Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stoke Match Thread 00:47 - Apr 23 with 20805 viewsBoston

I'm pottering around tomorrow. Much of the morning will be spent wrapping a job and moving equipment to the next victim's work site.

But, ever vigilant and a radio aficionado...I shall be there, on the airwaves.

The roll continues, Stoke 1 - Queens Park Rangers 2.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Stoke Match Thread on 17:52 - Apr 23 with 1651 viewstkqpr

Shocking performance, totally inept of ideas, how has it gone from us being so prolific to not managing a shot on goal in our last few games pretty much?

Yes i understnad Dieng and latterly Willlock are a big miss, Dickie late on, but in essence the rest of the squad is the same. Hendrick must of upset things thats all i can figure out, he did nothing for us one little bit yet had a "Premiership" reputation in name only, not one good thing did he contribute, yet he hasnt been involved in the last few squads. Dom Ball would have given more. Johanson has a loss of form all of a sudden but hope he will be back to his best next season.

If the reasons are known and can be addressed then i will stay stick with Warbs and go again. If they arent known and his heart isnt in it to build and go again, then i hope he does the honourable thing and leave or be let go.

Quite a few contracts are up and it would be an opportunity for someone else maybe to make their mark if the trust is there......but whom??

One thing for sure is we need pace, when we get the ball we stop, theres not enough pace or movement, players stop making runs if they aren't getting the ball (except Thomas) so we have become a team that thinks its good yet clearly has lost the knack.

Rant over!

I should of just typed this out and sent it in an email to myself. Sorry.

Stoke Match Thread on 17:58 - Apr 23 with 1603 viewsDamo1962

Stoke Match Thread on 17:24 - Apr 23 by Greenbay

FT REPORT
Stoke 1 QPR 0
Why are we so gloomy?
Ah yes it's because we played some unbelievable football for 13 months - throughout 2021 and then - from a results point of view - during this January.
We had our hopes raised - that was our problem.
And now they are at rock bottom.
If we had been midtable during the whole of this season we might be saying - yes we finished poorly but midtable isn't so bad considering our financial situation.
There has been an improvement over the last 3 years - 19th, 13th, 9th and somewhere now between 7th and the worst 16th.
Maybe we can count this year as a stable year - with a few dreams thrown in.
It took years for Brentford to finally get promoted - and it seems they're going to stay in the Premier Division for at least another year.
Why should we expect to get into the play-offs so quickly especially after changing and rinsing the side for the last three years?
Answer - we had to lower our budget.
Why should the owners continually put in over a million pounds a month and start to develop a really good training ground?
Well I wouldn't - unless I had their massive fortune and loved the club to bits.
Yes - hindsight is a wonderful thing.
And hindsight is also a wonderful thing if you look back at the years pre-Warbs - horrendous.
So all this gross attack on our players and management - on this and several other threads -are ridiculous.
That's unless - you do your job without caring!
Of course our players care. It's without a doubt.
Yes we played poorly in this match - especially conceding the only goal of the game seconds before HT. And yes we can have all the excuses - injuries, formation, tactics etc - mistimed passes - playing backwards and sideways.
They don't mean to lose. They all want to put in a good performance. They all want to win. They all wanted to make the play-offs.
But at this very high level of sport - yes the Championship is very high level - there are many things that go towards being unbelievably successful.
Plenty of money to acquire better players would help.
But we haven't got the money.
We can only acquire players within our budget - and yes some other clubs do it - for this season at least - better than us - Huddersfield and Luton for example.
But we are heading in the right direction - steadily and slowly.
How wonderful not to worry about relegation throughout the whole of this season.
Sixteen months or so ago we were all worried.
So let's be sensible and respectful.
We're all disappointed but let's have proper perspective.
As I've said - marginal gains each year.
It may take 5 years to even get to the play-offs.
But to grossly attack the club (that's the players and the management) is over the top.
In pre-Warbs days that sort of criticism would be fairly accurate.
But not now.
I understand we have to vent our feelings.
That's what this thread is all about despair and joy - all mixed together.
But let's all calm down.
The way forward is yes 1 step back - but two steps forward.
If we keep doing that then one day we will reach the promise land of the play-offs and who knows promotion.
And my goodness did we come close this season.
It's time to rest and back the team when the new season starts at the end of July.
Am I a QPR fan - you bet I am.

I really enjoy your reports Greenbay, but with the greatest respect...that is all a bit patronising, and I'm sure you don't mean it to come across that way. Constructive criticism never hurt anyone. I think there were expectations from above that we would be top six this season - and for a number of reasons, some, but not all, self-inflicted... we have come up short. No disgrace in that. But when you lift supporters expectations like the players did in 2021, you have to expect some anger and frustration. They were rightly lauded for their achievements in challenging at the right end of the table for once, but they have to accept that they have finished the season poorly.
Stoke Match Thread on 18:16 - Apr 23 with 1521 viewsRangersw12

On train back

Awful performance, Barbet and Dunne only ones to come out with any real credit. A very meh performance.

Dykes was a disgrace though and clearly isn't interested
Stoke Match Thread on 18:19 - Apr 23 with 1497 viewssuperhoopdownunder

Stoke Match Thread on 18:16 - Apr 23 by Rangersw12

On train back

Awful performance, Barbet and Dunne only ones to come out with any real credit. A very meh performance.

Support was excellent considering how rubbish we were today (and since January).
Well Done to our supporters who showed their class again today and have been brilliant this season.

PS in relation to Dykes he’s probably had a move lined up since January as he has been dreadful for months. Total lack of commitment.
[Post edited 23 Apr 2022 18:23]
Stoke Match Thread on 18:24 - Apr 23 with 1456 viewsDamo1962

Stoke Match Thread on 18:16 - Apr 23 by Rangersw12

On train back

Glad others can see Dykes attitude.Think he has a move back to Scotland lined up... hopefully
Stoke Match Thread on 18:24 - Apr 23 with 1456 viewsGreenbay

Stoke Match Thread on 17:58 - Apr 23 by Damo1962

I really enjoy your reports Greenbay, but with the greatest respect...that is all a bit patronising, and I'm sure you don't mean it to come across that way. Constructive criticism never hurt anyone. I think there were expectations from above that we would be top six this season - and for a number of reasons, some, but not all, self-inflicted... we have come up short. No disgrace in that. But when you lift supporters expectations like the players did in 2021, you have to expect some anger and frustration. They were rightly lauded for their achievements in challenging at the right end of the table for once, but they have to accept that they have finished the season poorly.

Thanks Damo. Certainly agree with your comments.
Constructive criticism is absolutely great.
But it's the 'gross attack' - which I refer to in my report - that is not palatable.
The emphasis is on the 'gross.'
To attack just for the sake of attacking is meaningless.
In no way was I being or meant to be patronising throughout my analysis FWIW.
I did say that these threads are to vent our feelings good or bad.
But to do it in a constructive way.
And from my perspective your comments are good because they are constructive.
Stoke Match Thread on 18:25 - Apr 23 with 1448 viewsManinBlack

Stoke Match Thread on 17:58 - Apr 23 by Damo1962

I see no issues with both views of the fans whether positive or not. People expressing their feelings on here is no different to fans leaving the ground and going to the pub and debating our teams good points and flaws.

One of our weaknesses over the years has seen us lose more often than not north of the Midlands. Just when you think we are turning it around we go to Barnsley, Preston, Sheffield, Stoke etc and lose with a whimper just like the bad old days. Eight defeats in 11 is dismal for a team that was third in the table not so long ago.

I see us compared to Brentford in terms of length of time for getting promoted but I think this misses some points. Brentford over the years had a better home record than us and lose less away games. They also have a tendency to win London derbies unlike us and, more importantly perhaps, their ability in finding strikers who can score over 20 goals a season like Fulham and Norwich. You ain't going up with strikers who get nowhere near double figures in a season. You might make the play offs but you won't get automatic promotion with forwards who average less than 10 goals a season.

I try to be rational about these things but any manager is going to find it difficult to get us up without a prolific goalscorer and a squad who drop too many points in derbies and up north and an unerring ability to lose to the teams that usually go down.
[Post edited 23 Apr 2022 18:31]
Stoke Match Thread on 18:34 - Apr 23 with 1371 viewsDamo1962

Stoke Match Thread on 18:24 - Apr 23 by Greenbay

Thanks Damo. Certainly agree with your comments.
Constructive criticism is absolutely great.
But it's the 'gross attack' - which I refer to in my report - that is not palatable.
The emphasis is on the 'gross.'
To attack just for the sake of attacking is meaningless.
In no way was I being or meant to be patronising throughout my analysis FWIW.
I did say that these threads are to vent our feelings good or bad.
But to do it in a constructive way.
And from my perspective your comments are good because they are constructive.

Always a pleasure to debate with you GB.I should just have ignored it ,as my experience on this MB, is you wouldn't deliberately do anything disrespectful. Agree when criticism gets too toxic and personal...that is the time to stop. Good to have level heads like your good self on here 🙂
Login to get fewer ads

Stoke Match Thread on 18:37 - Apr 23 with 1354 viewsDamo1962

Stoke Match Thread on 18:25 - Apr 23 by ManinBlack

I see no issues with both views of the fans whether positive or not. People expressing their feelings on here is no different to fans leaving the ground and going to the pub and debating our teams good points and flaws.

One of our weaknesses over the years has seen us lose more often than not north of the Midlands. Just when you think we are turning it around we go to Barnsley, Preston, Sheffield, Stoke etc and lose with a whimper just like the bad old days. Eight defeats in 11 is dismal for a team that was third in the table not so long ago.

I see us compared to Brentford in terms of length of time for getting promoted but I think this misses some points. Brentford over the years had a better home record than us and lose less away games. They also have a tendency to win London derbies unlike us and, more importantly perhaps, their ability in finding strikers who can score over 20 goals a season like Fulham and Norwich. You ain't going up with strikers who get nowhere near double figures in a season. You might make the play offs but you won't get automatic promotion with forwards who average less than 10 goals a season.

I try to be rational about these things but any manager is going to find it difficult to get us up without a prolific goalscorer and a squad who drop too many points in derbies and up north and an unerring ability to lose to the teams that usually go down.
[Post edited 23 Apr 2022 18:31]

That is how I feel. You have expressed it all perfectly.
Stoke Match Thread on 19:35 - Apr 23 with 1237 viewsVancouverHoop

Stoke Match Thread on 16:54 - Apr 23 by R_from_afar

With everyone fit and in form, we are competitive, but we haven't got strength in depth and when first choice players have to be replaced, the stand-ins simply aren't that great

That's about right. It's a thin squad, always was. We avoided injuries for a long time but when they came for us they came with boots on. In goal alone we lost all three club keepers. The two vintage emergency replacements relied on their experience, but neither could replicate the distribution that Seny brings, which was a big part of our success. A back line that had learned to play together so well also lost key players, and so on. If these had happened mid-season we might have had enough time to recover, but the randomness of the footballing universe bit us big time. I doubt any manager could have done better than with the hand that fate dealt Warburton.
Stoke Match Thread on 08:09 - Apr 24 with 885 viewsderbyhoop

What a feeble performance.
We had to win 3/3 to give ourselves an outside chance but we never looked like scoring. Too pedestrian, too few attempts to pass forward.
Other than the defence and keeper, nobody came out with any credit.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024