Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Smallest club 15:24 - Apr 24 with 7497 viewshoopstar67

Are we currently the smallest and least successful club in West London as Chelsea, Brentford and Fulham are all now premier league clubs?
Smallest club on 12:37 - Apr 25 with 2122 viewsextratimeR

I think you can judge a Club by what happens to it's fan base when they get relegated, ((sometimes by more than one Division), when we went back to the Third Division our support stayed intact, and in fact was bloody amazing, when Brentford were going nowhere in Division Four their support still stayed very strong with very good gates, when Fulham were languishing in the lower Divisions, ( before Tutancanum turned up), their supporter base completely collapsed from their original top Division crowds.

I had to laugh at the Arsenal fans singing the "Nobody's here song" their right, their pre Oligargh gates were sometimes around the 16/17,000 mark for a top Division midweek game.

Wonder if their new owners will turn out like the Glazers?
Smallest club on 12:51 - Apr 25 with 2079 viewsPinnerPaul

Smallest club on 17:28 - Apr 24 by NoDiddley

Probably one of the most stupid post since this site was started.

Its a pretty big list of candidates though tbf!

Including some of my own, I'm sure some will say!
Smallest club on 13:40 - Apr 25 with 2031 viewsstowmarketrange

Smallest club on 12:37 - Apr 25 by extratimeR

I think you can judge a Club by what happens to it's fan base when they get relegated, ((sometimes by more than one Division), when we went back to the Third Division our support stayed intact, and in fact was bloody amazing, when Brentford were going nowhere in Division Four their support still stayed very strong with very good gates, when Fulham were languishing in the lower Divisions, ( before Tutancanum turned up), their supporter base completely collapsed from their original top Division crowds.

I had to laugh at the Arsenal fans singing the "Nobody's here song" their right, their pre Oligargh gates were sometimes around the 16/17,000 mark for a top Division midweek game.

Wonder if their new owners will turn out like the Glazers?

And a crowd of only 8,000 for their last home game before their first fa cup final for almost 25 years in 1994.We we’re at home on the same night and had a bigger crowd than them.
Sorry we played the night before them.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2022 13:46]
Smallest club on 19:31 - Apr 25 with 1879 viewsNoDiddley

IMO It’s not a legitimate question.
Support Citeh or Liverpool if you want glory, we are what we are.
Why question it?
Ps
First game 1965
I’ve seen it all
Smallest club on 22:28 - Apr 25 with 1789 viewsNewBee

Smallest club on 15:29 - Apr 24 by stowmarketrange

That’s because we are the only club in West London.Two are in SW London and one is in Middlesex.

Just a reminder that had Messrs. Dunnett and Gregory got their way back in 1967, QPR would have been in Middlesex.

Just sayin' like...
Smallest club on 22:39 - Apr 25 with 1777 viewsstowmarketrange

Smallest club on 22:28 - Apr 25 by NewBee

Just a reminder that had Messrs. Dunnett and Gregory got their way back in 1967, QPR would have been in Middlesex.

Just sayin' like...

And if your mum hadn’t met your dad you wouldn’t be here.
Just saying like.
Smallest club on 22:43 - Apr 25 with 1760 viewsNewBee

Smallest club on 16:22 - Apr 24 by stowmarketrange

If they manage 14 seasons in the top division without a world war in between they might get to be bigger than us.Plus 2 or 3 times we finished as London’s top club and not just Middlesex’s top one.

After two promotions in 3 seasons, BFC were London's top club in 1935-36*, when we finished 5th in the (old) First Division.

We were 6th in both the next two seasons, and despite finishing 18th in 1938-39, that was still good enough for Brentford finish ahead of Chelsea, Fulham and QPR, as we'd done throughout the whole period

Unfortunately the 2nd World War put an end to what was our first Golden Age - another item on Hitler's charge sheet. Though perhaps we shouldn't be surprised, since I'm pretty sure he was a Chelsea fan.

* - QPR finished 4th, but that was in Division 3 South.
Smallest club on 22:59 - Apr 25 with 1736 viewsNewBee

Smallest club on 22:39 - Apr 25 by stowmarketrange

And if your mum hadn’t met your dad you wouldn’t be here.
Just saying like.

It's not the meeting which counts, but the fact that my Dad got his way. Literally!

Whereas poor old Gregory couldn't manage it
Login to get fewer ads

Smallest club on 23:08 - Apr 25 with 1734 viewsstowmarketrange

Smallest club on 22:43 - Apr 25 by NewBee

After two promotions in 3 seasons, BFC were London's top club in 1935-36*, when we finished 5th in the (old) First Division.

We were 6th in both the next two seasons, and despite finishing 18th in 1938-39, that was still good enough for Brentford finish ahead of Chelsea, Fulham and QPR, as we'd done throughout the whole period

Unfortunately the 2nd World War put an end to what was our first Golden Age - another item on Hitler's charge sheet. Though perhaps we shouldn't be surprised, since I'm pretty sure he was a Chelsea fan.

* - QPR finished 4th, but that was in Division 3 South.

So 1 season as London’s top side is the sun total of Brentford’s achievements so far?And how many trophies or major finals have you been in?
There is one way that Brentford beats qpr hands down though,and that’s the amount of bitter fans who stalk their rival’s messageboards.Unless you can tell us different,that’s assuming you spend time on your own club’s messageboards.
Smallest club on 08:39 - Apr 26 with 1625 viewsdaveB

Which club is bigger or smaller is just dick swinging, completely irrelevant. As things stands Brentford and Fulham are miles better than us and we have a lot to do to close the gap let along be better than them
Smallest club on 00:04 - Apr 27 with 1446 viewsNewBee

Smallest club on 23:08 - Apr 25 by stowmarketrange

So 1 season as London’s top side is the sun total of Brentford’s achievements so far?And how many trophies or major finals have you been in?
There is one way that Brentford beats qpr hands down though,and that’s the amount of bitter fans who stalk their rival’s messageboards.Unless you can tell us different,that’s assuming you spend time on your own club’s messageboards.

"How many major finals?"

Well Brentford beat Portsmouth 2-0 in the final of the London War Cup in 1942, in front of 71,500 at Wembley:
https://londonist.com/london/history/football-wartime-blitz-1940s

And we've been in about a hundred play-off finals, even managing to win one.

Plus tonight we won the London Senior Cup (as won previously by eg Wimbledon and Arsenal, but never QPR) at a packed Champion Hill, a mere 124 years since we last won it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Senior_Cup

It's non-stop glory these days at the (open top) bus stop....
Smallest club on 02:08 - Apr 27 with 1415 viewsbob566

Smallest club on 22:16 - Apr 24 by stowmarketrange

And they were all a long way behind us in the 70’s and 80’s,and they were probably envious of our success.And two of them continued to be way behind us until the turn of the 21st century.
Football goes in cycles and always has done.Money plays a big part in football these days,especially with the parachute payments that Fulham have had this season.Do you think they would’ve been so successful this season without them?
What have two of them won?Feck all is the answer,for all the money they’ve invested.And that probably won’t change any time soon.
Celebrate our club’s history and know that it will be our turn again soon.

I thought we got parachute payments too. Unfortunately ours were locked into paying Caesar, js park and boswinga off
Smallest club on 03:00 - Apr 27 with 1401 viewsstowmarketrange

Smallest club on 00:04 - Apr 27 by NewBee

"How many major finals?"

Well Brentford beat Portsmouth 2-0 in the final of the London War Cup in 1942, in front of 71,500 at Wembley:
https://londonist.com/london/history/football-wartime-blitz-1940s

And we've been in about a hundred play-off finals, even managing to win one.

Plus tonight we won the London Senior Cup (as won previously by eg Wimbledon and Arsenal, but never QPR) at a packed Champion Hill, a mere 124 years since we last won it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Senior_Cup

It's non-stop glory these days at the (open top) bus stop....

How ironic that a London cup final was contested by teams from middlesex and hampshire.You also forgot to mention the freight rover trophy final of 1985,also known as the friendly final.You just happened to lose that one too.
I guess you’ve only been on this site since your club has been getting better results than us,a fact illustrated when neither you or your other bees mate never came anywhere near this site for a few weeks when we beat you a couple of seasons ago.You and your bitter friend didn’t have the decency to congratulate us on our one victory over you in a few years.
Luckily there is an ignore button on this site,which I have never used so far,but I suspect you might be my first poster to have the pleasure of using this facility.
Bye sad stalking bee.
Smallest club on 05:16 - Apr 27 with 1362 viewsDixie_CT

Aside for when we play, I really don’t care that much. Anyways, how are you measuring it? Over how long? With what ruler? And what do you win when you prove it?

Sure there is an added edge when we meet, which is fun and what it is kinda all about, but aside from that, f**k it.

The only thing I like saying is that there is only one team in West London but that is only for laugh and wind up!

Come on you R’s
Smallest club on 10:24 - Apr 27 with 1269 viewssouthbrookstreet

Smallest club on 16:25 - Apr 24 by Lblock

We're just about keeping our noses in front of Hanwell Town

Hanwell town fc is in a similar situation to Brentford they play in Greenford just outside the London postal code Hanwell fc are affiliated to the Middlesex football association... just saying
Smallest club on 13:21 - Apr 27 with 1174 viewsNewBee

Smallest club on 03:00 - Apr 27 by stowmarketrange

How ironic that a London cup final was contested by teams from middlesex and hampshire.You also forgot to mention the freight rover trophy final of 1985,also known as the friendly final.You just happened to lose that one too.
I guess you’ve only been on this site since your club has been getting better results than us,a fact illustrated when neither you or your other bees mate never came anywhere near this site for a few weeks when we beat you a couple of seasons ago.You and your bitter friend didn’t have the decency to congratulate us on our one victory over you in a few years.
Luckily there is an ignore button on this site,which I have never used so far,but I suspect you might be my first poster to have the pleasure of using this facility.
Bye sad stalking bee.

You seem to be upset by my posts - fair enough, I get it, some people are like that.

But one thing I don't understand. How can I be both "bitter" [sic] and somehow triumphalist at the same time?

I mean, bitterness usually follows a bad period, yet as you've pointed out, Bees are currently going through a good one.

Anyhow, if I have to justify my occasional presence on this Board, it's down to a number of factors. First, I'm pretty much obsessed with football generally and enjoy "chewing the fat" with football fans anytime (eg a great afternoon in the pub with some Burnley fans after our recent game at the BCS).

While even if you don't consider us to be your "rival", you are at least neighbours, whose paths have crossed a fair bit recently. And I still take a passing interest in Warburton's progress (also Moses, Barbet and Andre to an extent)

And unlike many fans' forums, this one is tolerably well moderated, while I never do other social media like Facebook, Twitter etc, since I can't stand 90% of the crap on there.

Oh and I do like Clive's match reports, which are very entertaining.

Now you may think all this makes me a bit of a saddo and you may even be right, but "Cest la vie" (as Yoann might say, as he blasts another free kick into Row Z).

That's it really.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024