Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Finding Jack Charlton 13:46 - Nov 8 with 2351 viewsflynnbo

Just finished watching this. Didn't see much of his playing career for Leeds and England but recall his management time at Boro and Ireland. A fascinating programme and very moving on several fronts. Apologies if this has been posted before.
Finding Jack Charlton on 14:16 - Nov 8 with 2277 viewsBklynRanger

Yeah watched it last night - dementia is such terrible disease - really felt for him and his wife.

Quite a lot of focus on his relationship with Bobby understandably - quite different people which seemed to put its own pressures on their relationship as the years passed. I wondered how Bobby would have reacted to the comment about how he "just stopped coming home" - things are never that simple.

One tough uncompromising bastard who I'm sure wasn't easy to deal with at times - Townsend and O'Leary said as much - but he can be very proud of what he achieved.

I remember watching that 1990 Ireland v England game at school in Belfast - our teacher designated it as 'cultural enrichment' or something. We spent the whole match arguing over why one half of the room was supporting England and the other half Ireland - just about all of us protestants by the way... Point being there was a lot of talk about the ancestry 'pint of guinness' stuff but he gave the republic a footballing identity to be proud of at a time when it was needed.
[Post edited 8 Nov 2021 14:24]
Finding Jack Charlton on 14:22 - Nov 8 with 2262 viewsWokingR

Read his autobiography which was a great read.
Looking forward to watching the program as the book was written 25 years ago so obviously misses the latter years
Finding Jack Charlton on 14:34 - Nov 8 with 2232 viewsTomS

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2020/jul/14/david-squires-on

I dare anyone to claim that there isn't something in their eye after looking at this tribute from David Squires'.
[Post edited 8 Nov 2021 14:35]
Finding Jack Charlton on 00:53 - Nov 9 with 1924 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Finding Jack Charlton on 14:34 - Nov 8 by TomS

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2020/jul/14/david-squires-on

I dare anyone to claim that there isn't something in their eye after looking at this tribute from David Squires'.
[Post edited 8 Nov 2021 14:35]

That dog sitting alone by the river pining for Jack was magnificently sad.
Loved the Boss Of New Jersey cap (did I mention I met Bruce Springsteen myself) after that classic victory in the WC.
He was loved all over I suspect .RIP
Finding Jack Charlton on 07:20 - Nov 9 with 1851 viewsCamberleyR

Finding Jack Charlton on 14:22 - Nov 8 by WokingR

Read his autobiography which was a great read.
Looking forward to watching the program as the book was written 25 years ago so obviously misses the latter years

Try this as well.

Jack and Bobby: A story of brothers in conflict https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005INDRMM/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_6G3BJS1GQ6XM3K96HB66

Puts a bit of flesh on the bones of Bobby's distancing from his family.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2021 7:22]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Finding Jack Charlton on 07:31 - Nov 9 with 1813 viewsRs_Holy

I've had it on my Sky planner for a while now but I'm not sure sure I can watch it if it's a proper tear jerker??? I'm trying to watch as much 'feel good' stuff as possible as we've had so much bad news in the last few months.
Is it as good as 'Bobby Robson: More Than a Manager'?... That doc was brilliant and a fitting tribute to a great man!
[Post edited 9 Nov 2021 7:41]
Finding Jack Charlton on 09:17 - Nov 9 with 1699 viewshamptonhillhoop

Finding Jack Charlton on 07:31 - Nov 9 by Rs_Holy

I've had it on my Sky planner for a while now but I'm not sure sure I can watch it if it's a proper tear jerker??? I'm trying to watch as much 'feel good' stuff as possible as we've had so much bad news in the last few months.
Is it as good as 'Bobby Robson: More Than a Manager'?... That doc was brilliant and a fitting tribute to a great man!

I'm similar to you. I watched it a few months ago and would describe it more as 'poignant' than a tearjerker. There's obviously sad bits, but from what I recall the family were extremely strong in the way they dealt with his illness. Although his dementia is certainly a large part of the programme, there's plenty of footage of his past achievements to counterbalance it.
Finding Jack Charlton on 11:38 - Nov 9 with 1582 viewsdaveB

Finding Jack Charlton on 07:31 - Nov 9 by Rs_Holy

A large chunk of the programme is on his battle with dementia which was really sad and hit home for me as my Nan died earlier this year and had suffered with dementia for a decade.
Personally preferred the Bobby Robson film as that fully focused on his career but is well worth watching
Login to get fewer ads

Finding Jack Charlton on 22:59 - Nov 9 with 1377 viewsMyke

Finding Jack Charlton on 14:16 - Nov 8 by BklynRanger

Yeah watched it last night - dementia is such terrible disease - really felt for him and his wife.

Quite a lot of focus on his relationship with Bobby understandably - quite different people which seemed to put its own pressures on their relationship as the years passed. I wondered how Bobby would have reacted to the comment about how he "just stopped coming home" - things are never that simple.

One tough uncompromising bastard who I'm sure wasn't easy to deal with at times - Townsend and O'Leary said as much - but he can be very proud of what he achieved.

I remember watching that 1990 Ireland v England game at school in Belfast - our teacher designated it as 'cultural enrichment' or something. We spent the whole match arguing over why one half of the room was supporting England and the other half Ireland - just about all of us protestants by the way... Point being there was a lot of talk about the ancestry 'pint of guinness' stuff but he gave the republic a footballing identity to be proud of at a time when it was needed.
[Post edited 8 Nov 2021 14:24]

Love Jack Charlton Gave Irish fans their happiest moments ever. But a 'footballing identity to be proud of' - no. Let the rose tinted glasses never obscure that he refused to let top first division players like Lawrenson, Whelan, Houghton et al , play. He simply did not trust the biggest names around, to get the ball down and play football. Not to mention removing Brady and (almost) O'Leary from the equation altogether. Apart from an iffy right back we had a team to match any in '88 and '90, all that was missing was a bit of belief. Superb, fun, unforgettable time to be an Irish fan, but let's remain factual.
Finding Jack Charlton on 23:15 - Nov 9 with 1368 viewsBklynRanger

Finding Jack Charlton on 22:59 - Nov 9 by Myke

Love Jack Charlton Gave Irish fans their happiest moments ever. But a 'footballing identity to be proud of' - no. Let the rose tinted glasses never obscure that he refused to let top first division players like Lawrenson, Whelan, Houghton et al , play. He simply did not trust the biggest names around, to get the ball down and play football. Not to mention removing Brady and (almost) O'Leary from the equation altogether. Apart from an iffy right back we had a team to match any in '88 and '90, all that was missing was a bit of belief. Superb, fun, unforgettable time to be an Irish fan, but let's remain factual.

'A team to match any' sounds a bit over the top.
[Post edited 10 Nov 2021 9:06]
Finding Jack Charlton on 08:33 - Nov 10 with 1230 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Myke has a point, to be fair.

I watched the documentary, and it's well made and you'd have to have a heart of a stone not to feel for Jack Charlton and his family.

But while we naturally feel sorry for Charlton the sufferer, I wouldn't romanticise his spell as Manager as a team like the documentary does - the football was awful (imo), he treated some players like dirt, I didn't like Charlton as a person or a manager and I didn't like us importing (some) players who previously had no interest in playing for Ireland or being Irish.

And I am sick to death of hearing people spout nonsense as a truism that the Celtic Tiger was started by a long-range goal scored by a Scottish player against Bulgaria. Had Gary Mackay hit the post, I suppose, the decades of investment in free Third-Level education, the policy of inward investment, of low corporation tax and of European integration would have come to nothing.

This documentary now goes one step further: Charlton started the Peace Process now.

John Hume wasted decades on peaceful reconciliation. He should instead have campaigned for Charlton to take over in 1969.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Finding Jack Charlton on 09:12 - Nov 10 with 1210 viewsBklynRanger

Well, I've edited my late night touchiness - it was probably Jack's influence so thank you Jack for that

As a piece of television I think it was always going to be on the 'generous' side given his condition and the times we're in.

I had no idea he was behind all that other stuff, Brian - it's amazing that he managed to find the time!
Finding Jack Charlton on 18:17 - Nov 10 with 1053 viewsMyke

Finding Jack Charlton on 09:12 - Nov 10 by BklynRanger

Well, I've edited my late night touchiness - it was probably Jack's influence so thank you Jack for that

As a piece of television I think it was always going to be on the 'generous' side given his condition and the times we're in.

I had no idea he was behind all that other stuff, Brian - it's amazing that he managed to find the time!

I really said 'team' on purpose Bklyn, rather than squad. Currently we (or at least I) lament the loss of two genuine top quality players; Rice and Grealish, while Coleman's career is winding down. Back then we had Bonner, McGrath, Lawrenson, O'Leary, Whelan, Sheedy, Houghton, Aldridge, Hughton, Moran Stapleton- all playing for top Division 1 clubs, and he left Brady behind . we lacked the depth to make an impact on a World Cup, but could have gone further in the Euros with a bit more belief - as Greece subsequently proved.
This is not intended as a dig on Charlton, as I said he gave us our most memorable moments ever. And having had first hand experience of dementia with my dad, I can empathise fully with the very moving programme
Finding Jack Charlton on 10:49 - Nov 11 with 937 viewsBklynRanger

Fair enough Myke, and I do remember Brady being a constant bone of understandable contention.

My sincere sympathy about your Dad too - dreadful stuff
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024