Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
First time posting 18:25 - May 8 with 2149 viewsSherryHoop

The Jerez thread flushed me out. Been reading for years.

Grew up in W12, season ticket in the early to mid 90s. Moved away and then to Spain. Watched about 30 games on TV this season.

Somehow have persuaded my kids to support QPR.

Very disappointed with how everything has turned out this season. Combination of poor recruitment, bad luck and some thing rotten in the culture at the club.

Hope GA and Dobbo can come up with a system that is effective and find some gems in the lower divisions. Not holding my breathe though. Try to take the Rs less personally these days.

Favourite cheese is semi cured sheep's cheese from the Cádiz mountains called Payoyo.
First time posting on 18:31 - May 8 with 2083 viewsDamo1962

Welcome to therapy 😉
First time posting on 18:35 - May 8 with 2068 viewsR_from_afar

Welcome to the madhouse!

"Somehow have persuaded my kids to support QPR". Wow, impressive Good on you

That cheese sounds intriguing. I like so many and just had some excellent ones on holiday in southern Crete but the French Fourme d'Ambert is one of my favourites. Apparently, it dates back to Roman times.

Ah, cheese, saving us from discussing the parlous state of our club since...forever...

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

First time posting on 19:28 - May 8 with 1906 viewsjohann28

Excellent cheese choice, sir. Sheep's cheeses really are something special - as sheep's milk contains far more fat, solids, and minerals than cow's milk, it is ideal for cheese; you'll probably know the Italian Pecorino Romano, which is also excellent.

Love Forme D'Ambert also - one of the finest mild blue cheeses around. Try with a full-bodied red such as Primitivo or a nice Cote du Rhone. Awesome!
[Post edited 8 May 2023 21:12]
First time posting on 19:35 - May 8 with 1861 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Welcome aboard.

Love sheep's cheese. Will try your recommendation.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

First time posting on 19:37 - May 8 with 1848 viewsKerryE

I somehow persuaded my 4 boys to follow the hoops.

Don't know what else to add really.
First time posting on 21:22 - May 8 with 1700 viewsMrSheen

So much for the cheese, any sherry tips? Love the stuff myself, like to know more.
First time posting on 21:31 - May 8 with 1673 viewsPaddyhoops

Welcome aboard . I’m astonished at the amount of young kids at Loftus roads brought along by their parents.
These kids are being thought a lesson in how to deal with failure on a monumental basis and the fact that they come out the other side to support us all thier lives us a credit to their parents.
First time posting on 21:33 - May 8 with 1671 viewsHooparoo

Welcome to the jungle. I also stupidly persuaded my kids to be Rs but now I feel guilty that I did. Probably condemned them to a life of frustration and heartache just like the rest of us.

WTF is going on at our club?

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Login to get fewer ads

First time posting on 23:26 - May 8 with 1554 viewsjohann28

First time posting on 21:22 - May 8 by MrSheen

So much for the cheese, any sherry tips? Love the stuff myself, like to know more.

Such a shame that Sherry has gone out of fashion. So, to cut it short, it can truly be deemed unique in that it can only be labelled as such if it is made in a certain place — in this case in the Jerez region of southern Spain, close to the port of Cadiz. And while versions of champagne and port are made all over the world — ok, they cannot call themselves that — sherry isn’t really made anywhere else.

Sherry wines also run the gamut from very dry to very sweet, but are made almost entirely from two grapes — palomino for the drier style (which runs from fino to palo cotardo) and pedro ximenez or PX for sweeter wines. Another unique aspect of sherry is that the grape juice is mostly aged under a type of yeast, called “flor”, to give it the distinctive, oxidised flavour. Like port, it is fortified with clear grape spirit after fermentation, but then most are aged using the “solera” barrel system, whereby younger wines are used to top up older ones; the finished wine can therefore be a complex fractional mixture of ages, which can stretch back centuries - in Shakespeare it's called 'sack', which Falstaff was fond of. But new aficionados know to drink bone-dry sherries, such as a fino or manzanilla, as you might drink a white wine. Richer, dry sherries, meanwhile, are perfect after-dinner sippers, and can also be great with charcuterie and game as well as hard cheeses. One more unique thing: the ultra-sweet PX version is the only wine you can pour over vanilla ice cream as a sauce. Oh yes.

My own top 5 are:
* Gonzalez Byass del duque amontillado - good wine shops
* M&S manzanilla.
* Bodegas Hidalgo la gitana manzanilla, Waitrose
* Tio Pepe palomino fino, Sainsbuys
* Tio Pepe fino 'en rama', Winesociety

Hope this helps.
First time posting on 23:36 - May 8 with 1535 viewsBoston

First time posting on 18:35 - May 8 by R_from_afar

Welcome to the madhouse!

"Somehow have persuaded my kids to support QPR". Wow, impressive Good on you

That cheese sounds intriguing. I like so many and just had some excellent ones on holiday in southern Crete but the French Fourme d'Ambert is one of my favourites. Apparently, it dates back to Roman times.

Ah, cheese, saving us from discussing the parlous state of our club since...forever...

Really, well something stinks...

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

First time posting on 15:38 - May 9 with 1331 viewsNewBee

First time posting on 19:28 - May 8 by johann28

Excellent cheese choice, sir. Sheep's cheeses really are something special - as sheep's milk contains far more fat, solids, and minerals than cow's milk, it is ideal for cheese; you'll probably know the Italian Pecorino Romano, which is also excellent.

Love Forme D'Ambert also - one of the finest mild blue cheeses around. Try with a full-bodied red such as Primitivo or a nice Cote du Rhone. Awesome!
[Post edited 8 May 2023 21:12]

Thank you for giving us the benefit of your expertise on sheeps cheese and Sherry etc.

But as a cheese lover myself, I feel compelled to add that the only "fine" blue cheese is one that is not blue at all.

For while I have to admit that I was always crap at chemistry at school, I'm still pretty sure that the blue in Stilton and Gorgonzola etc is scientifically indistinguishable from athlete's foot.

The very Devil's Cheese:
https://external-preview.redd.it/Qs557eujY51W-mRBdJvIPThu4fQKSMNqsTNVfuXgjEw.jpg
First time posting on 17:12 - May 9 with 1238 viewsMrSheen

First time posting on 23:26 - May 8 by johann28

Such a shame that Sherry has gone out of fashion. So, to cut it short, it can truly be deemed unique in that it can only be labelled as such if it is made in a certain place — in this case in the Jerez region of southern Spain, close to the port of Cadiz. And while versions of champagne and port are made all over the world — ok, they cannot call themselves that — sherry isn’t really made anywhere else.

Sherry wines also run the gamut from very dry to very sweet, but are made almost entirely from two grapes — palomino for the drier style (which runs from fino to palo cotardo) and pedro ximenez or PX for sweeter wines. Another unique aspect of sherry is that the grape juice is mostly aged under a type of yeast, called “flor”, to give it the distinctive, oxidised flavour. Like port, it is fortified with clear grape spirit after fermentation, but then most are aged using the “solera” barrel system, whereby younger wines are used to top up older ones; the finished wine can therefore be a complex fractional mixture of ages, which can stretch back centuries - in Shakespeare it's called 'sack', which Falstaff was fond of. But new aficionados know to drink bone-dry sherries, such as a fino or manzanilla, as you might drink a white wine. Richer, dry sherries, meanwhile, are perfect after-dinner sippers, and can also be great with charcuterie and game as well as hard cheeses. One more unique thing: the ultra-sweet PX version is the only wine you can pour over vanilla ice cream as a sauce. Oh yes.

My own top 5 are:
* Gonzalez Byass del duque amontillado - good wine shops
* M&S manzanilla.
* Bodegas Hidalgo la gitana manzanilla, Waitrose
* Tio Pepe palomino fino, Sainsbuys
* Tio Pepe fino 'en rama', Winesociety

Hope this helps.

You're obviously a dry man...love it myself but Wine Society Medium Sweet Oloroso is nectar, liquid Christmas pudding. So delicious it's criminal that I add a bit to gravy (which makes it the best gravy ever).
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024