Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pass back law 19:18 - Jan 21 with 6433 viewsQPR_John

We all know why it was introduced and it did it’s job. A minor infringement so an indirect free kick. But today it showed it has a flaw does anybody else agree with me it really should be a penalty. It was a deliberate foul to stop a goal scoring opportunity and being a foul in that the keeper cannot pick the ball up as any other player why not a penalty and a red card.
Pass back law on 22:54 - Jan 22 with 1337 viewsVancouverHoop

How often does an illegal back pass to the keeper happen in a typical divisional season? Once, twice, never? I can't imagine it's very often. And based on the frequency of matches these days, an consequent lack of practice time, I doubt it's something that's practiced by most teams.
Pass back law on 00:39 - Jan 23 with 1283 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Pass back law on 22:13 - Jan 22 by Terry49

Why not restrict the number of players allowed to stand on the goal line.

Finally a good answer Terry49.
Just take a page out of the GAA rules that had stood for 100 years and only allow 3 players in the net when its in the penalty area. (they changed it to just the keeper now )
Yesterday it was a total cluster fu*k and the QPR players were not prepared for that situation IMO.
How the defender got away with blocking it with his hands is shocking from the ref standing right there
Pass back law on 09:31 - Jan 23 with 1222 viewsfrancisbowles

If any other defending player picks up the ball, it is deliberate handball and a penalty and a card, red if DOGSO. Goalkeeper in this instance, breaks the rules, commits the same offence but the sanction is minimal.

If he had deliberately handled the ball outside the area, he has the same punishment as any other player.

Therefore let's not further complicate the laws by introducing words about how many players can stand wherever or the ball can be placed at players discretion etc..

Just call it was it is, deliberate handball, and award a penalty kick and a card, which in this instance, I would say was a red as he denied us the opportunity to block a clearance virtually in front of the goal.
Pass back law on 09:56 - Jan 23 with 1212 viewsQPR_John

Pass back law on 22:47 - Jan 22 by timjones

One idea might be to put a couple of players together on the line and for those players to either duck when the ball is struck or jump up in the air, depending on whether to shoot high or low. No player could stand in front of them and 2 players together would create a wider space to aim at.

New rule, this season I think

Where three or more defending team players form a ‘wall’, all attacking team players must remain at least 1 m (1 yd) from the ‘wall’ until the ball is in play.
Pass back law on 10:01 - Jan 23 with 1205 viewsTheChef

First time I'd seen one of those given in donkey's years, unsurprisingly not something they practice and hence the mothers meeting between the players as to who was going to hit the thing.

Given it's in the box and the closest equivalent is a penalty kick, then surely your penalty taker should hit it. So it should have been Dykes.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Pass back law on 13:47 - Jan 23 with 1125 viewsterryb

Pass back law on 09:56 - Jan 23 by QPR_John

New rule, this season I think

Where three or more defending team players form a ‘wall’, all attacking team players must remain at least 1 m (1 yd) from the ‘wall’ until the ball is in play.

I think it's been in for two or three seasons now John. Chair (or another of our players) was penalised for being within that distance last season.

Certainly all of our players would have needed to be a metre/yard in fromt of the line. Put five or six in front of them & that would have stopped the defenders being able to rush out though!

You should be able to make sure of a touch of the ball from a direct shot as well. Unless it hits you full on that would increase your chances of scoring!
Pass back law on 15:34 - Jan 23 with 1064 viewsPinnerPaul

Pass back law on 17:44 - Jan 22 by QPR_John

“ If the goalkeeper handles the ball inside their
penalty area when not permitted to do so, an indirect free kick is awarded but
there is no disciplinary sanction."

Accept that is the law my question is why should it be

Good question, especially when you read the next paragraph, that states if a GK breaks up a promising attack or stops a goal or obvious opportunity by touching the ball twice illegally, then he CAN be given a red or yellow card!
Pass back law on 15:35 - Jan 23 with 1064 viewsPinnerPaul

Pass back law on 21:43 - Jan 21 by Esox_Lucius

It was definitely a pass back with the intention for the GK to kick it clear, but he was closed down so quickly he chose to catch it instead. I was sat in the front row, MU which is right above the incident so had a clear view.
My query would be; if the defenders have to be 3m from the ball, why were they allowed to stand on the goal line which is <2m from the ball?

They can be 10 yards OR between the posts on the goal line.
Login to get fewer ads

Pass back law on 15:42 - Jan 23 with 1047 viewsQPR_John

Pass back law on 15:34 - Jan 23 by PinnerPaul

Good question, especially when you read the next paragraph, that states if a GK breaks up a promising attack or stops a goal or obvious opportunity by touching the ball twice illegally, then he CAN be given a red or yellow card!

How to complicate a simple game. It seems almost to be deliberate
Pass back law on 15:50 - Jan 23 with 1040 viewsPinnerPaul

Pass back law on 15:42 - Jan 23 by QPR_John

How to complicate a simple game. It seems almost to be deliberate

I agree, doesn't make much sense to me - here is the next paragraph

"there is no disciplinary sanction. However, if the offence is playing the ball a
second time (with or without the hand/arm) after a restart before it touches
another player, the goalkeeper must be sanctioned if the offence stops a
promising attack or denies an opponent or the opposing team a goal or an
obvious goal-scoring opportunity"

That's for say a free kick that a GK miskicks and its heading for an attacker so he then picks it up or kicks the ball again..

As you say, not sure why it can't be a yellow or red for Saturday - happens so rarely that hardly likely to cause a revolution if they changed it!
Pass back law on 22:54 - Jan 23 with 958 viewsNorthernr

Pass back law on 22:54 - Jan 22 by VancouverHoop

How often does an illegal back pass to the keeper happen in a typical divisional season? Once, twice, never? I can't imagine it's very often. And based on the frequency of matches these days, an consequent lack of practice time, I doubt it's something that's practiced by most teams.

I was actually trying to think of the last time I saw one in one of our games.

I know Pinner has said before that if there's any semblance of doubt they tend not to get given under the "not worth the hassle" protocol.
Pass back law on 08:20 - Jan 24 with 898 viewsTheChef

Pass back law on 22:54 - Jan 23 by Northernr

I know Pinner has said before that if there's any semblance of doubt they tend not to get given under the "not worth the hassle" protocol.

I've been going regularly for 25 years and I really couldn't think of us ever getting a back pass free kick.

Mind you I can't remember games from two weeks ago.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Pass back law on 10:47 - Jan 24 with 871 viewsstanistheman

Pass back law on 17:44 - Jan 22 by QPR_John

“ If the goalkeeper handles the ball inside their
penalty area when not permitted to do so, an indirect free kick is awarded but
there is no disciplinary sanction."

Accept that is the law my question is why should it be

It shouldn’t be the law as he should be judged as an outfield player because is forbidden to use his hands from a back pass. It’s just an anomaly in the rules that benefit keepers. If a player taking a penalty slips and hits the ball then he doesn’t get a retake. If a player loses grip on a throw in there is no retake. If a player touches the ball twice taking a free kick it gets awarded to the other team. Yet a keeper double touches a goal kick (as Hart did and Austin scored ) a retake is awarded. It just doesn’t make any sense.

There is no advantage in taking a free kick from 8 yards out and all 11 defending players behind the ball. The fact that they couldn’t even get the required 10 yards behind the ball should have meant that the free kick should have been moved back. This would have at least presented a better shooting opportunity.

The law on this needs changing and it won’t until it happens in higher profile matches than the Championship and involves the biggest clubs (if they lose out on the incident).
Pass back law on 11:38 - Jan 24 with 850 viewsEsox_Lucius

Pass back law on 13:30 - Jan 22 by LazyFan

Problem is, it is an indirect free-kick.

Really it should be direct. You still can wall off the goal line and have a keep in front of it. This way it has to be good strike just like a normal direct free kick to score.

We could try this new adaptation for a while and see how that works. Easy, change to make.

I bet this will be all over RefChat as the back pass is so rare these days. Its a good rule, imagine PNE in the old days when you could play it back.

If it is a direct free kick then it is a penalty surely? Possibly sending off too.

The grass is always greener.

Pass back law on 11:47 - Jan 24 with 841 viewsToast_R

It took Liverpool 30 years to win a league title again since that rule came in. They were the bloody masters of rolling the ball around the defence and back to Grobelaar.
Pass back law on 14:28 - Jan 24 with 814 viewsPinnerPaul

Pass back law on 22:54 - Jan 23 by Northernr

True and despite the oft quoted expression used as the the title for the thread the offence is actually "deliberatly kicks the ball" and the GK picks it up/touhes with his hand/arm.

Think we had one a few years back where a player used his knee to play the ball back and referee (rightly) called play on - much to the bemusement of 80% of LR at the time!

Nerd rider - A player can't use a "deliberate trick" to play the ball back - something like flick it up and head back or head when the ball is on the floor, something like that.

You then get into murky waters about it THEN being the player who has committed the trick not the GK..
However as that is even rarer than Saturday, lets not go there!
[Post edited 24 Jan 2023 14:29]
Pass back law on 14:38 - Jan 24 with 796 viewsAntti_Heinola

Pass back law on 14:28 - Jan 24 by PinnerPaul

True and despite the oft quoted expression used as the the title for the thread the offence is actually "deliberatly kicks the ball" and the GK picks it up/touhes with his hand/arm.

Think we had one a few years back where a player used his knee to play the ball back and referee (rightly) called play on - much to the bemusement of 80% of LR at the time!

Nerd rider - A player can't use a "deliberate trick" to play the ball back - something like flick it up and head back or head when the ball is on the floor, something like that.

You then get into murky waters about it THEN being the player who has committed the trick not the GK..
However as that is even rarer than Saturday, lets not go there!
[Post edited 24 Jan 2023 14:29]

Think I'm right in saying Pinner that in ther early days of the law, players were kneeling down to knee the ball back and stuff like that to get around the law, so they changed the wording to put something in about 'manufacturing' a back pass?

At school, in PE, we once had an instant where someone cleared a ball, it hit a player's back and the keeper picked it up. We convinced the teacher/ref to give us a free kick as it was a 'back' pass. Great times.

Bare bones.

Pass back law on 14:41 - Jan 24 with 786 viewsPinnerPaul

Pass back law on 14:38 - Jan 24 by Antti_Heinola

Think I'm right in saying Pinner that in ther early days of the law, players were kneeling down to knee the ball back and stuff like that to get around the law, so they changed the wording to put something in about 'manufacturing' a back pass?

At school, in PE, we once had an instant where someone cleared a ball, it hit a player's back and the keeper picked it up. We convinced the teacher/ref to give us a free kick as it was a 'back' pass. Great times.

1st paragraph, yes, you're right, because law specifically said "pass", as you say, as per, players thought they could get round it, hence the need to ban any "tricks"
Pass back law on 15:46 - Jan 24 with 741 viewsnumptydumpty

Penalty and definite card would be my solution.

Realistically a red card also as denied a clear.goalscoring opportunity.

Think I remember us having one and Wilkins tapped it to Les who from an angle blasted into the far top corner like an absolute rocket.

Need to take it from an angle to have a realistic hope of scoring but I would seriously worry about my crown jewels, having the ball belted at me from point blank range.

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024