Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
End of Term Report 22/23 — "Defence" 09:54 - May 19 with 6668 viewsNorthernr

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/60246
End of Term Report 22/23 — "Defence" on 11:02 - May 19 with 4339 viewsTeddRanger

Very good write up.

However...“ players who thought they were coming here to develop and get sold on” .

Surely implicitly or explicitly that’s the aim for every player bar those who play for the Top Four in the Prem, whether the club states that as the aim or not?
End of Term Report 22/23 — "Defence" on 11:07 - May 19 with 4325 viewsNorthernr

End of Term Report 22/23 — "Defence" on 11:02 - May 19 by TeddRanger

Very good write up.

However...“ players who thought they were coming here to develop and get sold on” .

Surely implicitly or explicitly that’s the aim for every player bar those who play for the Top Four in the Prem, whether the club states that as the aim or not?

Not quite. Adomah... Balogun... Martin?
Players like Scowen, for whom the move to QPR IS the big move...
End of Term Report 22/23 — "Defence" on 11:15 - May 19 with 4293 viewsAntti_Heinola

Great write-up, can't argue with any of it, nor would I want to, having read the description of your chat with Dickie (I didn't see that one, must've been one of the games I wisely ducked out of).

Bare bones.

End of Term Report 22/23 — "Defence" on 11:23 - May 19 with 4268 viewsSAPilgrim

Jimmy’s been one of the saddest declines this season for me. Along with the shift in formation, I think not having Yoann alongside him and Dickie and instead having players like Balogun who bail at the first sign of exertion has led to some of his write the theme song sing the theme song brainfarts.
End of Term Report 22/23 — "Defence" on 11:37 - May 19 with 4202 viewsLazyFan

End of Term Report 22/23 — "Defence" on 11:07 - May 19 by Northernr

And Ball, that was his big move.

Kakay should have got a full C, as he's often dropped in and out of the team. And asked to fill in positions he does not like to play, Left Back, for example. This is very disruptive for a defender, so he's done a decent job for us, especially as the other defenders didn't cover for him at all.

We still need a CB and a RB, at least for next season.

I suspect if we cannot find a CB, then Balagon will be retained as a desperate measure, and that's why he's still being kept on the hook. I would guess that's the thinking.

However, this time I suspect they will feed him one of those taking the pish contracts they did in the past to drive off Barbs and see if he takes it. If that does occur, I bet he does, as that's all he can get.

So, RB will be the priority first signing I would expect this summer. Then the sales of whatever we can get for whoever will dictate the next set of signings.

zzzzzzzzzz

End of Term Report 22/23 — "Defence" on 11:58 - May 19 with 4093 viewsAntti_Heinola

End of Term Report 22/23 — "Defence" on 11:23 - May 19 by SAPilgrim

Jimmy’s been one of the saddest declines this season for me. Along with the shift in formation, I think not having Yoann alongside him and Dickie and instead having players like Balogun who bail at the first sign of exertion has led to some of his write the theme song sing the theme song brainfarts.

I think Jimmy will come good though.

I always think CBs reach a real peak at 29-33, when they really know the game. Even the best CBs don't fully get there until that sort of age.

Bare bones.

End of Term Report 22/23 — "Defence" on 12:04 - May 19 with 4070 viewsMrSheen

Thanks and commiserations for this work Clive, it must be like cleaning out the pig-shed with a dustpan and brush. But if you said this about Rob Dickie...
"I have rarely seen a player so clearly desperately in need of being taken out of the firing line."
...what have you got in reserve for Luke Amos?
End of Term Report 22/23 — "Defence" on 12:06 - May 19 with 4063 viewsE17hoop

At least we now know who broke Dickie.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

Login to get fewer ads

End of Term Report 22/23 — "Defence" on 12:16 - May 19 with 4021 viewsWegerles_Stairs

End of Term Report 22/23 — "Defence" on 11:37 - May 19 by LazyFan

And Ball, that was his big move.

Kakay should have got a full C, as he's often dropped in and out of the team. And asked to fill in positions he does not like to play, Left Back, for example. This is very disruptive for a defender, so he's done a decent job for us, especially as the other defenders didn't cover for him at all.

We still need a CB and a RB, at least for next season.

I suspect if we cannot find a CB, then Balagon will be retained as a desperate measure, and that's why he's still being kept on the hook. I would guess that's the thinking.

However, this time I suspect they will feed him one of those taking the pish contracts they did in the past to drive off Barbs and see if he takes it. If that does occur, I bet he does, as that's all he can get.

So, RB will be the priority first signing I would expect this summer. Then the sales of whatever we can get for whoever will dictate the next set of signings.

Seriously, if the clowns running things are retaining Balogun after last season then that really is it. Wasn't he seen in Glasgow recently anyway?

Do your job - find us a centre back. If you can't do that, then find another job.

I'd forgotten that we gazumped Coventry for JCS. I suppose if you want an easy four-year contract with no standards and no expectations, then he chose right.
End of Term Report 22/23 — "Defence" on 13:31 - May 19 with 3828 viewsTheChef

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

End of Term Report 22/23 — "Defence" on 13:39 - May 19 with 3791 viewsCateLeBonR

If I were going to be a footballer then I’d want to play like Kenny Paal. I remember watching his FC Zwolle show-reel video last summer and one of his strengths was going forward making straight runs from the halfway line up to the left edge of the box.

I was quite excited at how he’d link up with Willock and in particular Chair. Obviously after his brilliant start to the season Willock wasn’t around and I never felt he ever really gelled with Chair, except on a few rare occasions. I wonder whether he would benefit more playing with an out and out winger and a Dom Ball type holding midfielder who will slot in behind him when he goes forward. I also worry that along with quite a few others he won’t fit in with ‘Ainsworth’s style of play’.

JCS performance record isn’t actually a whole lot worse than Barbet’s at the same age I think. So there is hope I guess. Looks a very good player if we can get him right.
End of Term Report 22/23 — "Defence" on 13:59 - May 19 with 3697 viewsPhilmyRs

Good write-up.

Was just trying to think of a time when a player of ours, a decent and well established one, has regressed as quickly as Dickie? The only contender I can think of would be Dieng. How can that happen? two players regressing at record levels and both playing in the same team. I'd probably add Impey to the list, thought he was quality and while he never dropped in form to the levels of Dickie and Dieng, he seemed to become quite predictable and no way near as threatening. Can't think of any others off the top of my head.
End of Term Report 22/23 — "Defence" on 14:04 - May 19 with 3667 viewsNorthernr

End of Term Report 22/23 — "Defence" on 13:59 - May 19 by PhilmyRs

Good write-up.

Was just trying to think of a time when a player of ours, a decent and well established one, has regressed as quickly as Dickie? The only contender I can think of would be Dieng. How can that happen? two players regressing at record levels and both playing in the same team. I'd probably add Impey to the list, thought he was quality and while he never dropped in form to the levels of Dickie and Dieng, he seemed to become quite predictable and no way near as threatening. Can't think of any others off the top of my head.

Steady on vicar, we’ve got the Willock review to come yet.
End of Term Report 22/23 — "Defence" on 14:12 - May 19 with 3621 viewsAntti_Heinola

End of Term Report 22/23 — "Defence" on 13:59 - May 19 by PhilmyRs

Good write-up.

Saying Dieng regressed to record levels is a bit much. He had a poor run of form, that's about it.

I'd throw Adam Bolder in. Absolutely superb on loan under Gregory, huge part of keeping us up. Following season, like a completely different human. Awful.

You could make an argument for Wardley as well. 14 goals from midfield one year, fell off a cliff soon after (although some would argue his goals were just freaks and he was always that bad).

Much more minor, but it is generally (and understandably) forgotten how Gorkss and Connolly lost a lot of form in our championship season, hence the arrival of a by then erratic Shittu. Not as acute, but it was a worry for a while.

Bare bones.

End of Term Report 22/23 — "Defence" on 14:20 - May 19 with 3595 viewsstevec

Fair report. I like Paal and like to think he’d be fine in a GA set up.

Eagerly await the reports on the Tyler brothers. If you have an F grade in your armoury I fully expect it to get an outing.
End of Term Report 22/23 — "Defence" on 14:32 - May 19 with 3567 viewsEastR

End of Term Report 22/23 — "Defence" on 14:20 - May 19 by stevec

Fair report. I like Paal and like to think he’d be fine in a GA set up.

Eagerly await the reports on the Tyler brothers. If you have an F grade in your armoury I fully expect it to get an outing.

yes Clive, what are the grades A-F?

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

End of Term Report 22/23 — "Defence" on 14:32 - May 19 with 3568 viewsPhilmyRs

End of Term Report 22/23 — "Defence" on 14:12 - May 19 by Antti_Heinola

Saying Dieng regressed to record levels is a bit much. He had a poor run of form, that's about it.

I'd throw Adam Bolder in. Absolutely superb on loan under Gregory, huge part of keeping us up. Following season, like a completely different human. Awful.

You could make an argument for Wardley as well. 14 goals from midfield one year, fell off a cliff soon after (although some would argue his goals were just freaks and he was always that bad).

Much more minor, but it is generally (and understandably) forgotten how Gorkss and Connolly lost a lot of form in our championship season, hence the arrival of a by then erratic Shittu. Not as acute, but it was a worry for a while.

Maybe a bit harsh on Dieng but I thought his drop in form was alarming, possibly more down to me being a big fan of his and thinking he'd fetch a decent transfer fee. I thought in the second half of the season he was really poor. It wasn't just the errors, and as shown in the goalkeeping review, there were a fair few. With the exception of one or two games, I don't really remember him winning us any points either. Last season I think he did.

Some interesting names you put forward but I'm thinking proper, established players - Dickie's 3rd full season? Wardely just had that purple patch and Bolder, I'm pretty certain hadn't played that many games although could be wrong. Agree both had alarming declines but don't think they meet the long term, established bar threshold.

Maybe I'd throw Barker into the mix as well. Thought he was pretty decent, then the season we got relegated from the Premier league I thought he'd really declined.
End of Term Report 22/23 — "Defence" on 14:40 - May 19 with 3541 viewsAntti_Heinola

End of Term Report 22/23 — "Defence" on 14:32 - May 19 by PhilmyRs

Maybe a bit harsh on Dieng but I thought his drop in form was alarming, possibly more down to me being a big fan of his and thinking he'd fetch a decent transfer fee. I thought in the second half of the season he was really poor. It wasn't just the errors, and as shown in the goalkeeping review, there were a fair few. With the exception of one or two games, I don't really remember him winning us any points either. Last season I think he did.

Some interesting names you put forward but I'm thinking proper, established players - Dickie's 3rd full season? Wardely just had that purple patch and Bolder, I'm pretty certain hadn't played that many games although could be wrong. Agree both had alarming declines but don't think they meet the long term, established bar threshold.

Maybe I'd throw Barker into the mix as well. Thought he was pretty decent, then the season we got relegated from the Premier league I thought he'd really declined.

Yeah those weren't realy established. Barker was solid for us even when we went down, but yeah I suppose age was catching up.
I don't think I've ever seen a player fall apart like Dickie did this season.

Andy Thomson went from deadly to fairly benign in a short space of time, but again, that was probably more of a purple patch.

Bare bones.

End of Term Report 22/23 — "Defence" on 14:54 - May 19 with 3494 viewsTeddRanger

End of Term Report 22/23 — "Defence" on 11:07 - May 19 by Northernr

Three of those four are very near the end (or should be) of their careers. The point has been raised repeatedly that people like Uncs and Balogun should have been signed 5-10 years ago.

It's great that people like Scowan see QPR as a major step up, but would he really not be thinking "a couple of good seasons here and I'll be in the Prem?". Only human nature and nothing to be blamed for.
End of Term Report 22/23 — "Defence" on 15:58 - May 19 with 3305 viewsNorthernr

End of Term Report 22/23 — "Defence" on 14:32 - May 19 by EastR

yes Clive, what are the grades A-F?

Well there's no As and no Bs at this point, one B/C, three Cs... a couple of Es.
End of Term Report 22/23 — "Defence" on 16:02 - May 19 with 3284 viewsAntti_Heinola

End of Term Report 22/23 — "Defence" on 14:54 - May 19 by TeddRanger

Three of those four are very near the end (or should be) of their careers. The point has been raised repeatedly that people like Uncs and Balogun should have been signed 5-10 years ago.

It's great that people like Scowan see QPR as a major step up, but would he really not be thinking "a couple of good seasons here and I'll be in the Prem?". Only human nature and nothing to be blamed for.

Yeah, I'm not really a fan of the...

'buy league one players get league one team'
'don't ever buy another aussie'
'no more loans'
'no more loans from man utd'
'no more nice academy boys'
'no signings over 30'
'only young and hungry'
'must have proven track record'
'no one with a track record of injury'

sort of takes. Why paint yourself into a corner? For every one of those categories you can find examples of great signings that show it not to be infallible.

The secret, and I realise I'm revealing a well-guarded secret, is just to sign good players.

Bare bones.

End of Term Report 22/23 — "Defence" on 16:08 - May 19 with 3277 viewsNorthernr

End of Term Report 22/23 — "Defence" on 16:02 - May 19 by Antti_Heinola

Yeah, I'm not really a fan of the...

'buy league one players get league one team'
'don't ever buy another aussie'
'no more loans'
'no more loans from man utd'
'no more nice academy boys'
'no signings over 30'
'only young and hungry'
'must have proven track record'
'no one with a track record of injury'

sort of takes. Why paint yourself into a corner? For every one of those categories you can find examples of great signings that show it not to be infallible.

The secret, and I realise I'm revealing a well-guarded secret, is just to sign good players.

Bit too close to Redknapp that conclusion mate. For me it's about balance, and our balance is wholly out of whack at the moment.
End of Term Report 22/23 — "Defence" on 16:50 - May 19 with 3188 viewsdaveB

End of Term Report 22/23 — "Defence" on 16:08 - May 19 by Northernr

Bit too close to Redknapp that conclusion mate. For me it's about balance, and our balance is wholly out of whack at the moment.

He is right though, it's very simplistic and Redknapp was always a bit well what can you do if every player isn't brilliant but if you have 6/7 good players in the team and a couple of workers who are alright you usually have a good team
End of Term Report 22/23 — "Defence" on 16:52 - May 19 with 3182 viewsNorthernr

End of Term Report 22/23 — "Defence" on 16:50 - May 19 by daveB

He is right though, it's very simplistic and Redknapp was always a bit well what can you do if every player isn't brilliant but if you have 6/7 good players in the team and a couple of workers who are alright you usually have a good team

Please let's not reach the "Redknapp was right" stage when I've still got two more of these bloody things to get out
End of Term Report 22/23 — "Defence" on 16:59 - May 19 with 3157 viewsDorse

'Mixamatosis and a flatulence problem'.

That, right there, is why LFW is a national treasure. I genuinely spat beer at that one. Thanks once again Norf: you, Sir, are a mensch.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024