Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Italy v England 19:29 - Mar 23 with 7767 viewsW12Mikey

Surprised ther isn’t a thread on this. Do we only care about QPR? To be honest, I usually find Euro qualifiers a bore, but I have to watch tonight. My mother-in-law who spent the first 94 years of her life being indifferent to football has suddenly become a fervent fan and insists I watch with her to explain the finer points (she is under the illusion that 20 years of watching QPR has given me some insight into how the game should be played). She was bitterly disappointed to learn that her favourite player Erling Haaland won’t be leading the line for England. Luckily she also loves Harry Kane.
My prediction 1-1 (Kane)
Italy v England on 10:37 - Mar 24 with 1989 viewsdaveB

Italy v England on 10:01 - Mar 24 by paulparker

Dave , can you name a worse Italian team in history than the current team they have now ?

As LBlock has said you can’t knock Southgates record but he has got it wrong when it counts in the last 3 tournaments, this England squad/team is probably top 3 in the world at the moment
Southgate is a nearly man and his treatment of Foden is shocking, he would struggle to get a top ten premier league gig

I've seen worse Italy teams although they are not great and not sure anyone is suggesting they are but never easy to beat at home.

Are we really top 3 in the world when the team has likes of Maguire and Phillips in, we're a good side but still quality wise short of France, Argentina, Brazil and Portugal. A real lack of back up players at the moment especially at centre half and up front

Whats wrong with the treatment of Foden? Guardiola is picking Grealish ahead of him as well

I'd agree he wouldn't get a top 10 premier league job but international football very different to sort of manager you need at club level, he's done pretty well
Italy v England on 10:38 - Mar 24 with 1973 viewsTheChef

Can't deny Southgate's success rate in qualifiers (haven't lost one since 2019 I think they were saying?) even if I find his conservative approach a bit frustrating given all the attacking talent at our disposal.

His main problem is his in-match decision making in the big games when the chips are down, which unfortunately doesn't seem to have improved.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Italy v England on 10:59 - Mar 24 with 1909 viewsNorthantsHoop

Thought Kane was tremendous last night, he is such a class striker, hope he gets to win a trophy at some point, unlikely to at Spurs though. Bellingham and Saka great talents, faded a bit but understandable did their jobs well. Rice deserves a mention he has become a very good player at international level. We have the ability just need the belief and for Southgate to make changes at the right time. But well done to beat an Italy team on their home soil in a competitive match for first time in 62 years not to be sniffed at.
Italy v England on 11:23 - Mar 24 with 1847 viewsJuzzie

This England team is good, very good. Probably the best in a long while. However, to suggest we should be rolling everyone over and winning Euro's and World Cups is not only a bit optimistic but it's also disrespectful to the other nations.
Italy v England on 15:47 - Mar 24 with 1605 viewsdigswellhoop

i think goal scorers tally should be without penalties
Italy v England on 16:21 - Mar 24 with 1562 viewsJuzzie

Italy v England on 15:47 - Mar 24 by digswellhoop

It's an interesting thought (a bit like I think caretaker managers should not count as part of a total of how many managers a club has had).

However, as goals go towards winning games I guess they need to count. besides, try telling a player it won't count!
(No subject) (n/t) on 17:44 - Mar 24 with 1396 viewspaulparker

Italy v England on 10:37 - Mar 24 by daveB

I've seen worse Italy teams although they are not great and not sure anyone is suggesting they are but never easy to beat at home.

Are we really top 3 in the world when the team has likes of Maguire and Phillips in, we're a good side but still quality wise short of France, Argentina, Brazil and Portugal. A real lack of back up players at the moment especially at centre half and up front

Whats wrong with the treatment of Foden? Guardiola is picking Grealish ahead of him as well

I'd agree he wouldn't get a top 10 premier league job but international football very different to sort of manager you need at club level, he's done pretty well

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Italy v England on 17:52 - Mar 24 with 1371 viewspaulparker

Italy v England on 10:37 - Mar 24 by daveB

Argentina may have won the World Cup but they are not better than us , they made the most of the luck they were given , something we don’t do
France were there for the taking but we bottled that game , Southgate even said himself there was no belief in the dressing room before the game , which is criminal coming from the manager , his subs in that game were extremely poor as well , Mount & Sterling were horrible changes
Portugal and Brazil I would say we are on a par if not slightly better , for our phillips they have Fred
Going back to Foden you have a boy who is world class talent but Southgate faffs about in picking him , look at the World Cup it took the media to get that boy in against Wales Southgate would rather picking mason Mount than him
Then go back to last night and he humiliates him by taking him off after 10 minutes to then put on Connor Gallagher

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Login to get fewer ads

Italy v England on 18:21 - Mar 24 with 1352 viewsdistortR

Italy v England on 17:52 - Mar 24 by paulparker

Argentina may have won the World Cup but they are not better than us , they made the most of the luck they were given , something we don’t do
France were there for the taking but we bottled that game , Southgate even said himself there was no belief in the dressing room before the game , which is criminal coming from the manager , his subs in that game were extremely poor as well , Mount & Sterling were horrible changes
Portugal and Brazil I would say we are on a par if not slightly better , for our phillips they have Fred
Going back to Foden you have a boy who is world class talent but Southgate faffs about in picking him , look at the World Cup it took the media to get that boy in against Wales Southgate would rather picking mason Mount than him
Then go back to last night and he humiliates him by taking him off after 10 minutes to then put on Connor Gallagher

My son showed me some stuff put together by a top American analytical company, doing the world cup for the first time. They had England as finalists going by the squad, but quarter finalists going by squad and coach.
[Post edited 24 Mar 2023 21:08]
Italy v England on 22:51 - Mar 24 with 1248 viewsKonk

Italy v England on 15:47 - Mar 24 by digswellhoop

As someone who’s seen Fulham miss about 194 penalties, I will never underestimate just how valuable it is to have a player who can tuck them away. Harry Kane is a genuine great and I love him even more because it wasn’t always obvious he’d be Premier league never mind a star.

EDIT: I may have been influenced by my Tottenham-supporting family banging on about him forever… but I genuinely love him as a player. Hard work, continual drive to improve, great finisher, fantastic provider; a really great footballer. Top lad too by all accounts.
[Post edited 24 Mar 2023 22:58]

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Italy v England on 00:27 - Mar 25 with 1178 viewsstowmarketrange

Italy v England on 22:51 - Mar 24 by Konk

As someone who’s seen Fulham miss about 194 penalties, I will never underestimate just how valuable it is to have a player who can tuck them away. Harry Kane is a genuine great and I love him even more because it wasn’t always obvious he’d be Premier league never mind a star.

EDIT: I may have been influenced by my Tottenham-supporting family banging on about him forever… but I genuinely love him as a player. Hard work, continual drive to improve, great finisher, fantastic provider; a really great footballer. Top lad too by all accounts.
[Post edited 24 Mar 2023 22:58]

And nothing to show for it all apart from being top scorer for spurs and England.
Italy v England on 04:23 - Mar 25 with 1140 viewsFredManRave

Italy v England on 00:27 - Mar 25 by stowmarketrange

And nothing to show for it all apart from being top scorer for spurs and England.

I can think of worse nothings.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Italy v England on 07:55 - Mar 25 with 1042 viewsTGRRRSSS

I wonder if Southgate should look at fresening his coaches up a bit.

Great win the other night and one must factor in the red car (another) but why do they seem to have this drop off and still when other teams alter things he and his coaches seem unable to do so despite some of the options they have.

They could have done with a proper outlet on the bench who could be used to run at Italy on the break, there are options but..

Worth remembering England were missing 1 or 2 players I'd consider as starters when fit.

Sterling for instance.
Italy v England on 10:37 - Mar 25 with 971 viewsdaveB

Italy v England on 17:52 - Mar 24 by paulparker

Not sure we bottled the France game, we lost it as we missed a penalty and didn't take our chances, was a 50/50 game and they can sometimes go against you

I'm not saying Southgate is perfect and would agree some of his subs in these big games have been poor but overall he's done well and I sadly don't see a single English alternative to him at the moment especially now Potter has made a mess of the Chelsea job

Fodens a tough one as I like him but he's not done it for England, you could argue given the form since the world cup that Rashford should have started ahead of him in that France game.
Taking him off the other night was just to try and bolster the midfield and defence after Shaw was sent off, went 5-3-1 with Saka going off as well
Italy v England on 11:08 - Mar 25 with 941 viewsTGRRRSSS

Taking Saka off thouh is kind of the pint, he was an outlet that could be used against a team streaming forward, without it they regressed even more.

Bit like in PLay Off Final when they kept Hoillett on and look what happened.

I know England won and you don't want to be too critical but these kinds of things are things I sometimes wonder with Southgate were he or his team transfer nerves on the pitch when actually a bit more belief and they could win much more comfortably.

There were times in the final 10 or 15 where England and the ball looked a bit hot potator like they did in many games of the previous 20 years. (up to 2016)
Italy v England on 11:40 - Mar 25 with 916 viewstraininvain

Italy v England on 11:08 - Mar 25 by TGRRRSSS

Taking Saka off thouh is kind of the pint, he was an outlet that could be used against a team streaming forward, without it they regressed even more.

Bit like in PLay Off Final when they kept Hoillett on and look what happened.

I know England won and you don't want to be too critical but these kinds of things are things I sometimes wonder with Southgate were he or his team transfer nerves on the pitch when actually a bit more belief and they could win much more comfortably.

There were times in the final 10 or 15 where England and the ball looked a bit hot potator like they did in many games of the previous 20 years. (up to 2016)

That’s assuming Saka isn’t tired and therefore less effective. I thought he looked leggy towards the end on Thursday but less so in the World Cup quarter final.

Sometimes we forget that a football match is between two teams. Italy were always going to put us under pressure in the second half after Grealish missed the chance to put the game to bed. It’s naive to think we can dominate for 90 minutes.

I thought we defended well for the most part with Maguire’s mistake the exception. Games eb and flow so it’s important to take chances when we’re in the ascendancy. I’m sure Southgate would like to see the team be a bit more clinical in big games.

Thinking back to the World Cup semi final vs Croatia and we had plenty of chances at 1-0 but didn’t take them. Likewise the Euros final at 1-0 and same story vs France at 1-1 in the second half.

That’s the difference between winning and losing major tournaments. Need to take those chances and punish the best teams or they’ll find a way to make you regret it.
Italy v England on 11:58 - Mar 25 with 858 viewsstowmarketrange

Italy v England on 04:23 - Mar 25 by FredManRave

I can think of worse nothings.

I’m sure he wouldn’t mind a winners medal or two to look back on when he gets old and grey.Records are there to be broken,but they can’t take away the memories of actually winning something.
Italy v England on 12:59 - Mar 25 with 791 viewsdistortR

Italy v England on 11:58 - Mar 25 by stowmarketrange

I’m sure he wouldn’t mind a winners medal or two to look back on when he gets old and grey.Records are there to be broken,but they can’t take away the memories of actually winning something.

that's why I prefer cd's.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024