Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tesco Mobile Scam 10:25 - Jan 10 with 5712 viewsE17hoop

Someone has taken a Tesco Mobile phone out using my address. I noticed a credit search the other week from them and thought it was my son's partner since she used to work with them.

Then on the week between Christmas and New Year DPD delivered a parcel. My youngest took it in and 30 seconds later another guy knocked on the door, said his mate on the van hadn't scanned the parcel correctly, and took it back.

I got a letter at the end of last week congratulating me on my new Tesco mobile. I called them immediately and they referred to their fraud section. I registered it with ActionFraud immediately as well.

Anyone else have this happen?

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: How has this season been?

Tesco Mobile Scam on 10:34 - Jan 10 with 5656 viewsTripper

Had exactly the same thing last year, I subscribe to ClearScore and it appeared followed by the welcome letter shortly after. I had to email tescofraud@o2.com as well as action fraud.

In fairness it was all sorted out pretty quickly.
Tesco Mobile Scam on 17:40 - Jan 10 with 5255 viewsenfieldargh

Shred every letter/envelope you chuck, take off labels from parcels/cardboard you put in the bin.

The world is full of knuts.

We even had some on the pitch over the weekend

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Tesco Mobile Scam on 19:11 - Jan 10 with 5131 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Make sure you nip this in the bud early before it gets ugly. Request a letter from Tesco Mobile confirming that it is fraud. You can then use this letter to ward off any other companies this individual may target.

My late mum (who lived alone) had a long-running problem with a unknown individual who opened several bank accounts and mobile phone contracts using her address. He would apply for an overdraft and withdraw the full amount. He would rack up huge mobile phone bills and then just move to the next network when the line was cut.

Debt recovery agents were constantly knocking on the door looking for the individual in question. Worse still, the local council performed a random credit check. They removed her single-person council tax discount and requested back payment because they believed that someone else was living at the property.

It took me 1.5 years to sort out. It was viscous circle because as soon as I alerted a debt recovery company that it was fraud they would sell the 'debt' to another debt recovery company rather than cancel it altogether. On one occasion, a welcome letter arrived from Lloyds TSB together with a statement showing a negligible balance. I immediately wrote to the branch manager and CEO to warn them that it was fraud. They ignored me and the individual duly withdrew the maximum agreed overdraft. To add insult to injury, Lloyds TSB then started recovery action.

Eventually Vodafone agreed to conduct an investigation and confirmed in writing that it was fraud. I sent copies of this letter to every organisation concerned and they all immediately cancelled the 'debt', stopped recovery action and removed her address from their records. The council then withdrew their claim and reinstated the council tax discount. As a Brucie bonus, Lloyds TSB awarded my mum £800 in compensation for failing to heed my warning. She gave me half and I enjoyed a holiday in Portugal.

A good result in the end but an utter nightmare that I hope I never experience again.
[Post edited 10 Jan 2023 19:13]
Tesco Mobile Scam on 19:26 - Jan 10 with 5118 viewsslmrstid

Tesco Mobile Scam on 19:11 - Jan 10 by Benny_the_Ball

Make sure you nip this in the bud early before it gets ugly. Request a letter from Tesco Mobile confirming that it is fraud. You can then use this letter to ward off any other companies this individual may target.

My late mum (who lived alone) had a long-running problem with a unknown individual who opened several bank accounts and mobile phone contracts using her address. He would apply for an overdraft and withdraw the full amount. He would rack up huge mobile phone bills and then just move to the next network when the line was cut.

Debt recovery agents were constantly knocking on the door looking for the individual in question. Worse still, the local council performed a random credit check. They removed her single-person council tax discount and requested back payment because they believed that someone else was living at the property.

It took me 1.5 years to sort out. It was viscous circle because as soon as I alerted a debt recovery company that it was fraud they would sell the 'debt' to another debt recovery company rather than cancel it altogether. On one occasion, a welcome letter arrived from Lloyds TSB together with a statement showing a negligible balance. I immediately wrote to the branch manager and CEO to warn them that it was fraud. They ignored me and the individual duly withdrew the maximum agreed overdraft. To add insult to injury, Lloyds TSB then started recovery action.

Eventually Vodafone agreed to conduct an investigation and confirmed in writing that it was fraud. I sent copies of this letter to every organisation concerned and they all immediately cancelled the 'debt', stopped recovery action and removed her address from their records. The council then withdrew their claim and reinstated the council tax discount. As a Brucie bonus, Lloyds TSB awarded my mum £800 in compensation for failing to heed my warning. She gave me half and I enjoyed a holiday in Portugal.

A good result in the end but an utter nightmare that I hope I never experience again.
[Post edited 10 Jan 2023 19:13]

Sorry you had to go through that Benny, sounds horrendous.

A friend of ours lost their eldest son to suicide last year, and part of what contributed to his state of mind in taking the decision he took was being the victim of fraud to the tune of several thousand pounds.

Recently my friend had to call some solicitors who were threatening the estate with recovery action for the debt, despite the fact it was being dealt with by the police at the time of death.

That said, the solicitors had not been informed by the debt management company that it was a fraud case and were actually quite angry that the circumstances hadn't been given to them, so there is that.

But what a horrible thing to live with.
Tesco Mobile Scam on 16:46 - Jan 11 with 4782 viewsBluce_Ree

I'm like Kurt Russell in The Thing now. I don't trust anyone. Don't be emailing me or phoning me because I'm not interested. If you've got an Indian accent, I'm hanging up. That's where 95% of scams start these days. Not being racist, it's just what it is. There's a lot of videos about Indian scam call centres etc. Report scam emails. Unsubscribe from mailing lists as people are getting your email from somewhere, right? Don't put your details out there.

E17, you did well to report it and bring it to peoples' attention. Right now every c*nt out there wants your money.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Tesco Mobile Scam on 17:01 - Jan 11 with 4739 viewsToast_R

I had a young man and woman (she was rather easy on the eye so caught me off guard) knock my door just before Christmas complete with clip boards and Open Reach name tags telling me my Broadband was going to be switched off whilst they replaced the cables and I'd need a new Modem which I should sign up to immediately with them so this can be prevented.

I told them they only installed the bloody cables recently and when they did I switched provider and got all the new equipment from said provider. They were quite pushy and said If I didn't there would be no internet in my house. I politely told them I wasn't interested and called Sky who do provide my internet and they confirmed they had no such works planned in the area and they were likely scammers. Bold as brass they were.
Tesco Mobile Scam on 17:05 - Jan 11 with 4709 viewsDavieQPR

I've still got a landline in case of emergencies. Only my kids, Virgin Media and the local council have ever had that number. Loads of scam calls on it. One of those two is selling details.
Tesco Mobile Scam on 18:34 - Jan 11 with 4630 viewsQPR_Hibs

Tesco Mobile Scam on 17:05 - Jan 11 by DavieQPR

I've still got a landline in case of emergencies. Only my kids, Virgin Media and the local council have ever had that number. Loads of scam calls on it. One of those two is selling details.

You called your kids Virgin and Media?

"Remember to listen to me but look at her. Don't get it the wrong way round. That would be hideous."

Login to get fewer ads

Tesco Mobile Scam on 18:58 - Jan 11 with 4595 viewsBluce_Ree

Only VM have my landline and we got scam calls on it. Ended up unplugging that shit.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Tesco Mobile Scam on 19:14 - Jan 11 with 4573 viewsstowmarketrange

I have the answerphone switched on all the time,and any number I don’t know gets left to go it.Those scam callers don’t leave a message,so they never get through.
Tesco Mobile Scam on 21:58 - Jan 11 with 4482 viewskensalriser

Spammers have software that calls randomly generated numbers and cycles until someone answers, your details have only been sold on if they know your name.

OPs delivery scam is a well known one. If something gets delivered to you that you don't recognise, hold on it and return it to the sender. Especially if someone turns up a minute later wanting it.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Tesco Mobile Scam on 15:25 - Jan 12 with 4205 viewsE17hoop

Another credit search has been undertaken by Tesco which appears to be another contract. Looking forward to meeting the person trying to intercept the phone.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: How has this season been?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024