Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bust up between Ainsworth with Willock, Johansen and Laird 07:19 - Apr 20 with 34815 viewsnumptydumpty

People are quoting this as fact prior to last night's game

Where's the evidence please ???
[Post edited 20 Apr 2023 7:20]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Bust up between Ainsworth with Willock, Johansen and Laird on 18:40 - Apr 20 with 2950 viewsNorthernr

One to print out for you here, but I think I do agree with Sakura on this, possibly because I listened to that same podcast with Ainsworth and Dobson when they joined and noted his comment about "we'll root them out" in one of his first interviews.

Ostensibly it makes no real sense to leave Ethan laird out completely when Kakay is injured and you're picking Aaron Drewe against Hernandez. To pretend that's a tactical decision is not kidding anybody. Now, we'll never know, because they won't even tell us about the injuries, we're kept totally in the dark, so maybe the conspiracy theories about a row or whatever are right - we'll never know.

But watching Willock, Johansen, Laird recently, listening to Ainsworth and what he holds as values and how he goes about it, that 'attitude' thing rings very true to me in my opinion. he'd rather have an inferior player who buys in to what he's doing, than a superior one who doesn't, because that's how he builds his team and his culture. laird, in particular, the fall off in his performances and availability and body language and attitude and everything since Beale left has been the most stark of all of them - I genuinely though we had a new Kyle Walker on our hands at watford away, and look at him now.

Whether it's right, whether it'll work, that's a different debate. he's now attempting to stay up while picking a team that, on paper, you'd never pick - Drewe over Laird, Adomah over Willock etc. But I think Sakura's post about why he's doing it is potentially spot on.
Bust up between Ainsworth with Willock, Johansen and Laird on 18:42 - Apr 20 with 2930 viewsE15Hoop

Bust up between Ainsworth with Willock, Johansen and Laird on 17:56 - Apr 20 by 1JD

The thing is that all of that is irrelevant if you are not getting results or performances. It sounds good in theory. But the big question is does removing individuals who don’t meet your work rate standards, benefit the side overall? In other words, do the pros outweigh the cons, of implementing this decision?

The evidence suggests not. The results and performances are not backing up Ainsworths methods and critical decisions. The reason is simple, when you start take your better individuals out, even though they don’t run as hard, you remove their quality, and you make the side inferior, not stronger. You might run harder, but running harder does not win games.
It’s why Chris Martin is playing, and Chris Willock is not. It’s why Albert gets the nod, over better, younger players.

Warnock understood the need for balance. Something Ainsworth does not understand at all as his belief is heavily geared towards work rate over talent.
It’s exactly why Warnock accommodated the magic of Tarrabt. Because he was a match winner. That’s the difference between Warnock - a top manager, and Ainsworth- a manager who is out of his depth at this level, and far too stuck in his ways and ideals.
[Post edited 20 Apr 2023 17:58]

JD: I need to disagree again with you on part of this.
I have no doubt that you're largely right about the work-rate v talent issue in our current predicament as you and I discussed after West Brom. However, I happened by accident to listen to the end of last night's first half on BBC Radio London, having got home from work late to find our internet was playing up at home and so I couldn't get on QPR+ until the start of the second half.
Former Charlton centre-back Steve Brown was co-commentating on our game (as he often does on Radio London).
He said, like me, that its a complete myth to say that GA is welded firmly to 442, and that he isn't keen to encourage ball players, and quoted a recent game (from earlier this season I think) where Wycombe gave Charlton a right royal seeing to by playing a very easy on the eye short, creative passing game.
Can't remember if I'm honest who he said were their standout players on the day, but he was very surprised, given what he'd heard previously about GA and very impressed.
As I said last week during our back and forth, this is all about doing whatever he thinks it takes to get us anchored in 21st by 5pm on May 8th, and to be fair to him, I thought it largely worked last night.
Bust up between Ainsworth with Willock, Johansen and Laird on 18:44 - Apr 20 with 2905 viewsbaz_qpr

Willock and Johansson are not suited to 4-4-2 I think those 2 are quite straight forward. Laird and Dozzell I think have been dropped for poor performances, think you could argue that Dozzell needs to be in a 3 as well.

Yes we got a point and it was little bit better but this has been a disastrous appointment regardless of staying up or not
Bust up between Ainsworth with Willock, Johansen and Laird on 18:48 - Apr 20 with 2869 viewscalHoop

Bust up between Ainsworth with Willock, Johansen and Laird on 17:07 - Apr 20 by PhilmyRs

Yeah, wouldn't surprise me if there's some truth in that and the commitment to the Team trumps everything else. You listed a few (Hill, Mackie, Kenny) from that great team for the intangible factors they bring to the team but the best of the bunch that special season was also probably the least team orientated player we've had, and a total dick by all accounts, but Warnock didn't just bin him off. He went further than that, he moulded the team around him.

Big thing on that is Hill and Derry and Kenny ran the team on the pitch. We don't have any leaders so GA making these calls, leaves him exposed in how the players look at him. If he does stay, and I'm absolutely not fussed either way, he'll bring in some big characters who will call this nonsense out and create much more of a team ethos, I'm pretty certain of that. They won't have the quality that some of these wasters had. Willock shouldn't play for this team again this season, after his "cameo" v Coventry. It was a disgraceful performance. And personally I might have shot Laird if I had a gun, after he whipped out the crowd following his 10 yard run and cross that hit the first man and went out for a corner.
Bust up between Ainsworth with Willock, Johansen and Laird on 18:53 - Apr 20 with 2818 views1JD

Bust up between Ainsworth with Willock, Johansen and Laird on 18:42 - Apr 20 by E15Hoop

I have no doubt that you're largely right about the work-rate v talent issue in our current predicament as you and I discussed after West Brom. However, I happened by accident to listen to the end of last night's first half on BBC Radio London, having got home from work late to find our internet was playing up at home and so I couldn't get on QPR+ until the start of the second half.
Former Charlton centre-back Steve Brown was co-commentating on our game (as he often does on Radio London).
He said, like me, that its a complete myth to say that GA is welded firmly to 442, and that he isn't keen to encourage ball players, and quoted a recent game (from earlier this season I think) where Wycombe gave Charlton a right royal seeing to by playing a very easy on the eye short, creative passing game.
Can't remember if I'm honest who he said were their standout players on the day, but he was very surprised, given what he'd heard previously about GA and very impressed.
As I said last week during our back and forth, this is all about doing whatever he thinks it takes to get us anchored in 21st by 5pm on May 8th, and to be fair to him, I thought it largely worked last night.

Check out this piece from George Elek, from the Not The Top 20 show, a well respected analyst who covers the EFL and lower leagues for several years now. It goes counter to everything you just said.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/scathing-gareth-ainsworth-verdict-given-as-efl
Bust up between Ainsworth with Willock, Johansen and Laird on 19:03 - Apr 20 with 2751 viewsBklynRanger

Bust up between Ainsworth with Willock, Johansen and Laird on 16:57 - Apr 20 by Sakura

I would point the conspiracy theorists on this thread to “The Football Psychology Show” Podcast with Ainsworth and Dobson from August 21.

In this they both make a big point about their emphasis on their absolute requirement for people who are committed to the team, the cause and aren’t just self-interested individuals. They actually talk about amongst other team building exercise their thinking on the infamous Hakka exercise. Would suggest you re-watch Willock in particular on that video to see part the reason he isn’t getting game time now.

Also Laird faking injuries is the antithesis of the culture that is clearly at the core of Ainsworths management and what he sees as his reasoning for his ability to over-achieve for so long with Wycombe.

When Willock gave the ball away for the second goal against Coventry his reaction was to throw his hands in the air and blame the person who made the run. That goes against everything in Ainsworths philosophy. Also we know at right wing Willock will not cover the right back so it was only off the striker he has a shout. Now I would personally of course pick Willock over Martin up but I can see why Ainsworth hasn't based on his philosophy .

But again would point the conspiracy theorists on here to the comments from Ainsworth around his emphasis on experience for why he neglected Willock.

Julio Cesar was a better footballer than Paddy Kenny. Jose Bosingwa and Samba were better defenders than Clint Hill. SWP has a much greater pedigree than Mackie but you drop them from the team for them poorer players because of the intangible reasons. Ainsworth puts an outsized emphasis on those intangible factors. That is why he is dropping the likes of Willock and Laird.

The bad attitude that Willock and Laird have so inarguably demonstrated these past months are why they aren’t playing. A bad egg can spoil the bunch.

Not saying I agree with it but I’m not buying the fantasists and conspiracy theorist reasoning here.
[Post edited 20 Apr 2023 17:01]

I find your pomposity a bit draining to be honest - what is the conspiracy that people are theorising about? That there was an argument at the training ground?

With the same players who you spend 4 or 5 unnecessary paragraphs telling us what we already know about them? Hardly a conspiracy is it then, if anything it's probably been coming.

Try a bit of brevity - you're not really imparting the great wisdom you think you are.
Bust up between Ainsworth with Willock, Johansen and Laird on 19:05 - Apr 20 with 2728 views1JD

Bust up between Ainsworth with Willock, Johansen and Laird on 18:28 - Apr 20 by Sakura

But the exact same point works in reverse. Which makes yours a none point

We didn't get results under Beale's last 6 games or Warburton's last 20 odd or Critchley's dozen or so either. The weight of sh*t has surprised Ainsworth I'm sure. The pace of progress is more like turning round an oil tanker.

I am not condoning his methods I just don't think the post Coventry away January 22 era has much to sing about either as you're suggesting it does and I am trying to explain what I see as his rationale

He would argue it’s about removing from our team it’s rotten flimsy core that has allowed us to go on these dreadful spirals under him, Beale, Critchley and Warburton.

If you listen to that podcast you’ll see what I mean

You’ve conveniently reviewed Beales period in isolation, and not as a whole, because it doesn’t support your argument. But the facts speak for themselves. It was 9 wins in 16 under Beale. With the same f**king squad.

So it’s complete bullshit to say this squad is shit. It’s weak in places, absolutely, and notably centre midfield. Good managers handle that, and others do not. For example, Beale countered our CM weakness, with three in the middle, but Critchley and Ainsworth are incredibly unable to work that out, and insist on playing a 2 to our continued detriment.

And in case you haven’t realised - Ainsworths methods are NOT working. He’s done absolutely nothing to help this side, and he has made us worse than ever.
Bust up between Ainsworth with Willock, Johansen and Laird on 19:07 - Apr 20 with 2712 viewsjoe90

Bust up between Ainsworth with Willock, Johansen and Laird on 19:03 - Apr 20 by BklynRanger

I find your pomposity a bit draining to be honest - what is the conspiracy that people are theorising about? That there was an argument at the training ground?

With the same players who you spend 4 or 5 unnecessary paragraphs telling us what we already know about them? Hardly a conspiracy is it then, if anything it's probably been coming.

Try a bit of brevity - you're not really imparting the great wisdom you think you are.

Apparently some of us have drunk the 'kool aid' and it's the players taking the piss...call me crazy but it seems to me the piss taking is little closer to home.
Login to get fewer ads

Bust up between Ainsworth with Willock, Johansen and Laird on 19:17 - Apr 20 with 2655 viewsBklynRanger

Bust up between Ainsworth with Willock, Johansen and Laird on 19:07 - Apr 20 by joe90

Apparently some of us have drunk the 'kool aid' and it's the players taking the piss...call me crazy but it seems to me the piss taking is little closer to home.

Seems to me it's a combination of factors, one of which is some of the players.
Bust up between Ainsworth with Willock, Johansen and Laird on 19:28 - Apr 20 with 2585 views1JD

Bust up between Ainsworth with Willock, Johansen and Laird on 18:40 - Apr 20 by Northernr

One to print out for you here, but I think I do agree with Sakura on this, possibly because I listened to that same podcast with Ainsworth and Dobson when they joined and noted his comment about "we'll root them out" in one of his first interviews.

Ostensibly it makes no real sense to leave Ethan laird out completely when Kakay is injured and you're picking Aaron Drewe against Hernandez. To pretend that's a tactical decision is not kidding anybody. Now, we'll never know, because they won't even tell us about the injuries, we're kept totally in the dark, so maybe the conspiracy theories about a row or whatever are right - we'll never know.

But watching Willock, Johansen, Laird recently, listening to Ainsworth and what he holds as values and how he goes about it, that 'attitude' thing rings very true to me in my opinion. he'd rather have an inferior player who buys in to what he's doing, than a superior one who doesn't, because that's how he builds his team and his culture. laird, in particular, the fall off in his performances and availability and body language and attitude and everything since Beale left has been the most stark of all of them - I genuinely though we had a new Kyle Walker on our hands at watford away, and look at him now.

Whether it's right, whether it'll work, that's a different debate. he's now attempting to stay up while picking a team that, on paper, you'd never pick - Drewe over Laird, Adomah over Willock etc. But I think Sakura's post about why he's doing it is potentially spot on.

He’s on record many times for his ideals at Wycombe and in his interviews with us so I don’t think there is any kind of debate as to why he is doing it, that’s a bit of given for me. I’m simply debating that it’s not the right call. We were 8 points clear and not in a relegation scrap. Of course it’s not sodding working!
Bust up between Ainsworth with Willock, Johansen and Laird on 19:36 - Apr 20 with 2544 viewsParkRoyalR

Bust up between Ainsworth with Willock, Johansen and Laird on 18:40 - Apr 20 by Northernr

This could be completely normal, and he could have been heading back to his car as he forgot his reading glasses, but 100% Ethan Laird was seen leaving the ground at 7.15pm last night.

Is there any possibility he did'nt even realise he was'nt in the match-day squad til fairly late yesterday evening?

Only ask as if he's turned up in full-kit early evening and then found out he's surplus to requirements, it looks like we could be reliant on Aaron Drewe at Right-Back for the final 3 games of the season.
Bust up between Ainsworth with Willock, Johansen and Laird on 19:42 - Apr 20 with 2519 viewsNorthernr

Bust up between Ainsworth with Willock, Johansen and Laird on 19:07 - Apr 20 by joe90

Goodness sake. It's really irritated you that comment hasn't it? Would it help if I withdraw it and apologise, or is this going to be a running theme now?

I am genuinely surprised that anybody thinks people like Laird and Roberts aren't taking the pis, aren't looking after themselves for next season rather than putting it all in to helping us, because for me the evidence is overwhelming. But life's too short so if I've offended you with the Kool Aid comment than I apologise for it.
Bust up between Ainsworth with Willock, Johansen and Laird on 19:56 - Apr 20 with 2417 viewsSakura

Bust up between Ainsworth with Willock, Johansen and Laird on 19:28 - Apr 20 by 1JD

He’s on record many times for his ideals at Wycombe and in his interviews with us so I don’t think there is any kind of debate as to why he is doing it, that’s a bit of given for me. I’m simply debating that it’s not the right call. We were 8 points clear and not in a relegation scrap. Of course it’s not sodding working!

Beale went on run of 1 point in his last 6 games. His brief run of good form that you cherry pick was a break from the terrible form we were in since Feb 22 under Warburton

And I am certainly not saying this squad is sh*t. But it is fall of fragile, shirkers like Roberts, Laird and Clarke Salter who Beale was yanking himself off over for us to sign. And they have now left us in it

Personally I though Field and Tim were excellent yesterday as a 2 until Tim ran out of stamina first game back. So you may prove wrong there

To make it a little more explicit for you to understand. My point is absolutely not that it has worked for Ainsworth so far. I was only commenting on the topic of the thread as to why he has picked a poorer footballer but with a better character

NorthernR even agrees with me on some of those points! End times indeed!!!

Your argument would be more persuading if the entire year before Ainsowrth arrived hadn't been terrible (brief run of form under Beale aside which was reliant on every shot Willock took often from outside the box going in and teams not yet having figured out his tactics with the full backs)

Also Ainsworth is being true to what we knew of him. Any criticism of him sticking to his principles should be directed at Les for appointing him and not Ainsworth
[Post edited 20 Apr 2023 19:58]
Bust up between Ainsworth with Willock, Johansen and Laird (n/t) on 19:58 - Apr 20 with 2433 viewsWhip_It

[Post edited 20 Apr 2023 20:02]
Bust up between Ainsworth with Willock, Johansen and Laird on 20:11 - Apr 20 with 2399 viewsjoe90

Bust up between Ainsworth with Willock, Johansen and Laird on 19:42 - Apr 20 by Northernr

Goodness sake. It's really irritated you that comment hasn't it? Would it help if I withdraw it and apologise, or is this going to be a running theme now?

I am genuinely surprised that anybody thinks people like Laird and Roberts aren't taking the pis, aren't looking after themselves for next season rather than putting it all in to helping us, because for me the evidence is overwhelming. But life's too short so if I've offended you with the Kool Aid comment than I apologise for it.

For some reason it really did annoy me. I appreciate you acknowledging it and won't mention it again.
Bust up between Ainsworth with Willock, Johansen and Laird on 20:27 - Apr 20 with 2286 viewswesty

Bust up between Ainsworth with Willock, Johansen and Laird on 18:42 - Apr 20 by E15Hoop

JD has an agenda against GA no matter what he does. He claims The players take it upon themselves to do their own thing their way apparently, yet he slags GA off for his tactical nouse, so that’s a bit of a contradiction. If as he claims GA is ignored by his players.

GA is no way set on a certain style no more than QPR have an identity in how they play. But you cannot tell that to certain people who cannot get past the fact that GA is the manager who came from little Wycombe. Who apparently had no other offers in his reign there which I’m pretty sure is an inaccurate assumption.
Bust up between Ainsworth with Willock, Johansen and Laird on 20:40 - Apr 20 with 2253 viewskropotkin41

I seems to me that the line "I find your pomposity a bit draining to be honest" should be immediately followed up by a challenge to a duel.... possibly at halftime at Loftus Road.....

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Bust up between Ainsworth with Willock, Johansen and Laird on 20:40 - Apr 20 with 2251 viewsNorthernr

Bust up between Ainsworth with Willock, Johansen and Laird on 20:11 - Apr 20 by joe90

For some reason it really did annoy me. I appreciate you acknowledging it and won't mention it again.

I think we’re all a bit on edge tbh mate.
Bust up between Ainsworth with Willock, Johansen and Laird on 21:03 - Apr 20 with 2126 viewsswisscottage

Geez,.

Laird's been pony for 6 months.
Willock's been pony for 6 months
Johannsen's been pony for 6 months.

Drewe, for all his defensive frailties gives us more attacking threat with his long throw than Laird's ability to hit the defender every single time.
Willock is just a shocking liability and a waste of a shirt these days as is Johansen.

Why does there have to be any conspiracy theory at all about them not being selected?
Bust up between Ainsworth with Willock, Johansen and Laird on 21:06 - Apr 20 with 2100 viewsE15Hoop

Bust up between Ainsworth with Willock, Johansen and Laird on 20:27 - Apr 20 by westy

JD has an agenda against GA no matter what he does. He claims The players take it upon themselves to do their own thing their way apparently, yet he slags GA off for his tactical nouse, so that’s a bit of a contradiction. If as he claims GA is ignored by his players.

GA is no way set on a certain style no more than QPR have an identity in how they play. But you cannot tell that to certain people who cannot get past the fact that GA is the manager who came from little Wycombe. Who apparently had no other offers in his reign there which I’m pretty sure is an inaccurate assumption.

Thanks, Westy. I've tried to be as objective as possible in everything I've posted, so its helpful to know I'm not a complete twot. (Partial maybe, but not complete... )
Bust up between Ainsworth with Willock, Johansen and Laird on 22:11 - Apr 20 with 1920 viewsKingy1968

I’ve heard this today on good authority that the rumours are all true. Willock, Dickie, Laird and johanson have been laughing at Ainsworth, at the way he dresses and his tactics.
The training ground is toxic. Les is definitely leaving at the end of the season. They’ve all been dropped fully and they all want out of the club. Apparently Willock is going Rangers for a nominal fee, Chair is off to the bondesleague (sp?). Things are a lot worse down there than people thought.

I haven’t posted for years but read this site every day. I’ve asked permission from the person who gave me this information and he was fine with that. Also heard the same thing from a mate of a B team player.

I would not come on here spouting nonsense. These are sad facts.
Bust up between Ainsworth with Willock, Johansen and Laird on 22:28 - Apr 20 with 1868 viewsnumptydumpty

Bust up between Ainsworth with Willock, Johansen and Laird on 08:06 - Apr 20 by gazza1

Well I find it difficult to understand why he left all them out of the team.....

The Club Captain and Laird especially becuase he is better player & more experienced than Drewe.

Willock has not been playing very well, poor I would say so understandable but perhaps on the bench.

But none of them on the teamsheet.

PS - How do you know he does not rate Willock?? Specualtion??

My suggestion he not rate Willock is because he doesn't pick him in the first eleven.

That's a fact not speculation.

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Bust up between Ainsworth with Willock, Johansen and Laird on 22:44 - Apr 20 with 1812 viewsDejR_vu

Bust up between Ainsworth with Willock, Johansen and Laird on 22:11 - Apr 20 by Kingy1968

I’ve heard this today on good authority that the rumours are all true. Willock, Dickie, Laird and johanson have been laughing at Ainsworth, at the way he dresses and his tactics.
The training ground is toxic. Les is definitely leaving at the end of the season. They’ve all been dropped fully and they all want out of the club. Apparently Willock is going Rangers for a nominal fee, Chair is off to the bondesleague (sp?). Things are a lot worse down there than people thought.

I haven’t posted for years but read this site every day. I’ve asked permission from the person who gave me this information and he was fine with that. Also heard the same thing from a mate of a B team player.

I would not come on here spouting nonsense. These are sad facts.

Dickie laughing at someone else? Has he watched back his ‘performances’?

The Bealeshitter stealing Willock for buttons after we’re relegated would really be the ultimate kick in the b0llocks.

[Post edited 20 Apr 2023 22:49]

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Bust up between Ainsworth with Willock, Johansen and Laird on 22:57 - Apr 20 with 1786 viewswesty

Bust up between Ainsworth with Willock, Johansen and Laird on 22:44 - Apr 20 by DejR_vu

Dickie laughing at someone else? Has he watched back his ‘performances’?

The Bealeshitter stealing Willock for buttons after we’re relegated would really be the ultimate kick in the b0llocks.

[Post edited 20 Apr 2023 22:49]

Tbh Dickie ought to look at his own running style and movement and positioning if he wants a good laugh. Absolutely robbing a career
Bust up between Ainsworth with Willock, Johansen and Laird on 22:58 - Apr 20 with 1780 viewswesty

Bust up between Ainsworth with Willock, Johansen and Laird on 21:06 - Apr 20 by E15Hoop

Thanks, Westy. I've tried to be as objective as possible in everything I've posted, so its helpful to know I'm not a complete twot. (Partial maybe, but not complete... )

Haha Twot I’ve not heard that for many a year. Tbh we’re all going through the mincer right now. Total headfck this is turning out to be
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024