Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stoke Match Thread 00:47 - Apr 23 with 20850 viewsBoston

I'm pottering around tomorrow. Much of the morning will be spent wrapping a job and moving equipment to the next victim's work site.

But, ever vigilant and a radio aficionado...I shall be there, on the airwaves.

The roll continues, Stoke 1 - Queens Park Rangers 2.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Stoke Match Thread on 16:53 - Apr 23 with 2027 viewskropotkin41

I think North had it right on some thread or another, at this stage it's all very well someone like me saying stick with Warburton, but what if next season were to start with this form? Relegation form doesn't begin to describe it.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Stoke Match Thread on 16:54 - Apr 23 with 2030 viewsR_from_afar

With everyone fit and in form, we are competitive, but we haven't got strength in depth and when first choice players have to be replaced, the stand-ins simply aren't that great

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Stoke Match Thread on 16:55 - Apr 23 with 1984 viewsR_from_afar

Corner to the Rs

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Stoke Match Thread on 16:55 - Apr 23 with 1973 viewsEmpireStateRanger

I know Sanderson is young, but I think I’ve seen enough from him for a lifetime.
Stoke Match Thread on 16:55 - Apr 23 with 1960 viewskropotkin41

Stoke Match Thread on 16:54 - Apr 23 by R_from_afar

With everyone fit and in form, we are competitive, but we haven't got strength in depth and when first choice players have to be replaced, the stand-ins simply aren't that great

It's a bit more serious than not that great though, it seems. From competing for the play-offs to the worst form in the Championship.

Stoke Match Thread on 16:56 - Apr 23 with 1911 viewssuperhoopdownunder

1 nil loss
Very poor performance even more so when you consider that was meant to be a must win game
Stoke Match Thread on 16:56 - Apr 23 with 1883 viewsconnell10

A bit harsh mate .

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Stoke Match Thread on 16:57 - Apr 23 with 1823 viewsted_hendrix

Phew, that was close.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Login to get fewer ads

Stoke Match Thread on 16:57 - Apr 23 with 1774 viewsDamo1962

Stoke Match Thread on 16:53 - Apr 23 by BklynRanger

He manages the players. What is he telling them and what is he getting from them? Something has gone wrong and there has never been enough of an effort to acknowledge and correct whatever it was.

Agree. That's why he won't be in charge next season. Good managers can see if something isn't working...and at least try and change it. He probably has "lost the dressing room" given the slump in performances and results. Such a tough league the Championship.
Stoke Match Thread on 16:58 - Apr 23 with 1763 viewsdmm

Oh well. Roll on season 2022/23.
Stoke Match Thread on 16:58 - Apr 23 with 1754 viewskropotkin41

That was a season of two halves. Wow!

I think it's daft to ignore the injury list. It's very difficult to call - beyond me, that's for sure. It would have been great to finish the season on a bit of a charge but it doesn't look like we had it in us.

Onwards and upwards though eh? There's a lot of clubs and supporters with more to cry about than us, I reckon.

Stoke Match Thread on 17:01 - Apr 23 with 1596 viewsDamo1962

Stoke Match Thread on 16:58 - Apr 23 by kropotkin41

That was a season of two halves. Wow!

I think it's daft to ignore the injury list. It's very difficult to call - beyond me, that's for sure. It would have been great to finish the season on a bit of a charge but it doesn't look like we had it in us.

Onwards and upwards though eh? There's a lot of clubs and supporters with more to cry about than us, I reckon.

Yep. It's only football at the end of the day 🙂
Stoke Match Thread on 17:01 - Apr 23 with 1618 viewsstevec

Warbs should have gone after the Peterborough trilogy, totally spent.
Stoke Match Thread on 17:02 - Apr 23 with 1535 viewsCamberleyR

Stoke Match Thread on 16:54 - Apr 23 by R_from_afar

Is the correct answer.

I'd back our first choice XI when all fit and firing against anyone. The brutal truth is that injuries have absolutely killed us and the extraordinary luck we had with them last season finally ran out.

As somebody posted on another thread, if Leicester in their title winning season had lost Schmeichel and Vardy to season ending injuries at the business end of the season as we have lost Dieng and Willock, would they have got anywhere near? I'd say definitely not.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Stoke Match Thread on 17:08 - Apr 23 with 1379 viewsDamo1962

Stoke Match Thread on 16:56 - Apr 23 by connell10

A bit harsh mate .

Thanks Connell. I'm used to self- righteous "Uber supporters" like him. They have to take their anger and frustration out on someone...so better me than the cat 😉 I wonder if he was at the game today? Just another to add to the ignore list 🙂
Stoke Match Thread on 17:08 - Apr 23 with 1392 viewsdavman

That game summed up my frustrations around this season. Stoke were hopeless, totally ineffectual through all thirds and yet we managed to lose to them. Just like the Championship (again) this season - two of the three teams that will go up are simply not that good and yet, we manage to finish off the pace.

I guess that the logic says that we are not very good either and on today's showing, after some promise that the yoof were going to energise us back into contention over the last two game, they just looked off it.

Field, as ever, got some credit today as did Thomas and Chair (although the latter predictably got criticism from this forum for not being able single handedly to take on their entire team unsupported by his absolutely inadequate teammates). Not sure what more he could have done with f-all options ahead and around him.

Westwood faultless; Sanderson out of position and never, ever a right back. Why he was preferred to Ozzie, a natural (but admittedly limited) right back I'll never know. McCallum lightweight, energetic, but ineffectual; Barbet - awful distribution (again). Dunne - adequate. Dozzell - poor; Thomas - perpetual motion, but little quality; Dykes - awful; par for his course over his time with us; Amos - back to his Caspar the Friendly Ghost routine. Austin / Adomah / Gray - changed NOTHING.

The only silver lining was that Hendrick did not get on.

Our bolt has been shot since January...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Stoke Match Thread on 17:13 - Apr 23 with 1319 viewsBklynRanger

Stoke Match Thread on 17:02 - Apr 23 by CamberleyR

Is the correct answer.

I'd back our first choice XI when all fit and firing against anyone. The brutal truth is that injuries have absolutely killed us and the extraordinary luck we had with them last season finally ran out.

As somebody posted on another thread, if Leicester in their title winning season had lost Schmeichel and Vardy to season ending injuries at the business end of the season as we have lost Dieng and Willock, would they have got anywhere near? I'd say definitely not.

If personnel was the only issue we would have lost that 4-2 today, because we would have played with the same purpose and energy we had been, only with less capable players.

That team has got far more wrong with it than injuries (which I do accept have been dreadful).
Stoke Match Thread on 17:14 - Apr 23 with 1305 viewsenfieldargh

There’s a bottle of Jamesons giving me the eye I’m going to disappear into it

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Stoke Match Thread on 17:16 - Apr 23 with 1286 viewssuperhoopdownunder

Stoke Match Thread on 17:08 - Apr 23 by davman

That game summed up my frustrations around this season. Stoke were hopeless, totally ineffectual through all thirds and yet we managed to lose to them. Just like the Championship (again) this season - two of the three teams that will go up are simply not that good and yet, we manage to finish off the pace.

I guess that the logic says that we are not very good either and on today's showing, after some promise that the yoof were going to energise us back into contention over the last two game, they just looked off it.

Field, as ever, got some credit today as did Thomas and Chair (although the latter predictably got criticism from this forum for not being able single handedly to take on their entire team unsupported by his absolutely inadequate teammates). Not sure what more he could have done with f-all options ahead and around him.

Westwood faultless; Sanderson out of position and never, ever a right back. Why he was preferred to Ozzie, a natural (but admittedly limited) right back I'll never know. McCallum lightweight, energetic, but ineffectual; Barbet - awful distribution (again). Dunne - adequate. Dozzell - poor; Thomas - perpetual motion, but little quality; Dykes - awful; par for his course over his time with us; Amos - back to his Caspar the Friendly Ghost routine. Austin / Adomah / Gray - changed NOTHING.

The only silver lining was that Hendrick did not get on.

Our bolt has been shot since January...

To struggle to get a shot on target in a must win game against a team with zero to play for is not good enough. All the excellent work has been undone by the abject performances since Reading at home at the end of January.
There needs to be a review of the football department with changes recommended and implemented as this is unacceptable.
Stoke Match Thread on 17:17 - Apr 23 with 1276 viewsManinBlack

Another lame away defeat. Plenty of time to level today like with the Sheffield game but we never looked like drawing level. I think we won about 8 away games which is good for us but we have lost too many away especially recently. We don't seem to be able to grind out away draws like Millwall do.

Our home form isn't that great either and only Reading have been blown away by us this season. Clearly we need a much better forward line for next season as we have lacked a goal threat recently and our second string our no replacement for any first teamers missing. I still think we are a bit soft and here we have an average Stoke side taking 6 points off us this season.
Stoke Match Thread on 17:19 - Apr 23 with 1225 viewsjoolsyp

Stoke Match Thread on 16:41 - Apr 23 by VancouverHoop

I remain unconvinced by Dozzell.

I’m totally convinced by him. Convinced that he’s League 1 standard at best. That was a dreadful performance, lost count of the times he gave the ball away in dangerous positions. We need much better than him in the middle of the park if we are to challenge next season.
Stoke Match Thread on 17:24 - Apr 23 with 1179 viewsGreenbay

FT REPORT
Stoke 1 QPR 0
Why are we so gloomy?
Ah yes it's because we played some unbelievable football for 13 months - throughout 2021 and then - from a results point of view - during this January.
We had our hopes raised - that was our problem.
And now they are at rock bottom.
If we had been midtable during the whole of this season we might be saying - yes we finished poorly but midtable isn't so bad considering our financial situation.
There has been an improvement over the last 3 years - 19th, 13th, 9th and somewhere now between 7th and the worst 16th.
Maybe we can count this year as a stable year - with a few dreams thrown in.
It took years for Brentford to finally get promoted - and it seems they're going to stay in the Premier Division for at least another year.
Why should we expect to get into the play-offs so quickly especially after changing and rinsing the side for the last three years?
Answer - we had to lower our budget.
Why should the owners continually put in over a million pounds a month and start to develop a really good training ground?
Well I wouldn't - unless I had their massive fortune and loved the club to bits.
Yes - hindsight is a wonderful thing.
And hindsight is also a wonderful thing if you look back at the years pre-Warbs - horrendous.
So all this gross attack on our players and management - on this and several other threads -are ridiculous.
That's unless - you do your job without caring!
Of course our players care. It's without a doubt.
Yes we played poorly in this match - especially conceding the only goal of the game seconds before HT. And yes we can have all the excuses - injuries, formation, tactics etc - mistimed passes - playing backwards and sideways.
They don't mean to lose. They all want to put in a good performance. They all want to win. They all wanted to make the play-offs.
But at this very high level of sport - yes the Championship is very high level - there are many things that go towards being unbelievably successful.
Plenty of money to acquire better players would help.
But we haven't got the money.
We can only acquire players within our budget - and yes some other clubs do it - for this season at least - better than us - Huddersfield and Luton for example.
But we are heading in the right direction - steadily and slowly.
How wonderful not to worry about relegation throughout the whole of this season.
Sixteen months or so ago we were all worried.
So let's be sensible and respectful.
We're all disappointed but let's have proper perspective.
As I've said - marginal gains each year.
It may take 5 years to even get to the play-offs.
But to grossly attack the club (that's the players and the management) is over the top.
In pre-Warbs days that sort of criticism would be fairly accurate.
But not now.
I understand we have to vent our feelings.
That's what this thread is all about despair and joy - all mixed together.
But let's all calm down.
The way forward is yes 1 step back - but two steps forward.
If we keep doing that then one day we will reach the promise land of the play-offs and who knows promotion.
And my goodness did we come close this season.
It's time to rest and back the team when the new season starts at the end of July.
Am I a QPR fan - you bet I am.
Stoke Match Thread on 17:25 - Apr 23 with 1172 viewssuperhoopdownunder

Good Night everyone - it's been an interesting season - all good until Reading and poor since then - something must have changed.

Anyway take care

All the best

James
Stoke Match Thread on 17:29 - Apr 23 with 1747 viewsenfieldargh

agree but would Johansson Or Hendrick done any better? Their performances this season have been worse than Dozzels and thats saying something

One player who would have shown some bite is Dom Ball.

In the training video they play against static manikins and thats all you need to stop most of our team trying to play forward.

Albert, Ilias and to an extent Field tried to move the ball forward.

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Stoke Match Thread on 17:46 - Apr 23 with 1615 viewsDamo1962

Stoke Match Thread on 17:25 - Apr 23 by superhoopdownunder

Good Night everyone - it's been an interesting season - all good until Reading and poor since then - something must have changed.

Anyway take care

All the best

James

You too James.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024