Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pass back law 19:18 - Jan 21 with 6158 viewsQPR_John

We all know why it was introduced and it did it’s job. A minor infringement so an indirect free kick. But today it showed it has a flaw does anybody else agree with me it really should be a penalty. It was a deliberate foul to stop a goal scoring opportunity and being a foul in that the keeper cannot pick the ball up as any other player why not a penalty and a red card.
Pass back law on 19:28 - Jan 21 with 4829 viewsJules4367

Yep...I would agree, in principle.

But I am (as it always seems), frustrated with Rangers at their lack of thought, preparation etc for such an event and rare as they are, the idea of simply belting the ball at close range to 10 or so players rushing you is tantamount to stupidity.

You would think that somewhere, someone has written pass the ball backwards to the edge of the penalty box and then raise the ball in to one of the corners or at least over their heads as the defenders are likely to either miss the ball or duck.

Talking of getting the ball up...please please can we have someone who can take a corner and clear the first defender - sadly this is not Ilias Chair!
Pass back law on 20:05 - Jan 21 with 4711 viewsOldPedro

It should really be a penalty because an indirect free kick is not enough of a deterrent.

When taking it, if all we are going to do is shoot, then don't bother with the tap back - just shoot first time and hope it hits someone of the way in.

Also, having seen a replay on Twitter, the keeper is a yard off his line before the tap back to Chair, so he was encroaching. Should have been a retake.

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Pass back law on 20:21 - Jan 21 with 4642 viewsVancouverHoop

Pass back law on 20:05 - Jan 21 by OldPedro

It should really be a penalty because an indirect free kick is not enough of a deterrent.

When taking it, if all we are going to do is shoot, then don't bother with the tap back - just shoot first time and hope it hits someone of the way in.

Also, having seen a replay on Twitter, the keeper is a yard off his line before the tap back to Chair, so he was encroaching. Should have been a retake.

How often does it happen though? And when it does, like today, it's usually not intentional.

As it stands, as the comms said, all you can really do is blast it at the wall and hope for a deflection. Dykes had been subbed, otherwise he might have killed one of their players and we'd have got a rebound off the corpse.
Pass back law on 20:51 - Jan 21 with 4545 viewsQPR_John

Pass back law on 20:21 - Jan 21 by VancouverHoop

How often does it happen though? And when it does, like today, it's usually not intentional.

As it stands, as the comms said, all you can really do is blast it at the wall and hope for a deflection. Dykes had been subbed, otherwise he might have killed one of their players and we'd have got a rebound off the corpse.

Surely it is always intentional. A keeper not under pressure will not pick the ball up. It was definitely intentional today
[Post edited 21 Jan 2023 20:52]
Pass back law on 21:20 - Jan 21 with 4478 viewsVancouverHoop

Pass back law on 20:51 - Jan 21 by QPR_John

Surely it is always intentional. A keeper not under pressure will not pick the ball up. It was definitely intentional today
[Post edited 21 Jan 2023 20:52]

The fault is the passer's though. The keeper has no choice. In any case it ought to be a penalty. As there is/was a rule that you can't have indirect free kicks inside the area.
Pass back law on 21:22 - Jan 21 with 4475 viewsCateLeBonR

I thought their defender mis-hit it at the time. I haven't seen it back.
Pass back law on 21:43 - Jan 21 with 4415 viewsEsox_Lucius

Pass back law on 21:22 - Jan 21 by CateLeBonR

I thought their defender mis-hit it at the time. I haven't seen it back.

It was definitely a pass back with the intention for the GK to kick it clear, but he was closed down so quickly he chose to catch it instead. I was sat in the front row, MU which is right above the incident so had a clear view.
My query would be; if the defenders have to be 3m from the ball, why were they allowed to stand on the goal line which is <2m from the ball?

The grass is always greener.

Pass back law on 21:43 - Jan 21 with 4415 viewsQPR_John

Pass back law on 21:20 - Jan 21 by VancouverHoop

The fault is the passer's though. The keeper has no choice. In any case it ought to be a penalty. As there is/was a rule that you can't have indirect free kicks inside the area.

The keeper has every choice. A run of the mill back pass goes wrong and an attacker is impeded by the keeper who gets the red card not the passer
Login to get fewer ads

Pass back law on 21:44 - Jan 21 with 4406 viewsDWQPR

The keeper did have a choice, he had time to kick the ball for a corner certainly given that he had time to dive on the ball. But the free kick was taken with any thought whatsoever. Rather than blast the ball directly onto an on rushing keeper it should have been hit at an angle of around 45 degrees towards the right hand side of the goal where the onrushing defenders would have been further back and also give the chance for the ball to gain more height. Doesn’t take a genius to suss that one.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Pass back law on 21:47 - Jan 21 with 4399 viewsQPR_John

Pass back law on 21:43 - Jan 21 by Esox_Lucius

It was definitely a pass back with the intention for the GK to kick it clear, but he was closed down so quickly he chose to catch it instead. I was sat in the front row, MU which is right above the incident so had a clear view.
My query would be; if the defenders have to be 3m from the ball, why were they allowed to stand on the goal line which is <2m from the ball?

That’s the rule. 3 m or the boundary of the pitch which ever is smaller
Pass back law on 21:54 - Jan 21 with 4383 viewsterryb

Where would you have had them stand, behind the goal line?

Perhaps moving the ball back so the line is three metres (ten yards) would be better.
Pass back law on 22:44 - Jan 21 with 4289 viewsAntti_Heinola

Pass back law on 21:44 - Jan 21 by DWQPR

The keeper did have a choice, he had time to kick the ball for a corner certainly given that he had time to dive on the ball. But the free kick was taken with any thought whatsoever. Rather than blast the ball directly onto an on rushing keeper it should have been hit at an angle of around 45 degrees towards the right hand side of the goal where the onrushing defenders would have been further back and also give the chance for the ball to gain more height. Doesn’t take a genius to suss that one.

There was loads of thought - even I thought it was going to dykes not chair, as did their defence, and from 6 yards doing anything except a touch and shoot would be idiotic.

Bare bones.

Pass back law on 01:13 - Jan 22 with 4141 viewsgobbles

I always thought the best tactics for that is to ignore the touch and just blast it. Thus it deflects off someone on the line (making it indirect) rather than giving the defence and keeper a chance to come off the line and close it down.
Should have been Dykes taking it anyway.
Pass back law on 08:47 - Jan 22 with 3959 viewsdavman

Great rule, but a crap punishment. No-one was going to score 7 yards out when their players cram the goal and rush out.

The frustrating thing for me was that their guy clearly saved in with both arms above his head when he was spread like a goalkeeper and not one single person (apart from me) appealed.

The authorities do need to be more creative about the punishment though as an Indirect free that close in allowing the entire oppo to cram the goal is pointless. Maybe a direct free kick outside the area wherever the attacker wants it?

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Pass back law on 11:27 - Jan 22 with 3819 viewsOldPedro

Pass back law on 08:47 - Jan 22 by davman

Great rule, but a crap punishment. No-one was going to score 7 yards out when their players cram the goal and rush out.

The frustrating thing for me was that their guy clearly saved in with both arms above his head when he was spread like a goalkeeper and not one single person (apart from me) appealed.

The authorities do need to be more creative about the punishment though as an Indirect free that close in allowing the entire oppo to cram the goal is pointless. Maybe a direct free kick outside the area wherever the attacker wants it?

"The authorities do need to be more creative about the punishment though as an Indirect free that close in allowing the entire oppo to cram the goal is pointless. Maybe a direct free kick outside the area wherever the attacker wants it? "

Just make it a penalty.

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Pass back law on 11:55 - Jan 22 with 3766 viewsdavman

Pass back law on 11:27 - Jan 22 by OldPedro

"The authorities do need to be more creative about the punishment though as an Indirect free that close in allowing the entire oppo to cram the goal is pointless. Maybe a direct free kick outside the area wherever the attacker wants it? "

Just make it a penalty.

Yeah, that's probably the answer...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Pass back law on 12:50 - Jan 22 with 3723 viewsCateLeBonR

Yes seen it back now it was a pass back. I think the defender shapes to clear it but changes his mind last minute and opts for the keeper instead and kind of fluffs it. Which is what confused me.
Pass back law on 13:30 - Jan 22 with 3676 viewsLazyFan

Problem is, it is an indirect free-kick.

Really it should be direct. You still can wall off the goal line and have a keep in front of it. This way it has to be good strike just like a normal direct free kick to score.

We could try this new adaptation for a while and see how that works. Easy, change to make.

I bet this will be all over RefChat as the back pass is so rare these days. Its a good rule, imagine PNE in the old days when you could play it back.

zzzzzzzzzz

Pass back law on 13:41 - Jan 22 with 3647 viewsstanistheman

The keeper had a clear choice of picking it up and conceding a free kick (should be a penalty in my view) or trying to kick it (in all probability it would rebound off the attacker).

As for how it was taken, I agree that it should have gone further back and kicked towards a top corner, surely the likes of Chair, Willock, Roberts or Lowe are capable of such a shot. Blasting it at a keeper and 7 players on the line is , and was , futile.
Pass back law on 16:55 - Jan 22 with 3544 viewsPinnerPaul

The part of the law that prvents it being a direct free kick

Direct free kick offences: 12 - a handball offence (except for the goalkeeper within their penalty area)

and why its not a card

"The goalkeeper has the same restrictions on handling the ball as any other
player outside the penalty area. If the goalkeeper handles the ball inside their
penalty area when not permitted to do so, an indirect free kick is awarded but
there is no disciplinary sanction."
Pass back law on 17:39 - Jan 22 with 3495 viewsEastR

I'm not sure how much of an advantage it is to the attacking side to get an indirect fee kick inside the box and the closer it is to the goal that advantage diminishes anyway as the target gets smaller as the space fills with defenders.
We didn't help ourselves with Chair standing too far away from the ball allowing the defenders to close down even more after the initial touch.

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Pass back law on 17:44 - Jan 22 with 3477 viewsQPR_John

Pass back law on 16:55 - Jan 22 by PinnerPaul

The part of the law that prvents it being a direct free kick

Direct free kick offences: 12 - a handball offence (except for the goalkeeper within their penalty area)

and why its not a card

"The goalkeeper has the same restrictions on handling the ball as any other
player outside the penalty area. If the goalkeeper handles the ball inside their

“ If the goalkeeper handles the ball inside their

Accept that is the law my question is why should it be
(No subject) (n/t) on 18:57 - Jan 22 with 3406 viewsstanistheman

Pass back law on 22:13 - Jan 22 with 3278 viewsTerry49

Why not restrict the number of players allowed to stand on the goal line.
Pass back law on 22:47 - Jan 22 with 3235 viewstimjones

One idea might be to put a couple of players together on the line and for those players to either duck when the ball is struck or jump up in the air, depending on whether to shoot high or low. No player could stand in front of them and 2 players together would create a wider space to aim at.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024