Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Matt Grimes stat 12:00 - Jan 9 with 5652 viewsKeithHaynes

This post has been edited by an administrator

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Matt Grimes stat on 12:03 - Jan 9 with 3002 viewsKeithHaynes

FYI.

Line breaks are one of the most important events in football. A line break occurs when an attacking team moves the ball beyond the deepest player in an opposition unit.

Line-breaking passes are those that go through a line of the opposing team’s formation.
For example, a pass that goes between two opposing defenders is known as a line-breaking pass because it breaks through the defensive line.

A line-breaking run is similar to a line-breaking pass, although in this case it is the player, not the ball, that breaks the line.

Line-breaking runs usually occur in the final third of the pitch when a forward or midfielder runs through the defensive line and into a goal-scoring position. Cristiano Ronaldo is an expert at making line-breaking runs.

Sometimes in soccer a line breaking pass is referred to as the “killer pass”. It’s the pass that splits the defence and gets the attacking player behind the defence so they can take a shot or cross the ball to an open player. While it’s great to keep possession of the ball, in order to score you’ll need to make that one pass that splits the defence.

Splitting the defence makes them turn their backs and run back towards the ball, which is dangerous for a defence because they are chasing the ball and can’t see other attackers are making runs behind them.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Matt Grimes stat on 12:22 - Jan 9 with 2948 viewsnantywatcher

Class act.
Matt Grimes stat on 12:58 - Jan 9 with 2889 viewsBadlands

Yet they are barely noticeable and rarely effective.
For the most part He slows down any chance of an effective route from defence to attack.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Matt Grimes stat on 13:20 - Jan 9 with 2862 viewshobo

Very lucky to have him
Matt Grimes stat on 13:50 - Jan 9 with 2831 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

One of my pet hates with this style of football is that we often beat the press really well taking four or five opposition players out of the game with these passes and often grimes is involved but instead of pushing forward and taking advantage we often play the ball back and let the opposition get back into space.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

Matt Grimes stat on 15:02 - Jan 9 with 2775 viewsMrSwerve

Didn't Mark Gower have a similar stat years ago?

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Matt Grimes stat on 16:01 - Jan 9 with 2726 viewsKeithHaynes

Matt Grimes stat on 13:50 - Jan 9 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

One of my pet hates with this style of football is that we often beat the press really well taking four or five opposition players out of the game with these passes and often grimes is involved but instead of pushing forward and taking advantage we often play the ball back and let the opposition get back into space.

Thing is we can’t convert the chances we make at the end of those moves.

Matt Grimes stat on 16:10 - Jan 9 with 2693 viewsFireboy2

Matt Grimes stat on 13:50 - Jan 9 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

It's because our front players oba apart have no pace.
Login to get fewer ads

Matt Grimes stat on 16:26 - Jan 9 with 2665 viewsTreforys_Jack

Matt Grimes stat on 13:20 - Jan 9 by hobo

Very lucky to have him

I agree, we did well to beat of all the other suitors sniffing around.......... oh wait, but seriously he does slow us down, and the amount of times he seems in perfect position to have a crack at goal, he just passes the responsibility to someone else is annoying.
Matt Grimes stat on 16:34 - Jan 9 with 2650 viewsWhiterockin

Matt Grimes stat on 16:26 - Jan 9 by Treforys_Jack

I agree, we did well to beat of all the other suitors sniffing around.......... oh wait, but seriously he does slow us down, and the amount of times he seems in perfect position to have a crack at goal, he just passes the responsibility to someone else is annoying.

Statistically our best player, rated by every manager we have had and apposition managers, stated by opposition players as our best player.

Yet not rated by some of our supporters, it's a strange world.

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

Matt Grimes stat on 16:43 - Jan 9 with 2633 viewsMrSwerve

Very lucky to have him

I think, as much of a joke as we make about his sideways/backwards passing, his passing ability is an asset to the club. With the right manager he could be very good. He still is a good player in this league - if we sold him, for example, I would be disappointed.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Matt Grimes stat on 17:26 - Jan 9 with 2593 viewsDr_Winston

One day someone will be able to point out how Grimes is effective without resorting to statistics. That's basically all people can do.

None of them savour the crossfield passes, the through balls, the won tackles, the dribbles, the way he controls games or drives the team forward. Or makes almost anything interesting happen on the pitch They almost always can't.

Ask them to reel off his completed passes in the final xG with a retention quotient of 4.5 or some other such nonsense and they're in heaven.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Matt Grimes stat on 17:33 - Jan 9 with 2571 viewsKeithHaynes

Matt Grimes stat on 17:26 - Jan 9 by Dr_Winston

One day someone will be able to point out how Grimes is effective without resorting to statistics. That's basically all people can do.

None of them savour the crossfield passes, the through balls, the won tackles, the dribbles, the way he controls games or drives the team forward. Or makes almost anything interesting happen on the pitch They almost always can't.

Ask them to reel off his completed passes in the final xG with a retention quotient of 4.5 or some other such nonsense and they're in heaven.

You are right of course. Those of us who didn’t know what an XG was ( or is to be honest ) are with you on that. Leighton James a prime example, we recall his runs, his wizardry and guile of course.

Times have changed, massively.

I would love to see John Toshack’s XG or whatever by todays numbers. Leon Britton as an example had huge passing stats ( better than Messi ) but we only really recall his abrasive tackling in the Swansea midfield. Well, I do.

Oh, and that goal. Maybe there were two ?

Matt Grimes stat on 17:35 - Jan 9 with 2567 viewsLohengrin

Very lucky to have him

We are. The trouble is he’s become so much part of the furniture he gets taken for granted. It will dawn on people just how pivotal Matt has been when the day comes he’s not around anymore.

Fantastic player for us. 🏅

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Matt Grimes stat on 17:35 - Jan 9 with 2565 viewsDr_Winston

Matt Grimes stat on 17:33 - Jan 9 by KeithHaynes

You are right of course. Those of us who didn’t know what an XG was ( or is to be honest ) are with you on that. Leighton James a prime example, we recall his runs, his wizardry and guile of course.

Times have changed, massively.

I would love to see John Toshack’s XG or whatever by todays numbers. Leon Britton as an example had huge passing stats ( better than Messi ) but we only really recall his abrasive tackling in the Swansea midfield. Well, I do.

Oh, and that goal. Maybe there were two ?

Times are changing and I'm not entirely sure that I want to be a part of it.

The romance and flair is leaking out of the game, only to be replaced by tedious statistical analysis.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Matt Grimes stat on 17:37 - Jan 9 with 2549 viewsKeithHaynes

Matt Grimes stat on 17:35 - Jan 9 by Lohengrin

We are. The trouble is he’s become so much part of the furniture he gets taken for granted. It will dawn on people just how pivotal Matt has been when the day comes he’s not around anymore.

Fantastic player for us. 🏅

And we really miss Downes too.

Matt Grimes stat on 17:41 - Jan 9 with 2535 viewsLohengrin

Matt Grimes stat on 17:37 - Jan 9 by KeithHaynes

And we really miss Downes too.

The boys were saying exactly that on the way home from Bristol yesterday. If Flynn was still about everybody seemed to reckon we’d have been a shoo-in for the play-off places.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Matt Grimes stat on 17:57 - Jan 9 with 2503 viewsTreforys_Jack

Matt Grimes stat on 16:34 - Jan 9 by Whiterockin

Statistically our best player, rated by every manager we have had and apposition managers, stated by opposition players as our best player.

Yet not rated by some of our supporters, it's a strange world.

That's because he's safe and doesn't lose the ball, a poor man's Leon if you like, just wish he'd be a bit more adventurous, take a bit more responsibility offensively as the captain and one of the senior members of the squad.
Matt Grimes stat on 17:59 - Jan 9 with 2498 viewsKeithHaynes

Matt Grimes stat on 17:57 - Jan 9 by Treforys_Jack

That's because he's safe and doesn't lose the ball, a poor man's Leon if you like, just wish he'd be a bit more adventurous, take a bit more responsibility offensively as the captain and one of the senior members of the squad.

I wonder if we would sell him for a few million should a bid come in ?

Matt Grimes stat on 18:07 - Jan 9 with 2487 viewsTreforys_Jack

Matt Grimes stat on 17:59 - Jan 9 by KeithHaynes

I wonder if we would sell him for a few million should a bid come in ?

That's my point exactly, no bids ever seem to come for him.
Matt Grimes stat on 18:11 - Jan 9 with 2477 viewsKeithHaynes

Matt Grimes stat on 18:07 - Jan 9 by Treforys_Jack

Fulham possibly got closest, and for me had he wanted to leave he would have.
But he doesn’t want to, like Fulton.
Swansea is his home.

Matt Grimes stat on 19:02 - Jan 9 with 2445 viewsTreforys_Jack

Matt Grimes stat on 18:11 - Jan 9 by KeithHaynes

Fulham possibly got closest, and for me had he wanted to leave he would have.
But he doesn’t want to, like Fulton.
Swansea is his home.

That's a tad romantic, footballers are all mercenaries Keith, and if a good enough offer had come in, he'd have been offski.
Matt Grimes stat on 19:13 - Jan 9 with 2437 viewsswancity

Grimes is an excellent midfielder. Always heavily involved, he has a wide range of passing. With an outstanding first touch he can receive a ball in tight positions and retain possession. I’d like to see him shoot more but he mainly plays in a deeper role, always available to take the ball from the defenders. Can and does open up defences with his vision but he’s ideally suited to our way of playing.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Matt Grimes stat on 19:37 - Jan 9 with 2412 viewsSullutaCreturned

Matt Grimes stat on 19:13 - Jan 9 by swancity

Grimes is an excellent midfielder. Always heavily involved, he has a wide range of passing. With an outstanding first touch he can receive a ball in tight positions and retain possession. I’d like to see him shoot more but he mainly plays in a deeper role, always available to take the ball from the defenders. Can and does open up defences with his vision but he’s ideally suited to our way of playing.

So you're saying he's ideally suited to slow, monotonous football. ideally suited to a team with one win from the last 11?

Who put this stat out there, who compiled it and what actually counts as a line breaking pass because by the description of it, I don't recall seeing very many of these line breaking passes at home games and definitely not at Huddersfield.

I'm wth Dr W, when good players are decided by stats in the way we are seeing and what happens on the pitch is somehow not the right evidence, when all the fun is coached out of the game ( as has happened with Rugby) and when we are told what is good football and expected to lap it up then maybe enough is enough.

We are slow and boring to watch, not because we have to be but merely because our manager refuses to let our squad playto it's strengths. it's all been said many times.

maybe my problem is really just my age, though others my age and older seem to be lappng up this nonsense we have to endure. I grew up watching bad football, 1972, not classic years for SCFC. Then I was spoilt, we played fast, flowing, attacking football. We were combative football and we rose up to Division One. Then it all went sour again and times turned bad beofre we came again.

Maybe now we are due the bad times again? Whatever you say, I'm certainly not enjoying the football, with the odd exception here and there.
Matt Grimes stat on 19:43 - Jan 9 with 2407 viewsEagleEye

Matt Grimes stat on 18:07 - Jan 9 by Treforys_Jack

Don’t recall many bids coming in for Leon back in the day except Sheff Utd.

Grimes is a key player for Martinball like it or not. As he was for Cooper & Potter before him. Much underrated by so many in this forum yet a key part to the possession based football that everyone advocates as the way they want us to play. We’d be a much poorer team without him, one of the best players in his position in the Championship
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024