blob rolling around the floor? The lino sees Charlie ahead of the ball and he sees the save but something is troubling him so he delays but then he's convinced himself the goalkeeper has made the save and Charlie was ahead of the ball so, flag up.

Or, someone somewhere needed a draw so close attention needs to be paid to the linos bank balance. It wouldn't be the first time.
Offside on 09:19 - Oct 27 with 2029 viewsRs_Holy

Offside on 09:14 - Oct 27 by QPR_John

No once the defender touched the ball before Dykes touched it awhere Dykes was before is irrelevant. in any case if an offence had been committed by Dykes then the flag should have been raised when he touched the ball.
[Post edited 27 Oct 2021 9:19]

this
[Post edited 27 Oct 2021 9:21]
Offside on 09:35 - Oct 27 with 1925 viewsfrancisbowles

If it had been Dykes (it clearly wasn't) then the linesman would have to move back up the pitch and raise his flag where that 'incident' occured. He didn't, he stood still and waited seconds before raising it. My thoughts were that Stroud overruled him, hence the long delay.
Offside on 09:36 - Oct 27 with 1905 viewsBostonR

Offside on 09:35 - Oct 27 by francisbowles

If it had been Dykes (it clearly wasn't) then the linesman would have to move back up the pitch and raise his flag where that 'incident' occured. He didn't, he stood still and waited seconds before raising it. My thoughts were that Stroud overruled him, hence the long delay.

I agree - clearly Stroud took the decision. Absolutely mental!
Offside on 09:38 - Oct 27 with 1891 viewsWatfordR

Offside on 09:15 - Oct 27 by GaryT

I went down that road with a comment last night but then deleted it because if the lino thinks Charlie is offside when Adomah strikes the ball, the handball save by the defender is irrelevant. Having stewed on it overnight, and it took a while to get to sleep, I think the lino is looking for a hooped shirt to be ahead of the ball and has mistaken the defender to be the goalkeeper. So this is his view...

The problem is, what is that black blob rolling around the floor? The lino sees Charlie ahead of the ball and he sees the save but something is troubling him so he delays but then he's convinced himself the goalkeeper has made the save and Charlie was ahead of the ball so, flag up.

Or, someone somewhere needed a draw so close attention needs to be paid to the linos bank balance. It wouldn't be the first time.

Given the delay in flagging, I’d bet the Lino has heard the 4th official shouting “offside” to Warbs over the Mike, and gone with it. Presumably the 4th official should here his mic off unless he has something to say to the ref/linos.

Whatever, the officials have come to the wrong decision and it’s hard to describe it as being anything other than incompetent.

I’ve been attending football matches up an down the country for nearly 50 years, and I can’t think I’ve seen a single worse piece of all round officiating.

Rangers should appeal and threaten legal action if necessary. The Football League are responsible for providing officials that are fit for purpose and there is plenty of video evidence to support the claim that they were anything but. Significant loss of future earnings caused.
Offside on 09:44 - Oct 27 with 1841 viewsRangers67

I really struggle to understand fans on this forum who say Oh well sh*t happens lets move on or complaining will do us no good blah blah blah. Either you want the game to improve through better standards of refereeing or you are willing to put up with this rubbish for ever. Warburton was spot on and of course is now probably going to be pulled up for having the front to speak the truth, something we know from experience the football authorities in this country don,t like. Can you imagine the furore if this had happened to one of the so called big clubs.
I have witnessed sadly a very steady decline in the standard of refereeing over many years while the authorities are happy to ignore it. It,s the easy way out , lets just ignore it and it will go away soon.
I think QPR are well within their rights to demand compensation for loss of revenue due to the officials incompetence and sue the EFL for overseeing the appalling standard of refereeing in this country.
But of course we all know those people in their ivory towers who trouser vast sums of money for being incompetent will do nothing.
Offside on 09:52 - Oct 27 with 1762 viewsPhilmyRs

Offside on 08:52 - Oct 27 by loftus77

No..No. I'm as gutted as anyone but no to VAR for me - in any circumstances.

What happened last night was as a ‘cock-up’, pure and simple. Human beings got things wrong in a physical, athletic, game. Yep, I really believe that — I don’t think a proven link will emerge from Stroud to the JFK assassination or Lord Lucan.

And that is part of (what once was) a Great Game — as surely as ‘that’ third goal at Wembley in July 1966. Reflect on how VAR would have changed history then…

It’s annoying — it’s incredibly frustrating and it has probably cost us a QF place. But It’s Luck. It Happens. It’s Football. And it DOES cut both ways.

Will SAFC fans be reflecting on injustice today? Would LFW be unanimous in calling for a replay if it was the other way round?

It’s the Game. It’s athletic and things go wrong. It’s part of the emotion which VAR constantly gets in the way of and stymies week in , week out in the Premier League. No thank you.

Human football warts an’ all - Long may it continue.

A final point: Warbs talks about financial implications for the club — has anyone ever thought of where these financial implications come from and who actually drives them? The Saudis, the Malaysians, the Russians, the media tycoons - aren’t these the real villains, not the officials on the pitch earnestly trying to do their jobs in a pressure-cooker atmosphere and sometimes (often) getting it wrong? I'm not a Stroud apologist - but in modern football, where does the real crime(s) actually lie?

Just to be pedantic I don't think VAR would have got involved in 66 - goal line tech would have decided that one.

I'm not a fan of VAR and hated it earlier on but how it was used in the euros, I warmed to it a bit - e.g. only interupt when it's clear and obvious otherwise let it flow. Yesterday we would have won if the ref could have gone and looked at the video. I'm still 50/50 on it but incidents like yesterday make you think...
Offside on 09:57 - Oct 27 with 1715 viewsdaveB

On reflection I blame the man who headed the ball from Ellerslie early on and smacked it straight in the linos bollocks
Offside on 10:03 - Oct 27 with 1687 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Offside on 09:15 - Oct 27 by GaryT

I think you’re being very generous. It’a terrible decision. Ridiculous. I was sat near the halfway line so couldn’t tell at the time but it felt wrong even then.

Having an ex-player breaking away in the last minute and scoring a great winner is one thing (Nahki). This is something else.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Offside on 10:08 - Oct 27 with 1622 viewsRBlock

Offside on 08:57 - Oct 27 by stefan54

That's wrong. Dykes is coming back from an offside position and isn't active, so he isn't offside at that point. He is onside when the defender plays it, which means it is a new phase of play as the defender plays it deliberately (by my reading of the LOTG). Therefore Dykes is onside. And this is all a nonsense anyway because that's not when the flag went up and that's not what the offside was given for - it is clear as day that the lino just violently shit the bed.
Offside on 10:20 - Oct 27 with 1569 viewsAntti_Heinola

I'm much angrier this morning than I was last night because this is a catalogue of awful decisions. VAr is irrelevant here - VAR should be about marginal decisions that it is difficult for a linesman to see. This was not difficult. Charlie isn't even level. It's not even close. And even then, it is an absolutely blatant penalty. The linesman stood there, flag in odd position, unsure what to do, and eventually flagged. I have no idea what that delay was about, but it was diabolical.

Bare bones.

Offside on 10:26 - Oct 27 with 1532 viewsSK_hoops

Hand of god level bad decision. Ruined the last couple of days of my week off. Still as livid as I was last night.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024