Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McNamara full back we did not buy 00:53 - Sep 16 with 2568 viewsnumptydumpty

Heavily linked with us.

Not even brought on from subs bench.
Dropped due to form issues apparently by Millwall.

Our fullbacks we acquired - excellent so far.

Never believe the hype !!!

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

McNamara full back we did not buy on 01:04 - Sep 16 with 2499 viewsSouthallRanger

Loving having laird in our team and no hindsight regrets.

However, the logic at the time was getting a fairly young and decently rated player on the cheap. As great as it is watching laird now, unless it helps us at least get into play offs, what we have done is pay money to develop someone else’s player and we are back to square one in that position next year.
McNamara full back we did not buy on 01:10 - Sep 16 with 2482 viewsnumptydumpty

McNamara full back we did not buy on 01:04 - Sep 16 by SouthallRanger

Loving having laird in our team and no hindsight regrets.

However, the logic at the time was getting a fairly young and decently rated player on the cheap. As great as it is watching laird now, unless it helps us at least get into play offs, what we have done is pay money to develop someone else’s player and we are back to square one in that position next year.

Understand that view but he is here for the season.

Often players not last here much longer as permanent signings.

And if Macnamara dropped from Millwall team already potentially suggests we could have dodged a bullet but our plan B was pretty good most definitely...

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

McNamara full back we did not buy on 08:06 - Sep 16 with 2208 viewsdaveB

As good as Laird is, we will be back to square one either in January or next summer and need to sign a right back again, same as every window since Furlong left.
McNamara full back we did not buy on 08:25 - Sep 16 with 2137 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Did he eventually sign a new contract with Millwall. I thought I had seen that he did a few weeks back?
McNamara full back we did not buy on 08:27 - Sep 16 with 2129 viewsconnell10

McNamara full back we did not buy on 08:06 - Sep 16 by daveB

As good as Laird is, we will be back to square one either in January or next summer and need to sign a right back again, same as every window since Furlong left.

I reckon the Millwall player will still end up here probadly on a free.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

McNamara full back we did not buy on 08:31 - Sep 16 with 2114 viewsnix

McNamara full back we did not buy on 08:06 - Sep 16 by daveB

Not necessarily. We'll be in a position where we'll hopefully have a proven, progressive young manager, an up and running, top level training ground and a balanced squad only requiring a couple of additions to be top notch. If you're a good Premiership side with a young fullback to loan out or if you're a young fullback wanting to get Premiership-type play (not saying we're at Prem level but we try and play in that style rather than the long throw, overly-physical sides like WBA) then you'd probably want to come here.

Over the summer we had a new manager who'd never managed at this level (or any professional level) before. We weren't fully ready in the training ground. We'd had a really bad run since February and seemed on a downward trajectory. And we were a bit weak in a few areas that we've since plugged (apart arguably from another striker but that might play out differently over the course of the season).

I think things will be different.
McNamara full back we did not buy on 09:23 - Sep 16 with 1967 viewsdaveB

McNamara full back we did not buy on 08:31 - Sep 16 by nix

Not necessarily. We'll be in a position where we'll hopefully have a proven, progressive young manager, an up and running, top level training ground and a balanced squad only requiring a couple of additions to be top notch. If you're a good Premiership side with a young fullback to loan out or if you're a young fullback wanting to get Premiership-type play (not saying we're at Prem level but we try and play in that style rather than the long throw, overly-physical sides like WBA) then you'd probably want to come here.

Over the summer we had a new manager who'd never managed at this level (or any professional level) before. We weren't fully ready in the training ground. We'd had a really bad run since February and seemed on a downward trajectory. And we were a bit weak in a few areas that we've since plugged (apart arguably from another striker but that might play out differently over the course of the season).

I think things will be different.

We might be in a better position to sign better players in a year, I just have a nagging concern that every summer window we seem to need a centre half, 2 full backs, a midfield player and a forward and when the loans go back next summer the shopping list will be the same again.
McNamara full back we did not buy on 10:08 - Sep 16 with 1850 viewsLazyFan

McNamara full back we did not buy on 09:23 - Sep 16 by daveB

We might be in a better position to sign better players in a year, I just have a nagging concern that every summer window we seem to need a centre half, 2 full backs, a midfield player and a forward and when the loans go back next summer the shopping list will be the same again.

With Paal and Kakay as backup, we only need two FB's now. CD's we have cover for now with 4-5 of them.

I remember a few years ago, when we had BFG CD, we only had two CD's. So, things have progressed and with youth coming through such as Armstrong. Armstrong will progress, the midfield looks stronger squad wise and Dozzell is improving after one season with us.

Before we used to worry about relegation, I think we are a top-half champ team now so, that is very good for long-term survival. If we can sneak into the playoffs in some seasons, then who knows?

Evil Les and Hoos He, have done a great job in stabilising the car wreck QPR was before. Warbs and Eustice should get some credit too. Brum is a car wreck and Eustice is managing to keep them alive there so, we can see he's a good manager.

McNamara was a good idea and we lowballed them and they did not crack, fair enough. I am sure our recruitment will spend the entire year preparing to recruit an RB and LB. Then we only need a forward after that as Bonne will no doubt be off. I would like us to sign a right winger with pace next summer, but we probably don't have the money for that.

zzzzzzzzzz

Login to get fewer ads

McNamara full back we did not buy on 10:18 - Sep 16 with 1808 viewsnix

McNamara full back we did not buy on 09:23 - Sep 16 by daveB

Don't most teams have similar though? What I do think is that we keep on improving the squad, even when it seems unlikely as we've got less money to spend. If you look back at our 2018 squad, I can only see Ebs, Darnell Furlong and maybe Nahki Wells and Manning as back up from that squad getting into the current squad (even taking into account the players at the same age as when they were playing for us).
McNamara full back we did not buy on 10:58 - Sep 16 with 1729 viewsDavieQPR

Love it or loathe it every team in this division relies on loans for financial reasons or to make them stronger. We have to have some just to compete.
McNamara full back we did not buy on 11:04 - Sep 16 with 1715 viewsLogman

So long as they are good 'uns I don't see the problem with season long loans. It's the way things are going, Premiership teams loaning their U.23's out for the season. If you can't beat them, join them.
McNamara full back we did not buy on 12:41 - Sep 16 with 1594 viewsaston_hoop

Not seen enough of McNamara but Laird makes us such a better side going forward. Hopefully Ajax have a couple of good right backs coming through for Utd to buy so they consider getting rid, is his contract out end of season?

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

McNamara full back we did not buy on 12:49 - Sep 16 with 1559 viewsfrancisbowles

McNamara full back we did not buy on 12:41 - Sep 16 by aston_hoop

Not seen enough of McNamara but Laird makes us such a better side going forward. Hopefully Ajax have a couple of good right backs coming through for Utd to buy so they consider getting rid, is his contract out end of season?

Hopefully, they don't do what Spurs did with Walker!
McNamara full back we did not buy on 13:10 - Sep 16 with 1507 viewsterryb

McNamara full back we did not buy on 12:49 - Sep 16 by francisbowles

Hopefully, they don't do what Spurs did with Walker!

I think they can recall in January, but I doubt that they will UNLESS they decide to include him in their first team squad.

They will definitely see the progression that he is making!
McNamara full back we did not buy on 14:29 - Sep 16 with 1389 viewsfrancisbowles

McNamara full back we did not buy on 13:10 - Sep 16 by terryb

I think they can recall in January, but I doubt that they will UNLESS they decide to include him in their first team squad.

Yes or as in Walker's case to the Premier League.
McNamara full back we did not buy on 15:03 - Sep 16 with 1314 viewsdaveB

McNamara full back we did not buy on 13:10 - Sep 16 by terryb

They recalled hin last year to give him a club going for promotion, may well give him a premier league club this time. Nothing we can do about it though
McNamara full back we did not buy on 15:09 - Sep 16 with 1297 viewsPhilmyRs

McNamara full back we did not buy on 15:03 - Sep 16 by daveB

They recalled hin last year to give him a club going for promotion, may well give him a premier league club this time. Nothing we can do about it though

Quite a few have mentioned he's the best since Walker. Walker got called back by his club in January didn't he? and we were going for the title at the time. By all accounts Walker wanted to complete the season but his employers wanted something else. Would love him to stay the season but big risk he'll be lined up for a top flight loan in January.
McNamara full back we did not buy on 15:33 - Sep 16 with 1239 viewsed_83

McNamara full back we did not buy on 10:08 - Sep 16 by LazyFan

With Paal and Kakay as backup, we only need two FB's now. CD's we have cover for now with 4-5 of them.

I remember a few years ago, when we had BFG CD, we only had two CD's. So, things have progressed and with youth coming through such as Armstrong. Armstrong will progress, the midfield looks stronger squad wise and Dozzell is improving after one season with us.

Before we used to worry about relegation, I think we are a top-half champ team now so, that is very good for long-term survival. If we can sneak into the playoffs in some seasons, then who knows?

Evil Les and Hoos He, have done a great job in stabilising the car wreck QPR was before. Warbs and Eustice should get some credit too. Brum is a car wreck and Eustice is managing to keep them alive there so, we can see he's a good manager.

McNamara was a good idea and we lowballed them and they did not crack, fair enough. I am sure our recruitment will spend the entire year preparing to recruit an RB and LB. Then we only need a forward after that as Bonne will no doubt be off. I would like us to sign a right winger with pace next summer, but we probably don't have the money for that.

Minor quibble but Paal is a starting left-back rather than backup. Niko isn’t up to Championship standard, but if we can’t shift him then we’d only need a replacement for Laird.

On the comparisons with Walker: we only signed him as cover after both our existing right backs (Orr and Ramage?) got injured, was only ever meant to be a short-term deal which we then extended to Christmas. I imagine the contract for a season-long deal with Laird will have been structured and incentivised very differently.
McNamara full back we did not buy on 15:47 - Sep 16 with 1203 viewsdaveB

McNamara full back we did not buy on 15:09 - Sep 16 by PhilmyRs

Quite a few have mentioned he's the best since Walker. Walker got called back by his club in January didn't he? and we were going for the title at the time. By all accounts Walker wanted to complete the season but his employers wanted something else. Would love him to stay the season but big risk he'll be lined up for a top flight loan in January.

He went to Villa in January, we actually tried to buy him I think.

It's a nice problem to have rather than have a loan who we are stuck with who is sh it
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024